Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 09:33 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porcia83
http://www.geekwire.com/2016/alexa-d...trolled-voice/

An interesting use of drone technology. Even more interesting is who filed for a patent on it...probably the biggest "commercial" player, Amazon! They are often times very much ahead of the game from a technology standpoint.
This isn't on topic. Topic is drone pilots doing stupid stuff. Not jet pilots doing stupid stuff, nor smart new drone tech.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:39 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Hmm...I'll try again. Don't know if I'm not in compliance since he wasn't technically piloting the drone when he took off a chunk of his finger, close enough?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...red-drone.html
Old 10-19-2016, 04:33 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

For some members that had seem a comment I made to Porcia in this thread is now missing. In his reply Porcia asked that I could have dealt with that issue by PM. I am going to honor his request and deal with that issue by PM and not play it out here in the open forum as it not the place for it. I do apologize to the rest of the thread.

thanks

Ken
Old 10-19-2016, 06:37 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

" ‘What difference, at this point, does it make?'
Old 10-20-2016, 03:36 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
" ‘What difference, at this point, does it make?'
Apparently it does to some. I missed the whole exchange. Probably for the best.

Mike
Old 10-20-2016, 04:10 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Apparently it does to some. I missed the whole exchange. Probably for the best.

Mike
It's a reference to "old habits are hard to break", "can't teach an old dog new tricks", etc,etc.. It's like 2014 revisited at the other place!
Old 10-20-2016, 04:12 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
It's a reference to "old habits are hard to break", "can't teach an old dog new tricks", etc,etc.. It's like 2014 revisited at the other place!
Thanks. I was having a hard time with that one.
Maybe I was trying to hard..................................

Mike
Old 10-20-2016, 06:56 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda

And this off topic post is actually a very good example of that!
Old 10-20-2016, 09:16 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
And this off topic post is actually a very good example of that!
Just trying to answer the mans question.....................but you knew that already !
Feel free to delete if it ooooooooooooooooooofends anyone.
Back to the menacing "drones" discussion.
Carry on !
Old 10-21-2016, 09:07 AM
HoundDog

[h=1]Oct. 13, 2016
MEDIA ADVISORY M16-120
Media Invited to First Test of Multiple Drones Flying Beyond Line-of-Sight[/h]

Drone Co-habitation Services operates a Phantom 3 commercial multi-rotor unmanned aircraft, one of 11 vehicles in the UTM TCL2 demonstration that will fly beyond line of sight of the pilot in command in Nevada test.
Credits: NASA/Dominic Hart

Media are invited to watch the first test of NASA’s Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Traffic Management (UTM) research platform from noon to 2:30 p.m. EDT Wednesday, Oct. 19, at Reno-Stead Airport in Reno, Nevada.
During this test, five drones will fly beyond the line-of-sight of their operators in order to test the planning, tracking and alerting capabilities of NASA’s UTM platform -- a critical step in the development of the technology and procedures for the safe management of drone air traffic. From this test, NASA, in collaboration with the Federal Aviation Administration, will collect data critical to refining its UTM research.
To attend this event, media must contact Sharon Lozano at [email protected] by 8 p.m. Monday, Oct. 17, and arrive by 11:30 a.m. Wednesday at the Nevada Unmanned, Autonomous & NextGen Collaborative Environment (NUANCE) Lab. The NUANCE Lab is located at 4895 Texas Ave.
Media viewing the test from NUANCE will be able to watch the drone flight paths on large video displays, in a 3-D virtual environment. NASA engineers will be on hand to describe what is happening during the test. Information booths and test drones will be set up to provide more information, and experts will be available for interviews.
For background information about this test, visit:
For more information about NASA aeronautics, visit:
Old 10-21-2016, 09:07 AM
HoundDog

[h=1]Oct. 13, 2016
MEDIA ADVISORY M16-120
Media Invited to First Test of Multiple Drones Flying Beyond Line-of-Sight[/h]

Drone Co-habitation Services operates a Phantom 3 commercial multi-rotor unmanned aircraft, one of 11 vehicles in the UTM TCL2 demonstration that will fly beyond line of sight of the pilot in command in Nevada test.
Credits: NASA/Dominic Hart

Media are invited to watch the first test of NASA’s Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Traffic Management (UTM) research platform from noon to 2:30 p.m. EDT Wednesday, Oct. 19, at Reno-Stead Airport in Reno, Nevada.
During this test, five drones will fly beyond the line-of-sight of their operators in order to test the planning, tracking and alerting capabilities of NASA’s UTM platform -- a critical step in the development of the technology and procedures for the safe management of drone air traffic. From this test, NASA, in collaboration with the Federal Aviation Administration, will collect data critical to refining its UTM research.
To attend this event, media must contact Sharon Lozano at [email protected] by 8 p.m. Monday, Oct. 17, and arrive by 11:30 a.m. Wednesday at the Nevada Unmanned, Autonomous & NextGen Collaborative Environment (NUANCE) Lab. The NUANCE Lab is located at 4895 Texas Ave.
Media viewing the test from NUANCE will be able to watch the drone flight paths on large video displays, in a 3-D virtual environment. NASA engineers will be on hand to describe what is happening during the test. Information booths and test drones will be set up to provide more information, and experts will be available for interviews.
For background information about this test, visit:
For more information about NASA aeronautics, visit:
Old 10-21-2016, 09:08 AM
HoundDog

NASA Ames

Oct. 19, 2016

[h=1]NASA Conducts ‘Out of Sight’ Drone Tests in Nevada[/h]

Credits: NASA Ames / Dominic Hart

Blazing a trail for safely integrating drones into the national airspace, a team from NASA’s Ames Research Center on Oct. 19 flew four uncrewed aircraft – commonly called drones – at Reno-Stead Airport in Reno, Nevada.
The “out of sight” tests, led by NASA in coordination with the Federal Aviation Administration and several partners, were the latest waypoint in solving the challenge of drones flying beyond the visual line of sight of their human operators without endangering other aircraft. They were part of NASA’s Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) traffic management (UTM) research platform, led by Dr. Parimal Kopardekar, manager of NASA’s Safe Autonomous Systems Operations project and senior engineer for Air Transportation Systems at Ames.
NASA is with you when you fly, committed to transforming aviation by reducing its environmental impact, maintaining safety, and revolutionizing aircraft shapes and propulsion. Every U.S. aircraft and U.S. air traffic control tower has NASA-developed technology on board. Ames Research Center originally was part of NASA’s precursor, the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics, which shaped the first 100 years of aviation in America.
During the test, two of the drones flew beyond their commanders’ lines of sight. As many as two drones were operated in the same test airspace, separated by altitude and within sight of their operators. The pilots used the NASA-developed UTM research platform to gain information about all the drones’ locations and proximity to other air traffic and hazards. UTM also informed other airspace users of potential hazards and conflicting operations that could affect their plans.
Before multiple drones can fly in the same area, beyond the pilots’ view, procedures need to be in place to safely manage the traffic. Operators must be aware of other aircraft around them, no-fly zones (also known as geo-fenced areas), and man-made and natural hazards, such as severe weather or unanticipated events in the area.

This animation simulates testing performed Wednesday, Oct. 19, 2016, by a team from NASA’s Ames Research Center at Reno-Stead Airport in Reno, Nevada. The team flew four uncrewed aircraft -- commonly called drones — using NASA’s Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) traffic management (UTM) research platform. The “out of sight” tests, led by NASA in coordination with the Federal Aviation Administration, were the latest waypoint in solving the challenge of drones flying beyond the visual line of sight of their human operators without endangering other aircraft.

During the Oct. 19 tests, NASA demonstrated UTM’s Technical Capability Level 2 (TCL2) by connecting real drone-tracking systems to the research platform, providing alerts for approaching drones and piloted aircraft (live or simulated), as well as providing information about weather and other hazards. “We are very happy with the test,” said Dr. Kopardekar, at the close of the day. “We have completed all our test goals, in terms of the number of scenarios and data collection toward operations beyond visual line of sight. The test was possible due to a very good collaboration among partners and NASA.”
UTM partners used various unmanned aircraft connected to the research platform to test UAS operations allowing NASA and the FAA to refine and develop the research. Additional observers kept a sharp eye on every vehicle to ensure safe operations even when the drones were out of sight of the operator-in-command.
“The NASA UTM program is groundbreaking and we are excited to be part of the effort,” said Mark Barker, director of Business Development at Nevada Institute of Autonomous Systems (NIAS), which is responsible for the FAA-designated Nevada UAS Test Site. “NASA, NIAS and all the Nevada Teammates are truly advancing the unmanned systems industry.”
Michael Erickson, president of Aviation Management Inc., and Drone Co-Habitation Services, said that “as one of the NASA-UTM TCL2 teammates, we are excited to be included into the NASA trials and helping to expand, through testing, the incremental proliferation of commercial UAS platforms into real-life business applications.”
When three of the drones flew close together, they were within view of their operators. Current FAA regulations require that drone operators are able to see any other aircraft in order to avoid them, which limits many potential applications for drone technology. The UTM demonstration will help regulators and researchers assess the capabilities and procedures that could support operations beyond operators’ visual lines of sight. The operators also used common data exchange protocols -- developed jointly by NASA, the FAA and industry -- to flag their intended use of the airspace stay aware of any real-time constraints.
Several UTM “Firsts”
This test boasts several firsts:

Precision Hawk pilot readies aircraft for test flight.
Credits: NASA Ames / Dominic Hart

• First UTM demonstration of multiple drones flying beyond visual line of sight of the pilot, with paths separated by altitude. This used the UTM research platform for information about potential hazards and conflicting operations.
  • First demonstration of prioritizing airspace access for emergency response drones through UTM airspace management combined with notification of other UAS operators to clear the area.
  • First demonstration of system detect-and-alert capabilities. Live radar and weather systems provided alerts to UTM operators based on real data measurements. The team also introduced simulated weather events, such as high winds, to obtain operator feedback and further refine the capability.
  • Enhanced demonstration of automated alert when aircraft are not conforming to their flight plans. This safety feature warns UAS operators and, in future, FAA systems of these hazards, such as a drone flying away from its planned path or loss of connection with an operator.
  • First demonstration of dynamic re-routing capability that allows an unmanned, airborne vehicle to request flight plan changes. This function allows operators to update their missions in response to either changing airspace conditions or new mission objectives.
Previous flight tests by engineers from NASA’s Ames Research Center, located in California’s Silicon Valley, have expanded development and evaluated requirements needed to make low-altitude drone operations safe and efficient. In April 2016, NASA and operators from several FAA drone test sites across the country flew 22 uncrewed aircraft simultaneously, the first and largest demonstration of its kind, to assess rural operations of NASA’s UTM research platform. In November 2015, NASA’s UTM team field-tested rural UAS operations with drones operating in separated flight areas that pilots reserved using the UTM research platform.
With the most recent tests complete, NASA now will offer the capabilities to all FAA test sites for further validation and assessment. UTM’s Technical Capability Level Three testing is planned for January 2018 and will involve evaluating tracking procedures for managing cooperative and uncooperative drones to ensure collective safety of manned and unmanned operations over moderately populated areas. Technical Capability Level Four, planned for 2019, will involve higher-density urban areas for autonomous vehicles used for newsgathering and package delivery, and will offer large-scale contingency mitigation.
Collaborators for the October tests included: Aerovironment, Inc., Monrovia, California; Alaska Center of UAS Integration, Fairbanks, Alaska; Drone Co-Habitation Services, Wilmington, Delaware; Gryphon Sensors, Syracuse, New York; Lone Star UAS Center, Corpus Christi, Texas; Modern Technology Solutions Inc., Alexandria, Virginia; Nevada Institute of Autonomous Systems, Reno, Nevada; Precision Hawk, Raleigh, North Carolina; Proxy Technologies, Reston, Virginia; Silent Falcon, Albuquerque, New Mexico; SmartC2, Grand Forks, North Dakota; University of Nevada-Reno, Reno, Nevada, and Unmanned Experts, Denver, Colorado.
To learn more about NASA aeronautics, visit:
Media Contact: Sharon Lozano, Ames Research Center
Last Updated: Oct. 20, 2016
Editor: Sharon Lozano

[h=5]Tags: Aeronautics, Ames Research Center[/h]
Old 10-21-2016, 09:41 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow that is exciting!

I hope the AMA gets first dibs at insuring the whole thing!
Old 10-21-2016, 09:42 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Hey Hound Dog , nice links . It's nice to see the research that's being done to get the commercial drones ready to be integrated into flying with all the other regular traffic up there . Just like the self driving cars , once they teach the computer enough of every possible flight condition it could ever encounter , sure I think we'll have not only smallish drones flying BLOS delivering Amazon packages , I think in the somewhat further future there will be things like full sized non human piloted cargo planes and even ocean going ships totally run without direct human intervention . I wouldn't be surprised if the initial systems do have a human monitor though , watching over dozens or even hundreds of autonomous craft , ready to supply that human decision in the super rare case that the computer can't figure it out for itself .
Old 10-21-2016, 11:35 AM
HoundDog

At least if the drones are some form of MR or anti gravity machine capable of sustained hover it might not be too chaotic. At least they will be able to hold position till some form of Human/Android Controller figures out just who has the right of way.
Better Yet, just step into the Transporter and appear at some far away destination. I'll never see it unless I win a big lottery and they keep me alive till they get it all.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:49 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by init4fun
Hey Hound Dog , nice links . It's nice to see the research that's being done to get the commercial drones ready to be integrated into flying with all the other regular traffic up there . Just like the self driving cars , once they teach the computer enough of every possible flight condition it could ever encounter , sure I think we'll have not only smallish drones flying BLOS delivering Amazon packages , I think in the somewhat further future there will be things like full sized non human piloted cargo planes and even ocean going ships totally run without direct human intervention . I wouldn't be surprised if the initial systems do have a human monitor though , watching over dozens or even hundreds of autonomous craft , ready to supply that human decision in the super rare case that the computer can't figure it out for itself .
It's plagereized frommy EAA e-Hotline News letter
Old 10-21-2016, 01:52 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

1 of the 2 drones pictured in the article, is a fixed wing. the maker of that fixed wing drone is one of the partners in this entire project. noticed that one org was not included in the list of folks working to make this happen. course, it could be said that this is all beyond their mission statements.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:40 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by mr_matt
Wow that is exciting!

I hope the AMA gets first dibs at insuring the whole thing!
Ah...an AMA reference, perhaps this can stay in this forum now.

The more you post about the AMA and sanctions and insurance I can't help but wonder if you realize the AMA isn't an insurance company.

Last edited by porcia83; 10-22-2016 at 03:46 AM.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:44 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by mongo
1 of the 2 drones pictured in the article, is a fixed wing. the maker of that fixed wing drone is one of the partners in this entire project. noticed that one org was not included in the list of folks working to make this happen. course, it could be said that this is all beyond their mission statements.
Are they normally involved in making projects similar to that "happen".
Old 10-21-2016, 05:47 PM
init4fun

At least if the drones are some form of MR or anti gravity machine capable of sustained hover it might not be too chaotic. At least they will be able to hold position till some form of Human/Android Controller figures out just who has the right of way.
Better Yet, just step into the Transporter and appear at some far away destination. I'll never see it unless I win a big lottery and they keep me alive till they get it all.
Yep , once they all are all truly what I'd call integrated , if one stops and hovers till it gets it's directions straight all the others will know about it , and they wont be flying into each other because every one will know where all the others are .

It's plagereized frommy EAA e-Hotline News letter
Hey , no problem , you didn't reprint it for profit so I don't see any plagiarism here
Old 10-22-2016, 06:27 PM
init4fun

Here ya go gents , If ever I were to buy a drone , here's a drone that I'd love to fly around the backyard on Halloween night !
Old 10-23-2016, 01:41 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Here is an article I saw today, explaining the damage a MR Drone could do. Most important is the very last paragraph.
http://www.askthepilot.com/the-drone-danger/

Just thought I would throw that out for reading.

Last edited by FLAPHappy; 10-23-2016 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 05:32 PM
init4fun

Hi FlapHappy ,

Thank You for that link . Since it was published over a year ago the last paragraph about the 400 foot thing has been resolved since then .

Last edited by init4fun; 10-23-2016 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Saw that it was published Jan 2015 and not recently .
Old 10-24-2016, 08:32 AM
Sport_Pilot

Apparently the words out and nobody violates the 400 foot and 5 mile limit. Cause there are no reports and this thread keeps drifting off topic.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:47 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Someone looking at a felony now: Police say protester drones violated FAA rules at DAPL protest site http://www.kfyrtv.com/content/news/P...398106041.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.