Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 12:04 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Reckless Endangerment is a crime and firing a weapon in a residential area is considered reckless endangerment. The big issue here is that the shot has to come down someplace and, when it does, what if it hits someone?
Old 07-29-2015, 12:12 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Reckless Endangerment is a crime and firing a weapon in a residential area is considered reckless endangerment. The big issue here is that the shot has to come down someplace and, when it does, what if it hits someone?
Wait...you don't think the guy should get an attaboy and pat on the back for walking outside and shooting off a gun, not knowing exactly what he was shooting at, and where the ammo might land?

Yup...a crazy world we live in.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:19 PM
Sport_Pilot

It appeared to have been in an urban area. Plus it's not clear to me that it was over his house. Sounds like maybe it was over his neighbor's house.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:35 PM
porcia83
Banned

For the most part I would say does it matter? Ya I get that it might have happened out the desert or some wooded area, but still. Shooting at it is probably not a good idea. If a law is being broken, call the cops and let them deal with it. Better safe than sorry, or arrested.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:39 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pure ignorance when some of you morons think that jets should be able to withstand a collison with a drone.stupidity.the guy that flew his drone over a raging forest fire in california caused the planes in that area to temporaily stop fire fighting rather than risk a collision. incident of these sort will eventually causing a serious accident with the loss of lifes.should a collision occur and a crash happens you better beieve there will be a congressional hearing and that the FAA will forced to draw restrictive regulations on the entire rc industry as we know it.you do not have a right to endanger the lives of innocent passengers just because you feel you can fly at any height near any airspace you want.keep it up and i guarantee who will win and this time it wont be the ama.
frankly i feel drones that are intended for any kind of commerece should be registered with the FAA and local law enforcement agencies and they need a license with liability insurance in the event there is a seious accident.that will create personal accountibilty will is largely absent now,yes most of the drone pilots at least those i have known are good responsible citizens.and in the event a drone is dilberately breaking yhe law then it should be a felony or at least a misdemeaner,
drones are going to increase and i get it but flying in protected nairspace means you dont fly there period,flying in open lands such as texas or where there is a lot of wasted space .kudos enjoy .but many of us live in urban areas and continue to lose flying fields.
i know that the airline industry has technology in development that when a drone gets too close it will be able to jam the drones frequency .
Old 07-29-2015, 01:37 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Been watching his U-Tube videos for years ... U can believe what U want but he has the Video Proof ... Now of what U speak befor u ope your mouth. Do me a favor and look up a few dozen of his videos. 99% are all R/C related on things how 2.4 radios work which receivers ar better how to build FPV and quads. Many Many well done videos reviews on different RC related things.
Ok , so your a fan of his videos . Thank you for letting me know where your bias comes from ....
Old 07-29-2015, 01:40 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
The ban has nothing to do with safety...they are just trying to shut that annoying guy up...;-)
Yea, I've watched quite a few too. He is informative and I enjoy his videos...
Ok then , so I guess we put you on the list of people who "love to hate him" , he sure seems an interesting fellow , to be both annoying and informative .

Yep , crazy world , all right ...
Old 07-29-2015, 02:50 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Originally Posted by cloudancer03
pure ignorance when some of you morons think that jets should be able to withstand a collison with a drone.stupidity.the guy that flew his drone over a raging forest fire in california caused the planes in that area to temporaily stop fire fighting rather than risk a collision. incident of these sort will eventually causing a serious accident with the loss of lifes.should a collision occur and a crash happens you better beieve there will be a congressional hearing and that the FAA will forced to draw restrictive regulations on the entire rc industry as we know it.you do not have a right to endanger the lives of innocent passengers just because you feel you can fly at any height near any airspace you want.keep it up and i guarantee who will win and this time it wont be the ama.
frankly i feel drones that are intended for any kind of commerece should be registered with the FAA and local law enforcement agencies and they need a license with liability insurance in the event there is a seious accident.that will create personal accountibilty will is largely absent now,yes most of the drone pilots at least those i have known are good responsible citizens.and in the event a drone is dilberately breaking yhe law then it should be a felony or at least a misdemeaner,
drones are going to increase and i get it but flying in protected nairspace means you dont fly there period,flying in open lands such as texas or where there is a lot of wasted space .kudos enjoy .but many of us live in urban areas and continue to lose flying fields.
i know that the airline industry has technology in development that when a drone gets too close it will be able to jam the drones frequency .
Yep, you saw the light! It is happening before our very eyes, broadcasted on News Media, Yep, the clowns keep right on doing it regardless of any rules or regulations. We just get to wait until the hammer falls on R/C, it will, and then people will say" I didn't know about that?" . Sorry, story over.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:18 PM
radioman

not according to uncle joe biden gees guys it was a shotgun he shot in the air its buckshot which is small lead b-bs and it spreads out its not like a 55gr bullet
Old 07-29-2015, 05:39 PM
porcia83
Banned

Would you put your kids under it as it fell?
Old 07-29-2015, 05:41 PM
ovationdave
My Feedback: (16)

Originally Posted by radioman
not according to uncle joe biden gees guys it was a shotgun he shot in the air its buckshot which is small lead b-bs and it spreads out its not like a 55gr bullet
LOL> well, if you listening to Joe Biden, spouting off about shooting into the air (which is against the law I might add), then you need to have your head examined.......he is an idiot
Old 07-29-2015, 08:40 PM
Sport_Pilot

(which is against the law I might add)
It's not illegal to shoot a shotgun into the air. You cannot shoot birds out of the air without shooting a shotgun into the air. However, it is illegal to shoot them in most urban areas.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:57 AM
Oldginger

There should be limited flying height. It might be necessary for people to get a flying license for flying RC, just like a driver license for driving a car...
Old 07-30-2015, 03:21 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by init4fun
Ok then , so I guess we put you on the list of people who "love to hate him" , he sure seems an interesting fellow , to be both annoying and informative .

Yep , crazy world , all right ...
Yea...sort of like the "most interesting man in the world" LOL
Old 07-30-2015, 04:55 AM
franklin_m

Amazon published a proposal in the last couple days to segregate the altitude block close to the surface. Recreational drones (I presume including model aircraft) surface to 200' AGL, commercial drones in the corridor 200' AGL to 400' AGL. Non commercial would be able to fly in this block as well provided they have automatic collision avoidance devices, auto navigation devices to stay clear of hazards, and other mandatory equipment. Nothing in the block 400-500' AGL. Manned aircraft only above that. I'm paraphrasing of course. You can read for yourself.

[ATTACH]2111845[/IMG]
[ATTACH]2111846[/IMG]
Old 07-30-2015, 04:59 AM
cloudancer03

you guys are funny but right now the california firefighters have issued a 75,000 reward for the owner of the drone i referenced and apparently he may have not been the lone culprit.and since this post a man in kentucky just shot down a drone hovering over his backyard propertyhe shooter was given a citation but he wants to fight back in court which could eventually go a lot further that the local judge.he seemed tolerant and only shot when the drone stopped flying over his back deck and began hovering.as long as it was flying and moving ahead i gathered he didnt have much of an issue,so go ahead laugh and make jokes .in the end you morons will will lose and we all lose because of your total disregard for public safety and privacy.its going to heat up and i guarantee this is only the beginning.a jerk in my hometown was arrested as he flew his drone up the side of a medical building where a doctor was conducting a womans phyiscal exam.as a former administrator i would take exception to privacy iinvasion /and so did the local police as he was arrested.if you cant discern the difference between personal accountability and rights to privacy and preservation of public safety you will get regulated into oblivion and ruin a great hobby.yes i believe that drones need tighter scrunity unless you can prove your going to act like responsible people.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:46 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by cloudancer03
And just where does this "knowledge" come from? How many years experience do you have in the aviation industry?
Old 07-30-2015, 05:48 AM
rgburrill

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Amazon published a proposal in the last couple days to segregate the altitude block close to the surface. Recreational drones (I presume including model aircraft) surface to 200' AGL, commercial drones in the corridor 200' AGL to 400' AGL. Non commercial would be able to fly in this block as well provided they have automatic collision avoidance devices, auto navigation devices to stay clear of hazards, and other mandatory equipment. Nothing in the block 400-500' AGL. Manned aircraft only above that. I'm paraphrasing of course. You can read for yourself.

[ATTACH]2111845[/IMG]
[ATTACH]2111846[/IMG]

If the idiots violate the 400ft level, as well as a line-of-sight requirement now what in the world makes you think they will follw these new, more restrictitive requirements?
Old 07-30-2015, 05:59 AM
rgburrill

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
It appeared to have been in an urban area. Plus it's not clear to me that it was over his house. Sounds like maybe it was over his neighbor's house.
Urban? Rural? It seems to be more an rural-urban area like the outskirts of a city. After being blasted the drone fell into an open field. Makes it sound like the guy shot the shotgun at a high elevation angle over his property and towards this open field. Considering that shotgun pellets really don't travel very far at all they may also have fallen into the field. Was the guy wrong? Yes. Did he really endanger anyone? Maybe not. Was he stupid for telling the kids he shot the drone down? Yes - he should have been fat, dumb and happy he took out a menace and just left it at that.
What really bothers me is the cops did not even pursue the illegal operation of the drone. They should have kept it and reviewed the video stored on in it. If indeed it showed the drone flying at less than 10 feet in some neighbor's back yard peeking under a deck cover then there are peeping Tom laws broken. It also violated the FAA requirements of keeping your drone from overflying houses as well as keeping in visible contact with it at all times.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:04 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by rgburrill
If the idiots violate the 400ft level, as well as a line-of-sight requirement now what in the world makes you think they will follw these new, more restrictitive requirements?
You have a point about current requirements, and not only that but current technologies to do anything they propose in any feasible manner...but guess what??? things are evolving and its coming...your grandkid's grandkids may actually see some of what is to come in any appreciable way...Oh, it won't be Amazon or anything else that's free enterprise related that is of any real consequence...We will eventually understand the difference between what we now call the hobbyist "drones"and real drones... we will beg for the days all we had to worry about is a few toy drones flying around...
Old 07-30-2015, 06:12 AM
rgburrill

20 years ago our community started talking about FPV on RC airplanes as a way to preted to be a real pilot. Some of us were vocal opponents to it at that time saying that it would just lead to ignoring the safety rules in place to protect people and property. Since then the stability of the rotary wing aircraft has increased dramactically. Now, FPV has become a peeping Tom phenomonon. Peeking in peoples windows. Checking out the neighbor girls sunbathing by their pools. Catching close up views of forest fires. Chasing and harrasing coeds on college campuses. Why didn't the AMA listen to us 20 years ago when we said there is no good that can come from this. Enough law enforcement at that time might have put a damper on this. Now I fear it's too late. Now it seems the only realy solution is to provide low cost jammers to shut these things down which is just as illegal as what these guys are doing.
Wait, there are low cost jammers available mail order from China. GPS jammers. The expensive drones still operate on GPS. GPS jammers are still illegal in the US but hey, that never stopped any other sales from China.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:14 AM
rgburrill

You have a point about current requirements, and not only that but current technologies to do anything they propose in any feasible manner...but guess what??? things are evolving and its coming...your grandkid's grandkids may actually see some of what is to come in any appreciable way...Oh, it won't be Amazon or anything else that's free enterprise related that is of any real consequence...We will eventually understand the difference between what we now call the hobbyist "drones"and real drones... we will beg for the days all we had to worry about is a few toy drones flying around...
Point well taken.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:36 AM
Sport_Pilot

IMO it will take an act of congress to restrict recreational flight below 400 feet. I do not think the airspace congress said the FAA could protect from model airplanes should include newly enacted commercial drone airways.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:44 AM
Sport_Pilot

I agree. But for the short future I believe Amazon will abandon the drone idea. It's not like they have a warehouse in every city, and the drone transport would only be viable near the warehouses. Thieves will be hacking or even shooting these out of the sky in hopes of stealing the goods. IMO too many issues to do this for a few years to come..
Old 07-30-2015, 07:45 AM
cloudancer03

i am far from an extremeist and rather an easy going person.all your points are well taken.the police should have viewed the video to actually see what was on it.as for the shotgun i dont condone that by any means.here in florida we have had several serious injuries one including a boy just sitting on moms lap when a bullet fell from the sky hitting him in the head and fortnuately he survived.shooting aimlessly into the air in a highly populated area is just plain stupid and reckless.your right about the 400 foot height .not everyone obeys it now i have no faith regulating it more strictly would mean compliance.I worked in a field that has become more regulated than the nuclear business.most of it because of unscrupulous private owners who just didnt care about abusing the elderly.
as for my statemen about stricter regulations i am still saying people who act without any concern for the public and violate airspace for a cheap thrill will eventua;;y get politicans looking for votes to get involved and thats never good .the guy has it right saying theres a big difference between sophiscated drones meant for comerece and the guy rhat just enjoys that particular form of rc.all comerece is regulated to some degree and drones flying several thousand feet high for miles are a concern for the flying public and firefighters trying to get a forest fire supressed without bodily injury to themseives.I dont think thats extreme at all .commonsense makes our hobby safe and fun for everyone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.