Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Old 07-22-2015, 10:57 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
The only place where Quads (Drones) have become a problem is near Forest fires where they are using Fire fighting aircraft. They haven't presented a problem. The reason Fire Fighters like any one else, don't like them is they can be (Monday Morning Quarter Backed). Tough when someone that can't do the JOB, tells ya what U did wrong in the heat of the moment. Drone haters get over it they are here and here to stay.
I was at the EAA Airventure convention in Oshkosh WI. today, Tuesday, and there were no less the 5 forums on different Drone Topics form safety to commercial use as the FAA is concerned.
You are so full of crap.
Old 07-22-2015, 02:46 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only place where Quads (Drones) have become a problem is near Forest fires where they are using Fire fighting aircraft. They haven't presented a problem. The reason Fire Fighters like any one else, don't like them is they can be (Monday Morning Quarter Backed). Tough when someone that can't do the JOB, tells ya what U did wrong in the heat of the moment. Drone haters get over it they are here and here to stay.
I was at the EAA Airventure convention in Oshkosh WI. today, Tuesday, and there were no less the 5 forums on different Drone Topics form safety to commercial use as the FAA is concerned.
Hound Dog: I miss read your post.

Last edited by FLAPHappy; 07-22-2015 at 06:51 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 02:56 PM
FLAPHappy

HD: is this the news article you read??? There are more problems with the new Drones you may not be aware of.
http://fox11online.com/news/local/fo...eaa-airventure
Old 07-22-2015, 03:57 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rgburrill
Teh Army is working on a chain gun to bring down drones. It would be cool i they slaved it to helmet like the Apache. Go FGV (from the gunners view) on an FPV. That'l work.
When ever there is a natural disaster, Forest Fire or anything where there going to be Aircraft needed, the FAA will issue a TFR Temporary Flight Restrictions wich is an area described by Lat/Lon potion with a radius and altitude restriction. These are areas where nothing but approved flight operations allowed. Sense the FAA considers R/C Aircraft must meet the same FAR's and Rules as Full Scale Aircraft U would think these people could be prosecuted under the Regs. But then just as it's against the law to point a laser at any Full Scale plane or Heli, doesn't deter these people. over 2000 Incidents per year in the USA and the Nightly News just reported some 2 dozen or more occurrences last week end. So much for getting people to obey the law.

As for shooting down Drones this may case more problems than it would solve. What do U think a 4s 5000 ma Lipo after hit by a load of N0. 4 shot starts on fire and lands on some ones house and starts another fire?

Last edited by HoundDog; 07-22-2015 at 04:02 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:32 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

All thats needed is a jamming pod attached to all aircraft to jam frequencies in the range of model aircraft. Half mile radius from the aircraft would knock down any non-commercial unlicensed hobby grade vehicles.
This tech is off the shelf and would cost millions to implement but would shut this topic down while saving lives and property.
Old 07-23-2015, 04:15 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by rgburrill
You are so full of crap.
"What Ever" !
Who maid U the supreme authority?
Old 07-23-2015, 04:48 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

7-23-15 we need to put the dates down things that are written on here > so we dont read the same old thing
Old 07-23-2015, 07:34 AM
Smokeyr67

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Haven't noticed anyone post this, apologies if thats incorrect;

https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2015/0766

"Surveillance by a Drone; Prohibiting a person, a state agency, or a political subdivision from using a drone to capture an image of privately owned real property or of the owner, tenant, occupant, invitee, or licensee of such property with the intent to conduct surveillance without his or her written consent if a reasonable expectation of privacy exists; authorizing the use of a drone by a person or entity engaged in a business or profession licensed by the state in certain circumstances, etc."

Smokey
Old 07-23-2015, 08:29 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by [email protected]
7-23-15 we need to put the dates down things that are written on here > so we dont read the same old thing

Come on now
[email protected];
Look to left side of the blue line above your (name). Every post is time stamped
& if edited there is a line, after the text, saying when it was last edited and by whom.
Old 07-23-2015, 04:27 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

the same old things have been on here to long remove them and get someting new
Old 07-23-2015, 06:52 PM
FuzzyDice
My Feedback: (6)

Default Drone terrorism could be a reality

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/593...tivals-Britain

Get ready for govt. intervention when it happens . You know there are people who will try this . The idea of a jamming signal at large open events will have to be the norm to protect the populace .Don't believe the FAA at Oshkosh they always kiss butt and
tell you what you wanna hear .First tragedy in the U.S. bye bye R/C drones.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:10 AM
LJE4357
Banned
My Feedback: (74)

The Jammer is a great idea. But there is a major problem. Most modelers thank the the 2.4G frequency band ( 2.4000 Ghz. to 2.485 Ghz. ) is jam proof. Quite the contrary. The bandwith total is only 85 Mhz.. I have used my sweep generator to sweep the frequency on 4 different radios, and ALL the receivers were jammed, to the point that no data was transferred. And that was -10 dBm output. Also the max power level that can be used on that band is 6 W. So if they make jammers for the drone's, then we can also get jammed. This is a 'NO WIN SITUATION". About the only way I see we can knock these things down is shoot at then with a tennis ball, using air-pressure. Or we fly a drone and crash into them. I guess that would be a " Suicide Drone".
Old 07-24-2015, 06:17 AM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by LJE4357
The Jammer is a great idea. But there is a major problem. Most modelers thank the the 2.4G frequency band ( 2.4000 Ghz. to 2.485 Ghz. ) is jam proof. Quite the contrary. The bandwith total is only 85 Mhz.. I have used my sweep generator to sweep the frequency on 4 different radios, and ALL the receivers were jammed, to the point that no data was transferred. And that was -10 dBm output. Also the max power level that can be used on that band is 6 W. So if they make jammers for the drone's, then we can also get jammed. This is a 'NO WIN SITUATION". About the only way I see we can knock these things down is shoot at then with a tennis ball, using air-pressure. Or we fly a drone and crash into them. I guess that would be a " Suicide Drone".
Jamming will only stop some of them. For under $100 I can get a flight controller that is programmed by PC before flight to fly a pre programmed course over many waypoints. If you jam the TX signal the drone will keep flying the programmed course.

I like your idea for a surface to air anti drone drone... SAADD. It could be operated by the DEA, (Drone Enforcement Agency)

Last edited by Rob2160; 07-24-2015 at 06:24 AM.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:22 AM
HoundDog

Suicide Drones, Kamikaze Drones, Killer Drones, Quad equipped with a Glock 40 shooting wads. Laser Drones Man we could even have an old fashioned "Dog (Drone) Fight".
Better yet if they aren't in a position to interfere, leave'em alone.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:32 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

http://freebeacon.com/national-secur...litary-threat/

The end is sooner than you think.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:30 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by flycatch
All that is OLD NEWS ... Show me something NEW.
Some Radicalized Nit Wit with a couple hand guns or maybe an AK-47 is far more plausible than a "DRONE ATTACK" especially a Mass Attack. The greatest threat to our Hobby is from the Idiots that refuse to follow the FAR's & Rules. The second thing is the News Media Sensationalizing every thing connected with Drones "QUADCOPTERS". It's been said before and I'll say it again (The End Could be Near) if the R/C community doesn't get of our collective ASSES and do something about the IDIOTS out there instead of just making "DIRE PREDICTIONS" about the demise of our hobby.
Old 07-24-2015, 02:46 PM
FLAPHappy

Originally Posted by [email protected]
the same old things have been on here to long remove them and get someting new
You must sleep a lot, and never watch the newsl This subject has been in the News almost everyday. If you don't like it, then do yourself and us a favor. Don't read about it. Really simple.If you don't like what is posted in this thread, just don't read it. Get it?
Old 07-24-2015, 02:51 PM
FLAPHappy

All that is OLD NEWS ... Show me something NEW.
Some Radicalized Nit Wit with a couple hand guns or maybe an AK-47 is far more plausible than a "DRONE ATTACK" especially a Mass Attack. The greatest threat to our Hobby is from the Idiots that refuse to follow the FAR's & Rules. The second thing is the News Media Sensationalizing every thing connected with Drones "QUADCOPTERS". It's been said before and I'll say it again (The End Could be Near) if the R/C community doesn't get of our collective ASSES and do something about the IDIOTS out there instead of just making "DIRE PREDICTIONS" about the demise of our hobby.
HD: you are quite right, but the question is, " Who, and How can we address our concerns to whoever is control with this problem.
Everybody can't just starting writing letters to the FAA, although it would help if the AMA got a little concerned, don't you think? I have not heard anything from the AMA regarding this subject, if they have, I missed it, so fill me in.
Old 07-24-2015, 04:04 PM
HoundDog

[QUOTE=FLAPHappy;12074817]HD: you are quite right, but the question is, " Who, and How can we address our concerns to whoever is control with this problem.
FLAPhappy:
That is the $64,000 Question that in 1268 post not one of us has been able to solve. There have a few Crack Pot ideas like Shooting, Illegal freq generators, and the like. Come on U tell me that with all the brain power that seems to be displayed here WE can't come up with an viable answer to this problem. If nothing being to Separate us from them in the eyes of those that might stiffel our habby.
Now let's all put on our thinking caps and really try to solve this dilemma. We will never solve any problems riducaluing others and/or their Ideas.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:38 PM
FLAPHappy

[QUOTE=HoundDog;12074836]
Originally Posted by FLAPHappy
HD: you are quite right, but the question is, " Who, and How can we address our concerns to whoever is control with this problem.
FLAPhappy:
That is the $64,000 Question that in 1268 post not one of us has been able to solve. There have a few Crack Pot ideas like Shooting, Illegal freq generators, and the like. Come on U tell me that with all the brain power that seems to be displayed here WE can't come up with an viable answer to this problem. If nothing being to Separate us from them in the eyes of those that might stiffel our habby.
Now let's all put on our thinking caps and really try to solve this dilemma. We will never solve any problems riducaluing others and/or their Ideas.
HD: Agreed, now what if we got some kind of consensus or draft a letter to the AMA, And the FAA expressing our concerns regarding this subject. It is the carelessness of a few that will give this hobby a bad name, and I can foresee further restrictions imposed on us all ,unless we act with a Positive and Responsible response to both agencies to express our concerns. Any thoughts are welcomed.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:21 PM
LJE4357
Banned

About the only way I see these drone's disappear, is we do what we can do, which is basically nothing. If the crazy's start using these things for killing innocent people, there is no way to stop it. But if all the electronics that make them work get stop, in production, they go away. How that's going to happen is easy. What happens here will also happen in China, where all this stuff is made. When they get used over there, guarantee the Chinese government will stop all production of drone material. It's already happen in some respect. Do you see a lot of composite planes anymore. Only a few left and there expensive. The reason, the Chinese government started fining company's dumping the solvents to clean up with on the ground. If the drone material isn't made anymore, there basically no drone's in large numbers and inexpensive.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:29 PM
Christen Eagle 1

Did anybody see on ABC national News last night, the Quad-Copter that had a semi-automatic pistol mounted on it, and was fired several times, and was actually fairly accurate? Whats next a Hell_fire missile! The jerk was caught by police, he said it was a project he built for school. He was an Mechanical Engineering student at some school in Mass.
Actually this kid is from my home state of CT. Claimed he built this loaded quad as a school project for a CT university which the school instructor is denying and said that he did not help him but tried to talk him out of it by basically telling him it was a very bad idea. This is the same kid that made the news earlier in the year for flying a quad at a CT state beach and getting into a confrontation with a female bystander who did not like his spying on her with the quad and she promptly tried to beat the snot out of him while he video taped the whole incident on his cell phone. I kind of felt bad for him when the girl beat him up but no more because he just got arrested for assaulting 2 police officers in a traffic stop and this kid is looking more and more like a career trouble maker and not some misguided little kid with big boys toys. My question is where or how the hell did some 18 year old get a handgun when the legal age in CT to own is 21?

Jim
Old 07-25-2015, 05:50 AM
Sport_Pilot

About the only way I see these drone's disappear, is we do what we can do, which is basically nothing. If the crazy's start using these things for killing innocent people, there is no way to stop it. But if all the electronics that make them work get stop, in production, they go away. How that's going to happen is easy. What happens here will also happen in China, where all this stuff is made. When they get used over there, guarantee the Chinese government will stop all production of drone material. It's already happen in some respect. Do you see a lot of composite planes anymore. Only a few left and there expensive. The reason, the Chinese government started fining company's dumping the solvents to clean up with on the ground. If the drone material isn't made anymore, there basically no drone's in large numbers and inexpensive.
The electronics can be built at home. Autonomous drones were a hobby for about a decade or two. Some have used cell phones for navigation. Banning them will not make them go away.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:18 AM
LJE4357
Banned

I didn't say ' Band them". I agree there will always be ways to build them. Just like model planes. But the majority being bought today are not modelers. There hobbyist. Most can't build, and how about the software that has to be written. If thing like this were so easy to do, idiots would be making nuclear weapons. There not really that hard to do, if you know what your doing, and have a lot of money. Look at Iran, I don't know what you know about making electronics at home. Can you design a circuit that works, layout a circuit board and etch it, then surface mount all the components? Prove it ! You sure can't use tubes. You can't even get them. I know what I can do. I have the history to prove it. Your right people have done a lot in the past 20 years. But they all had help and information that was available. Take that away then see how many are left. I agree that they will never go away, but they will be drastically reduced in numbers. Most of the people buying these Quadcopters today, buy them because there easy to make work. In 5 minutes you can fly one. But they don't have to build one. The kid in Ct, doesn't fall in that catagory, he's an engineering student. He's learning. It's difficult to control 100,000,000 people, but a few thousand can be done. It all comes down to " Common Sense ". which everyone has, Some just forget to use it.
Old 07-25-2015, 01:18 PM
Jim Branaum

I didn't say ' Band them". I agree there will always be ways to build them. Just like model planes. But the majority being bought today are not modelers. There hobbyist. Most can't build, and how about the software that has to be written. If thing like this were so easy to do, idiots would be making nuclear weapons. There not really that hard to do, if you know what your doing, and have a lot of money. Look at Iran, I don't know what you know about making electronics at home. Can you design a circuit that works, layout a circuit board and etch it, then surface mount all the components? Prove it ! You sure can't use tubes. You can't even get them. I know what I can do. I have the history to prove it. Your right people have done a lot in the past 20 years. But they all had help and information that was available. Take that away then see how many are left. I agree that they will never go away, but they will be drastically reduced in numbers. Most of the people buying these Quadcopters today, buy them because there easy to make work. In 5 minutes you can fly one. But they don't have to build one. The kid in Ct, doesn't fall in that catagory, he's an engineering student. He's learning. It's difficult to control 100,000,000 people, but a few thousand can be done. It all comes down to " Common Sense ". which everyone has, Some just forget to use it.
Can I disagree a little bit? I don't NEED a circuit board, just buy a piece of existing electronics (cell phone) and repurpose it with software changes. It does not take a rocket scientist to make the output control the flight management stuff or the path that gets flown. We were doing that over 10 years ago.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.