Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Old 07-15-2015, 02:54 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smeckert
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HawGrbcJYUA

Yes because drones would help stop rope burns on the prisoners hand!
What a brilliant remark! Keep going.........
Old 07-15-2015, 04:30 PM
BobbyMcGee

I don't understand all the hype about these things as to why anyone wants to own one. First of all, they are flying shred-o-matics. Those spinning props will slice and dice anything they hit.

Secondly, the owner will look like a real dork when calibrating the compass. You have to hold the drone while turning around. Then, you have to hold it sideways and turn around again.
To top that off, when these things are turned on, they make several annoying beeping sounds. It sounds like a child's toy!

Yep! That will sure impress any woman who sees a grown man doing that!

Want to see a dork doing this on the beach?
Here's the link; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoTdK7izUAA

Just jump to the five minute mark and have a few laughs.
Just imagine three hot women watching this fool at the beach and laughing their heads off!
Old 07-15-2015, 09:25 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by HoundDog
After Following these threads U should have learned that there a few here that love to Bate others and then argue with them and will on occasion even agree with them. Be forewarned they only want to engage U in a meaningless debate that helps NO ONE but seems to satisfy some Alter Ego they have. It looks like U were "BATED" by one of the best. Some one that probably could find fault with Christ. Man Am I gona get it know.
Are you ever in big trouble now!!!

Ok, time for a bait and switch... Just as Jim pointed out, each club has latitude for being however they wish...And I am certainly in agreement...(did you catch the switch??) Sure, the club could decide to only allow green 40 size Kadets with ample dihedral if that's what they want. I am just trying to understand how the actions of a few causes sanctions against a whole group...because that is essentially the perceived fear everyone...well most everyone... laments over and over again in these forums??? Maybe, just maybe, holding each person individually accountable for their own actions is just not PC American any longer???

FWIW, Bruce mentions that they have some great pilots at his club...not sure why he mentions that but just to level that assertion so do we at our club...maybe we need a fly-off to settle this! LOL...although I fail to see any relevance to the subject at hand...but that would be fun...and isn't that what this hobby is really supposed to be about???

Alter Ego off... Back to regular scheduled programing...
Old 07-15-2015, 09:40 PM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by BobbyMcGee
I don't understand all the hype about these things as to why anyone wants to own one. First of all, they are flying shred-o-matics. Those spinning props will slice and dice anything they hit.

Secondly, the owner will look like a real dork when calibrating the compass. You have to hold the drone while turning around. Then, you have to hold it sideways and turn around again.
To top that off, when these things are turned on, they make several annoying beeping sounds. It sounds like a child's toy!

Just imagine three hot women watching this fool at the beach and laughing their heads off!
Good points! I always wondered why the babes are always chasing me...I fly 60 size glow...they know I must have it...err... going on...and they are so right!
Old 07-16-2015, 02:16 AM
bruceal

I mention great pilots and Pattern because the FAI sequence eats up a lot of sky, as does a 42% plane. Yet we have NO issues with them. With FPV,even in this most appropriate place to fly, we've had people fly in no fly zones. I thought this thread was about "drones" and the problems they create for us hobbyists? I stand by any law that prevents people from flying over people and personal property. And I also stand against beyond VLOS flying, just like the AMA and FAA. My county in New York is just one of many looking to restrict the use of "drones" whether they are flown FPV or not. Right now our hobby is being painted with a very broad brush by politicians that don't even know what the AMA is. They get their info from the news media and make a case out of it. There was a case of contraband being dropped in a jail in Florida. Just another excuse to ban something. We need to educate the public and show them that model aviation is a safe, fun and educational hobby. More clubs should consider doing events for the public, and get some local politicians there too. I expect LCS to criticize me and I don't give a damn, I don't appreciate being baited.

Last edited by bruceal; 07-16-2015 at 04:10 AM.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:03 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
Are you ever in big trouble now!!!

Ok, time for a bait and switch... Just as Jim pointed out, each club has latitude for being however they wish...And I am certainly in agreement...(did you catch the switch??) Sure, the club could decide to only allow green 40 size Kadets with ample dihedral if that's what they want. I am just trying to understand how the actions of a few causes sanctions against a whole group...because that is essentially the perceived fear everyone...well most everyone... laments over and over again in these forums??? Maybe, just maybe, holding each person individually accountable for their own actions is just not PC American any longer???

FWIW, Bruce mentions that they have some great pilots at his club...not sure why he mentions that but just to level that assertion so do we at our club...maybe we need a fly-off to settle this! LOL...although I fail to see any relevance to the subject at hand...but that would be fun...and isn't that what this hobby is really supposed to be about???

Alter Ego off... Back to regular scheduled programing...
LCS:
Amen ... This and other Forums do seem to wonder all over the place and forget what the thread is really all about, Don't we? Would be nice if "WE" stayed on the subject at hand ... something might even get accomplished. Now is that just wish full thinking or what?
Egos sometimes do get in the way, wouldn't U agree?
Old 07-16-2015, 06:19 AM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by bruceal
I don't appreciate being baited.
Bruce, I hate to say it but I think it only fair...but you took the bait. But it wasn't me doing the fishing. Hound dog put a thought in your mind about me and you swallowed it... I haven't baited you...not even one time!!! You were caught by a fish eating Dog...LOL...
Old 07-16-2015, 07:21 AM
littlecrankshaf

LCS:
Amen ... This and other Forums do seem to wonder all over the place and forget what the thread is really all about, Don't we? Would be nice if "WE" stayed on the subject at hand ... something might even get accomplished. Now is that just wish full thinking or what?
Egos sometimes do get in the way, wouldn't U agree?
HD, Even though you and I are about as far away on the spectrum in regards to the "authority oversight" philosophy as any two could possibly be, I respect your opinions but no doubt I will argue against them...and you know it...it is refreshing that we can do that in a fun and adult manner.

I think AMA's role, first and foremost is about education. We are the students and the teachers in this hobby. I truly believe education will ultimately prevail over most all of our concerns if we give it a chance. This FPV stuff is just a bit ahead of the curve for our current curriculum but to short circuit it with constant negativity will only produce retarded evolution of the hobby going forward and the possible demise of same/each. I think there are those wise people within AMA that truly understands that...unfortunately there are many others that feel AMA's role is to "control" model aviation instead of simply educating. We should lead by example...that is to show how FPV and other non-conventional or non-traditional aero-modeling can be done safely and without impinging on others in any negative way. That's right...instead of always showing the worst, we should try to show the best... I am perfectly fine with letting those that do not understand the difference to be held accountable for their lack of judgement. There is ample law on the books to allow such. We just have to get back to what has always been the best for all of use...We need to return to following the actual "rule of law" that once made this country great!
Old 07-16-2015, 09:01 AM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe, just maybe, holding each person individually accountable for their own actions is just not PC American any longer???
HD, Even though you and I are about as far away on the spectrum in regards to the "authority oversight" philosophy as any two could possibly be, I respect your opinions but no doubt I will argue against them...and you know it...it is refreshing that we can do that in a fun and adult manner.

I think AMA's role, first and foremost is about education. We are the students and the teachers in this hobby. I truly believe education will ultimately prevail over most all of our concerns if we give it a chance. This FPV stuff is just a bit ahead of the curve for our current curriculum but to short circuit it with constant negativity will only produce retarded evolution of the hobby going forward and the possible demise of same/each. I think there are those wise people within AMA that truly understands that...unfortunately there are many others that feel AMA's role is to "control" model aviation instead of simply educating. We should lead by example...that is to show how FPV and other non-conventional or non-traditional aero-modeling can be done safely and without impinging on others in any negative way. That's right...instead of always showing the worst, we should try to show the best... I am perfectly fine with letting those that do not understand the difference to be held accountable for their lack of judgement. There is ample law on the books to allow such. We just have to get back to what has always been the best for all of use...We need to return to following the actual "rule of law" that once made this country great!
That first quote says it all. There are no longer real laws in this country that hold anyone responsible for their actions, rather beliefs that x, y, or z should be prosecuted for a, b, and or c. If you doubt that, check out Mike Nifong and his activities.

As for you comments in the second quote, I have reservations about the AMA's ability or willingness to educate rather than control as the approach in use appears to be control to manage the collateral damage rather than educate so the difference between renegades and us is seen, recognized, accepted, and acted on. Having said that and having looked at the politrician class I am not convinced that education to that standard is possible by anyone, much less the AMA. Remember politricians AT ALL LEVELS are folks who do things for and by looks and they depend on the entertainment media for direction. Other people call the entertainment media 'the news'. This is heavy meat for a totally different very serious discussion but not for modeling.
Old 07-16-2015, 02:25 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Originally Posted by Jim Branaum
That first quote says it all. There are no longer real laws in this country that hold anyone responsible for their actions, rather beliefs that x, y, or z should be prosecuted for a, b, and or c. If you doubt that, check out Mike Nifong and his activities.

As for you comments in the second quote, I have reservations about the AMA's ability or willingness to educate rather than control as the approach in use appears to be control to manage the collateral damage rather than educate so the difference between renegades and us is seen, recognized, accepted, and acted on. Having said that and having looked at the politrician class I am not convinced that education to that standard is possible by anyone, much less the AMA. Remember politicians AT ALL LEVELS are folks who do things for and by looks and they depend on the entertainment media for direction. Other people call the entertainment media 'the news'. This is heavy meat for a totally different very serious discussion but not for modeling.
Jim: I agree with that statement. The AMA only " Makes Safety Suggestions for Flying". They do not control anything. The FAA makes Rules and suggestions, passed by Congress for Law, However, they do need to make new restrictions , where ""ALL R/C aircraft"" are not considered "Drones" in a catagory buy itself." Newly developed Quad Copters" make it clear.
R/C aircraft have been around for 50-75 years or so, and no problems surfaced until the latest invention of the "Quad Copter" with cameras within the last couple of years.
Airline Pilots has submitted numerous reports about this subject, but nothing has been done to correct it. Numerous Firefighting Crews powered by Props and jets, have been grounded by idiots flying around a fire, to capture a photograph of the fire.
These idiots, do not understand the very basic rules of Safety when flying, they just go ahead and do it,
It is time for US to come up with a Safety Plan that will serve the public and preserve our hobby as it is now.
If this is not done, we will see more regulations, more rules, and a slow destruction of this hobby as we see it today.

Last edited by FLAPHappy; 07-16-2015 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:48 AM
BobbyMcGee

Originally Posted by BobbyMcGee I don't understand all the hype about these things as to why anyone wants to own one. First of all, they are flying shred-o-matics. Those spinning props will slice and dice anything they hit.

Good points! I always wondered why the babes are always chasing me...I fly 60 size glow...they know I must have it...err... going on...and they are so right!
EXACTLY!

So, this is just one more reason ... and a major reason why we have to ban the drones. Because if we don't ban the drones, women and people who can't distinguish the difference will associate all those drone dorks with us!

WE CAN'T HAVE THAT!

Last edited by BobbyMcGee; 07-17-2015 at 01:52 AM.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:26 AM
hman123467

Originally Posted by AllModesR/C
I thought jet engines are designed to withstand geese being sucked into them? So how could a little drone be so "catastrophic?"
The lipos could possibly do some damage
Old 07-17-2015, 04:09 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by hman123467
The lipos could possibly do some damage
Although modern Turbo Fans should be able to survive ingesting an 8lb chicken.
It's been discussed here before but, there aren't many steel and Plastic 5 lb birds
flying around being ingested by Turbo Fans.
Old 07-17-2015, 04:26 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by BobbyMcGee;

EXACTLY!

[COLOR=#ff0000
So, this is just one more reason ... and a major reason why we have to ban the drones. Because if we don't ban the drones, women and people who can't distinguish the difference will associate all those drone dorks with us![/COLOR]

WE CAN'T HAVE THAT!
Bobby, Bobby, Bobby:
Out right banning of Quads (drones) Ain't Gona Happen. Where and when can be emphasized, and it is by Law (FAR's). Unfortunately like any law, there are people that just ignore them. Instead of Banning a billion dollar business, we have to make sure that the public & News Media knows the difference between the true R/C flyer and the Rouges.
It's been said here Before "When are we going to hold the Individual responsible for their Actions"? If we don't nothing can save us.
Old 07-17-2015, 04:50 AM
bentwings

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I hope this isn't a repost. I just saw a video from the UK that shows a Glock handgun mounted on a Quad. It's capable of firing an aimed shot about every 3 seconds. The builder is an 18 yr old from the U.S. It's pretty sick. The quad is not all that big either. The handgun weighs about 2 pounds with a full 16 round mag. This is definitely illegal and could result in some jail time

i didn't include the site/video as I don't know if it is appropriate or acceptable here.

its just a matter of time before a tragedy strikes.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:33 AM
Sport_Pilot

This is definitely illegal and could result in some jail time
It is actually not illegal, at least not on your own property anyway.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:43 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by bentwings
I hope this isn't a repost. I just saw a video from the UK that shows a Glock handgun mounted on a Quad. It's capable of firing an aimed shot about every 3 seconds. The builder is an 18 yr old from the U.S. It's pretty sick. The quad is not all that big either. The handgun weighs about 2 pounds with a full 16 round mag. This is definitely illegal and could result in some jail time

i didn't include the site/video as I don't know if it is appropriate or acceptable here.

its just a matter of time before a tragedy strikes
Two things I find unbelievable here.1.) Hand guns are Banned in the UK. 2.) The recoil of the Glock would knock this small "Quad" out of the air.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:47 AM
HoundDog

This is definitely illegal and could result in some jail time

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
It is actually not illegal, at least not on your own property anyway.
Sport:
All depends where U live. U can not discharge a firearm, If U live in a municipality the has Ordinances against the discharge of fire arms.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:51 AM
KC Air

[QUOTE=Sport_Pilot;12071343]It is actually not illegal, at least not on your own property anyway.[/QU

Maybe not in the UK, but the FAA forbids mounting weapons on aircraft in the USA, doesn't it?
Old 07-17-2015, 08:21 AM
Sport_Pilot

[QUOTE=KC Air;12071412]
It is actually not illegal, at least not on your own property anyway.[/QU

Maybe not in the UK, but the FAA forbids mounting weapons on aircraft in the USA, doesn't it?
I don't agree with the FAA that the regulation against mounting weapons on full scale certified aircraft applies to uncertified UAV's. Especially on your on property. This is more of the FAA saying that regulations that are clearly inappropriate for sUAV applies to them. Part 91 for example.

A year or two ago a TV show about gun modifications made a hex copter with a machine gun on it. They had license to own and sell machine guns.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:23 AM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Sport_Pilot;12071424]
Originally Posted by KC Air

I don't agree with the FAA that the regulation against mounting weapons on full scale certified aircraft applies to uncertified UAV's. Especially on your on property. This is more of the FAA saying that regulations that are clearly inappropriate for sUAV applies to them. Part 91 for example.

A year or two ago a TV show about gun modifications made a hex copter with a machine gun on it. They had license to own and sell machine guns.
Awww come on. This is NOTthe place to take the FAA to task for whatever it is you don't believe in or agree with. If you wish to tilt windmills with the FAA I can suggest the names of several very good aviation lawyers you can try to take your case, but please take your agreements/disagreements with the authorities private rather than waste a lot of bandwidth about the various legalities. Now if you happen to be a lawyer, please take your case to someone who can do something about it rather than spew forth you hopes and wishes on the members of this forum.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:32 PM
HoundDog

[QUOTE=KC Air;12071412]
It is actually not illegal, at least not on your own property anyway.[/QU

Not in Texas just paste this into youtube.com "helicopter hog HUNTING IN TEXAS"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYVkYyuRiII
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA5uOSkPcZ4
Old 07-17-2015, 01:01 PM
KC Air

Another reason why I will avoid Texas whenever possible

[QUOTE=HoundDog;12071528]
Originally Posted by KC Air
Not in Texas just paste this into youtube.com "helicopter hog HUNTING IN TEXAS"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYVkYyuRiII
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA5uOSkPcZ4
Old 07-17-2015, 01:14 PM
HoundDog

Two things I find unbelievable here.1.) Hand guns are Banned in the UK. 2.) The recoil of the Glock would knock this small "Quad" out of the air.
OOOPS looks like I was wrong
But this combined with FPV might prove fun.

http://www.businessinsider.com/hacke...ley+Insider%29

Last edited by HoundDog; 07-17-2015 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:14 PM
littlecrankshaf

[QUOTE=KC Air;12071542]Another reason why I will avoid Texas whenever possible

Makes geeky FPV videos seem pretty tame..huh?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.