Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 09:09 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HoundDog
This could happen here most already has:
New Zealand's Drone and RC flying model regulations (made simple)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBJBq0tbTKM
Really? Where?
Old 08-20-2015, 09:11 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by bradpaul
Exclusive: U.S. government, police working on counter-drone system - source Reuters

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0QP0BB20150820
No doubt the technology is already there, it's just a question of how to employ is so that it doesn't cause more harm than good. Would be funny to see a drone launch and then come back after hit with a "ray"...watch the pilots face, like wrh, I didn't hit the return to home button, why is it come back to me? Ha!
Old 08-20-2015, 09:21 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

[h=1]Why drones are not the problem (a note to regulators)[/h]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8tnUjP-sK4
Old 08-20-2015, 11:45 AM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why drones are not the problem (a note to regulators)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8tnUjP-sK4
The person gave his opinion, which in the most part I agree with, and gives a valid commentary. People are the problem, not the Drones or Guns or Knives, it's Human behavior, that's the problem and I think it's about time for the Law Enforcement and other entities that make rules of Flight Safety get involved and make it happen.Will it happen??? I don't know, but I hope so.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:52 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by FLAPHappy
The person gave his opinion, which in the most part I agree with, and gives a valid commentary. People are the problem, not the Drones or Guns or Knives, it's Human behavior, that's the problem and I think it's about time for the Law Enforcement and other entities that make rules of Flight Safety get involved and make it happen.Will it happen??? I don't know, but I hope so.
Could not agree more....it's the people, not the technology. Hold them accountable and leave the people alone are follow the rules and regs, and use common sense. The most recent direction from the FAA is supposed to help local LE in dealing with this issue, as they are on the front lines. I hope as you do that it makes a difference.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:50 PM
HoundDog

FAA Promises Strict Action Against Illegal Drone Users
The FAA is responding to a sharp increase in drone encounters with manned aircraft. In a statement released last week, the agency said pilot reports of drones have increased from 238 in 2014 to more than 650 so far this year. The FAA is sending a clear message that they will seek fines, and even possible criminal charges for illegal use of drones. Full story >>

Old 08-20-2015, 02:22 PM
porcia83
Banned

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ons-on-drones/

Right on cue, our state senator (a guy who never met a camera he didn't like)....thinks the FAA should take steps to address the drone issue. Big hearty LOL...he's on the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation, which oversees the FAA. As if the FAA hasn't done anything yet?

Not that some of his suggestions are bad ones (geofencing around airports), but it's not like this is a new issue. But hey, got him some air time!
Old 08-21-2015, 05:57 AM
dingo9882

http://wtnh.com/2015/08/20/blumentha...ons-on-drones/

Hate to say it, but I am adding fuel to the fire if this has not already been posted.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:07 AM
wjvail
My Feedback: (3)

Hate to say it, but I am adding fuel to the fire if this has not already been posted.
Wait. What? The entire article is about some guy that saw a drone 15 miles from the airport. As a commercial airline pilot have no desire to hit a drone. On the other hand I realize that seeing a drone 15 miles from the airport, presumably thousands of feet below, is not cause for alarm. "On his approach 15 miles south of the airport" - he should have been at approximately 5,000'. Drones are perfectly legal up to 400' and within 5 miles of many airports. For all I know he looked down and saw a guy flying a RingMaster in the park.

In the same way. over the years, I've seen things I couldn't immediately identify. They were most likely mylar balloons. I suppose you would have to call them unidentified-flying-objects. The were flying. I couldn't identify them. They appeared to be - objects. Does that make them UFOs newsworthy and requiring congressional attention?

Also... Don't we have Connecticut to thank for Ted Kennedy? When elected officials from Connecticut speak, I tend to tune out.

Bill

Edited to correct a math error.

Last edited by wjvail; 08-21-2015 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:00 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by wjvail
Wait. What? The entire article is about some guy that saw a drone 15 miles from the airport. As a commercial airline pilot have no desire to hit a drone. On the other hand I realize that seeing a drone 15 miles from the airport, presumably thousands of feet below, is not cause for alarm. "On his approach 15 miles south of the airport" - he should have been at approximately 4,500'. Drones are perfectly legal up to 400' and within 5 miles of many airports. For all I know he looked down and saw a guy flying a RingMaster in the park.

In the same way. over the years, I've seen things I couldn't immediately identify. They were most likely mylar balloons. I suppose you would have to call them unidentified-flying-objects. The were flying. I couldn't identify them. They appeared to be - objects. Does that make them UFOs newsworthy and requiring congressional attention?

Also... Don't we have Connecticut to thank for Ted Kennedy? When elected officials from Connecticut speak, I tend to tune out.
"On his approach 15 miles south of the airport" - he should have been at approximately 4,500'.

I checked every approach plate at Bradly International and the vectoring altitudes to be from 2500'MSL to 3500' MSL with most at 3000'msl. Subtracting the 173' MSL of the airport the mean vectoring altitude would be 3000'-173'=2827' AGL. Still way too high for any Quad or R/C model air plane.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:00 AM
wjvail
My Feedback: (3)

I checked every approach plate at Bradly International and the vectoring altitudes to be from 2500'MSL to 3500' MSL with most at 3000'msl. Subtracting the 173' MSL of the airport the mean vectoring altitude would be 3000'-173'=2827' AGL. Still way too high for any Quad or R/C model air plane.
Understood. Those are minimum altitudes. I used the hip pocket rule: Altitude x 3 should be your range from the airport. So 5,000 feet x 3 would be 15 miles. As you pointed out you might be vectored below that but in any case you should not see a drone anywhere near your altitude.

Using this 3 to 1 rule suggests that a drone even 5 miles from an airport would have to be at 1,700' to be at the same altitude as an airplane on approach.

I've taken the liberty of a lot of rounding in my calculations. The point is, if this person reported a drone 15 miles from the airport he was either looking a long way down or the drone was violating several already established laws.

Bill

Bill

Last edited by wjvail; 08-21-2015 at 10:05 AM.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:25 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by dingo9882

I had basically posted the same thing 3 hours earlier...different source, same story.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:29 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by wjvail
Wait. What? The entire article is about some guy that saw a drone 15 miles from the airport. As a commercial airline pilot have no desire to hit a drone. On the other hand I realize that seeing a drone 15 miles from the airport, presumably thousands of feet below, is not cause for alarm. "On his approach 15 miles south of the airport" - he should have been at approximately 5,000'. Drones are perfectly legal up to 400' and within 5 miles of many airports. For all I know he looked down and saw a guy flying a RingMaster in the park.

Bill

Edited to correct a math error.
I'm suspicious of the story from the "pilot" in that this had never been reported before, but conveniently was noted standing next to a Senator who was looking for some publicity. Yes it's an issue...but where have both of these guys been for the last year or so?

You can thank our fellow New Englanders from Massachusetts for the Kennedys. Not that most states don't have their "special children".
Old 08-21-2015, 10:56 AM
HoundDog

If U notice that at 12.8 DME -1.9 DME =10.9 NM from the RWTH
Run Way Threshold U are at 3000' MSL. I would guess that the
vectoring Altitude for the ILS or LOC RWY 6 approach is 3000'MSL

Any VFR Traffic should be a Pattern altitude within 5 miles
of the airport is 1000' AGL witch iwould be 1173' MSL.

Still way too high for any Quad (Drone) or R/C model. Agreed?

Old 08-21-2015, 11:47 AM
porcia83
Banned

absolutely....nothing hobby grade RC should be at that level.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:44 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Originally Posted by porcia83
absolutely....nothing hobby grade RC should be at that level.
Agreed, HD, has shown us charts for vectors that Pilots use everyday, plates if you will. People like myself that are not Full Scale Pilots, know a very small margin of vectors and altitudes, but when not being educated on how to read these charts, and practical practice with those plates, leaving the General RC hobbyist and Pilot confused, doesn't do much good, though we do appreciate the technical portion of the comment. Can we just say, 5 miles, AGL MAX.at 400 ft, and leave it at that?
Old 08-21-2015, 01:50 PM
porcia83
Banned

Roger Roger, I got that vector Victor.
Old 08-21-2015, 04:24 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by FLAPHappy
Agreed, HD, has shown us charts for vectors that Pilots use everyday, plates if you will. People like myself that are not Full Scale Pilots, know a very small margin of vectors and altitudes, but when not being educated on how to read these charts, and practical practice with those plates, leaving the General RC hobbyist and Pilot confused, doesn't do much good, though we do appreciate the technical portion of the comment. Can we just say, 5 miles, AGL MAX.at 400 ft, and leave it at that?
For those that might be interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fElkNeuKoh0
Old 08-21-2015, 05:20 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

First, these UAVs have been seen at very high altitudes, including the 5000' from the above story, different account with more info. Second, the system the FAA wants to build will not oly allow them to disable the UAV and send it home but also track it back to the owner. Remember, as yet UAVs do not have identifying numbers on them. Yet. That can be arranged.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:09 PM
N410DC

[TABLE="width: 468"]
[TR]
[TD][TABLE="width: 479"]
[TR]
[TD="width: 2, bgcolor: #006699"][/TD]
[TD="width: 479"][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 486, bgcolor: #006699, colspan: 3"][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Students Invent Anti-Drone System
By Mary Grady
[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD]With the FAA and the aviation community facing increasing pressure to find a way to keep UAS and airplanes separate, a group of four engineering students from the University of Rhode Island have proposed a solution. Their project, which took first place in an FAA design competition, proposes installing a solar-powered drone detection and tracking system at airports, and affixing radio-frequency detection tags to drones. Read More[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[TABLE="width: 479"]
[TR]
[TD="width: 479, colspan: 3"][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Given the massive media coverage of near misses, I am convinced that virtually 100% of the pilots who are flying over airport property know that they are operating illegally. These individuals will simply remove or disable the "...radio-frequency detection tags..." that allow the UAV to be detected by the system. If the "tags" are "...incorporated into drone operating systems as a standard feature," the pilots will simply obtain flight controllers from China that do not include this technology.Even this measure might not be necessary, if the firmware can hacked/modified to disable the "tag."

UAV detection systems such as this would work well to prevent inadvertent flight at an airport, but it will do nothing to prevent people who want to fly at or near airports.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:39 PM
Duncman

Any regulation for any industry only makes it harder for the lazy ones to violate, other than that, just gives the authorities a little teeth on those rare occasions when they catch the violators.
Old 08-22-2015, 01:44 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Duncman
Any regulation for any industry only makes it harder for the lazy ones to violate, other than that, just gives the authorities a little teeth on those rare occasions when they catch the violators.
Yup, but I'm starting to wonder IF they will catch them. How many years, what at least two now, and how many sightings, and not one capture (airplane sighting wise). But yes, if/when they get them they need to make examples of them.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:36 AM
Sport_Pilot

I do not believe they can write new regulation that these people wouild not also ignore. Just need more people enforcing the law. In time this will pass, especially after a few arrests.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:26 AM
Duncman

Originally Posted by porcia83
Yup, but I'm starting to wonder IF they will catch them. How many years, what at least two now, and how many sightings, and not one capture (airplane sighting wise). But yes, if/when they get them they need to make examples of them.
Sooner or later it will happen, they will catch a genius.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:51 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by N410DC
Given the massive media coverage of near misses, I am convinced that virtually 100% of the pilots who are flying over airport property know that they are operating illegally. These individuals will simply remove or disable the "...radio-frequency detection tags..." that allow the UAV to be detected by the system. If the "tags" are "...incorporated into drone operating systems as a standard feature," the pilots will simply obtain flight controllers from China that do not include this technology.Even this measure might not be necessary, if the firmware can hacked/modified to disable the "tag."

UAV detection systems such as this would work well to prevent inadvertent flight at an airport, but it will do nothing to prevent people who want to fly at or near airports.
You got that right. Most hobby drones sold today already have the line-of-sight and 400 ft altitude protections built in. These clowns just disable them so disabling a RFID tag will be no problem. The solution to detection is to look for transmissions on the video frequencies these clowns are using. Two detectors near an airport can home on in on the UAV and send the info to the police. The police can then vector a helicopter to the location to continue tracking. Knowing what frequency they are broadcasting video on will also allow that video to be jammed. forcing a return to home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.