Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 04:12 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
I suspect no answer would be sufficient, so I'll leave it to your in depth analysis. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Well nobody else read that statement in the way you did, so.........is that in-depth enough for you?

Astro
Old 10-07-2016, 04:32 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcmiket
I feel very fortunate that I'm intelligent enough that I did not need a "warning" from the FAA about not being stupid.
Too those who actually do need this kinda "warning" please don't stay in the hobby.

Mike
+1! But keep in mind the message also goes out to folks who are not in the hobby as well, and ya it's too bad they need to be reminded of it.
Originally Posted by astrohog
Well nobody else read that statement in the way you did, so.........is that in-depth enough for you?

Astro
Sure, works perfectly!
Old 10-07-2016, 08:43 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by astrohog
UMMM.....no he didn't. Are you contextually challenged or just spinning? The member you are referring to simply stated that he almost deleted the warning as spam because the subject line said something about registration update NOT that it was a warning or NOTAM. Nowhere did he say anything negative about the warning itself.

Astro
Yep , Exactly , the warning itself was fine with me , the heading it came under , as a "UAS Registration Update" however , almost DID get it deleted as spam/scam . Remember shortly after the FAA began registrations that a phony site was set up and people lost money thinking they were on the FAA's site but it was a scam site instead ? After reading about things like that I don't trust much that gets sent these days , and so if it's an actual FAA communication I fully expect the Email title will reflect the actual contents of the Email and not some vague "registration" reference . You got the thread's point as I'm guessing the greater majority of the folks who read it did , but then again those folks weren't looking for a way to spin it so that I looked like I was complaining about the warning itself , which most certainly I was not , my only problem with it being the wrong message title being used . I do find my RCU experience to have become exponentially better by just ignoring those kinds of posts that deliberately try to spin my words to bait a fight , it's funny that he just don't get it , I'm no longer playing his "bait & fight" game , and so instead I just go on responding to those of you who I believe are here to talk about RC models VS those looking to start a fight by twisting Folk's words .

Last edited by init4fun; 10-07-2016 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-08-2016, 04:05 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by init4fun
Yep , Exactly , the warning itself was fine with me , the heading it came under , as a "UAS Registration Update" however , almost DID get it deleted as spam/scam . Remember shortly after the FAA began registrations that a phony site was set up and people lost money thinking they were on the FAA's site but it was a scam site instead ? After reading about things like that I don't trust much that gets sent these days , and so if it's an actual FAA communication I fully expect the Email title will reflect the actual contents of the Email and not some vague "registration" reference . You got the thread's point as I'm guessing the greater majority of the folks who read it did , but then again those folks weren't looking for a way to spin it so that I looked like I was complaining about the warning itself , which most certainly I was not , my only problem with it being the wrong message title being used . I do find my RCU experience to have become exponentially better by just ignoring those kinds of posts that deliberately try to spin my words to bait a fight , it's funny that he just don't get it , I'm no longer playing his "bait & fight" game , and so instead I just go on responding to those of you who I believe are here to talk about RC models VS those looking to start a fight by twisting Folk's words .
Oddly enough, I don't think anyone else had an issue with the FAA e-mail header and e-mail, they saw it for what it was, a warning. I'd venture a guess that 99.99% of us read it, then hit delete. The "spam" issue was just another angle to start a conversation, perhaps a poll is in order to see how many people almost deleted it as SPAM? No argument, just a different point of view.
Old 10-08-2016, 04:41 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"UAS Registration Update"

That was poorly worded and could have been done better.

Mike
Old 10-08-2016, 08:16 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

"UAS Registration Update"

That was poorly worded and could have been done better.

Mike
Yep , pretty much .

I know I'm supposed to be the bad guy for failing to see how a warning to stay out of a disaster area comes under the heading of a "UAS Registration Update" , but , seeing how there only seems to be one who thinks it's a great title and that I'm just being mean picking on the poor misunderstood FAA , and considering who that one is , I don't think I'll be loosin any sleep over his obvious angst with the fact that I found the Email title in error .
Old 10-08-2016, 12:47 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

[h=5][/h][h=1]11 Mind-Blowing Facts About The Drone Industry[/h][h=2]These eleven facts will give you a quick understanding of the growing unmanned aerial vehicle market.[/h]
Leo Sun
(TMFSunLion)

Jun 23, 2016 at 2:24PM

Drones have often been seen as automated weapons of war. But in recent years, hobbyists started buying smaller consumer drones for aerial photography, while companies used them to enhance or automate work processes. Here are eleven quick facts about this growing industry.

IMAGE SOURCE: GETTY IMAGES.
1. The global drone market could be worth $127 billion by 2020, up from just $2 billion today, according to consulting firm PWC. In addition to defense, delivery, or aerial photography, the firm believes that drones will soon be used for verifying business claims, boosting crop yields, and creating special effects for Hollywood blockbusters.
2. 7 million consumer and commercial drones could be shipped in the U.S. by 2020, compared to just 2.5 million in 2016, according to new FAA estimates. During that period, sales of small hobbyist drones are expected to rise from 1.9 million to 4.3 million, while sales of commercial drones could rise from 600,000 to 2.7 million.

3. The U.S. is currently the world's largest drone market. Research firm KPCB's 2014 figures show that the U.S. controlled 35% of the drone market, compared to 30% for Europe, 15% for China, and 20% for the rest of the world.
4. But 3 million drones could be flying in China by 2019, compared to just 390,000 shipments this year, according to IDC's forecasts. That's good news for drone companies like Shenzhen-based DJI Innovations, the biggest drone maker in the world.
5. DJI Innovations is already worth $8 billion following its last round of funding last May. DJI hasn't disclosed how much revenue it generated in 2015, but it previously estimated that sales would double to $1 billion for the year. Its next round of funding could boost its valuation past $10 billion.
6. Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) is one of DJI's biggest supporters. The tech giant recently gave DJI's new Phantom 4 drone "feature bay" displays, which were previously reserved for its own products, at over 400 of its brick-and-mortar stores. That's bad news for GoPro (NASDAQ:GPRO), which plans to release its first drone this holiday season to offset waning demand for its action cameras.
7. 4K drones now cost less than stand-alone action cameras. The cost of high-end drones is falling quickly, thanks to cheaper components and intense competition. Chinese tech giant Xiaomi recently unveiled a 4K drone that costs just $460 -- $40 less than GoPro's 4K-capable Hero 4 Black camera.

XIAOMI'S MI DRONE. IMAGE SOURCE: XIAOMI.
8. However, filling the skies with cheaper drones can be hazardous to passenger aircraft. 327 incidents of drones flying too closely to piloted aircraft occurred between Dec. 2013 and Sept. 2015 according to a study conducted by a research group at Bard College. That's why the FAA now requires customers to register their drones.
9. Over 325,000 people registered their drones between last December and early February according to the FAA. However, that represents less than a third of the one million drones that the agency believes were sold last holiday season. If drone owners continue ignoring FAA regulations, stricter rules might be introduced and enforced.
10. DHL used drones for 130 deliveries in the first three months of 2016. The company has been using drones to ferry packages between two small villages in the Swiss Alps. DHL's Parcelcopter drones can travel up to 45 miles per hour and carry up to 4.5 pounds. That successful test bodes well forAmazon's (NASDAQ:AMZN) goal of automating its deliveries with Prime Air.
11. $1.9 billion in venture capital has been invested in drone-related start-ups according to AngelList. The average valuation of these start-ups is $5.3 million, and the three most followed start-ups are commercial logistics firm Skycatch, cloud-based drone mapping and analytics firm DroneDeploy, and smart drone maker Matternet, in that order.
[h=2]The key takeaway[/h]Drones look like they'll be a bigger part of our lives in the near future, but investors should note that these forecasts aren't always accurate. Tighter regulations could throttle sales of drones, and mainstream consumers might not be that enthusiastic about the flying devices. Therefore, investors should recognize the companies which will be lifted by rising demand for drones, but also beware of blindly following market expectations.
10 stocks we like better than Apple
When investing geniuses David and Tom Gardner have a stock tip, it can pay to listen. After all, the newsletter they have run for over a decade, Motley Fool Stock Advisor, has tripled the market.*
David and Tom just revealed what they believe are the ten best stocks for investors to buy right now… and Apple wasn't one of them! That's right -- they think these 10 stocks are even better buys.

Old 10-08-2016, 12:59 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by HoundDog

11 Mind-Blowing Facts About The Drone Industry

These eleven facts will give you a quick understanding of the growing unmanned aerial vehicle market.

Leo Sun
(TMFSunLion)

Jun 23, 2016 at 2:24PM

Drones have often been seen as automated weapons of war. But in recent years, hobbyists started buying smaller consumer drones for aerial photography, while companies used them to enhance or automate work processes. Here are eleven quick facts about this growing industry.

IMAGE SOURCE: GETTY IMAGES.
1. The global drone market could be worth $127 billion by 2020, up from just $2 billion today, according to consulting firm PWC. In addition to defense, delivery, or aerial photography, the firm believes that drones will soon be used for verifying business claims, boosting crop yields, and creating special effects for Hollywood blockbusters.
2. 7 million consumer and commercial drones could be shipped in the U.S. by 2020, compared to just 2.5 million in 2016, according to new FAA estimates. During that period, sales of small hobbyist drones are expected to rise from 1.9 million to 4.3 million, while sales of commercial drones could rise from 600,000 to 2.7 million.

3. The U.S. is currently the world's largest drone market. Research firm KPCB's 2014 figures show that the U.S. controlled 35% of the drone market, compared to 30% for Europe, 15% for China, and 20% for the rest of the world.
4. But 3 million drones could be flying in China by 2019, compared to just 390,000 shipments this year, according to IDC's forecasts. That's good news for drone companies like Shenzhen-based DJI Innovations, the biggest drone maker in the world.
5. DJI Innovations is already worth $8 billion following its last round of funding last May. DJI hasn't disclosed how much revenue it generated in 2015, but it previously estimated that sales would double to $1 billion for the year. Its next round of funding could boost its valuation past $10 billion.
6. Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) is one of DJI's biggest supporters. The tech giant recently gave DJI's new Phantom 4 drone "feature bay" displays, which were previously reserved for its own products, at over 400 of its brick-and-mortar stores. That's bad news for GoPro (NASDAQ:GPRO), which plans to release its first drone this holiday season to offset waning demand for its action cameras.
7. 4K drones now cost less than stand-alone action cameras. The cost of high-end drones is falling quickly, thanks to cheaper components and intense competition. Chinese tech giant Xiaomi recently unveiled a 4K drone that costs just $460 -- $40 less than GoPro's 4K-capable Hero 4 Black camera.

XIAOMI'S MI DRONE. IMAGE SOURCE: XIAOMI.
8. However, filling the skies with cheaper drones can be hazardous to passenger aircraft. 327 incidents of drones flying too closely to piloted aircraft occurred between Dec. 2013 and Sept. 2015 according to a study conducted by a research group at Bard College. That's why the FAA now requires customers to register their drones.
9. Over 325,000 people registered their drones between last December and early February according to the FAA. However, that represents less than a third of the one million drones that the agency believes were sold last holiday season. If drone owners continue ignoring FAA regulations, stricter rules might be introduced and enforced.
10. DHL used drones for 130 deliveries in the first three months of 2016. The company has been using drones to ferry packages between two small villages in the Swiss Alps. DHL's Parcelcopter drones can travel up to 45 miles per hour and carry up to 4.5 pounds. That successful test bodes well forAmazon's (NASDAQ:AMZN) goal of automating its deliveries with Prime Air.
11. $1.9 billion in venture capital has been invested in drone-related start-ups according to AngelList. The average valuation of these start-ups is $5.3 million, and the three most followed start-ups are commercial logistics firm Skycatch, cloud-based drone mapping and analytics firm DroneDeploy, and smart drone maker Matternet, in that order.
The key takeaway

Drones look like they'll be a bigger part of our lives in the near future, but investors should note that these forecasts aren't always accurate. Tighter regulations could throttle sales of drones, and mainstream consumers might not be that enthusiastic about the flying devices. Therefore, investors should recognize the companies which will be lifted by rising demand for drones, but also beware of blindly following market expectations.
10 stocks we like better than Apple
When investing geniuses David and Tom Gardner have a stock tip, it can pay to listen. After all, the newsletter they have run for over a decade, Motley Fool Stock Advisor, has tripled the market.*
David and Tom just revealed what they believe are the ten best stocks for investors to buy right now… and Apple wasn't one of them! That's right -- they think these 10 stocks are even better buys.

Pretty amazing isn't it? Seems with numbers like that the AMA would have over a 1/2 to 3/4 million members.Wonder what CBO they all joined?

Mike
Old 10-08-2016, 01:42 PM
HoundDog

Hey Mikey Going through El Paso early this next week U gona be out to the field. Like to see it this time Thru.
Old 10-08-2016, 01:48 PM
rcmiket

Normally I'm free Thursday thru Sunday. I'm still working Monday thru Wednesday.

Mike
Old 10-08-2016, 04:09 PM
HoundDog

Normally I'm free Thursday thru Sunday. I'm still working Monday thru Wednesday.

Mike
Probably ain't gona work then But U never know.
I have an app that works wth Google maps and shows all the R/C fields in the country. Think I'll try to stop at a few. Air craft Museums too. Have an Awesome day

Last edited by HoundDog; 10-08-2016 at 04:11 PM.
Old 10-09-2016, 03:08 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Probably ain't gona work then But U never know.
I have an app that works wth Google maps and shows all the R/C fields in the country. Think I'll try to stop at a few. Air craft Museums too. Have an Awesome day
War Eagles Museum on the far west side of town in Santa Teresa.

http://www.war-eagles-air-museum.com/

Mike.
Old 10-09-2016, 03:21 AM
HoundDog

War Eagles Museum on the far west side of town in Santa Teresa.

http://www.war-eagles-air-museum.com/

Mike.
Thanks Mike any Air Museum with planes is my cup of tea. Been there "DUN" that one twice ... Great Place, I have "The Guide of over 900 aircraft Museums 27th edition" Greatest resource in the USA. I also found an APP that shows on a google map the location website etc of all most every R/C Flying field in the USA. Gona hit a few on my way to Apache Junction this week. May even get to the one U showed me last April.
"Have an Awesome day. Remember WORK is a dirty 4 letter word. Just might catch ya there, Who Knows.

P.S.anyone know some one that needs a FREE ride from MKE to PHX or points in between. Male preferred but a quiet girl is OK too.

Last edited by HoundDog; 10-09-2016 at 03:23 AM.
Old 10-10-2016, 03:28 AM
porcia83
Banned

Pretty amazing isn't it? Seems with numbers like that the AMA would have over a 1/2 to 3/4 million members.Wonder what CBO they all joined?

Mike
Ownership of a quad doesn't automatically mean membership with a CBO is a sure thing. Just as buying an airplane at a hobby shop doesn't mean the pilot will join the AMA or a club. But we do know for certain that the AMA membership has increased (5th year in a row), and MR pilots are part of that rise. Even a candidate running for the AMA office on an anti-MR platform has confirmed about 10% of the membership note MR as their primary interest. That's about 19,000 people. Folks can dispute those numbers are deny all the want, but they are there.
Old 10-10-2016, 03:29 AM
porcia83
Banned

Another one of those irresponsible drone pilots giving the hobby a bad name.

http://<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kNT-jaifneI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-10-2016, 04:09 AM
rcmiket

http://www.droningon.co/2016/10/09/d...casey-neistat/

Check this idiot out. The real scary part is the number of views this guy gets on YouTube.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 10-10-2016 at 04:11 AM.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:09 AM
porcia83
Banned

Which is why he us doing it.... views...which in most cases now equals money, as in pay per click....which he might get more of now, despite being called an idiot.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:31 AM
franklin_m

Ownership of a quad doesn't automatically mean membership with a CBO is a sure thing. Just as buying an airplane at a hobby shop doesn't mean the pilot will join the AMA or a club. But we do know for certain that the AMA membership has increased (5th year in a row), and MR pilots are part of that rise. Even a candidate running for the AMA office on an anti-MR platform has confirmed about 10% of the membership note MR as their primary interest. That's about 19,000 people. Folks can dispute those numbers are deny all the want, but they are there.
His full quote included this statement:T

"Most of the current MRM and FPV pilots that are AMA members are traditional modelers who have expanded into these areas not new recruits to our fold
[emphasis added]."
Old 10-10-2016, 10:09 AM
N410DC

http://www.droningon.co/2016/10/09/d...casey-neistat/

Check this idiot out. The real scary part is the number of views this guy gets on YouTube.

Mike
Since he is making $30,000 plus per month flying drones, the FAA may decide that he is a commercial sUAV operator. Perhaps the FAA should look into his actions, and his sAUV pilot qualifications (or lack thereof.,)

Last edited by N410DC; 10-10-2016 at 10:12 AM.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:36 AM
Sport_Pilot

Yeaah! Electrics are ruining the hobby!
Old 10-10-2016, 11:58 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by N410DC
Since he is making $30,000 plus per month flying drones, the FAA may decide that he is a commercial sUAV operator. Perhaps the FAA should look into his actions, and his sAUV pilot qualifications (or lack thereof.,)
His income appears to be derived from clicks on his site and from people reviewing content, the flying of drones is secondary from that. I doubt the FAA or anyone else would go after him for the money aspect, rather his reckless disregard for safety. It's the same thing that brought attention to Pirker, a double edged sword. They want the clicks and attention for their site, but in doing so invite the very same viewership that may result in trouble for them. There was a photography group in Chicago that did the same thing, advertised their services and showed off videos and pictures. $1.9 million in fines later......last I knew the matter was still pending. Either way, it's not cheap for the company to either pay a fine, or pay attorneys to defend them.

https://www.faa.gov/news/press_relea...m?newsId=19555

Not sure that people or websites vilifying the guy are going to make much of a difference though, in fact they may end up bringing more traffic and revenue to the guy. That 30-40k in monthly income will come in handy for fines/legal fees.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:59 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by sport_pilot
yeaah! Electrics are ruining the hobby!
lol
Old 10-10-2016, 12:16 PM
N410DC

His income appears to be derived from clicks on his site and from people reviewing content, the flying of drones is secondary from that. I doubt the FAA or anyone else would go after him for the money aspect, rather his reckless disregard for safety. It's the same thing that brought attention to Pirker, a double edged sword. They want the clicks and attention for their site, but in doing so invite the very same viewership that may result in trouble for them. There was a photography group in Chicago that did the same thing, advertised their services and showed off videos and pictures. $1.9 million in fines later......last I knew the matter was still pending. Either way, it's not cheap for the company to either pay a fine, or pay attorneys to defend them.

https://www.faa.gov/news/press_relea...m?newsId=19555

Not sure that people or websites vilifying the guy are going to make much of a difference though, in fact they may end up bringing more traffic and revenue to the guy. That 30-40k in monthly income will come in handy for fines/legal fees.
Good points. It would not be an iron-clad case, but the FAA might just get pissed enough to try to make an example of him.
Old 10-10-2016, 12:44 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by franklin_m
His full quote included this statement:T

"Most of the current MRM and FPV pilots that are AMA members are traditional modelers who have expanded into these areas not new recruits to our fold
[emphasis added]."
Not actually his full quote, but here is the paragraph where the line came from.

MRM’s are not inherently bad. The problem is that they require little skill to fly. Novices with no modeling experience can and do fly them. Since an MRM pilot doesn’t need flight instruction and they can be flown from a small area there is no incentive to join a local club or the AMA. This is reflected in our membership numbers. Less than 10% of our members list MRM or First Person View (FPV) as their interest. Most of the current MRM and FPV pilots that are AMA members are traditional modelers who have expanded into these areas not new recruits to our fold.

I don't think this man has ever touched a MR, let alone flown them. For that matter, I doubt he's even seen them fly. That's the only think I can think of reading that statement that so absent reality. (a MRM pilot doesn't need flight instruction, so easy to fly, etc etc). and they are flown in a small area so no incentive to join a club. Ugh. This is the same guy that talks about flying every week unlike the other candidates (as if he knows what they do),. I'd love to see him try to fly a MR racer, FPV or not. The chances he could do it are slim and none. Perhaps me meant something like a DJI Phantom. If so, he should have been more clear, otherwise it looks like he doesn't understand the difference between the two. Running the AMA, it might be something to get familiar with.

As for the stats, his comments are again confusing, perhaps intentionally so. He seems to want it both ways. Demagogue one group, but then confirm that part of that group are also "traditional" modelers. In that regard, he is correct. That's something I've seen first hand at multiple clubs. Guys who fly both. Either way, it's good that they are members of the AMA, good that there will be more of them, and even better that there is nothing anyone can do to turn back time and eliminate them from the fold. Not one of the folks running has even bothered to be specific about those plans, for obvious reason, there is no plan, and no way to make it happen.

*** As I went back to look at Tougas's campaign statement I couldn't help but notice all the different clubs he's been heading out to lately, I'm sure it has nothing to do with the election coming up, lol. I think it's great that he's out and about of course, but can't help but wonder if he's utilizing his AMA expense account to do so. I wouldn't have a problem if he was doing this in his own district, but some of his trips have been well outside his district. Hmm.

Last edited by porcia83; 10-10-2016 at 01:10 PM.
Old 10-10-2016, 12:52 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by N410DC
Good points. It would not be an iron-clad case, but the FAA might just get pissed enough to try to make an example of him.
Yup, just like they did Pirker. In that case, they did ultimately collect a fine from him so they could call it a "victory", If he didn't have free counsel (who's bill was likely in excess of 100,000) he would have caved like a house of cards and paid their fine. FAA has plenty of attorneys to keep busy, lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.