Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 06:31 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rob2160
What I don't understand is why people advertise they will continue flying without registering. If you are going to do that its a personal choice but posting it in a public forum is just painting a target on yourself.

Not a problem if you take up a different hobby. Shopping for a good AR-15 myself.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:38 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Seems pretty smart to me. Maybe hanging a bump fire AR-15 would be smarter. I suspect he will need it in the next decade or two.
Oh lord...not you too!
Old 12-31-2015, 06:43 AM
FALCONSNEST

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
Sometimes it's difficult to get into the mindset of someone who wants to buck the system and do what they want to do. Perhaps he wants to test the law and become the next Trappy? Then again, this is a guy who also posts extended videos of himself holding his cell phone, selfie style, driving on highways and through the streets. He shows no regards for model aviation safety, and none for motor vehicle safety. No concern for others, just a drive to satisfy his own needs. I forget the term for that. But the videos live on forever and are great pieces of evidence used to show a pattern and practice of recklessness.
It's di
It's called Narcissism.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:55 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by FALCONSNEST
It's called Narcissism.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	index.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	2138762  
Old 12-31-2015, 09:27 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

What I don't understand is why people advertise they will continue flying without registering. If you are going to do that its a personal choice but posting it in a public forum is just painting a target on yourself.

Ignorance or arrogance I'd suspect or just STUPID and Stupid can't be fixed sorry
Old 12-31-2015, 09:29 AM
HoundDog

Really None of thing crap means a pinch of Sheit to 99% of us especially here ... I don't fly any where but our club field (Float flying excluded) so the only thing that might be bothered with is the 400 foot thing but rarely. How many of us fly at other than our fields or fly Quads else where? I'd guess not many.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:33 AM
HoundDog

Hi Mike, thanks for your reply and I was actually in the process of changing the wording of my post to be less offensive. Calling people idiots is not polite and so I apologise.

I honestly don't know how heavy handed the FAA will get with this but if I was planning not to register I wouldn't advertise it. I may be wrong but I think this process is here to stay so its a personal choice (and risk) each person will have to make for themselves. I agree with you that the person they should be making an example of is the one who deliberately or wantonly flies with no regard to the safety of others and the registration process won't necessarily identify them as they are unlikely to register anyway.

I won't fly much in the NAS but when I do I am happy to play by the rules.
Would not flying in the US NAS from Sidney a little BLOS .....LOL
Old 12-31-2015, 09:48 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Ignorance or arrogance I'd suspect or just STUPID and Stupid can't be fixed sorry
No law against not registering. The FAA would need to prove you actually flew anyway, not make a statement. BTW I thought such statements were protected by the 1st Amendment? I guess we have no such right anymore and will eventually have to use our 2nd Amendment rights.
Old 12-31-2015, 02:23 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

No law against not registering. The FAA would need to prove you actually flew anyway, not make a statement. BTW I thought such statements were protected by the 1st Amendment? I guess we have no such right anymore and will eventually have to use our 2nd Amendment rights.
You have the right to remain silent.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:53 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The FAA is not the enforcement group we should be worried about. They will waste no time in notifying all local police departments that an FAA issued permit is required to operate any model aircraft.
Old 12-31-2015, 04:09 PM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by 049flyer
The FAA is not the enforcement group we should be worried about. They will waste no time in notifying all local police departments that an FAA issued permit is required to operate any model aircraft.
Pretty much so. Think about this carefully.........rather than paying 5 bucks to register with FAA and have the local cops enforce their lenient rules, would you really rather have the city of Tyler make the rules? My guess is that somewhere between many and most local political entities would take the easy way out when it comes to regulation/enforcement, and that is to ban R/C flying within the boundaries of their cognizance altogether.
Old 12-31-2015, 05:19 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Even worse, in Tyler we fly at a city park just within 4 nautical miles of an airport with an operating tower. I fear for the future of our field.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:24 PM
cj_rumley

Even worse, in Tyler we fly at a city park just within 4 nautical miles of an airport with an operating tower. I fear for the future of our field.
I understand your apprehension, but the FAA's 5 mile rule isn't a rigid wall. It doesn't say no fly, but rather requires that you notify the airport operator of your model operations. The only thing that has changed is the perimeter, formerly within 3 mi radius of an airport, now 5 mi radius. Many model fields have been operating for a long while within a 3 mi perimeter in cooperation with the airport operator to avoid conflicts. If your field has been operational for some time at 4 mi distance without any history of interference with traffic at the airport, you just need to tell the operator that, and unless you are talking to a real hard-ass (improbable), you are unlikely to encounter a serious threat to loss of your field. I'm confident you can do it, but wish you well in the effort anyway.
BTW, are you a TUFF member? I am, but my TDY schedule hasn't put me in the area with time on my hands since I joined....
Old 12-31-2015, 07:48 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by rgburrill
Excellent advice
Old 12-31-2015, 08:49 PM
Bolshoi
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by Maximilionalpha
You guys are idiots to go register with the FAA
Are you volunteering to pay everyone's fines then? It's up to $27,500 per person for not registering. If an accident happens and you're not registered, and if it turns into a criminal penalty, $250,000.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:52 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by rgburrill
Except when giving the hail to the Fuhrer salute.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:53 PM
Sport_Pilot

Typically local police don't give a hoot what the FAA says. But this age who knows.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:56 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by Bolshoi
Are you volunteering to pay everyone's fines then? It's up to $27,500 per person for not registering. If an accident happens and you're not registered, and if it turns into a criminal penalty, $250,000.
There cannot be any fines till 19 Feb. The AMA did not ask anyone to put themselves in jeopardy.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:24 PM
N410DC

How is that stupid?
I am envisioning a gust of wind blowing the quad a few feet in the wrong direction, and igniting a forest fire. In and of itself, I was impressed with the stunt. However, I would have kept that quad a few dozen yards from anything that could catch on fire. The bird excluded, of course.

There cannot be any fines till 19 Feb. The AMA did not ask anyone to put themselves in jeopardy.
Any aircraft that was not first "operated" prior to 12/21/15 must have the owner's registration number on or in the aircraft prior to any flight. The exemption applies to two of my three my airworthy aircraft, but not to the one that Santa brought down the chimney. What does the AMA (or anyone else, for that matter) recommend, if I want to fly my brand new aircraft before the AMA and FAA work this out (or until it is apparent that the FAA is not going to listen to the AMA?) As far as I am concerned, flying this new aircraft without a registration number is placing me "in jeopardy."

Saturday is going to be a great day for her maiden flight.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:56 PM
HoundDog

Remember back in 1991 When the FCC mandated dual conversion receivers. OH the Out cry. What's stopping the, FCC on be half of the FAA, to mandate all new receivers or add ons that require GEO Fencing? That way the FAA would not have to enforce any NEW Rules and it would be the FCC's mandate and they don't have any such mandate, not to make new rules for R/C Toys.
Now I'm not trying to give the "Gestapo" any new Ideas. Just Saying.

GoodNight to all see a next year ... My puter says 23:57 Dec 31 2015
Old 01-01-2016, 08:55 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by ramboamt
Just checked the NTSB.GOV website and their is no mention of the "Near miss" in Florida. Either the information that the news article used is incorrect or the NTSB did not get this information from the FAA.
Either a complete fabrication or miss-identification of a far off aircraft from Tyndall AFB. The pilot never reported it as a near miss and this was reported by the controller, so it as possibly also a misscommunication between pilot and controller as to what happened. IMO a complete fabrication by the FAA.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:58 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by N410DC

Any aircraft that was not first "operated" prior to 12/21/15 must have the owner's registration number on or in the aircraft prior to any flight. The exemption applies to two of my three my airworthy aircraft, but not to the one that Santa brought down the chimney. What does the AMA (or anyone else, for that matter) recommend, if I want to fly my brand new aircraft before the AMA and FAA work this out (or until it is apparent that the FAA is not going to listen to the AMA?) As far as I am concerned, flying this new aircraft without a registration number is placing me "in jeopardy."

Saturday is going to be a great day for her maiden flight.

Wait you are helping to screw up AMA's chance of talking the FAA out of this because you can;t wait a couple of months? Talk about lack of support!
Old 01-01-2016, 09:01 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by JohnShe
Duh! "Miracle on the Hudson"?
That was a flock of geese. Ever see flocks of drones?
Old 01-01-2016, 09:06 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I never could understand the term "near-miss" It is either a miss, or a hit. the proper term SHOULD be, Near-HIT! Man you just barely caught that ball, yeah , nearly missed it!
Old 01-01-2016, 09:31 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by AllModesR/C
I thought jet engines are designed to withstand geese being sucked into them? So how could a little drone be so "catastrophic?"
Had a sparrow hit my armored windshield at 500kts (EA6B at 500' AGL on a military training route) - completely shattered, nearly penetrated into cockpit. I can assure you that hitting a bird can easily be a bonafide life threating emergency in an aircraft. Here's a few pics to see what these "soft" birds can do:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	73268.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	2139017   Click image for larger version

Name:	atlantic_southeast_delta_birdstrike.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	2139018   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bird%20strike7.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	2139019   Click image for larger version

Name:	birdstrike.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	2139020   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	338.4 KB
ID:	2139021   Click image for larger version

Name:	IAF_UH-60_after_birds_strike_outside.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	2139022   Click image for larger version

Name:	jet_bird_07.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	2139023   Click image for larger version

Name:	ucak.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	2139024  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.