Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 01:04 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by astrohog
Or maybe the individual who certified the aircraft should be at least partially responsible/accountable? Maybe the certification process should be reviewed?

Too many unknowns to make a determination with any certainty, but from what I saw, that structural failure/weakness should probably have been spotted as part of the airframe certification process.

Astro
Unless it was a design flaw.
Old 09-20-2016, 01:51 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by porcia83
Yes, I remember that issue being brought up.

But go figure, a candidate for president has been deeply involved in this specific activity, and may have even been the point of that discussion, you know, about lack of safety and compliance and most importantly an unwillingness to police themselves. When afforded an opportunity to question him on that issue that is so vitally important to you, an issue you've talked about for years now, you went with a question about magazine subscriptions. Kinetic energy, accidents involving burning flesh and trips to the ER, a lack of accountability for accidents, or questions about magazine subscriptions?

I didn't see the need, since his true feelings were adequately revealed by his quote
Old 09-20-2016, 02:11 PM
franklin_m

Or maybe the individual who certified the aircraft should be at least partially responsible/accountable? Maybe the certification process should be reviewed?

Too many unknowns to make a determination with any certainty, but from what I saw, that structural failure/weakness should probably have been spotted as part of the airframe certification process.

Astro
Agree with your comment about some accountability for the inspector / inspection process.

One would think that examining the design would be a part of evaluating a 1/2 scale aircraft. Otherwise, the inspector is doing nothing but look at externals --- hardly comprehensive --- and therefore questionable.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:20 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Unless it was a design flaw.
I would certainly hope that would be revealed in the inspection/certification process, no? Otherwise what good is it? I mean, someone officially deemed that airframe airworthy, right? It obviously wasn't.

Astro
Old 09-20-2016, 05:06 PM
TimJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well astrohog the P51 B&C model had a similar issue. People lost their lives because of this issue. How did that airframe make it to service was such a problem?
Old 09-20-2016, 05:21 PM
astrohog

Originally Posted by TimJ
Well astrohog the P51 B&C model had a similar issue. People lost their lives because of this issue. How did that airframe make it to service was such a problem?
Oh, geez! All I said was that the person who checked/certified this airframe, as well as the certification program should be looked at when something like this happens to assure it is still pertinent. I did not say there was something wrong with it, and I also mentioned that there are a good many facts that we do not know by watching a 2:00 video clip.

To answer your ridiculous question about an aircraft that was considered cutting-edge technology in the 1940's, a time when aviation was still really in its infancy and we still had a lot to learn about aviation/aerodynamics/engineering: Somebody made a mistake? (yes, sometimes it happens!)

Regards,

Astro
Old 09-20-2016, 07:35 PM
Flight Risk

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I notice the caption says 100kg (220lbs). it wasn't exactly built light. Or maybe it was. It also flies slower than most smaller jets.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:14 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by Flight Risk
I notice the caption says 100kg (220lbs). it wasn't exactly built light. Or maybe it was. It also flies slower than most smaller jets.
More likely it flies at about the same speed or slightly faster. A bigger plane looks like it is flying slower when at the same speed.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:27 AM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

little more in depth video on modelairplanenews.com
looks like it made similar maneuvers ok earlier in the flight.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:19 AM
rcmiket

From the parks website.

Fireworks, Model Rockets, Drones, Etc.

The air space above White Sands National Monument is shared with our military neighbors. As such, fireworks, model rockets, drones, and other such items are not allowed within the park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTH1__eKhhE

Here's one our locals and then we wonder why we have issues with the Feds.

Mike.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:06 AM
franklin_m

First, cite source for the Mustang vertical stab failure problem in the B/C model. I cannot find a reference to anything but a directional stability problem when the bubble canopy was added (D and beyond).

Second, even assuming it's true. As to how it made it into production - I'm going to go out on a limb and say it had something to do with the fact that WE WERE AT WAR.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:46 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Oh, geez! All I said was that the person who checked/certified this airframe, as well as the certification program should be looked at when something like this happens to assure it is still pertinent. I did not say there was something wrong with it, and I also mentioned that there are a good many facts that we do not know by watching a 2:00 video clip.

To answer your ridiculous question about an aircraft that was considered cutting-edge technology in the 1940's, a time when aviation was still really in its infancy and we still had a lot to learn about aviation/aerodynamics/engineering: Somebody made a mistake? (yes, sometimes it happens!)

Regards,

Astro
Speaking of mistakes of all kinds from crowd to close , bad modifications to flying faster than the air frame was intended for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12LEHIFAJWI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MyhveHS8HU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGInPHqLN4s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyWUTXuXjr0

Last edited by HoundDog; 09-21-2016 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-21-2016, 03:59 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

+1 You are correct. Modifications have to be inspected and passed by the FAA and NTSB.
Old 09-22-2016, 03:44 PM
HoundDog

[h=1]Remote Pilot eKit[/h]
http://www.asa2fly.com/Remote-Pilot-eKit-P3617.aspx?mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiTkdNMllqbGxZek14T0dZeiI sInQiOiJVc2REYkh2VzhwdzA1NGxUbnpLcWtVbDFaeVU0bUpOU jhpV0lsdjZ6dld6NDB2REF0M1l1Vjk2RktHTjZtOXJcLzhEM0p BUCthTDFSTDBWUEJlcVVld09Kamg5dkZBMEwyYWZOWkNPa2JpY U09In0%3D
Old 09-30-2016, 04:04 AM
HoundDog

[h=1]UAV activity disrupts Dubai Airport operations[/h]Flight operations from Dubai International Airport were disrupted for nearly an hour Sept. 28 because of unauthorized unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), or drone, activity.
Airspace around the airport was closed from 0808 to 0835. Arrivals resumed at 0835 and restricted departures were allowed at 0840, before the airport returned to full operations at 0907.
Dubai International said the incident triggered a number of delays. This is not the first time the airport’s operations have been disrupted by UAV activity.
“Safety is our top priority and Dubai Airports reminds all UAV operators that any and all activities are not permitted unless authorized by regulatory authorities and are strictly prohibited in restricted areas, including within five kilometers of any airport or landing area,” the airports operator said.
United Arab Emirates (UAE) state Abu Dhabi has banned drone sales to the public because of the potential threat they pose to civil aviation.
Aviation authorities and pilots in several countries have expressed concern about the potential for collisions between UAVs and commercial aircraft, particularly during takeoff and landing.
Many states are working on new drone laws to protect safe operations.
Victoria Moores [email protected]
Old 09-30-2016, 06:46 AM
TimJ

Good thing it did not happen here.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:58 AM
rcmiket

Good thing it did not happen here.
No joke. I was just thinking the other day how quiet it's been along those lines over the last few months.

Mike
Old 10-02-2016, 06:47 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by rcmiket
No joke. I was just thinking the other day how quiet it's been along those lines over the last few months.

Mike
That's because there really wasn't much to talk about to begin with...and the media has moved on the latest and greatest. Funny how all the fury was coming before the rules/regs were worked out...probably had nothing to do with the pilots unions pushing their agenda, or the media looking for an angle, or anything like that. Meanwhile...the hobby continues.
Old 10-06-2016, 04:08 PM
HoundDog

Today at 2:49 PM

[TABLE="width: 700, align: center"]
[TR]
[TD]
DO NOT FLY NEAR HURRICANE RESPONSE EFFORTS
As a result of Hurricane Matthew, there will likely be significant recovery efforts and the FAA may issue flight restrictions in the vicinity of disaster areas. During response operations to Hurricane Matthew, authorized aircraft may be flying at very low altitudes over affected areas.

Unauthorized UAS or drone operations may prevent other aircraft from performing life-saving missions and increase the risk of mid-air collision. Anyone, including hobbyist or recreational fliers, who interferes with disaster response efforts is subject to civil penalties of up to $32,140 per violation and possible criminal prosecution.

Unmanned aircraft system (UAS) or drone operators are responsible for checking applicable flight restrictions before operating and must not interfere with any aircraft assisting in hurricane disaster response operations, regardless if there is a flight restriction in place or not.

Drone operators may obtain information about posted flight restrictions by using the FAA’s B4UFLY mobile app or by checking the FAA’s website: https://pilotweb.nas.faa.gov/PilotWeb/.

UAS or drone operators supporting disaster response operations must be approved by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) prior to operating. Operators may seek approval by following these steps:
  1. The operator must secure support from a governmental entity, and the operation must directly contribute to the response, relief, or recovery effort.
  2. After completing step 1, the operator must contact the FAA’s Systems Operations Support Center (SOSC) at 202-267-8276for assistance.
  3. After calling the SOSC, the operator must also send the request via email to [email protected].

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Old 10-06-2016, 05:57 PM
porcia83
Banned

Odd, one member here gives the FAA a big old -1 for this warning, and the other goes on to talk about the "morons" who created this mess. Go figure.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:24 PM
astrohog

Odd, one member here gives the FAA a big old -1 for this warning,
UMMM.....no he didn't. Are you contextually challenged or just spinning? The member you are referring to simply stated that he almost deleted the warning as spam because the subject line said something about registration update NOT that it was a warning or NOTAM. Nowhere did he say anything negative about the warning itself.

Astro
Old 10-06-2016, 07:36 PM
porcia83
Banned

Default Anti spin in full effect

Guess I read that differently, my bad.

FAA-1.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 10-06-2016, 07:39 PM
astrohog

Guess I read that differently, my bad.

FAA-1.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Seems you are having a lot of issues with the reading comprehension thing lately. Is that just your tunnelvisionrosecolored glasses, or something else?

Astro
Old 10-07-2016, 03:34 AM
porcia83
Banned

Seems you are having a lot of issues with the reading comprehension thing lately. Is that just your tunnelvisionrosecolored glasses, or something else?

Astro
I suspect no answer would be sufficient, so I'll leave it to your in depth analysis. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 10-07-2016, 03:49 AM
rcmiket

I feel very fortunate that I'm intelligent enough that I did not need a "warning" from the FAA about not being stupid.
Too those who actually do need this kinda "warning" please don't stay in the hobby.

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.