Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 06:07 AM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Duncman
Just some prudently applied vigilantism goes a long way to right the universe.
"Prudently applied vigilantisam" We have a winner! The oximoron of the year... Oh, wait a minute! You were kidding, I almost missed it. Good one:-)

Gerry
Old 08-30-2015, 06:49 AM
Duncman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lifer
Cool!
Old 08-30-2015, 07:12 PM
N410DC

Originally Posted by FLAPHappy
Looks like a DJI Inspire 1. Perhaps permanent confiscation of the guy's $3,000+ quad will send a strong message.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:02 PM
TimJ

From the AMA:

The California State Senate followed the State Assembly’s lead in passing California SB 142. AMA spoke out in opposition to this bill in a letter to the Senate and the bill’s sponsors, and testified further before the Joint Legislative Committee on Emergency Management and the Senate Judiciary Committee on August 18th. Despite these efforts the California legislature passed SB 142, legislation that may pose a significant threat to recreational model aviation.
While originally intended to address privacy concerns the bill was amended in late June and, as such, now potentially subjects model aviation enthusiasts to possible law suits and civil sanctions for even an inadvertent excursion over the property of a neighbor that borders their flying field, schoolyard, park, or even their backyard.
This bill currently is sitting on Governor Brown’s desk waiting for his action. Time is short. The governor has until September 12, 2015 to either sign or veto this proposed legislation.
Please act now and let Governor Brown know that, as a recreational aeromodeler, you believe that this bill is too broad and overreaching and can only have a negative impact on model aviation.
Thanks for your help on this important issue.
http://amagov.modelaircraft.org/18534/californiasb142/
Old 09-04-2015, 05:30 AM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Another idiot http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/tenn...r8r?li=BBgzzfc
Old 09-04-2015, 06:05 AM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Some of these thing are huge, and they are flying them up where full scale are, we have many small aircraft that can fly very fast, had an RV come into my airport the other day that could do a 180 , a drone could go through his canopy, had a guy in a long easy come in that had a little damage on his plane and prop, he had no ideas what hit him, but again no blood on the plane, I have seen many Bird strikes in my years at the airport, not many dents from them but always blood,
Old 09-04-2015, 06:37 AM
Duncman

A video came over my page the other day, wished I had saved the link, that should a 737 hit in the winglet by a drone, at first I thought it photo shopped but maybe not. Chilling the damage it caused.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:40 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

That was a completely fabricated video, it's about 2 months old now I believe. All Photoshopped, the guy who did it also did a "how I made it" video as well. Thankfully he admitted it after posting the original video, as that was just as reckless as people shooting video over stadiums etc.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:41 AM
porcia83
Banned

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...line-jet.html/
Old 09-04-2015, 01:53 PM
Duncman

Originally Posted by porcia83
That was a completely fabricated video, it's about 2 months old now I believe. All Photoshopped, the guy who did it also did a "how I made it" video as well. Thankfully he admitted it after posting the original video, as that was just as reckless as people shooting video over stadiums etc.
Yea, I suspected that, they did a good job, I'm impressed.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:32 AM
Sport_Pilot

had anRV come into my airport the other day that could do a 180
Wow was that a hopped up Winnebago?
Old 09-06-2015, 12:05 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

RV-4 probably, a kit build full size IIRC
Old 09-06-2015, 12:50 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Several years ago, only the "TIN FOIL HATS" were predicting this sort of thing becoming a reality, huh...?
Old 09-06-2015, 09:28 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

New indestructible DRONE
https://tuffguystuff.com/technology/...torture-tests/
Old 09-07-2015, 03:45 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by combatpigg
Several years ago, only the "TIN FOIL HATS" were predicting this sort of thing becoming a reality, huh...?
What was that they were predicting...that someone would create a photoshopped movie clip of a fictional strike?
Old 09-07-2015, 05:30 AM
jelge

I haven't read all of the posts in this thread so I don't know if this was posted or not but there have been at least two reported UAV vs. full scale midair collisions this year. One in Illinois and one in California to go with the long list of near misses. Although unconfirmed, the Illinois collision generated damage that could not have been from a bird strike.

http://www.flyingmag.com/technique/accidents/faa-investigating-reported-uav-collision-piper-twin

Here is an old one under "controlled" conditions of the military.

http://defensetech.org/2011/08/17/mi...130-and-a-uav/

It won't be long before someone gets killed in a midair collision with a UAV.

Last edited by jelge; 09-07-2015 at 05:41 AM.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:49 AM
bradpaul

another idiot....................... http://www.kentucky.com/2015/09/05/4...alth.html?rh=1
Old 09-07-2015, 12:06 PM
Duncman

Originally Posted by bradpaul
another idiot....................... http://www.kentucky.com/2015/09/05/4...alth.html?rh=1

at least they caught the guy, now make an example of him, might give others a second thought.
Old 09-07-2015, 01:21 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by bradpaul
Expelled from school, arrested, criminally charged, jailed if an injury was sustained, then fined substantially. Between legal fees and fines, will think twice about every picking up an RC product again. Doubt any of that will happen, but it should.
Old 09-07-2015, 01:33 PM
Duncman

Originally Posted by porcia83
Expelled from school, arrested, criminally charged, jailed if an injury was sustained, then fined substantially. Between legal fees and fines, will think twice about every picking up an RC product again. Doubt any of that will happen, but it should.
He will probably get a 3 day school suspension, criminal charges will be brought but the resolution will be a small $500.00 fine that daddy will pay and some community service in lieu of jail time. That is if he has no priors, first timers are usually given a slap on the wrist and sent to the corner with a dunce cap. One side of me says that is ok for a first timer but the other side, due to the harm potential, is saying: "throw the book at him".
Old 09-07-2015, 02:28 PM
hairy46

Rv 9

Last edited by hairy46; 09-08-2015 at 01:45 AM.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:40 PM
Sport_Pilot

I was joking actually.
Old 09-08-2015, 01:43 AM
hairy46

Ok, sorry
Old 09-08-2015, 06:45 AM
N410DC

Originally Posted by jelge
I haven't read all of the posts in this thread so I don't know if this was posted or not but there have been at least two reported UAV vs. full scale midair collisions this year. One in Illinois and one in California to go with the long list of near misses. Although unconfirmed, the Illinois collision generated damage that could not have been from a bird strike.

http://www.flyingmag.com/technique/accidents/faa-investigating-reported-uav-collision-piper-twin

Here is an old one under "controlled" conditions of the military.

http://defensetech.org/2011/08/17/mi...130-and-a-uav/

It won't be long before someone gets killed in a midair collision with a UAV.
Even the FAA admits that the first incident may or may not have involved a UAV. It's interesting to note that this aircraft is owned by an aerial imaging company, which stands to loose a lot of business from camera-equipped drones.

The second incident involved a very large military drone that is not available to the general public.

As far as I know, there have been no confirmed reports of a civilian UAV colliding with any full scale aircraft.

I think a midair collision between a UAV and a full scale aircraft will happen, eventually. However, I think the chance of a fatality in the aftermath of such an incident is unlikely. If a C-130 can survive an severe airborne impact with a 185 pound drone, a hobby grade drone has little to no chance to cause a fatal accident. Even if a UAV is ingested into a jet engine, the pilot will shut down the engine, the engine's integrated fire extinguishers will douse any fire, and the pilots will land the aircraft safely, just has they have dozens of times in a simulator. No twin-engine aircraft can certified unless it is capable of climbing on a single engine, and jets can generally take off on one engine after they reach a certain speed.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:24 AM
jelge

Originally Posted by N410DC
Even the FAA admits that the first incident may or may not have involved a UAV. It's interesting to note that this aircraft is owned by an aerial imaging company, which stands to loose a lot of business from camera-equipped drones.

The second incident involved a very large military drone that is not available to the general public.

As far as I know, there have been no confirmed reports of a civilian UAV colliding with any full scale aircraft.

I think a midair collision between a UAV and a full scale aircraft will happen, eventually. However, I think the chance of a fatality in the aftermath of such an incident is unlikely. If a C-130 can survive an severe airborne impact with a 185 pound drone, a hobby grade drone has little to no chance to cause a fatal accident. Even if a UAV is ingested into a jet engine, the pilot will shut down the engine, the engine's integrated fire extinguishers will douse any fire, and the pilots will land the aircraft safely, just has they have dozens of times in a simulator. No twin-engine aircraft can certified unless it is capable of climbing on a single engine, and jets can generally take off on one engine after they reach a certain speed.
I did mention it was unconfirmed didn't I? I have seen many bird strikes. Even repaired a few. Most just leave round dents. Sometimes the dents are bigger and odd shaped depending on the where the strike is in relation to the rib and sometimes they will penetrate. I have yet to see one that left a gash with a long dent to the side. There is always the possibility I am wrong but my 30 years of aircraft maintenance experience suggests otherwise. I have seen good tree strikes do less damage than what that leading edge shows. But, back to birds, a 3 pound bird made of feathers, meat and hollow bone can penetrate a windshield or wing if it hits right. What will a hard plastic and steel model do while weighing more and possibly flying faster? Take a minute and consider the possibilities, especially for a windshield strike on a small aircraft with only one pilot on board. There are drones for civilian use already above 50 pounds fortunately the problem children so far seem to be using small craft. How big will Amazon's need to be to deliver packages? True, it is the aircraft of an aerial photography company but how many operators actually fly in the same airspace they do? Cops, ambulance, radio/TV and ag pilots are the only ones I can think of. If it happened over a city you can remove ag pilots from the list unless they are spraying mosquitoes. I find it hard to believe they would do a couple of thousand dollars damage to their aircraft for a hoax. Not to mention the week of lost work while it is getting repaired and painted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.