Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Old 07-19-2015, 09:39 AM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

No I havent been talking with anyone here on RCU about this subject. Ive been watching patiently. I used to work in the RC industry and when I saw these products coming out I knew years ago this was bad news. Everybody has cashed in with Zero care or responsibility for the product or its uses. It can be usefull for certain things but in the wrong hands these are dangerous especially because they require very little skill to fly.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:33 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Chris, you and I are in total agreement but the guy on the street thinks other wise.
Old 07-19-2015, 02:52 PM
Jim Branaum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flycatch
Chris, you and I are in total agreement but the guy on the street thinks other wise.

And THAT, ladies, gentlemen, and germs is the problem in a nutshell. AMA cannot reach those unwilling or incapable of reading and applying logic and rational to the warnings given. I doubt the FAA will be able to either, so I actually expect some sort of hammer headed our way.
Old 07-19-2015, 04:08 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jim Branaum
And THAT, ladies, gentlemen, and germs is the problem in a nutshell. AMA cannot reach those unwilling or incapable of reading and applying logic and rational to the warnings given. I doubt the FAA will be able to either, so I actually expect some sort of hammer headed our way.
That is precisely why I've been advocating a Licence to fly anything R/C. This would separate us from them and hopefully make people responsible for their own actions. Hence not have some sort of hammer headed our way.
But alas many here see it as just more interference and regulation. So they seem to be OK with the inevitable Hammer.
Old 07-20-2015, 03:53 AM
Sport_Pilot

Sounds like you've been talking with Sport Pilot , Eh ?
I never said drone pose no threat to helicopters and older aircraft. I mearly pointed out that the airliners were built to newer higher standards. These firefighting aircraft are not. Also I never said that it's OK to fly drones around full scale aircraft.

I have a hunch that the video's show are from drones. I do not believe thay would have let reporting helicopters in the area. I fact I believe the TFR would not allow that.
Old 07-20-2015, 04:12 AM
Sport_Pilot

I do believe it will affect drone manufactures because I see bans and/or tracking devices headed their way.

Last edited by Sport_Pilot; 07-20-2015 at 04:20 AM.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:03 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Your hunch is wrong.
Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
I never said drone pose no threat to helicopters and older aircraft. I mearly pointed out that the airliners were built to newer higher standards. These firefighting aircraft are not. Also I never said that it's OK to fly drones around full scale aircraft.

I have a hunch that the video's show are from drones. I do not believe thay would have let reporting helicopters in the area. I fact I believe the TFR would not allow that.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:34 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

I do believe it will affect drone manufactures because I see bans and/or tracking devices headed their way.
Bans may be more likely since people can build their own. Consider this kid in Connecticut who built his own and mounnted a semiautomatic pistol to it, then showed youtube video of him shooting off the gun while flying.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:53 AM
Sport_Pilot

I agree but I do not know how that makes a ban more likely. You could require home built drones install a tracking device as well. OK so maybe they won't, but then they could remove a tracking device from a factory unit as well.. So there would have to be a really huge fine for flying one without the tracking device.

Just an idea, not saying it is a solution.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:55 AM
NorfolkSouthern

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rgburrill
Bans may be more likely since people can build their own. Consider this kid in Connecticut who built his own and mounnted a semiautomatic pistol to it, then showed youtube video of him shooting off the gun while flying.
And if a drone can be hand built, and modified to carry a firearm, then so can a standard .40 sized trainer. There is no way that I am aware of, to stop the proliferation of drones. They are model airplanes, and model airplanes are drones.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:46 PM
TimJ

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ac3_1435080329

Looks fake, but enjoy anyway. 737 takes out a drone.....
Old 07-20-2015, 01:59 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

I agree but I do not know how that makes a ban more likely. You could require home built drones install a tracking device as well. OK so maybe they won't, but then they could remove a tracking device from a factory unit as well.. So there would have to be a really huge fine for flying one without the tracking device.

Just an idea, not saying it is a solution.
Sport: I do agree with you on your last statement, but these things need to be tracked, with the purchasers name,address ph#. and AMA Number. They should be required to be an AMA Member before buying and approved, one of these items. Now, these nuts are doing their best to Ban our Hobby outside the U.S.A. Take a Look> http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2015/07/...ntcmp=features.

If you think our hobby is not in Jeopardy, take a nap, then get back to us when realizing is going to happen one fine day. Not pointing you out, just the protesters that think nothing is Wrong..

Last edited by FLAPHappy; 07-20-2015 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:12 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Just for Starters, a Fine for Flying a Drone within a 5 mile Radius and above 400FT. AGL . Fine imposed $5000.00 first Offense.
Second Offense,$10000.00. Third Offense, Prison, no Bail.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:44 PM
humpmaster

YES I agree! hi, new here but read the post, and we just had another incident where a drone was spotted over the cars on the highway that caught on fire, (fire crossed highway and caught some cars and trucks on fire!) so they had to ground the planes fighting the fire! that's just stupid of the drone guy! going to get some one killed! not to mention if he would have not flown it they might have been able to save the rigs from catching on fire in the first place! way to go idiot! hope your realize what you did!
also watched my neighbor launch a Helio right under our flight path to our airport, was up about 200 feet when it just quit! ooops! but just think if it would have crashed on someones head, car etc... it was not a small one and in a residential area! Idiot!
I am actually thinking about purchasing one my self, but to film crime and not to create trouble! where did peoples common sense go? right in the beer can!
but ya I here you, they are going to ruin it for everyone! (never fails, always a bad apple to spoil the pie)
take care! and be safe!
humpmaster out!
Old 07-20-2015, 02:50 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

why dont we forget drones for a month then see what happens iam starting to think this is a drone plance to talk about them
Old 07-20-2015, 02:57 PM
humpmaster

Wow! scary! glad I dont fly! you could clearly see the drone, it was up there too!
Old 07-20-2015, 04:28 PM
Fish07

Cool

http://avherald.com/h?article=48996163

More bad news
Old 07-20-2015, 06:17 PM
Chris Nicastro

The video of the drone hitting the winglet of the 737 is fake, theres another video showing how its made.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:46 PM
humpmaster

Yes I read that, but it's enough to convince me of the problem, should have to have a pilots license etc... to fly and only in approved air space, ceiling height should be limited as well, tracked just like a plane and the pilot is responsible for his/her actions!
like gun control except for drones! we need drone control! ohhh you know its the next best military thing, they all ready can make them fly in groups and follow each other! scary! have about 3000 of these little suckers flying around town, dropping amthrax and toxic chemicals, chemical warfare, not to mention guns and ammo, lazers etc.... here comes the terminator's, heck they dont even have to sit and fly them, just program it all in, hit the go button and off it goes! and comes back! like I said scary!
but they are also good for other things like filming scenery, movie productions, search and rescue etc...
just depends who's hands it is in!
take care and be safe! cccccccccyyyyyyyaaaaaaa! humpmaster out!
Old 07-20-2015, 06:51 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by TimJ
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ac3_1435080329

Looks fake, but enjoy anyway. 737 takes out a drone....
If it's a fake it's a darn good fake. If it were in the USA the Crap would have already hit the Fan.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:50 PM
Chris Nicastro

I watched it frame by frame if it was real that quad would be huge!
Old 07-20-2015, 09:34 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just seen on the news that a bill is being pushed in calif to fine RC operators $5000.00 for interfering with full scale aircraft because of recent incedents involving firefighting aircraft.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:36 PM
humpmaster

Ya but like he said and i did frame bye frame as well and the size looked pretty proportional to me! I have been recently looking at them online, and for one to be up that high it would have to be a high end drone costing up to and around $4000.00 with gps and all that, but I have noticed the higher end ones are much bigger! but the bad thing is once the wing was torn it started to self destruct! good thing it was close to the airport! another 30 minutes and it would have destroyed itself! and most likely the wing would have been torn off! bye just the wind force itself.
sure looked real to me!
anyway enough droning, got to get back to the RC thing! Race Car!
some guys have really gotten carried away with this subject in the forum! wow!
I am trying to be a good boy, have never lasted more than a few days on any forum before getting banned, rejected, shut down.
ohh well, I just call em as I see em!
cccccccyyyyyyyyaaaaaa!
take care and be safe!
Old 07-20-2015, 09:46 PM
humpmaster

OK one more time then I am done,
Sorry about not having an avatar, so I went and got one! now I am safe from the drones! the higher state of emergency that Ron White talks about on blue collar comedy: is, " get the helmet and put the helmet on" right?
so I am good right?
cccccccyyyyyyaaa!
Old 07-20-2015, 09:59 PM
humpmaster

Agreed!! very good Idea, but good luck, we just had a small helicopter crash in our area, started a major fire, just found out today the boy flying it was only 17?? and had his cousin whom was 16 with him! both fatalities! wow! turns out from what I heard the boy was legal?? and had his pilots license etc... would have never thought that would be possible but there ya go! I was aware many years ago that you did not have to have a pilots license to fly a kit plane, or "test plane" as they call it! ultralight's and helicopters as well! crazy! but then again they are much easier to spot than a drone! and are manned and most of them are smart enough not to get hit bye a jet or plane as they would be injured! or killed.
the world is a crazy place!
cccccyyyyyyaaaa!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.