Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Old 08-02-2015, 07:14 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ira d
I think the FAA needs to come out with some new rules one being no RC aircraft can operate within 10 miles of any airport at a altitude over 100 feet unless it is being operated from a designated RC flying site. Also they need to go after RC flyers that interferes
with full scale aircraft in any. The FAA need to get the word out if you are caught operating a RC craft and you are not at a RC site your RC gear could be confiscated on the spot and/or fined.
You would close down many AMA fields with that rule. Why would you prevent people who are not part of the problem from flying?

Why 100 feet when the lowest patten altitudes are about 600 feet and most are 1000 feet. Full scale would be well above the 400 foot limit now in place.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:00 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
You would close down many AMA fields with that rule. Why would you prevent people who are not part of the problem from flying?

Why 100 feet when the lowest patten altitudes are about 600 feet and most are 1000 feet. Full scale would be well above the 400 foot limit now in place.
Sport please go back and read my post, I did not say anything about closing down any RC fields.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:27 PM
Speedy-Gonzales
My Feedback: (202)

Some years ago I went to a fly-in and watched my first turbine powered model put on a demo and after the pilot landed, Dave Platt turned to me and said..."what you have just witnessed is the difference between a model airplane and a miniature aircraft". That day has burned into my brain forever......."Miniature Aircraft" !

We must bare the responsibilities of our modern high tech hobby.

"It has always amazed me that anyone can have kids but you need a license to have a dog!"

Last edited by Speedy-Gonzales; 08-02-2015 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:36 PM
Sport_Pilot

You cannot fly RC except small electrics and 1/2 A below 100 feet. So that would close RC fields.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:38 PM
Sport_Pilot

You need to move to a place that doesn't license dogs!
Old 08-02-2015, 04:46 PM
Speedy-Gonzales
My Feedback: (202)

I am planning on that..........I think some dogs are smarter than their human owners!

I edited my previous post.....I sounded like a long winded preacher.

Last edited by Speedy-Gonzales; 08-02-2015 at 04:48 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:15 PM
ira d

You cannot fly RC except small electrics and 1/2 A below 100 feet. So that would close RC fields.
I can see you did not re read my post so I will repeat some of what I said That being to not allow RC flying within 10 miles of an airport over 100 feet unless it is being operated from a designated RC site. I would assume that a designated RC site
would include all RC fields AMA or not.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:14 AM
franklin_m

Fox news morning report today has two new drone / aircraft near misses reported. Piper PA28 had to take evasive action in New Jersey and a commuter airliner reported seeing one on approach to another airport (missed hearing where).

I maintain it's not "if" but rather "when".
Old 08-03-2015, 05:31 AM
Sport_Pilot

I can see you did not re read my post so I will repeat some of what I said That being to not allow RC flying within 10 miles of an airport over 100 feet unless it is being operated from a designated RC site. I would assume that a designated RC site
would include all RC fields AMA or not.
But the FAA has no designated RC sites. The AMA fields are not FAA approved.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:33 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Fox news morning report today has two new drone / aircraft near misses reported. Piper PA28 had to take evasive action in New Jersey and a commuter airliner reported seeing one on approach to another airport (missed hearing where).

I maintain it's not "if" but rather "when".
So where are the near miss reports? I don not trust the media because they get their information from the FAA. I suspect some of these reports are bogus.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:00 AM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So where are the near miss reports? I don not trust the media because they get their information from the FAA. I suspect some of these reports are bogus.
I doubt the reports about near misses are "Bogus" because they come from most every major New Media company. Thats not to say all the news we get is the truth, especially politics, but near misses, are real. Why would different Pilots of different airlines report these at different times and dates? Do you think everything the FAA reports is Bogus?
Old 08-03-2015, 07:15 AM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Originally Posted by ira d I think the FAA needs to come out with some new rules one being no RC aircraft can operate within 10 miles of any airport at a altitude over 100 feet unless it is being operated from a designated RC flying site. Also they need to go after RC flyers that interferes
with full scale aircraft in any. The FAA need to get the word out if you are caught operating a RC craft and you are not at a RC site your RC gear could be confiscated on the spot and/or fined.

You missed the UNLESS clause doode
Old 08-03-2015, 07:27 AM
DMichael
My Feedback: (5)

CNN Headline yesterday at 10:21am: "2 airliners fly within 100 feet of drone above New York": http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/01/us/dro...jfk/index.html

CNN Headline today at 10:47am: "Another drone spotted near airliner in New York": http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/03/us/dro...jfk/index.html

Used responsibly these devices are wonderful technology and there are untold potential positive ways to use them. Having said that, I was in Brookstone the other day and there is a whole section of quads for sale... you see them in many mainstream stores now and the local hobby shops have them prominently featured all over their windows and shelves.

Now that these quadcopter type devices are available to the masses I don't know how you can control it any more than you can control, say, people who text while driving. You can put laws in place and fines and the consequence of jail time but there are always many who will continue to violate the rules. There are just too many people with these things- not "modelers" like us- folks with little or no RC background or guidance of which too many don't think about or have any interest in using them responsibly.

Last edited by DMichael; 08-03-2015 at 07:38 AM.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:19 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

so todays news is about a third incident at lauguardia where a drone nearly hit a jetblue plane .less than 100 feet.the guy that posted these planes should withstand hits is a misinformed drone pureist.and by the way the incidents are mounting and yesterday one of the best revered pilots sully was interviewed on face the nation and calls the incidents by these rogues stupid and dangerous.at the vey least flying any drone should be banned within 10 miles of airports.period.and the penalties need to be seriously updated with imprisonment .if your flying in a controlled airspace its illegal and you are are endangering everyone who flies in it.stop.i also think that commerical drones while having good potential need to be regulated .maybe have a signal indicator so that full scale planes can at least be warned.what ever the cure these continued reports will eventually cause the congress to tighten regulations.obviously self enforcement does not work and with no responsible accountabilty eventually people will be killed and flying remote vehicles will be seriously curtailed.and if pilots are not going to act responsibly then go after the manufacturer and force them to register a drone before selling.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:01 AM
ira d

But the FAA has no designated RC sites. The AMA fields are not FAA approved.
I am not sure what the AMA/FAA relationship is right now but that is not the point. A designated RC site would be one that is recognized as a place to fly RC, Any AMA club would/ should meet that description along with any place where there is
organized club that has a legal right to operate at that place. In other words I belong to a club that is about 3 miles from a airport but the club has a lease with the city and is chartered by the AMA, That site would be ok for all types of RC flying
but if a guy went down the road a mile and lunched a model he would subject to invastagation if he went over 100 feet.

Last edited by ira d; 08-03-2015 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:17 AM
ira d

Originally Posted by cloudancer03
so todays news is about a third incident at lauguardia where a drone nearly hit a jetblue plane .less than 100 feet.the guy that posted these planes should withstand hits is a misinformed drone pureist.and by the way the incidents are mounting and yesterday one of the best revered pilots sully was interviewed on face the nation and calls the incidents by these rogues stupid and dangerous.at the vey least flying any drone should be banned within 10 miles of airports.period.and the penalties need to be seriously updated with imprisonment .if your flying in a controlled airspace its illegal and you are are endangering everyone who flies in it.stop.i also think that commerical drones while having good potential need to be regulated .maybe have a signal indicator so that full scale planes can at least be warned.what ever the cure these continued reports will eventually cause the congress to tighten regulations.obviously self enforcement does not work and with no responsible accountabilty eventually people will be killed and flying remote vehicles will be seriously curtailed.and if pilots are not going to act responsibly then go after the manufacturer and force them to register a drone before selling.
I don't think you could single out quad copters That I assume you are referring to when you say drone, That being said I think the FAA could ban all RC flying unless you have a license that you would have to attend a safety class to get. The class would also
point out the restrictions and penalties associated with RC flying. I am not suggesting that the ban start tomorrow but at some future date that would be announced in advance so all RC flyers would have time to comply.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:55 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Come on here guys ... first it's not AMA members (I Hope) and it not regular R/C fixed wing nor choppers causing the problem. It's Quads flown by people that have little knowledge of the Rules and FAR's and they are not flying anything but QUADS. Let's stop about new rules and regs, curtailing any R/C and concentrate our efforts on a way to curtail the people causing all the problems with Full Scale airplanes. Interfering with Full Scale planes is 99% of our problem. So Let's all try concentrate on the real problem, and stop the in fighting. This in fighting can only be detrimental to our Hobby..
Old 08-03-2015, 11:15 AM
ira d

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Come on here guys ... first it's not AMA members (I Hope) and it not regular R/C fixed wing nor choppers causing the problem. It's Quads flown by people that have little knowledge of the Rules and FAR's and they are not flying anything but QUADS. Let's stop about new rules and regs, curtailing any R/C and concentrate our efforts on a way to curtail the people causing all the problems with Full Scale airplanes. Interfering with Full Scale planes is 99% of our problem. So Let's all try concentrate on the real problem, and stop the in fighting. This in fighting can only be detrimental to our Hobby..

I agree with you to a point, But I think to try to single out quad copters will likely be asking for a problem and I think any new rules should likely cover all RC craft as well since any craft can interfere with full scale.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:17 AM
Sport_Pilot

I am not sure what the AMA/FAA relationship is right now but that is not the point. A designated RC site would be one that is recognized as a place to fly RC, Any AMA club would/ should meet that description along with any place where there is
organized club that has a legal right to operate at that place. In other words I belong to a club that is about 3 miles from a airport but the club has a lease with the city and is chartered by the AMA, That site would be ok for all types of RC flying
but if a guy went down the road a mile and lunched a model he would subject to invastagation if he went over 100 feet.
I suggested a long time ago that R/C and free flight fields should be shown on sectionals, but apparently that did not sound like a good idea to the AMA and many modelers. I don't think the FAA would put it on the map even if the club asked them to, but not sure about that. However I do believe 100 feet is too restrictive even for the cheap R/C quads and electric planes, maybe 200 feet. Some clubs are actually located on an airport, but obviously not an international airline hub.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:46 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by franklin_m
"..

I maintain it's not "if" but rather "when"...
Yes, repeatedly. Not sure what the purpose of that is either. Is it precautionary...does it stop someone from flying a quad near a plane, or is it just to set up the commentary that will come after the fact, ie: I told you so! After a while it has a "the sky is falling" feel to it.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:52 PM
porcia83
Banned

I don't think you could single out quad copters That I assume you are referring to when you say drone, That being said I think the FAA could ban all RC flying unless you have a license that you would have to attend a safety class to get. The class would also
point out the restrictions and penalties associated with RC flying. I am not suggesting that the ban start tomorrow but at some future date that would be announced in advance so all RC flyers would have time to comply.
Bans solve nothing. Setting up yet another layer of bureaucracy will not solve this problem. People with gun licenses still break the law, people with drivers licenses still have accidents, etc etc. Enforce the laws we have, punish those that break them.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:46 PM
ira d

Originally Posted by porcia83
Bans solve nothing. Setting up yet another layer of bureaucracy will not solve this problem. People with gun licenses still break the law, people with drivers licenses still have accidents, etc etc. Enforce the laws we have, punish those that break them.
You have a point, but I think having a license will help to bring some of the flyers into accountability and make it easier for law enforcement to find some of these people and to educate them. I know there is no perfect solution that will fix everything but I think
the FAA needs to start somewhere.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:03 PM
porcia83
Banned

The FAA already has done something, and will continue to deal with the issues as they evolve, much like the technology.

A license does not bring a flyer into accountability. That process creates another layer of bureaucracy, and probably a fee as well (read TAX). Nor does the license make it easier for LE to "find" anyone. If they are caught, it's not going to be because of a piece of paper. Accountability is achieved in part by laws that are already on the books. If caught, arrest, fine, then prosecute depending on the level of recklessness exhibited.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:09 PM
ira d

Originally Posted by porcia83
The FAA already has done something, and will continue to deal with the issues as they evolve, much like the technology.

A license does not bring a flyer into accountability. That process creates another layer of bureaucracy, and probably a fee as well (read TAX). Nor does the license make it easier for LE to "find" anyone. If they are caught, it's not going to be because of a piece of paper. Accountability is achieved in part by laws that are already on the books. If caught, arrest, fine, then prosecute depending on the level of recklessness exhibited.

It seem as the FAA has it all under control then I guess all the concerns that other posters have about RC and full scale conflicts are unfounded.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:20 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

There have been several incidents recently in the JFK/LGA'EWR area that either the prot authority or the NYPD needs to get a helicopter up there ready to chase that turd down. Follow the Quad to it's owner and have ground units tracking the helicopter. Then throw the book at him. He is at very high altitude and playing with lives of everyday people just trying to get somewhere.
Don't think it can be done? Ask some ex-owners of GPS jammers in the Newark area who were trying to keep their bosses from finding our where they were as they were driving by EWR regularly. The port authority, with a lot of help fromt he FAA found them and not only shut them down but fined them big time. People playing aournd like this get overconfident and make mistakes. You start screwing around with lives and the FAA takes notice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.