Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 02:59 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
What would that have actually accomplished?
About the same as being polite has, just with a bit more flavor. Since some in here don't see anyone but themselves as being right, it really doesn't matter, now does it?
Old 06-29-2016, 03:03 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
It doesn't take being a PIC to know about aviation but since you did ask. I personally don't have a pilots license. I do, however, have extensive training in aviation through the Navy as well as through civilian repair and maintenance facilities. At the moment, I get to watch new jets roll out of the factory every day. I've also had the pleasure of being involved in the repairing of aircraft damaged by bird strikes and replacing engines that had things as innocent as "Bic" pens sucked through them. A common modification on the 737s flying in Alaska is a "Vortex diffuser). Do any of you experts know what that one is and why it's needed?
That being said, I do have to keep up in what's going on in aviation as part of my present job. To not keep up with the what, how, why and when would have me out of a job very quickly. Knowing how a nose radome is constructed, for example, is something I have to be aware of even though someone walking onto a passenger jet wouldn't think twice about it. Then again, I don't hear any of the so called armchair experts claiming to have flown below 500ft AGL at 500+ knots, though I bet Franklin has. Then again, I guess it's a mute point as well since at least one person in this thread will ask for proof of doing so
At this point in time, which presents a more significant risk to the safety of manned aircraft, the one non-commercial sUAS incident Franklin has on record or the thousands of wildlife strikes the FAA has reported showing significant annual increases over many years?
Old 06-29-2016, 03:07 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

About the same as being polite has, just with a bit more flavor. Since some in here don't see anyone but themselves as being right, it really doesn't matter, now does it?
Old 06-29-2016, 03:11 PM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
At this point in time, which presents a more significant risk to the safety of manned aircraft, the one non-commercial sUAS incident Franklin has on record or the thousands of wildlife strikes the FAA has reported showing significant annual increases over many years?
Let me counter with a simple question:
How many more additional airline flights are added each year? Boeing and Airbus, combined, are selling planes in close to record numbers with no where close to that amount being retired. Many nesting areas are being destroyed to let man expand, forcing birds into closer proximity with man. More planes plus closer proximity equals more strikes.
Old 06-29-2016, 03:24 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

How many more additional airline flights are added each year? Boeing and Airbus, combined, are selling planes in close to record numbers with no where close to that amount being retired. Many nesting areas are being destroyed to let man expand, forcing birds into closer proximity with man. More planes plus closer proximity equals more strikes.
You can find all the FAA data regarding the wildlife strikes in the document on the FAA website. I've provided the link multiple times. Please note accordingly in your final answer.

Based on the information you provided, it appears wildlife will present an even greater danger in the future to manned aircraft than it has in past.
Old 06-29-2016, 03:35 PM
rcmiket

Interesting question.

Mike
Old 06-29-2016, 04:06 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcmiket

KEEP YOUR DRONE AWAY FROM WILDFIRES
There are lots of great places to fly your drones, but over or near a wildfire isn’t one of them. In fact, drone operators who interfere with wildfire suppression efforts are subject to civil penalties of up to $27,500 and possible criminal prosecution.
Here’s why it’s important: Aerial firefighting aircraft, such as airtankers and helicopters, fly at very low altitudes, just a couple hundred feet above the ground and in the same airspace as hobby and recreational drones. This creates the potential for a mid-air collision that could seriously injure or kill wildland firefighters in the air or on the ground.
As a result of unlawful drone operations near fires this year, fire managers have temporarily grounded all aerial firefighting aircraft on several occasions for safety reasons. Shutting down firefighting operations could cause wildfires to become larger and can threaten lives, property, and valuable natural and cultural resources.
The bottom line is “If You Fly, We Can’t."
Please fly responsibly – keep your drone away from wildfires.
STAY CONNECTED:

THANK GOD THEY SENT THIS I HAD NO IDEA........................................

Mike
Ya, and if they hadn't sent it I can see the complaint now...lack of communication on behalf of the FAA, and the AMA is to blame too, somehow.
Old 06-29-2016, 04:10 PM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by porcia83
Ya, and if they hadn't sent it I can see the complaint now...lack of communication on behalf of the FAA, and the AMA is to blame too, somehow.
And why would the AMA be to blame? The FAA has taken the lead on enforcing this one and, as we all know, AMA members would probably know better already. Not sure how this would be disseminated to those that are not AMA or registered with the FAA, the ones that would need to know about it the most
Old 06-29-2016, 04:21 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
I've been accused of that, but in fact I have no real problem with non-traditional aircraft, i.e. multirotors, in the hobby with the reasonable condition that they are operated under the same rules that are applied to traditional hobby aircraft. There should be no special rules crafted to accommodate them.
I do have a problem with the AMA's pursuit of the commercial sUAS market, whether involving traditional aircraft or not. It is clear that is where AMA is headed, for example in the Senate version of the FAA Re-authorization Bill. AMA favors it over the house version, as it includes a clause that would grant AMA (as the only qualifying non-profit CBO) monopoly concessions in conduct of sUAS operator training. It's highly unlikely the market for such training will come from the ranks of hobbyists. So yeah, having our hobby models lumped in with commercial unmanned aircraft by the organization that supposedly protects us from the regulatory process is change I won't accept quietly.
O/K, so what are you going to do about it, in a non quite way? Write letters, complain on RC sites, or get involved with the AMA? Any specific plan? It seems you might be privy to business plans the AMA hasn't shared with the rest of us, say again what the motivation would be for this NON PROFIT org to be a monopoly for anything? Wait, is it membership? Can't be that as many of the naysayers predicted nobody would join the AMA who flew quads (they were completely wrong, as usual). Is the AMA somehow being castigated here because they happen to be the only recognized CBO that can deal with this issue? 80 years of successful operation and now they are seemingly the bad guy for being the good guys, ironic. I must have missed the clause that specifically pointed out the AMA as the only qualifying non-profit CBO. But jeez ya know that reminds me, whatever happened to that super secret star chamber like invite only alternative to the AMA that one single member here was talking about a few months ago. I thought it was a load of hooey at the time, and am further convinced of this fact more so now. Nobody else was asked to join but this guy, who refused to give out any information on this exclusive club. Perhaps they could be another CBO. Wonder why "traditional" modeling companies (like PAU) didn't band together and form their own. All the effort they could muster went into a completely ineffective and horribly written complaint letter that went nowhere fast. What a shame.
Old 06-29-2016, 04:35 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
I do have a problem with the AMA's pursuit of the commercial sUAS market, whether involving traditional aircraft or not. It is clear that is where AMA is headed, for example in the Senate version of the FAA Re-authorization Bill. AMA favors it over the house version, as it includes a clause that would grant AMA (as the only qualifying non-profit CBO) monopoly concessions in conduct of sUAS operator training. It's highly unlikely the market for such training will come from the ranks of hobbyists. So yeah, having our hobby models lumped in with commercial unmanned aircraft by the organization that supposedly protects us from the regulatory process is change I won't accept quietly.
So you've determined the AMA's commercial pursuits based solely on the bill they support? How would their commercial pursuits you believe exist affect their tax exempt status?
Old 06-29-2016, 04:36 PM
porcia83
Banned

Does that include the self righteous "wanna be" experts like you as well?
Nice

Now that is ironic.....
And why would the AMA be to blame? The FAA has taken the lead on enforcing this one and, as we all know, AMA members would probably know better already. Not sure how this would be disseminated to those that are not AMA or registered with the FAA, the ones that would need to know about it the most

I presume that's a purely hypothetical question as you've been in these AMA threads for quite some time. Almost everything bad either real, perceieved, or predicted in the near (just around the corner) future almost always gets laid at the feet of the AMA. When it comes to communications specifically, the one who mocks the FAA press release does the same thing with the AMA press releases. Some people here expect absolute perfection in everything the AMA (or the FAA for that matter) does. It's a continual no win situation, a classic damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario.

As for your job, it must be cool to see those birds rolling off the assembly line.

You mean you can't figure that one out? If I was Franklin, I would have told several in this thread to KMA on more than one occasion. Enough said
Guess it wasn't enough.
Old 06-29-2016, 04:40 PM
porcia83
Banned

It doesn't take being a PIC to know about aviation but since you did ask. I personally don't have a pilots license. I do, however, have extensive training in aviation through the Navy as well as through civilian repair and maintenance facilities. At the moment, I get to watch new jets roll out of the factory every day. I've also had the pleasure of being involved in the repairing of aircraft damaged by bird strikes and replacing engines that had things as innocent as "Bic" pens sucked through them. A common modification on the 737s flying in Alaska is a "Vortex diffuser). Do any of you experts know what that one is and why it's needed?
That being said, I do have to keep up in what's going on in aviation as part of my present job. To not keep up with the what, how, why and when would have me out of a job very quickly. Knowing how a nose radome is constructed, for example, is something I have to be aware of even though someone walking onto a passenger jet wouldn't think twice about it. Then again, I don't hear any of the so called armchair experts claiming to have flown below 500ft AGL at 500+ knots, though I bet Franklin has. Then again, I guess it's a mute point as well since at least one person in this thread will ask for proof of doing so
I'm not an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express this past weekend.

A vortex diffuser is a part used to diffuse vortexes.

Did I win?
Old 06-29-2016, 06:02 PM
Hydro Junkie

I'm not an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express this past weekend.

A vortex diffuser is a part used to diffuse vortexes.

Did I win?
Nope, it takes more than 50% to get the answer right in this case
Old 06-29-2016, 06:05 PM
porcia83
Banned

LoL...I gave it a shot. I did actually have some of these custom made via 3D printer for a few of my planes.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:20 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

a "Vortex diffuser). Do any of you experts know what that one is and why it's needed?
Nothing New here ... The AGM28B Mound Dog (Look it Up on Wick) had one on in the lower lip of it's Inlet Spike of it's J-52 P3 Engine. It Used Blead air from the 5 or 6 stage compressor to blast a stream of hi sped comprested ait to breack up any vortes (Tornado) developed by the air rushing into the Jet Engines imlet from sucking up FOD. It was automatically turned on by the B-52's gear Squat switch if the engine was running on the ground.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:22 PM
Hydro Junkie

Now that is ironic.....

I presume that's a purely hypothetical question as you've been in these AMA threads for quite some time. Almost everything bad either real, perceieved, or predicted in the near (just around the corner) future almost always gets laid at the feet of the AMA. When it comes to communications specifically, the one who mocks the FAA press release does the same thing with the AMA press releases. Some people here expect absolute perfection in everything the AMA (or the FAA for that matter) does. It's a continual no win situation, a classic damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario.
No, it's not ironic. I'm not the one that has habitually attacked others for not seeing the AMA as the end all be all to model aviation for the past several months. I think it's pathetic that some have gone to the belittle, redirect and discredit tactics to make themselves look good at the expense of others. At the same time, I've not attacked the AMA because of what they have or haven't done because I figure the AMA is a very small organization as compared to some, that is unless you think my asking where their multi-million dollar yearly budget goes.

Nothing hypothetical about it. I asked a question based on a non-biased view of the situation. The FAA sent out a polite notice about quads in fire zones, okay I get that. The problem is how did they send it out and who did they send it to? The ones that really needed to see it are the ones that probably didn't get it so it's not the AMA or FAA at fault for lack of comunication, rather the failure to use normal media(i.e. over TV and radio station news broadcasts for starters) rather than attempting to use the internet. The FAA can be faulted for using poor measures to communicate but not failing to do so while the AMA is, in this case, an innocent bystander
Old 06-29-2016, 06:26 PM
HoundDog

Just because the FAA etc make UN-Needed useless rules that won't solve the problem of idiots flying Quads (Drones) where they aren't supposed to be flown. Not anymore than all the Gun laws kep people in Chicago from Killing over a dozen every weekend.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:34 PM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by HoundDog
a "Vortex diffuser). Do any of you experts know what that one is and why it's needed?
Nothing New here ... The AGM28B Mound Dog (Look it Up on Wick) had one on in the lower lip of it's Inlet Spike of it's J-52 P3 Engine. It Used Blead air from the 5 or 6 stage compressor to blast a stream of hi sped comprested ait to breack up any vortes (Tornado) developed by the air rushing into the Jet Engines imlet from sucking up FOD. It was automatically turned on by the B-52's gear Squat switch if the engine was running on the ground.
It was also used on the JT-8 engines used on the 737-100 and 200s in Alaska to prevent gravel and debris from being sucked into their fan blades. If the airlines are that worried about a small rock/pebble, do you think a quad is any less worrying for them, considering the cost of a turbine engine. I haven't checked yet but it wouldn't surprise me to see them on the CFM-56s used on the 300 through 900s now in service. Now, for a little more trivia, the 737 was never intended to fly off unimproved runways. The 727 was developed to do so which was why it had the three JT-8s mounted on the sides of the fuse and centerline in the tail. The plane turned out to be too heavy for many of it's planned runways so it was turned into the workhorse of many airlines passenger routes as well as being converted into a freighter flown for many years by UPS, DHL and USPS, just to name a few
Old 06-29-2016, 06:40 PM
Hydro Junkie

Just because the FAA etc make UN-Needed useless rules that won't solve the problem of idiots flying Quads (Drones) where they aren't supposed to be flown. Not anymore than all the Gun laws kep people in Chicago from Killing over a dozen every weekend.
Do you mind explaining to me how this response has any bearing on the post you quoted from me?
Old 06-29-2016, 06:43 PM
HoundDog

No, it's not ironic. I'm not the one that has habitually attacked others for not seeing the AMA as the end all be all to model aviation for the past several months. I think it's pathetic that some have gone to the belittle, redirect and discredit tactics to make themselves look good at the expense of others. At the same time, I've not attacked the AMA because of what they have or haven't done because I figure the AMA is a very small organization as compared to some, that is unless you think my asking where their multi-million dollar yearly budget goes.

Nothing hypothetical about it. I asked a question based on a non-biased view of the situation. The FAA sent out a polite notice about quads in fire zones, okay I get that. The problem is how did they send it out and who did they send it to? The ones that really needed to see it are the ones that probably didn't get it so it's not the AMA or FAA at fault for lack of comunication, rather the failure to use normal media(i.e. over TV and radio station news broadcasts for starters) rather than attempting to use the internet. The FAA can be faulted for using poor measures to communicate but not failing to do so while the AMA is, in this case, an innocent bystander
rather the failure to use normal media(i.e. over TV and radio station news broadcasts for starters

Got to say U got that one perfectly correct. If they can't Sensationalize a story it ain't a story.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:49 PM
Hydro Junkie

rather the failure to use normal media(i.e. over TV and radio station news broadcasts for starters

Got to say U got that one perfectly correct. If they can't Sensationalize a story it ain't a story.
How do you sensationalize something over the radio? On TV, no need to go crazy beyond stating that due to what happened in Ca, this was sent out by the FAA,then show a close up of the notice, read it out loud, call it good. Print it in all the local papers if you rather, I don't care. Internet dissemination isn't going to cut it in this case
Old 06-29-2016, 07:39 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

No, it's not ironic. I'm not the one that has habitually attacked others for not seeing the AMA as the end all be all to model aviation for the past several months.

I've never seen anyone say the AMA is the end all be all to model aviation. In fact, many are upset the AMA has embraced a new type of non-fixed wing aircraft in recent years.

I think it's pathetic that some have gone to the belittle, redirect and discredit tactics to make themselves look good at the expense of others.

Agreed, with the addition of name calling added to the list.

At the same time, I've not attacked the AMA because of what they have or haven't done because I figure the AMA is a very small organization as compared to some, that is unless you think my asking where their multi-million dollar yearly budget goes.

Nothing hypothetical about it. I asked a question based on a non-biased view of the situation. The FAA sent out a polite notice about quads in fire zones, okay I get that. The problem is how did they send it out and who did they send it to?

Why not take a few guess here? First email one of the fastest and least expensive forms of communication available today. I was not surprised I received mine via email. Secondly, the FAA has the email addresses for those who have registered via their website. Thus, now they know everyone who registered as a non-commercial sUAS pilot.

The ones that really needed to see it are the ones that probably didn't get it so it's not the AMA or FAA at fault for lack of comunication, rather the failure to use normal media(i.e. over TV and radio station news broadcasts for starters) rather than attempting to use the internet.

Have you priced the cost of public service announcements these days? The Internet works fine and is more than adequate. Besides who watches commercials anyways? I just fast forward right through them with my TiVo.

The FAA can be faulted for using poor measures to communicate but not failing to do so while the AMA is, in this case, an innocent bystander

Poor measures to communicate are in the eye of beholder. I'd much rather see them use email than any other form of communication.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:47 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

How do you sensationalize something over the radio? On TV, no need to go crazy beyond stating that due to what happened in Ca, this was sent out by the FAA,then show a close up of the notice, read it out loud, call it good. Print it in all the local papers if you rather, I don't care. Internet dissemination isn't going to cut it in this case
Why put and advertisement in newspapers for millions of people it doesn't apply to? Just because you don't agree with the fastest, most efficient, and least expensive form of direct communication doesn't mean it isn't the best overall solution available today.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:58 PM
Hydro Junkie

I never said PSA or commercials on TV, they are routinely used for bathroom and snack runs. Most watch the local news, for weather and /or sports reports so either lead that segment or put it in between. And, while I do agree that the internet is the cheapest way to go, it's not effective for those that are actually the problem. Those that the FAA can contact already know what's right and wrong so they are not the issue. The issue is those that don't show up on the FAA or AMA lists that fly because they don't think they will get caught. Put out a blanket announcement over the evening news for two or three days and then, if someone gets busted, it's on them and not the FAA.. I am not a proponent of email announcements due to the use of spam filters. Many times, I see an email get blocked or deleted as garbage, using regular media avoids that
Old 06-29-2016, 08:15 PM
Sport_Pilot

Recvently most of the sales are overseas. The airline industry is in a slump in this country.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.