Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 08:24 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FLAPHappy
OK. All the talk about MR'S AKA Drones has been hashed over many times. They are the Primary Reason that caused all the uproar and that led to Registration of all RC Now, take a look at the new contraption they have invented, and may be on the Market for sale next year!
How is the FAA going to regulate that?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/real-hove...320.html?nhp=1
I suspect that this is so dangerous that the FAA won't have to regulate. By the time they draw up regulations the 100% fatality rate would wipe the users off the earth!
Old 04-12-2016, 08:47 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

OK. All the talk about MR'S AKA Drones has been hashed over many times. They are the Primary Reason that caused all the uproar and that led to Registration of all RC Now, take a look at the new contraption they have invented, and may be on the Market for sale next year!

10 minutes and close to 90 MPH , gonna get real interesting when people riding those things start hitting buildings & trees & other terrain at 90 MPH , they will be the human equivalent of a Bug on the windshield
Old 04-12-2016, 10:58 AM
N410DC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very good question. Since it's a manned aircraft, it should be regulated just like any other manned aircraft. Currently, a small "hoverboard" may theoretically fit into the Ultralight category, which requires no pilot certificate or training. Ultralights also can't fly over congested areas, and must get permission before flying in controlled airspace. So, even though the hoverboard can reportedly go to 10,000', this would not be possible in most parts of the US (without prior permission), since Class E airspace begins at a much lower altitude, in most areas.

If the hoverbaord idea really takes off (pun intended,) and similar "personal aircraft" hit the market, then the FAA may indeed have to regulate these aircraft separately.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:34 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

For all U Kit and Scratch builders try this.

[TABLE="width: 750"]
[TR]
[TD][TABLE="width: 750"]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Can't see images? Click here to view in browser.[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: left"][TABLE="width: 600"]
[TR]
[TD][TABLE="width: 600, align: center"]
[TR]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="align: left"][h=2]Let KITPLANES be your passport to the exhilarating, innovative and affordable world of homebuilt aircraft![/h]Dear Michael,
Want to discover great thinking inside the box? Each issue ofKITPLANES puts you on the flightline with planes from kit and plane designers whose aircraft are recapturing the past and redefining the future. These are planes you can build, own, and fly – right now! These planes are designed to take you to the sky-at a down-to-earth cost!

In KITPLANES, the country's top home-builders give you the bottom line on construction and assembly. You'll be briefed on the best techniques for doing everything from constructing composite wingtips to working with Ceconite. You'll cut time without cutting corners. You'll build with confidence and with pride.

Order Today to lock in the ride of your life!
Regards,

The Kitplanes Team

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
One of these should keep ya busy for ten or more years. May be more fun too.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:20 PM
N410DC

Originally Posted by HoundDog
For all U Kit and Scratch builders try this.

[TABLE="width: 750"]
[TR]
[TD][TABLE="width: 750"]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Can't see images? Click here to view in browser.[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: left"][TABLE="width: 600"]
[TR]
[TD][TABLE="width: 600, align: center"]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="align: left"]Let KITPLANES be your passport to the exhilarating, innovative and affordable world of homebuilt aircraft!

Dear Michael,
Want to discover great thinking inside the box? Each issue ofKITPLANES puts you on the flightline with planes from kit and plane designers whose aircraft are recapturing the past and redefining the future. These are planes you can build, own, and fly – right now! These planes are designed to take you to the sky-at a down-to-earth cost!

In KITPLANES, the country's top home-builders give you the bottom line on construction and assembly. You'll be briefed on the best techniques for doing everything from constructing composite wingtips to working with Ceconite. You'll cut time without cutting corners. You'll build with confidence and with pride.

Order Today to lock in the ride of your life!
Regards,

The Kitplanes Team

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
One of these should keep ya busy for ten or more years. May be more fun too.
...and you don't have to register with the FAA! (I don't think so, at least, as long as the aircraft is light enough and only has one seat.)
Old 04-12-2016, 05:47 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by N410DC
...and you don't have to register with the FAA! (I don't think so, at least, as long as the aircraft is light enough and only has one seat.)
No registration for Ultralites under 255 lbs empty weight

Light Sport and every thing yes U even need a FAA license to fly anything but an ultra light. For Light sport U just don't need a 3rd class medical, Boy sure would hate to have a medical,biannual flight test ect. Many couldn't pass any of them, Pacemakers and all the Pills WOW. Be happy with a FAA Registration number for $5.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:01 PM
Flight Risk
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
I suspect that this is so dangerous that the FAA won't have to regulate. By the time they draw up regulations the 100% fatality rate would wipe the users off the earth!
To be flown only over water, or with a parachute? I imagine this test pilot has 100s of hours training with the water jet unit before doing this.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:18 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by Flight Risk
To be flown only over water, or with a parachute? I imagine this test pilot has 100s of hours training with the water jet unit before doing this.
Flying over water won't help you if you are at 10,000 feet. And I'm talking about the same idiots flying drones into airport airspace flying them, not test pilots.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:23 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by init4fun
10 minutes and close to 90 MPH , gonna get real interesting when people riding those things start hitting buildings & trees & other terrain at 90 MPH , they will be the human equivalent of a Bug on the windshield

They couldnt pay me enough to step on that thing. Clearly the developers haven't seen what happens to a human body in an aircraft accident.

I really question the sanity of people who beleive they need to risk their lives to enjoy it.

I had a few friends like that. They all died years ago.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:27 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Rob2160
They couldnt pay me enough to step on that thing. Clearly the developers haven't seen what happens to a human body in an aircraft accident.

I really question the sanity of people who beleive they need to risk their lives to enjoy it.

I had a few friends like that. They all died years ago
Hey how PYLON racing them at your Local Airfield ... I'm sure they would come under Ultralite category well maybe except for the speed and 4 turbines OH well !
Old 04-14-2016, 09:06 AM
mike1974

The FAA couldn't regulate the current aircraft out there BEFORE this whole "drone" thing. They most certainly cannot regulate "drones" or RC. That is just funny! The gov't moves at a snails pace while technology is now moving at warpdrive pace. Technology is going to continue to outpace our current gov't and their lack of ability to regulate so much as a fly buzzing through the air without 800 committee meetings and 1500 votes 5 years later. And that's for something simple. How long have they had to come up with "drone" regulations? Years I believe. And they have completely botched it in epic proportions. Once again regulating the 99%+ of people who are not going to cause problems anyway.

Want proof our gov't will never be able to regulate RC? How about the Drug War. 40 years, 1 trillion dollars, enormous amounts of manpower and multiple agencies specifically crerated for drug regulation. Result? Drugs are easier to get, cheaper, more refined and more potent than in the previous 40 years. And thanks to big pharma almost anyone can walk into their Dr's office and get high after they pick up their script a half hour later.

How in the world is the FAA going to police all the rural areas across the country? Joe Blow who goes out to a field at any random time for a half hour to hours? Not possible. IMHO they need to quit their stupid BS regulation crap that does not pertain to over 99% of RC'ers and concentrate on the ACTUAL problem. People flying quads in congested, populated areas and near airports. That is the real problem IMO.

I personally have a 250 FPV racing quad that I rip around at low level and in safe areas. I have no interest in big heavy quads that can just fall out of the sky upon battery or other failures. I like having the glide factor. lol.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:17 AM
mike1974

I also checked out the B4UFly app. It might have some use if every freakin' grass field that someone decided to mow was not listed as a 5 mile no fly zone?!?!?!? These people need to seriously pull their heads out of their *****es, get out of the meeting room and explore the REAL world that apparently does not exist when they are having their meetings and coming up with this ridiculous crap.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:42 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by Rob2160

I had a few friends like that. They all died years ago.
Exactly !

I had my crazy fun in my youth as well , but even then it was calculated risks , things like riding motorcycles but not driving like an idiot and I did live to tell the tales . Something like this real hoverboard seems as though the death per accident rate would be high enough for it to never become a household toy like the little skateboard based "hoverboards" they sell today (with the obviously not well managed Lipos , many fires in the news here in the US involving the hoverboards batteries) .
Old 04-14-2016, 12:19 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

http://jalopnik.com/the-thrill-of-dr...mme-1770873852

Yup, yet another organization getting in on the "fad" of MR racing. Just a little organization called ESPN. I'm sure only a few folks will shop up to the races in New York, just like a few showed up to collect over a million dollars in prize money in Dubai.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:51 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by mike1974
I also checked out the B4UFly app. It might have some use if every freakin' grass field that someone decided to mow was not listed as a 5 mile no fly zone?!?!?!? These people need to seriously pull their heads out of their *****es, get out of the meeting room and explore the REAL world that apparently does not exist when they are having their meetings and coming up with this ridiculous crap.
Move to up state NY. Between 3 = 5 mile limits here so no restriction here.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:01 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Move to up state NY. Between 3 = 5 mile limits here so no restriction here.
How can that be? the Rule is 5 miles and contact with the manager and a tower if present. RIGHT?
Old 04-16-2016, 06:28 AM
Sport_Pilot

Between 3 airports and their 5 mile limits. That is outside of all of those 5 mile limits.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:43 AM
TheEdge
Banned
My Feedback: (788)

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

[h=1]Drone hit British Airways plane approaching Heathrow Airport[/h]
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-36067591
Old 04-17-2016, 11:00 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by TheEdge
Drone hit British Airways plane approaching Heathrow Airport

Yep , and it's only a matter of time till it happens here too . My local big airport (Boston's Logan Airport) has already reported a bunch of near misses and I really hope that when it does finally happen here that the aircraft is undamaged as that British one was . It musta been a small toy grade drone cause the story did say the aircraft was cleared for it's next flight but that's no bearing on how big or small the NEXT drone is to collide with a jetliner !

Thank God not one person at any of the fields I fly thinks my P51 or my F4U is a drone !

"Nice plane ! ..... Got any Drones ? .... No , I don't fly drones , just miniature copies of some of my favorite full sized airplanes ..... Oh , well , cool plane anyway"
Old 04-17-2016, 11:25 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by init4fun
Yep , and it's only a matter of time till it happens here too . My local big airport (Boston's Logan Airport) has already reported a bunch of near misses and I really hope that when it does finally happen here that the aircraft is undamaged as that British one was . It musta been a small toy grade drone cause the story did say the aircraft was cleared for it's next flight but that's no bearing on how big or small the NEXT drone is to collide with a jetliner !
What's unfortunate is that the only reason there wasn't serious damage is luck...however there will be some who say "See, I told you hitting a drone wouldn't cause any damage."
Old 04-17-2016, 03:06 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by franklin_m
What's unfortunate is that the only reason there wasn't serious damage is luck...however there will be some who say "See, I told you hitting a drone wouldn't cause any damage."
Well...the truth is painful isn't it? Let's assume what they are claiming is 100% true, although there are absolutely no facts in evidence to prove this, just the pilot's word. There was no damage, at least none that were of concern to the airline company.

What's really unfortunate is that we both know (heck we all know), that the threads will be FILLED with people who have been waiting for this type of scenario for years now, saying "see, I told you so, I knew it would happen and now a plane has crashed/is damaged etc etc etc. We'd never hear the end of it.

If it was a "drone" and they can track the owner down he should be arrested and held accountable to the full extent of the law.
Old 04-17-2016, 04:33 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by franklin_m
The fact that it happened in London and not the USA is proof FAA registration works!

Just kidding of course. Glad nobody was hurt... this time.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:47 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by TheEdge
Drone hit British Airways plane approaching Heathrow Airport

Probably a bird.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:27 AM
TheEdge
Banned
My Feedback: (788)

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Rather a Sporty statement.

Last edited by TheEdge; 04-18-2016 at 02:47 AM.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:38 AM
porcia83
Banned

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/dji-sells...042832962.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.