Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Old 08-13-2015, 04:18 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FAA news from yesterday: https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=83445
Old 08-13-2015, 06:31 AM
Duncman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
Any link to it by chance, I couldn't find it. What was the thrust of the piece, I might take a stab at the position of the author. Might have to go to Barnes and Noble and stand there and read it.
August 2015 issue, page 78, Title: Technicalities, Author: Peter Garrison. Still on the stands so unless you subscribe it is not available online, B&N is your best bet. Gives a perspective from the full scale point of view. Enjoy.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:21 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=porcia83;

Mother nature's solution. Quick and definitive![/QUOTE]

Hey! I think the guy at the 1:02 second mark is my first cousin!
Old 08-13-2015, 09:42 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by franklin_m
".....The FAA will continue to work closely with industry partners through the “Know Before You Fly” campaign to educate unmanned aircraft users about where they can operate within the rules....."

Gee...wonder who that industry partner is......
Old 08-13-2015, 09:43 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by MajorTomski
Hey! I think the guy at the 1:02 second mark is my first cousin!
WRONG...that was photoshopped!
Old 08-13-2015, 10:13 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

".....The FAA will continue to work closely with industry partners through the “Know Before You Fly” campaign to educate unmanned aircraft users about where they can operate within the rules....."

Gee...wonder who that industry partner is......
And of course you have no concept of what "industry" partners means, do you?
Old 08-13-2015, 10:21 AM
rgburrill

Originally Posted by franklin_m

Thank you. Nice to know someone else is looking at these. Over 650 sightings so far this year is not a small problem. Yet all porcia wants to do is question who are the FAAs "industry partners". You have to wonder if he has ever even been to the "Know before you fly" website.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:30 AM
rgburrill

I know some will say I am paranoid but I was reading today about ADS-B and recalled that it had been brought up here before. I also recall seeing an article about someone developing a similar concept in a much smaller package that would be suitable for RC use. Based on other FAA documents I would not be surprised to see some regulations along these lines come out in the not-so-distant future. It's somewhat inevitable as long as there are those who insist on violating Class B, C and D airspacees and the Class E airspaces referenced by the ADS-B requirement.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:33 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rgburrill
And of course you have no concept of what "industry" partners means, do you?
Thank you. Nice to know someone else is looking at these. Over 650 sightings so far this year is not a small problem. Yet all porcia wants to do is question who are the FAAs "industry partners". You have to wonder if he has ever even been to the "Know before you fly" website.
Jeez.....not sure if you're joking or just in a bad mood...wow. Do you really not know who the industry partner is that worked with the FAA on the Know before you Fly " campaign? I think I've posted that link, and graphic, at least 20 times since it came out.

Was anything the FAA released really news, was it really shocking or unexpected? Did we not think with the explosion of these multi rotors that sightings wouldn't go up? Guess what, they probably will continue to the more hype and focus on the issue continues to remain. Hopefully in the near future, they will drop...based on the AMA and FAA's education, as well as members like us helping those getting into the hobby. I'm guessing that with continued emphasis on safe flying...AND the media moving on to the newest and bestests ratings grabbing headlines, "sightings" will drop.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:19 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

6 months ago I had dire reservations about our hobby's future or lack there of. Today not so much, the news media has come around. When an incident of Drone vs Airliner is reported on the evening News the anchor or reporter has finally made note that Drones (Quads) are not to be flown with in 5 miles of a major airport or above 400'. Also comments that there are large fines and possible jail time for offenders, if Caught and convicted. All the better for the Hobby I'd say.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:00 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Why is it that I'm seeing things that only "Tin Foil Hats" were predicting several years ago, coming true today...?
Old 08-13-2015, 12:56 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Originally Posted by combatpigg
Why is it that I'm seeing things that only "Tin Foil Hats" were predicting several years ago, coming true today...?
Tin Foil Hats prediction is accurate as seen as evidence in today news media. Yes, it's coming True. Some people think this will pass without any intervention of the FAA, and sad but true, they have not done anything yet.
That does not mean they will not do anything, because they will, as the violations continue to esculate in numbers around the World.
We can not control this behaviour of idiots flying anywhere near an airport or full scale aircraft. The FAA can.
Believe it, will see future restrictions in this hobby as it continues.

Last edited by FLAPHappy; 08-13-2015 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:25 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by combatpigg
Like what specifically?
Old 08-13-2015, 03:37 PM
rgburrill

Jeez.....not sure if you're joking or just in a bad mood...wow. Do you really not know who the industry partner is that worked with the FAA on the Know before you Fly " campaign? I think I've posted that link, and graphic, at least 20 times since it came out.

Was anything the FAA released really news, was it really shocking or unexpected? Did we not think with the explosion of these multi rotors that sightings wouldn't go up? Guess what, they probably will continue to the more hype and focus on the issue continues to remain. Hopefully in the near future, they will drop...based on the AMA and FAA's education, as well as members like us helping those getting into the hobby. I'm guessing that with continued emphasis on safe flying...AND the media moving on to the newest and bestests ratings grabbing headlines, "sightings" will drop.
The AMA is NOT and "industry" partner. Yes it is one of the partners in this program but there are also several companies (industry) involved. Can you name any of those?
Old 08-13-2015, 03:48 PM
rgburrill

Originally Posted by FLAPHappy
Tin Foil Hats prediction is accurate as seen as evidence in today news media. Yes, it's coming True. Some people think this will pass without any intervention of the FAA, and sad but true, they have not done anything yet.
That does not mean they will not do anything, because they will, as the violations continue to esculate in numbers around the World.
We can not control this behaviour of idiots flying anywhere near an airport or full scale aircraft. The FAA can.
Believe it, will see future restrictions in this hobby as it continues.
The FAA does not have a large enforcment staff. Due to the large number of UAVs, and because they are not makred like regular aircraft, UAVs must be tracked to their owners before any fines, etc can be levied. This requires coordiantion and cooperation with local law enforcement. It also could use a temendous amount of help from people like us. If we see someone is violate the law then we can collect evidence and notify the police of it and turn over the evidence.
The industry can also help and the FAA is trying to get them too. Most UAVs are sold with navigation sytems that prevent someone from flying over 400 fett in altitude and out of line-of-site. But these systems are constantly being cracked primarily because they have no security built in. Industry can prevent that. Instead it shows people how to circumvent it. This is another place the FAA can wield a potentially heavy hand like it did on the GPS jammers. But it hasn't. YET.

Edit: I'm talking here about the major problems right now. Those people who are presenting a hazard to full scale aircraft. If you see a UAV entering an airport airspace, expecially at altitude, try to get it on your phone. Try to track it back to it's pilot. Get his face on camera and then send it to the police. They will be very hapy about it. But that clown who is snooping on your neighbors daughter? Let the meighbor take care of that problem.

Last edited by rgburrill; 08-13-2015 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:59 PM
porcia83
Banned

The AMA is NOT and "industry" partner. Yes it is one of the partners in this program but there are also several companies (industry) involved. Can you name any of those?
I guess we'll agree to disagree. I would say that AMA is the industry player, specifically in regards to the Know Before You Fly Campaign. Can you name any other industry player that had a role in that campaign? The sentence was clear that they were talking about that specific program. Certainly there are other players out there, commercial (retail business wise), and the military industrial folks, but none that have our interest at heart.

Edit: the more I think about it, there are sUas outfits that are starting to organize and attempt to play a role in crafting rules and regs, and lobbying for their specific interests, both commercial (real estate, agriculture), as well as altruism (search and rescue).

Last edited by porcia83; 08-13-2015 at 08:03 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 03:37 AM
cordell staker

That's It ! Ban the Drones…They're scaring all the animals and raising the heart rates of the Bears.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...of-buzzed.html
Old 08-14-2015, 04:11 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by cordell staker
That's It ! Ban the Drones…They're scaring all the animals and raising the heart rates of the Bears.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...of-buzzed.html
I'd wager all most all Animals BP rises when ever something changes in their world. It's a defence mechanism nature has provided. It's called Flight or Fight. I'm certain that an animals or humans BP levates with either situation. A study like this make little sense unless it was compared to other stimuli. JMHO but interesting anyway.
Old 08-14-2015, 03:09 PM
porcia83
Banned

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...of-buzzed.html[/QUOTE]

https://youtu.be/wpwzUIWtKsg

Last edited by porcia83; 08-14-2015 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:36 PM
Duncman

Originally Posted by HoundDog
I'd wager all most all Animals BP rises when ever something changes in their world. It's a defence mechanism nature has provided. It's called Flight or Fight. I'm certain that an animals or humans BP levates with either situation. A study like this make little sense unless it was compared to other stimuli. JMHO but interesting anyway.
And the chickens quit laying also!!!
Old 08-19-2015, 06:08 PM
porcia83
Banned

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=6db_1439913580

Not a drone incident but equally as stupid. Would not be surprised to see this happen with a multirotor some day though, we've already seen one incident like this in NY. In this case the kid probably got some dog bites, and was arrested. I thought this charge was appropriate, and wonder if we have something similar on the books (or could be soon);

Unlawfully Engage in Behavior that Endangers an Aircraft - Aeronautics Act

This was in Canada. That charges seems generic in nature and can fit many different things. The other charge was similar to our "reckless endangerment" charges that can fit a variety of scenarios.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:48 AM
FLAPHappy

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=6db_1439913580

Not a drone incident but equally as stupid. Would not be surprised to see this happen with a multirotor some day though, we've already seen one incident like this in NY. In this case the kid probably got some dog bites, and was arrested. I thought this charge was appropriate, and wonder if we have something similar on the books (or could be soon);

Unlawfully Engage in Behavior that Endangers an Aircraft - Aeronautics Act

This was in Canada. That charges seems generic in nature and can fit many different things. The other charge was similar to our "reckless endangerment" charges that can fit a variety of scenarios.
Porcia: Yes, the Laser problem is a whole different and uncontrolled mega problem for pilots. A friend of mine is an airline pilot and he got hit with a laser that put him out of work for about 2 weeks. Fortunately he regained his eyesight and could return to work.
Just more dumb idiots in my opinion.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:50 AM
FLAPHappy

Here is another new article that may be promising in the near future. I hope they can get it to work, and with technology today, it will not be long. Take a look at this.
https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/exclusi...050355777.html
Old 08-20-2015, 08:41 AM
bradpaul

Exclusive: U.S. government, police working on counter-drone system - source Reuters

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0QP0BB20150820
Old 08-20-2015, 09:03 AM
HoundDog

This could happen here most already has:
[h=1]New Zealand's Drone and RC flying model regulations (made simple)[/h]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBJBq0tbTKM

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.