Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Old 08-04-2015, 01:30 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
They most certainly do have a clear zone just under 5000' on both ends of runway 14/32.
Yeah, but altitude for R/C?
Old 08-04-2015, 02:27 PM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Besides all aircraft with an electrical system (Lights ect.) from the factory will need added equipment called
ADS-B (Automatic Dependent Surveillance - Broadcast) + a special Transponder. It certainly would fix the problem. They would be unable to get off the ground because of the added weight.
Nice! Adding a brick of lead would have the same effect at a lower price:-)

Gerry
Old 08-04-2015, 03:38 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Besides all aircraft with an electrical system (Lights ect.) from the factory will need added equipment called
ADS-B (Automatic Dependent Surveillance - Broadcast) + a special Transponder. It certainly would fix the problem. They would be unable to get off the ground because of the added weight.
They can make a cell phone the size of a wrist watch I'm sure building a small transponder that would fit in most RC craft will not be a problem but at what cost I don't know.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:55 PM
ira d

Originally Posted by porcia83
Actually you did, but in a roundabout way. If read quickly, or taken out of context (as can happen here ) I could see where what you said would mean closing an RC flying site.

"..I think the FAA needs to come out with some new rules one being no RC aircraft can operate within 10 miles of any airport at a altitude over 100 feet unless it is being operated from a designated RC flying site.."

First what is designated? You might mean AMA chartered field, or a "club" in the truest sense of the word. But, keep in mind there are private clubs not AMA affiliated, and some that might not even be "clubs", just a group of people who get together and fly responsibly. I can actually think of one a few towns over from me that is just a group of guys who fly in a field on a regular basis who are not a "club", and they would be shut down given this suggestion. The 100 foot cap seems harsh though.

So it's not what you said, but the effect of what you said may cause some "clubs" to end. Meanwhile, there are some clubs that are actually at airports that would continue to operate as they are "designated" clubs per your suggestion. I visited one such club last year in NH, was amazed at how well they get along with the airport and work together to promote aviation.
From webster's Dictionary the word designate means to select or appoint for a specific purpose, duty, office ,etc. In simple terms if you operate a RC craft from a site that is selected for that purpose you would not be restricted under my proposal. If the FAA should
find that a particular RC site is unsuitable for some reason and close it that is something totally different than what I'm talking about.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:46 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Right...but based on your latest statement you do account for the possibility of the FAA shutting down a site that they deem "unsuitable". Regardless, I don't think any will be shut down, but who knows.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:49 PM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

If anyone thinks they are a drone pilot because they own a toy with a camera on it is a idiot. Or plays with anything remotely controlled. End of thread.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:11 AM
porcia83
Banned

Alrighty then!
Old 08-05-2015, 07:33 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

http://lasvegassun.com/news/2015/aug...e-for-upcomin/
Old 08-05-2015, 07:41 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by SigMan
If anyone thinks they are a drone pilot because they own a toy with a camera on it is a idiot. Or plays with anything remotely controlled. End of thread.
SigMan;
It's not if anyone thinks they are a dron pilot or not ... It is most definitely What the authorities say to what or who are DRONE Pilots. Also what they decide to do to all of us because of a few people that either don't know the rules or just don't care. We are all trying to figure a way to separate the chaff from the wheat her . I.e. The good sensible R/C flyer from the others mentioned above. No one here considers them selves as Drone Pilots, I would hope.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:32 AM
ncsky

I think some of this has been touched on before but if not here is one possible idea. Since the problem seems to be people buying UAS easily online, local shop etc... and then not receiving any "instruction" in safe operations due to ease of just flying anywhere (don't need help from others to learn to fly it), what about some type of required education training before purchase?

For example, if you want to buy a UAS that is over say 1/2 pound or so (since these problem fliers are using UAS heavier than that), you have to watch (could be online which is available 24/7 via internet) a required course on safe operation. Then when completed you get a certificate which you could show to local shop or list cert number online at store that would allow you to buy a UAS over 1/2 pound. These certs could then be sent to FAA UAS office for tracking (since they already have this department). Could even list serial number of UAS etc...
I think the "know before you fly" is a good idea, but people don't have to look at it, or they may just throw away the paper they are given.
Now would this stop the problem completely, no, but if someone had to complete a small educational requirement (free online), and knew their purchase was going to be "registered" maybe they would take a "pause" before flying irresponsibly. At least it could give them information about flying near airports, interfering with emergency operations etc... and reiterate that there are laws on the books about that now, and if laws are broken, prosecution will happen.
Kids and others could still easily buy the very small UAS without having to go thru this educational step since those smaller UAS don't seem to be involved in these types of unsafe incidents.
Do I like more restrictions etc... "no", but just proposing another way to help protect all of model aviation moving forward, so just an idea.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:13 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by ncsky
I think some of this has been touched on before but if not here is one possible idea. Since the problem seems to be people buying UAS easily online, local shop etc... and then not receiving any "instruction" in safe operations due to ease of just flying anywhere (don't need help from others to learn to fly it), what about some type of required education training before purchase?

For example, if you want to buy a UAS that is over say 1/2 pound or so (since these problem fliers are using UAS heavier than that), you have to watch (could be online which is available 24/7 via internet) a required course on safe operation. Then when completed you get a certificate which you could show to local shop or list cert number online at store that would allow you to buy a UAS over 1/2 pound. These certs could then be sent to FAA UAS office for tracking (since they already have this department). Could even list serial number of UAS etc...
I think the "know before you fly" is a good idea, but people don't have to look at it, or they may just throw away the paper they are given.
Now would this stop the problem completely, no, but if someone had to complete a small educational requirement (free online), and knew their purchase was going to be "registered" maybe they would take a "pause" before flying irresponsibly. At least it could give them information about flying near airports, interfering with emergency operations etc... and reiterate that there are laws on the books about that now, and if laws are broken, prosecution will happen.
Kids and others could still easily buy the very small UAS without having to go thru this educational step since those smaller UAS don't seem to be involved in these types of unsafe incidents.
Do I like more restrictions etc... "no", but just proposing another way to help protect all of model aviation moving forward, so just an idea.
In Connecticut you are requied to take a full day coarse and get approved byt the police department in your city to be able to purchase a handgun. Yet people go around shooting people there every week. Stopping idiots is not going to happen unless those idiots receive a lot of pain, financial or whatever, from their own actions.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:19 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

BTW, I read today that the FAA has now granted over 1000 exemptions for commerical use of UAVs. So there are at least 1000 trained pilots using UAVs safely and legally. Videographers, film producers, famers, and so many more who worked to get that exemption. One would think they would be very antagonistic twoards those who flaunt the regulations. Perhaps the FAA should allow a special use exemption for vigilantees? Drone cops. It takes a drone to catch a donre.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:28 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rgburrill
BTW, I read today that the FAA has now granted over 1000 exemptions for commerical use of UAVs. So there are at least 1000 trained pilots using UAVs safely and legally. Videographers, film producers, famers, and so many more who worked to get that exemption. One would think they would be very antagonistic twoards those who flaunt the regulations. Perhaps the FAA should allow a special use exemption for vigilantees? Drone cops. It takes a drone to catch a donre.
Might be in production at this time.....

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	drone.gif
Views:	62
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	2112967  
Old 08-05-2015, 12:34 PM
FLAPHappy

Might be in production at this time.....

Porcia: That cracked me Uppppp!!!!!!!!!!!! More serious, it may be true?????????????
Old 08-05-2015, 12:46 PM
porcia83
Banned

nah...to many bad reality shows to produce...drone stuff is not salacious enough.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:23 PM
FLAPHappy

nah...to many bad reality shows to produce...drone stuff is not salacious enough.
Geeze man! what do ya want? Oh, I know, you want it to be posted in Playboy????? Fox News, doesn't care for that for some unknown reason???????
Old 08-05-2015, 01:58 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/04/us/pri...ne-drugs-ohio/

Just a matter of time people.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:10 PM
FLAPHappy

Originally Posted by flycatch
Already posted.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:31 PM
porcia83
Banned

And...already done over a year ago. Not the first, won't be the last.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:36 PM
N410DC

Originally Posted by ncsky

This will not prevent people from ordering drones from oversees (e.g. China) and doing whatever they want once the quad arrives on their doorstep.

The import of Cuban merchandise has been illegal for well over 50 years, but Americans somehow mange to smoke Cuban cigars on US soil every day. How is this possible? Refer to the previous sentence.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:12 AM
porcia83
Banned

Smoke 'em if you got 'em!
Old 08-06-2015, 07:05 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by N410DC
This will not prevent people from ordering drones from oversees (e.g. China) and doing whatever they want once the quad arrives on their doorstep.

The import of Cuban merchandise has been illegal for well over 50 years, but Americans somehow mange to smoke Cuban cigars on US soil every day. How is this possible? Refer to the previous sentence.
If a person has no regard for any Rules Regs or LAWS. If a person is going to disregard traffic rules and speed, roling stops, running red lights. Nothing will stop them. Not even suspending or revocation of their drivers license.
So why would anything stop some one from flying a Quad anyplace the felt like, even if they new they are subject to confiscation,fines and possible prison. Just ain't possible to stop these people. It's a lost cause.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:47 AM
porcia83
Banned

Default Just say no to drones.....

and forest fires!

Along the lines of the AMA continuing to "do nothing" and "not take a position"......;

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/med...ones-dont-mix/

(let the criticism begin.... )
Old 08-06-2015, 08:44 AM
ira d

If a person has no regard for any Rules Regs or LAWS. If a person is going to disregard traffic rules and speed, roling stops, running red lights. Nothing will stop them. Not even suspending or revocation of their drivers license.
So why would anything stop some one from flying a Quad anyplace the felt like, even if they new they are subject to confiscation,fines and possible prison. Just ain't possible to stop these people. It's a lost cause.
I bet if they are in prison they won't be flying any RC. As for drunk drivers the system does not seem to want to deal with them properly for example many of the drunk drivers have been caught many times before they actually killed anyone but kept being
released with little or no time. The system says the jails and prisons are too full yet they will put someone in jail because they did not lock up their gun in their own home.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:04 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by ira d
I bet if they are in prison they won't be flying any RC. As for drunk drivers the system does not seem to want to deal with them properly for example many of the drunk drivers have been caught many times before they actually killed anyone but kept being
released with little or no time. The system says the jails and prisons are too full yet they will put someone in jail because they did not lock up their gun in their own home.
I bet if they are in prison, they won't have access to drugs, or weapons, or even cell phones.

Oh wait..those are all available, even things like power tools to help prisoners cut through pipes and escape. Being in prison won't exclude stuff like that from happening, just makes it harder. I am waiting for the day though where a prisoner gets his hands on a drone and flies it out of the prison for some reason. "it's just a matter of time"

As for drunk driving, I'm sure there are some who have escaped prison sentences after one or more arrests, each case should be looked at on it's own merits. Mandatory sentences don't always work out well. CT is pretty tough on drunk driving....constant checkpoint stops in this state. Not sure who got locked up for having a unlocked gun in their home...obviously something more to that story than we know.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.