Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Old 11-08-2016, 06:12 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by freemanm
Drones have been around for years. It is only recently one could buy a fully assembled ready to fly drone. We didn't have problems until the retail market started selling ready to fly drones.
Ban ready made drones and your problems will be over.
Junkpilot

Might as well BAN all R/C Toys that fly. Education is the right way to proceed to a solution to people flying where and when they should not.
Old 11-08-2016, 07:43 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
If hobby Shops would inform customers about the Federal regs on sUAS's DRONES I think we would have less problems.
And even FEWER hobby shops!

Astro
Old 11-08-2016, 08:05 PM
HoundDog

And how many hobby shops we going to have if the Feds ban anything RC that flys.
Old 11-09-2016, 12:59 AM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
They don't have too! The FAA did that. Part 107 is commercial and 101 recreational.
Haven't been here for a while but just had to say Sport, you called it months ago about Trump. Congratulations on your new President and hope he does great things.
Old 11-09-2016, 02:55 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Yesterday I was in the local hobby shop (One of the few left) and an HS engendering teacher was discussing a project he was going to do with his students. More or less do video or something for the school. Sounded like they were going to receive compensation for this project. Anyway I asked him if he realized that he need a Federal License to fly anything RC in the USA over a half bound or under 55 lbs. then I stated that if it was going to be done for compensation of any kid he need a Drone Operators certificate and the only way was to take n on line course and pass a written FAA exam. Only then did the Hobby shop Owner even acknowledged that yes indeed that it was necessary to have a federal certificate to fly even RC toys. I don't think he was very happy with me. I told the Teacher to google FAR part 107 for more info. If hobby Shops would inform customers about the Federal regs on sUAS's DRONES I think we would have less problems.
I wouldn't be too happy either if some buttinski started interrupting me in the middle of a presentation to a customer !
How do you know he wouldn't have informed him ?
Old 11-09-2016, 03:50 AM
HoundDog

[TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD="width: 486"][TABLE="width: 468"]
[TR]
[TD]Disney Gets Drone Display Approval
By Russ Niles
[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD][TABLE="width: 170, align: right"]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
The FAA has approved Disney’s use of drones to create an aerial spectacle over one of its Orlando theme parks. Disney had already patented technology to use drones to carry and create displays in the skies above its resorts. On Tuesday, the FAA gave the nod for the company to exploit that technology in what looks like a tip of the iceberg for the fertile minds at the company.
The first demonstration of the technology, released by Disney in a brief video (below), is a spiral of rotating drones carrying green lights to create the rough image of a Christmas tree. But Disney has major plans for drone shows depicting its characters and other magic in the future and a unique set of circumstances in which to exploit the plans. Disney parks are under permanent flight restrictions for security and nuisance (banner planes) reasons and the company actually had to apply for an exemption from its own flight ban to launch the drone effort.

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 11-09-2016, 04:31 AM
rcmiket

Yesterday I was in the local hobby shop (One of the few left) and an HS engendering teacher was discussing a project he was going to do with his students. More or less do video or something for the school. Sounded like they were going to receive compensation for this project. Anyway I asked him if he realized that he need a Federal License to fly anything RC in the USA over a half bound or under 55 lbs. then I stated that if it was going to be done for compensation of any kid he need a Drone Operators certificate and the only way was to take n on line course and pass a written FAA exam. Only then did the Hobby shop Owner even acknowledged that yes indeed that it was necessary to have a federal certificate to fly even RC toys. I don't think he was very happy with me. I told the Teacher to google FAR part 107 for more info. If hobby Shops would inform customers about the Federal regs on sUAS's DRONES I think we would have less problems.
I try and educate at the LHS every chance I get ( well 3 days of week anyway). Some listen some could care less. You can lead a horse to water.

Mike
Old 11-09-2016, 05:12 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

All fine and good till the drone is autonomisand doesn't need any out side signal except GPS to navigate on an assigned route. It's already done with signal loss and return to home. There are also systems that can be programmed to use way points. No transmitter needed ounce launched.

Just saying for every for weapon system there is a counter measure to follow. Nothing made by man can not be defeated. Other wise we would need to replace Military hardware with newer and better all the time.
Even those flying on GPS and waypoints still transmit their video and can, therefore, be tracked.
Old 11-09-2016, 06:34 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
I wouldn't be too happy either if some buttinski started interrupting me in the middle of a presentation to a customer !
How do you know he wouldn't have informed him ?
How do we know he would have? He's in the sales business so anything that could potentially stop a sale would be the last thing to be revealed
Old 11-09-2016, 06:35 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by rgburrill
Even those flying on GPS and waypoints still transmit their video and can, therefore, be tracked

And if they just record the video for later annalious and turn the x-mitter off and the craft is compleatly autonomous. How about the ones controlled or just programmed thru a Cell Phone or Tablet? What I'm saying there is always a counter measure for every offence or defense. Nothing stays stagnant.Every thing can be defeated, Just not easily some times. Yes the Idea will work for 99.99% but there is always a way around it no mater what if man invented it man can defeat it.
Old 11-09-2016, 06:37 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob2160
Haven't been here for a while but just had to say Sport, you called it months ago about Trump. Congratulations on your new President and hope he does great things.
I was for Trump from the beginning and took some heat here for that stance . One gent in particular just HAD to keep pounding away with the negative Trump references and I hope he is as willing to accept our new President as he was as free with the insults for the man before he won .

Now all I want to see is Frank Tiano become AMA President and all will be fine & dandy in init4fun's world
Old 11-09-2016, 06:47 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
How do we know he would have? He's in the sales business so anything that could potentially stop a sale would be the last thing to be revealed
I'm with Mike and Hydro here , why would Mike's info be any kinds of "buttinski" if the salesman really WAS gonna tell the potential customer , BEFORE THE SALE , that there are hoops to be jumped through ?
Old 11-09-2016, 06:47 AM
HoundDog

LS/MFT Used to be Lucky Strike / Means Fine Tabasco Then in the 50's Lord Save Me From Truman ... Now it Lord Save / Me from Trump But much better than ,,, Lord Save / Me From (What refers to Hilary and starts with "T")
Old 11-09-2016, 06:54 AM
rcmiket

My experience has been that being up front and honest builds relationships with a customer. I find that relationships build business not telling them what they want to hear to get the sale.

Mike
Old 11-09-2016, 07:11 AM
init4fun

LS/MFT Used to be Lucky Strike / Means Fine Tabasco Then in the 50's Lord Save Me From Truman ... Now it Lord Save / Me from Trump But much better than ,,, Lord Save / Me From (What refers to Hilary and starts with "T")

Well I just watched her concession speech and I will say she spoke with the class & dignity one would expect of a Presidential candidate .

Last edited by init4fun; 11-09-2016 at 09:17 AM.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:25 AM
N410DC

The hobby stores are between a rock and a hard place. From a pure sales efficiency standpoint, it's a really bad idea to tell a prospective customer than they are going to have to invest a great deal of money in an sUAV, and then even more time and money for training and an FAA certificate, just fly a sUAV in furtherance of their job. I have bought a half dozen cars, and no salesman even told me how much I would need to spend on things such as maintenance, satellite radio fees, insurance, etc. They certainly did not detail how badly my new investment would depreciate. If they did, I might have had second thoughts, which would cost them a sale. By the same token, a hobby shop wants to encourage sales, not the opposite. In light of these facts, I think some shops will continue to deliberately keep their prospective customers in the dark about these regulations, unless/until they are somehow mandated to do so.

That said, I do agree that hobby shops should take the initiative to educate prospective customers. I have noticed that our local HobbyTown USA places stickers on any box that contains a model that meets the FAA requirements for pilot registration, which notifies the buyer of his/her obligations to register. A simple one-page handout that outlines this requirement, and points out that there is not charge for registration, would satisfy this obligation. Even better, the salesperson could sit them down at a computer and help them complete the relatively simple registration process before they even leave the store. Some hobby shops that sell professional grade equipment are offering Part 107 training programs. These shops could take a large step in the right direction by waiving a large portion of (or all of) the course fee for customers who buy an sUAV for commercial use.

There are simple solutions out there. It's just a matter of taking the initiative.

Last edited by N410DC; 11-11-2016 at 06:00 AM.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:32 AM
Sport_Pilot

Never understood the relationship between a cigarette and bowling. But that brand has been around a very long time.
Old 11-09-2016, 10:34 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

This is politics and I hope this hijacking stops with this comment.
Old 11-09-2016, 02:41 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

I agree RG. This has nothing to do with rotten Politics ands its disasters or Benefits.. it in itself is why why don't do this. on a Forum.
My vote is NO , now some people continue to post Political issues over the topic of the thread.
Not ALLOWED, according to RC Ken , the moderator of this forum RCken has repeated cautions to Porcia, yet he( Porcia) continues with his agenda, so get used to it. Accept it? No, Yes, Maybe,?
Old 11-09-2016, 03:36 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by N410DC
The hobby stores are between a rock and a hard place. From a pure sales efficiency standpoint, it's a really bad idea to tell a prospective customer than they are going to have to invest a great deal of money in an sUAV, and then even more time and money for training and an FAA certificate, just fly a sUAV in furtherance of their job. I have bought a half dozen cars, and no salesman even told me how much I would need to spend on things such as maintenance, satellite radio fees, insurance, etc. They certainly did not detail how badly my new investment would depreciate. If they did, I might have had second thoughts, which would cost them a sale. By the same token, a hobby shop wants to encourage sales, not the opposite. In light of these facts, I think some shops will continue to deliberately keep their prospective customers in the dark about these regulations, unless/until they are somehow mandated to do so.

That said, I do agree that hobby shops should take the initiative to educate prospective customers. I have noticed that our local HobbyTown USA places stickers on any box that contains a model that meets the FAA requirements for pilot registration, which notifies the buyer of his/her obligations to register. A simple one-page handout that outlines this requirement, and points out that there is not charge for registration, would satisfy this obligation. Even better, the salesperson could sit them down at a computer and help them complete the relatively simple registration process before they even leave the store. Some hobby shops that sell professional grade equipment are offering Part 107 training programs. These shops could take a large step in the right direction by waiving a large portion of (or all of) the course fee for customers who buy an sUAV for commercial use.

There are simple solutions out there. It's just a matter of taking the initiative.

Since the BIG BOX stores probably sell more drones to the masses than any Hobby Shop they are the ones with the drone education issue. Do you really think any of their employees have a clue or even care about any regulations?

Mike
Old 11-09-2016, 03:38 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by FLAPHappy
I agree RG. This has nothing to do with rotten Politics ands its disasters or Benefits.. it in itself is why why don't do this. on a Forum.
My vote is NO , now some people continue to post Political issues over the topic of the thread.
Not ALLOWED, according to RC Ken , the moderator of this forum RCken has repeated cautions to Porcia, yet he( Porcia) continues with his agenda, so get used to it. Accept it? No, Yes, Maybe,?

Think I'd let Ken make that call. Threads go off a bit and come back around. This ones no different.

Mike
Old 11-09-2016, 03:41 PM
Rob2160

Yeah, because tolerating a degree of off topic and friendly banter between long standing members on RCU might actually allow them to build friendships and camaraderie. Obviously we don't want that happening in our hobby...
Old 11-09-2016, 08:14 PM
HoundDog

Not telling a costumer that they are required to posses the proper credentials to fly an RC TOY or fly for profit is just wrong... Especially with the possibility of being Jailed or heavily fined or both ... A little Lost profit will not jeopardize the hobby as much as bad publicity on the 5 o'clock news.
Old 11-09-2016, 11:23 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Think I'd let Ken make that call. Threads go off a bit and come back around. This ones no different.

Mike
You are correct, sorry, just got a little carried away.
Old 11-10-2016, 03:16 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Well if the individual would have allowed him to finish talking to the customer without interrupting we would have known.
That's my point. I think it's rude and unprofessional to interrupt someone in the middle of a presentation just to add your two cents. Once he was finished and if he didn't cover those points then politely bring up the issue or wait and talk to the customer on the side.

Anyway , I know my lhs is upfront with customers especially if they reveal they want to use it professionally. Everyone is given instruction on setting up and flying it, informed if they need to register it or not, told how to fly it safely and not to do anything stupid.
Will some hobby shops cut corners just to make a sale ? :Possibly but knowing that the faa and fbi visit shops and talk to the owners about "drones" I would think they would err on the side of caution.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.