Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 01:30 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
I bet if they are in prison, they won't have access to drugs, or weapons, or even cell phones.

Oh wait..those are all available, even things like power tools to help prisoners cut through pipes and escape. Being in prison won't exclude stuff like that from happening, just makes it harder. I am waiting for the day though where a prisoner gets his hands on a drone and flies it out of the prison for some reason. "it's just a matter of time"

As for drunk driving, I'm sure there are some who have escaped prison sentences after one or more arrests, each case should be looked at on it's own merits. Mandatory sentences don't always work out well. CT is pretty tough on drunk driving....constant checkpoint stops in this state. Not sure who got locked up for having a unlocked gun in their home...obviously something more to that story than we know.
Well when you find out that prisoners are flying RC craft out of prisons and interfering with full scale aviation be sure and let us know. I think we all know there can be the occasional exception to everything but I don't think we will ever see inmates flying RC out side of prison at will
and getting away with it. By the way If your state is tough on drunk driving good for you but not all states are. As for guns some locations have laws that require you to keep your gun locked up I believe San francisco is one and Los angles just passed the same law look it
up for yourself.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:32 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ira d
Well when you find out that prisoners are flying RC craft out of prisons and interfering with full scale aviation be sure and let us know. I think we all know there can be the occasional exception to everything but I don't think we will ever see inmates flying RC out side of prison at will
and getting away with it. By the way If your state is tough on drunk driving good for you but not all states are. As for guns some locations have laws that require you to keep your gun locked up I believe San francisco is one and Los angles just passed the same law look it
up for yourself.
Well your earlier example didn't say anything about the prisoners flying these and interfering with full scale aviation, just about them flying them. If it happens though, I'll shoot you a PM. Given what get into prisons today, and the recent Shawshank Redemtion style breakout...nothing would shock me!
Old 08-07-2015, 04:26 PM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

idiots
Old 08-09-2015, 02:21 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Originally Posted by SigMan
idiots
OK I give up. What do you mean and how do you classify what you are talking about? Are you talking about the Idiot Drone Flyer's that has repeatedly caused problems with the FAA, or are you talking about something else? Man up and tell us what you mean.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:46 PM
TheEdge
Banned
My Feedback: (788)

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Drone pilot gets hooked by a fisherman off the pier in Pacific Beach San Diego.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8IP5HJFwLQ
Old 08-09-2015, 06:22 PM
N410DC

Originally Posted by TheEdge
Drone pilot gets hooked by a fisherman off the pier in Pacific Beach San Diego.
Tomorrow's news: The FAA proposes that fishing rods be banned within 5 miles of any airport, seaport, or heliport.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:47 PM
FLAPHappy

Originally Posted by N410DC
Tomorrow's news: The FAA proposes that fishing rods be banned within 5 miles of any airport, seaport, or heliport.
Joke all you want, but here is proof this is a problem. Do you realize the potential effects this will have on our hobby if it continues.?

http://video.foxnews.com/v/441128330...#sp=show-clips

Last edited by FLAPHappy; 08-10-2015 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:02 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by FLAPHappy
Joke all you want, but here is proof this is a problem. Do you realize the potential effects this will have on our hobby if it continues.?

A funny video, wish it would have shown what the end result it. Again a situation where both people should have used a little more common sense, but didn't.

Flap there are weekly reports of "sightings"....after a year you would have thought they would have caught someone. These will continue, without a significantly adverse affect on the hobby I might add. After how many years now what has the FAA done that has really affected the hobby? Did you see the latest advisory from them?
Old 08-11-2015, 02:57 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

For sure these drones are a big problem for all of us in this hobby, when I buy a plane, I wonder if I will even get to fly it for long, I think this problem we are having with the drone will cost us all dearly with the loss of this hobby, sure wish the AMA had not endorsed the drones, its already costing us more money with the AMA raising its price to fight the problems these dang things have caused!
Old 08-11-2015, 02:58 PM
ovationdave
My Feedback: (16)

"A Funny Video"???..........I guess I have a different sense of humor.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:40 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by ovationdave
Ya, imagine that...people having different opinions on the same video, who'd a thunk it. Didn't feel the comment on a lack of common sense was worth noting?

Should I call it sad, cute, terrifying, perhaps ironic....or say that it's going to bring an end to the hobby as we know it?
Old 08-11-2015, 04:23 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

The video makes no sense or the report has it all wrong. Note the red circle between Newark and JFK. If this is the area of sightings it's all screwed up because if the 4 flights were 8 to 13 miles off 4R a newark they would have been South West of Newark not in the red circle. besides it's legal to fly where they were reported just not that high.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:34 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by ovationdave
Just to clarify...this was the video I referenced as "funny".....

Old 08-12-2015, 04:29 AM
TheEdge
Banned
My Feedback: (788)

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

A brief summary

http://www.cbsnews.com/drones/

and a not so brief 60 minutes.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/drones-over-america-2/

Last edited by TheEdge; 08-12-2015 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:28 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
The video makes no sense or the report has it all wrong. Note the red circle between Newark and JFK. If this is the area of sightings it's all screwed up because if the 4 flights were 8 to 13 miles off 4R a newark they would have been South West of Newark not in the red circle. besides it's legal to fly where they were reported just not that high.
Flying that high WAS the problem. But you are correct, LSM has no idea where that red circle should have been. They wanted to make sure someone could trash the report because it had an error in it that doesn't even releate to the issue. Looks like they found at least one person.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:51 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

[TABLE="width: 468"]
[TR]
[TD][TABLE="width: 479"]
[TR]
[TD="width: 2, bgcolor: #006699"][/TD]
[TD="width: 479"][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 486, bgcolor: #006699, colspan: 3"][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Students Invent Anti-Drone System
By Mary Grady
[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD]With the FAA and the aviation community facing increasing pressure to find a way to keep UAS and airplanes separate, a group of four engineering students from the University of Rhode Island have proposed a solution. Their project, which took first place in an FAA design competition, proposes installing a solar-powered drone detection and tracking system at airports, and affixing radio-frequency detection tags to drones. Read More
[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[TABLE="width: 479"]
[TR]
[TD="width: 479, colspan: 3"][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 08-12-2015, 11:14 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by HoundDog
[TABLE="width: 468"]
[TR]
[TD]
[TR]
[TD="width: 2, bgcolor: #006699"][/TD]
[TD="width: 479"][/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 486, bgcolor: #006699, colspan: 3"]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Students Invent Anti-Drone System
By Mary Grady
[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD]With the FAA and the aviation community facing increasing pressure to find a way to keep UAS and airplanes separate, a group of four engineering students from the University of Rhode Island have proposed a solution. Their project, which took first place in an FAA design competition, proposes installing a solar-powered drone detection and tracking system at airports, and affixing radio-frequency detection tags to drones. Read More
[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="width: 479, colspan: 3"]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Amazing what some folks can cook up. And you know if some college kids and do that some company out there must be able to come up with something better, and cheaper to use.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:16 PM
porcia83
Banned

http://youtu.be/Hr-xBtVU4lg Mother nature's solution. Quick and definitive!

Last edited by porcia83; 08-12-2015 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:57 PM
Live Wire

Try brushing your teeth with a wire brush I see I am not any better at this than I was Years ago.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:20 PM
FLAPHappy

Originally Posted by porcia83
http://youtu.be/Hr-xBtVU4lg Mother nature's solution. Quick and definitive!
Porcia: I regret telling you that video is photoshopped to death, and not the least bit funny, and that kind of stuff, is not helping this situation we face. Some people say, OH, the Sky is Falling!! Others say, Awe, no big deal, others say well, it may contribute to full scale aircraft safety, which it has shown repeatedly on the news, so this is not a joking matter at all. This hobby, is in dire danger, why? because of idiots repeatedly violating FAA Rules. The FAA , your right, has not made any MAJOR decisions on this, but they will one day. Just wait until an airliner or any full scale manned aircraft goes down because if this. Then you may see the Light!
Old 08-12-2015, 05:53 PM
porcia83
Banned

Porcia: I regret telling you that video is photoshopped to death, and not the least bit funny, and that kind of stuff, is not helping this situation we face. Some people say, OH, the Sky is Falling!! Others say, Awe, no big deal, others say well, it may contribute to full scale aircraft safety, which it has shown repeatedly on the news, so this is not a joking matter at all. This hobby, is in dire danger, why? because of idiots repeatedly violating FAA Rules. The FAA , your right, has not made any MAJOR decisions on this, but they will one day. Just wait until an airliner or any full scale manned aircraft goes down because if this. Then you may see the Light!
Sorry my friend, I see nothing in that video to indicate it's photoshopped "to death". The video of the drone hitting the Southwest winglet...sure, this one, not so much. There are dozens of these online, I can't say everyone is real or not, but the majority of them sure look it. Regardless, who said anything about that one being funny?

I'll disagree on the "hobby is in dire danger" comment as well. Honestly I think that sentiment is alarmist and does nothing for the hobby, just fodder for threads. As does "wait til a drone brings down a plane". Of course it might happen, just as it might have happened years ago when planes were flying at 10,000 feet with FPV gear. Was the hobby in dire danger then too? For the idiots who broke the rules then, and might do so in the future and are caught, they should be punished accordingly. A few tough luck cases, 10's of thousands in fines, and perhaps some time in the pokey will hopefully dissuade others from doing the same thing.

I'm glad the FAA hasn't made a major decision yet....major decisions are sometimes made hastily and have some pretty negative consequences not originally thought of. At least we're seeing a tiered approach to this issue, and so far nothing horrible for the hobby (or at least a big part of it).
Old 08-12-2015, 06:34 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The FAA said today on CBS news they are going to go after drones that interfere with full scale operations and they plan to rely on local LE to help.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:13 PM
Duncman

In the latest issue of Flying Magazine journalist Peter Garrison, has an excellent article on drones and touches briefly on the impact on us. Bears a read.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:47 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by ira d
The FAA said today on CBS news they are going to go after drones that interfere with full scale operations and they plan to rely on local LE to help.
That's excellent news, coming off the heals of their latest announcements. Local LE is the best place to start with enforcement.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:48 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Duncman
In the latest issue of Flying Magazine journalist Peter Garrison, has an excellent article on drones and touches briefly on the impact on us. Bears a read.
Any link to it by chance, I couldn't find it. What was the thrust of the piece, I might take a stab at the position of the author. Might have to go to Barnes and Noble and stand there and read it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.