Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Old 10-30-2015, 09:35 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Every time I hear about drones being shot down I keep thinking what would be the ultimate NON lethal round to use. Remember the gun someone built that shoots a net? to entangle the person.. real low range and probably not gonna work. Then I was thinking maybe a hollow fragile round the size of a golf ball that breaks open with lots of strands of string in it. Sort of a low tech tangle weapon.. I bet a quad hates getting anything string like into its airflow....

Anyhow its just sort of a ( HOW TO ) logic puzzle or challenge every time I think of it.

We have joked at the field about having one of those NET guns for the helis when they get to close or over the pits....

One of my greatest fears is a cheap jammer will be built that can bring any rc down. I admit I wouldn't want people able to simply drive by an established field and take everyone out... I know it happened in the past on 72 mhz.. I would hate to see our 2.4 radios vulnerable in the future.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:58 AM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by foodstick
Every time I hear about drones being shot down I keep thinking what would be the ultimate NON lethal round to use. Remember the gun someone built that shoots a net? to entangle the person.. real low range and probably not gonna work. Then I was thinking maybe a hollow fragile round the size of a golf ball that breaks open with lots of strands of string in it. Sort of a low tech tangle weapon.. I bet a quad hates getting anything string like into its airflow....

Anyhow its just sort of a ( HOW TO ) logic puzzle or challenge every time I think of it.

We have joked at the field about having one of those NET guns for the helis when they get to close or over the pits....

One of my greatest fears is a cheap jammer will be built that can bring any rc down. I admit I wouldn't want people able to simply drive by an established field and take everyone out... I know it happened in the past on 72 mhz.. I would hate to see our 2.4 radios vulnerable in the future.
For the first part, here is another way to "down a Drone" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4emOInWh2ec

The second part, 2.4 GHZ is a pretty reliable link for RC. That is not to say, somebody will not invent a jammer for 2.4, they maybe already have as far as I know?
Old 10-30-2015, 01:11 PM
jetmaven

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just posted on CNN.com is a story about an Eagle doing the right thing .
It wrestled a drone out of the sky and trashed it .
Go Eagles .
Old 10-30-2015, 06:34 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by jetmaven
Just posted on CNN.com is a story about an Eagle doing the right thing .
It wrestled a drone out of the sky and trashed it .
Go Eagles .
Here's one from a while back

GO HAWKS !

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AhDG_WBIQgc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-30-2015, 06:52 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Hawks are our friends!
Old 11-11-2015, 09:32 PM
Flight Risk

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So why don't these drone owners come forward to claim their expensive drones? Evidently it's not completely illegal to fly there.
http://www.engadget.com/2015/11/11/s...s-great-wheel/
Old 11-12-2015, 02:14 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Flight Risk
So why don't these drone owners come forward to claim their expensive drones? Evidently it's not completely illegal to fly there.
One one hand the story says this:

".On YouTube there are a number of videos from people safely flying drones around the massive ride, but incidents like this show how a few careless owners may ruin the hobby for those that operate their aircraft responsibly...."

But then go on to show 3 videos of people filming the tower, all amateurs who doubtfully have permits to do this. And they wonder why people keep doing this?

I'm sure they, nor the Phantom operator in this video had permission to fly there, it's a heavily populated areas. I hope they figure out who it is, confiscate the quad, arrest the owner, charge them with a felony, and then fine him significantly.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:26 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by foodstick

Try a shotgun with bird shot. It will not kill anyone if you don't shoot it at someone at close range.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:26 AM
FLAPHappy

Originally Posted by porcia83

".On YouTube there are a number of videos from people safely flying drones around the massive ride, but incidents like this show how a few careless owners may ruin the hobby for those that operate their aircraft responsibly...."

But then go on to show 3 videos of people filming the tower, all amateurs who doubtfully have permits to do this. And they wonder why people keep doing this?

I'm sure they, nor the Phantom operator in this video had permission to fly there, it's a heavily populated areas. I hope they figure out who it is, confiscate the quad, arrest the owner, charge them with a felony, and then fine him significantly.
Porcia: If you reread the very first post of this thread, that's almost word for word what I stated over a year ago.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:31 AM
FLAPHappy

Originally Posted by Flight Risk
It is illegal to fly there, there are people around an amusement parks. Why don't they claim their expensive drones? Well, they will find themselves with a very hefty fine and possible jail time if they do.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:31 AM
porcia83
Banned

Porcia: If you reread the very first post of this thread, that's almost word for word what I stated over a year ago.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Normally I wouldn't go back through 2600 some comments, but it was easy enough to go to page one. Not sure what is there in the OP is what I said above almost word for word...might have been initially but looks like someone other than you did some editing...
Old 11-12-2015, 07:37 AM
FLAPHappy

--------------------------------------------------------------

Normally I wouldn't go back through 2600 some comments, but it was easy enough to go to page one. Not sure what is there in the OP is what I said above almost word for word...might have been initially but looks like someone other than you did some editing...
Not sure what you mean? The first post has not been edited by anyone.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:40 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by FLAPHappy
Not sure what you mean? The first post has not been edited by anyone.
Might wanna double check that...sure looks like it was.

Last edited by RCKen; 06-12-2015 at 08:59 AM.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:51 AM
FLAPHappy

Might wanna double check that...sure looks like it was.

Last edited by RCKen; 06-12-2015 at 08:59 AM.

Porcia: I did recheck the first post. It looks like RC Ken edited something but the wording did not change at all. I don't understand why it shows that? Real strange.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:56 AM
porcia83
Banned

It's RCU....that's all ya need to know.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:48 AM
N410DC

It is illegal to fly there, there are people around an amusement parks. Why don't they claim their expensive drones? Well, they will find themselves with a very hefty fine and possible jail time if they do.
My thoughts exactly. The fines and legal fees may well exceed the cost of the Phantom, and the camera. If the pilot is convicted of a crime, he may not even get the equipment back in the first place. Add that to the logistical consequences costs of a criminal conviction (e.g. difficulty landing a job), and it makes sense to stay in the background.

The more salient question is whether or not this pilot would have registered this aircraft, and put his registration number on the aircraft, if he intended to use it to commit a crime. I think we all agree on the answer to this question.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:21 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

As to the editing on this thread... wasn't this the one that said DROME in the title instead of drone?

Its been awhile but I think it was misspelled.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:22 AM
porcia83
Banned

haha...come to think of it I think you're right. The great Dome edit!
Old 11-12-2015, 09:54 AM
FLAPHappy

haha...come to think of it I think you're right. The great Dome edit!
You both are incorrect. I remember now, I had Ken edit the title of the thread to correct the word does, origionally I spelled it doe's. I got corrected by another poster to correct the spelling, I could not do it so I had Ken do it.
Regardless, the post stayed the same, and matches the news article a year later. It really doesn't matter anyway about that issue. The problem is the idiots that are flying these things, breaking the law, will get us all regulated.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:50 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by flaphappy
for the first part, here is another way to "down a drone" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4emoinwh2ec
gooooooooooooaaaaaaallllllllll
Old 11-12-2015, 10:52 AM
porcia83
Banned

video not available anymore...got a new link?
Old 11-12-2015, 10:53 AM
porcia83
Banned

You both are incorrect. I remember now, I had Ken edit the title of the thread to correct the word does, origionally I spelled it doe's. I got corrected by another poster to correct the spelling, I could not do it so I had Ken do it.
Regardless, the post stayed the same, and matches the news article a year later. It really doesn't matter anyway about that issue. The problem is the idiots that are flying these things, breaking the law, will get us all regulated.

Agree in general, I don't think the few dopes are what has brought us to where we are now, again look at the laser situation. Certainly dangerous as well but not nearly the reaction. Nonetheless, we are where we are. Not to long before we learn our "fate", or at least the progression of it.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:02 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Here's one from a while back

GO HAWKS !

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AhDG_WBIQgc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
And don't forget the ram that didn't like being followed.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:31 PM
porcia83
Banned

LOVED the way he stalked that...circled around...then went in for the kill. Hawk: 1. Phantom: 0
Old 11-12-2015, 01:57 PM
mike1974

Wrong thread

Last edited by mike1974; 11-12-2015 at 02:00 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.