Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Old 11-10-2016, 04:12 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Not telling a costumer that they are required to posses the proper credentials to fly an RC TOY or fly for profit is just wrong... Especially with the possibility of being Jailed or heavily fined or both ... A little Lost profit will not jeopardize the hobby as much as bad publicity on the 5 o'clock news.

Each one ( from the bigger names in the business) has the "Know Before You Fly " info in the box with the info they need and the warnings about where and when they can fly. many don't care or even bother reading the quick start info on operation. Walk into a Best Buy look at the stacks of high end drones. No info whatsoever is obtainable just pick it up pay for it and do as you please.
With that said the FAA has had AMPLE opportunities to hand out the fines along with jail time and has passed time after time. I blame them for not making examples out of the morons.

Mike
Old 11-10-2016, 04:15 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by FLAPHappy
You are correct, sorry, just got a little carried away.

We all do from time to time. Been there done that.

Mike
Old 11-10-2016, 04:33 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Each one ( from the bigger names in the business) has the "Know Before You Fly " info in the box with the info they need and the warnings about where and when they can fly. many don't care or even bother reading the quick start info on operation. Walk into a Best Buy look at the stacks of high end drones. No info whatsoever is obtainable just pick it up pay for it and do as you please.
With that said the FAA has had AMPLE opportunities to hand out the fines along with jail time and has passed time after time. I blame them for not making examples out of the morons.

Mike

Yes, I wonder how many best buy customers were told anything about the copter they were buying ?
I doubt if the associate discussed faa rules or ama safety guidelines much let alone set the copter up ,make sure it functions properly, and give them some operational instruction. Now there may have been a flyer working at best buy who went the extra mile for the customer but I believe the majority of customers bought it, took it home and were on their own.
Old 11-10-2016, 04:44 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
Yes, I wonder how many best buy customers were told anything about the copter they were buying ?
I doubt if the associate discussed faa rules or ama safety guidelines much let alone set the copter up ,make sure it functions properly, and give them some operational instruction. Now there may have been a flyer working at best buy who went the extra mile for the customer but I believe the majority of customers bought it, took it home and were on their own.

I can verify ( from personal experience) you are 100% correct as far as lack of information at the Big Box Stores.Over the last year I spent countless hours working with people that purchased drones and had no clue on operation not to mention the regulations attached to the purchase. With that said once I helped them with their issue ( which I was under no obligation since we did not make the initial sale) I would try a give them a quick pitch on just what they could do along with what not to do..
Most looked at me with a blank stare walked out and I assume did as they pleased. I did make a few understand but can't be sure if it stuck.

Mike
Old 11-10-2016, 05:58 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I can verify ( from personal experience) you are 100% correct as far as lack of information at the Big Box Stores.Over the last year I spent countless hours working with people that purchased drones and had no clue on operation not to mention the regulations attached to the purchase. With that said once I helped them with their issue ( which I was under no obligation since we did not make the initial sale) I would try a give them a quick pitch on just what they could do along with what not to do..
Most looked at me with a blank stare walked out and I assume did as they pleased. I did make a few understand but can't be sure if it stuck.

Mike
And this situation has me wondering, how many "associates" at the "Big Box Stores" have had any training on the "rules of the road" as far as quads go? To take this one step further, how many have been told NOT to talk about the rules, IF they had any knowledge to begin with, in order to sell these high dollar items? Selling a $750 quad is probably much easier than selling a $1,000 appliance and, unlike an appliance, it's not going to last for 8+ years. This means that selling a quad to someone would be more like selling a car to many, new model comes out and the customer has to have it, preferably before anyone else gets one.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:04 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
And this situation has me wondering, how many "associates" at the "Big Box Stores" have had any training on the "rules of the road" as far as quads go? To take this one step further, how many have been told NOT to talk about the rules, IF they had any knowledge to begin with, in order to sell these high dollar items? Selling a $750 quad is probably much easier than selling a $1,000 appliance and, unlike an appliance, it's not going to last for 8+ years. This means that selling a quad to someone would be more like selling a car to many, new model comes out and the customer has to have it, preferably before anyone else gets one.
There's no telling. I imagine even upper management has no clue (or even cares) what the rules are. Last year BB and the AMA "teamed" up with a FREE AMA membership with a drone purchase and the redemption rate was piss poor, that has to say something about the education effort.. The numbers were in one of the EC minutes I posted after seeing them.

Mike
Old 11-10-2016, 06:52 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Back round checks and mandatory FAA certificate to Purchase own or fly any R/C toy for fun in the USA. Just like Guns. Seriously with the possibility of Heavy Fies and or Imprisonment why shouldn't it be mandatory to inform people and be assured they understand the law. If I were about to purchase some thing that required special requirements to own and operate, I'd certainly like to know. The problem of Quads "Drones" has seemed to have quieted down significantly. If it does rear it's ugly head possibly there should be MANDATORY instruction in order to operate R/C Toys for pleasure just as a drivers or Pilots license is required.

Of the 5 AMA clubs to witch I belong only one requires all new members to take Instruction or in the case of experience flyers a flight and knowledge test administered or witnessed by two flight instructors. With out this test or instruction U do not fly alone or as a student. I tried to get this instituted at 2 of the clubs to which I belong in Wisconsin and possibly retroactive at one. Almost got me lynched. Not many people care about SAFETY until some thing serious happens and someone gets hurt.... How come it always seem that the IN CROWD can do things that others (Not in the Elate crowd) are immediately chastised for? Just as a point of interest nothing is said about the president of one of these clubs has the Loudest Gas Engine of the whole club and no one says a thing. Just an Observation.

OH while I'm at it I apologize for the LS/MFT post.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:38 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

There's no telling. I imagine even upper management has no clue (or even cares) what the rules are. Last year BB and the AMA "teamed" up with a FREE AMA membership with a drone purchase and the redemption rate was piss poor, that has to say something about the education effort.. The numbers were in one of the EC minutes I posted after seeing them.

Mike
Hi Mike , If I had to guess why the redemption rate was piss poor , my guess would be that of the people who fly drones , the ones who got into them because they were already into RC flying things are most likely already AMA members (especially if they were flying in any kind of club) , and the ones who would buy a drone in a Best Buy as a toy with no other RC flying experience would most likely not want to join a national organization for the purchase of a toy . We may think very highly of our AMA memberships and that's all well and good for us who live eat breathe and exist for RC aircraft modeling , but to the general public who aren't as invested in the hobby as we are , would buying a toy robot or model boat want to make them join a club devoted to those hobbies any more than a drone purchase would make them want to join the AMA ?
Old 11-10-2016, 09:41 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by init4fun
Hi Mike , If I had to guess why the redemption rate was piss poor , my guess would be that of the people who fly drones , the ones who got into them because they were already into RC flying things are most likely already AMA members (especially if they were flying in any kind of club) , and the ones who would buy a drone in a Best Buy as a toy with no other RC flying experience would most likely not want to join a national organization for the purchase of a toy . We may think very highly of our AMA memberships and that's all well and good for us who live eat breathe and exist for RC aircraft modeling , but to the general public who aren't as invested in the hobby as we are , would buying a toy robot or model boat want to make them join a club devoted to those hobbies any more than a drone purchase would make them want to join the AMA ?

Or it was a poorly executed program. Rarely are free offers past on if people see value in them.

Mike
Old 11-10-2016, 09:41 AM
init4fun

OH while I'm at it I apologize for the LS/MFT post.
Hound , buddy , ALL threads drift to some degree or other , and I thought your post was fine considering how far this and other threads have drifted .
Old 11-10-2016, 09:59 AM
Hydro Junkie

Background checks and mandatory FAA certificate to Purchase own or fly any R/C toy for fun in the USA. Just like Guns. Seriously with the possibility of Heavy Fines and or Imprisonment why shouldn't it be mandatory to inform people and be assured they understand the law. If I were about to purchase some thing that required special requirements to own and operate, I'd certainly like to know. The problem of Quads "Drones" has seemed to have quieted down significantly. If it does rear it's ugly head possibly there should be MANDATORY instruction in order to operate R/C Toys for pleasure just as a drivers or Pilots license is required.

Of the 5 AMA clubs to witch I belong only one requires all new members to take Instruction or in the case of experience flyers a flight and knowledge test administered or witnessed by two flight instructors. With out this test or instruction U do not fly alone or as a student. I tried to get this instituted at 2 of the clubs to which I belong in Wisconsin and possibly retroactive at one. Almost got me lynched.
And, while I think your comments in the first paragraph are a bit of "overkill, the second is well within the realm of reason.
As you can probably tell by my screen name, I build and race R/C hydroplanes. To race, in the club I belong to, you have to pass an oral test on the rule book, covering both on shore and on the water procedures. You then have to drive your boat 5 laps around a race course, under the supervision of one of the club officers. Gee, does this sound familiar? The reasoning behind the required "driver's test" is to make sure the person operating a boat isn't a menace to everyone else on the water during a heat.
Old 11-10-2016, 12:45 PM
HoundDog

And, while I think your comments in the first paragraph are a bit of "overkill, the second is well within the realm of reason.
As you can probably tell by my screen name, I build and race R/C hydroplanes. To race, in the club I belong to, you have to pass an oral test on the rule book, covering both on shore and on the water procedures. You then have to drive your boat 5 laps around a race course, under the supervision of one of the club officers. Gee, does this sound familiar? The reasoning behind the required "driver's test" is to make sure the person operating a boat isn't a menace to everyone else on the water during a heat.
first paragraph are a bit of "overkill,
More or less done for effect it would/could never happen.

U and I see eye to eye that someone operating something that can Kill & Mame should prove that they are at least marginally safe enough to not Kill someone or them selves.
Old 11-10-2016, 02:02 PM
Hydro Junkie

I think the biggest difference between the quads and my boats is that a quad, for the most part, isn't going to really hurt you unless you get hit by a prop, which is normally caged//shielded. In the case of my boats, while at racing speeds, it can be traveling in excess of 60mph with a sharpened METAL prop spinning at over 25K RPM. Add to that a sharpened metal blade hanging down from the right side of the boat as well as a sharpened rudder next to the prop. Since the boat I normally race is 14 lbs, consider the damage it can do if:
A) it hits someone head on either in the water or up on the beach due to driver error or radio issues
B) the prop catches someone while spinning that fast due to driver error or radio issues
C) the blade or rudder catches someone's bare skin after leaving the water and flying into the air off the beach due to driver error or radio issues

Trust me, it's not pretty.
Old 11-10-2016, 02:52 PM
rcmiket

I think the biggest difference between the quads and my boats is that a quad, for the most part, isn't going to really hurt you unless you get hit by a prop, which is normally caged//shielded. In the case of my boats, while at racing speeds, it can be traveling in excess of 60mph with a sharpened METAL prop spinning at over 25K RPM. Add to that a sharpened metal blade hanging down from the right side of the boat as well as a sharpened rudder next to the prop. Since the boat I normally race is 14 lbs, consider the damage it can do if:
A) it hits someone head on either in the water or up on the beach due to driver error or radio issues
B) the prop catches someone while spinning that fast due to driver error or radio issues
C) the blade or rudder catches someone's bare skin after leaving the water and flying into the air off the beach due to driver error or radio issues

Trust me, it's not pretty.

Those same injuries can and have occurred caused by quads. Indian's pitcher in October would come to mind..

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate..._bleeding.html
Mike
Old 11-10-2016, 05:51 PM
HoundDog

Every one but the FAA thinks Drones = Quads ... any thing that flys by Remote Control is a DRONE according to the FAA
Old 11-10-2016, 06:03 PM
Hydro Junkie

You also have to remember, that pitcher tried to grab a fully functional quad out of the air. I'm talking about injuries caused by an out of control boat due to driver error/incompetence or a radio failure. Here is a link to a couple of pictures that graphically show what an idling boat prop can do JUST BY BEING CARELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The pictures are not for those with a weak stomach
http://namba.com/content/library/pro.../October/#23/z
Old 11-10-2016, 06:37 PM
HoundDog

last Monday one of our members started up a mediam size chopper and all of a sudden it went straight up (Uncontrolled) about 30' and crashed behind him in the pits about 10 feet from a group of us. Just another of many close calls I've witnessed. He was very experienceed with the Chopper too.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:44 PM
init4fun

Every one but the FAA thinks Drones = Quads ... any thing that flys by Remote Control is a DRONE according to the FAA
Words are kinda funny like that , once an entrenched public usage becomes established it's pretty much cast in stone what folks mean when they use them . In our case , yes indeed to the 99% of the Earth's occupants , other than the FAA , when they hear drone they think quad (or other multi) copter .
Old 11-10-2016, 06:54 PM
cj_rumley

This isn't straightforward to sort out, Hound. FAA says model aircraft are what is defined in Part 336 (now Part 101), and drones are defined and regulated by Part 107. Seems simple enough until you look at what AMA says:

Model Aircraft - as defined in Part 336 and are operated by AMA members. Also includes multi-rotors et al flown FPV (formerly known as drones) if operator is an dues-paying AMA member. FAR Part 101 regulations apply as AMA deems appropriate.

Drone - includes what was formerly known as model aircraft but operated by by a non-member of AMA. Part 107 rules apply.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:40 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
This isn't straightforward to sort out, Hound. FAA says model aircraft are what is defined in Part 336 (now Part 101), and drones are defined and regulated by Part 107. Seems simple enough until you look at what AMA says:

Model Aircraft - as defined in Part 336 and are operated by AMA members. Also includes multi-rotors et al flown FPV (formerly known as drones) if operator is an dues-paying AMA member. FAR Part 101 regulations apply as AMA deems appropriate.

Drone - includes what was formerly known as model aircraft but operated by by a non-member of AMA. Part 107 rules apply.
Way too complicated for an O'l Gezzer to comprehend. Good thing I fly only at an AMA field and the AMA in Muncie is protecting my butt. But Officer we are here just to have fun. When it ceases to be fun I'll have a big Bon fire and go back to SEX LOL Fat Chance O'l Geezers can fantasize can't we?
Old 11-11-2016, 04:34 AM
rcmiket

You also have to remember, that pitcher tried to grab a fully functional quad out of the air. I'm talking about injuries caused by an out of control boat due to driver error/incompetence or a radio failure. Here is a link to a couple of pictures that graphically show what an idling boat prop can do JUST BY BEING CARELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The pictures are not for those with a weak stomach
http://namba.com/content/library/pro.../October/#23/z

All of our "toys" are dangerous.

Mike
Old 11-11-2016, 06:14 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by cj_rumley

Most so called drones are also part 101. 101 is recreational and 107 is commercial, it matters not if a drone or model airplane.
Old 11-11-2016, 06:59 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Most so called drones are also part 101. 101 is recreational and 107 is commercial, it matters not if a drone or model airplane.
Besides, check around with your flying buds the only thing that maters is that nothing maters ... They really don't give a good "Scheit". The only people that care even a little bit are those ruight here arguing just to argue. OH Me too.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:14 PM
HoundDog

[h=1]This could be what the terrifying future of personal drones looks like[/h]

http://qz.com/830176/this-new-drone-shows-what-the-terrifying-future-of-personal-drones-could-look-like/
Old 11-12-2016, 05:53 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Isn't this new technology great? We should all be embracing and bowing down to these devices because it is the latest, greatest, fascinating technology. I really think these things are the future of our hobby. I guess I'll sell off all my balsa and "traditional" supplies, because this is clearly our future.

Astro

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.