Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 08:40 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It didn't. At one point a ways back people where convinced it would. I tossed that out there in response to your "Depends on other factors as well. Such as who the Judge is." comment.

Mike
Old 12-23-2016, 09:23 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcmiket
It didn't. At one point a ways back people where convinced it would. I tossed that out there in response to your "Depends on other factors as well. Such as who the Judge is." comment.

Mike
I believe the case was tossed out due to a lack of standing or something like that. Maybe he was not an AMA member.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:30 AM
predman
My Feedback: (7)

Wow this is a lengthy topic!!! I am president of a rc club and teach and practice safety at all times. I have always noticed that a person or persons defending the"right to fly"anywhere at any given time often do not belong to AMA or a club. People will fork out high dollar on these multirotor copters but will not join a club when they are told there's fees. If someone is behind the stick controlling whatever and around others that might put them in danger, and if it does, it was not a "accident". The person holding the controller entered a zone that was unsafe, that's why it should have never been done in the first place. Whether or not they were asked to, or told to. Accidents can be avoided if not given room for them. Of course anything can happen anywhere so I don't want to hear, if you were flying a airplane it could've happened. Because the issues are arrising because of mutli rotors.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:35 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
I believe the case was tossed out due to a lack of standing or something like that. Maybe he was not an AMA member.
I believe the AMA still has active legation related to this but have not had any movement on them in some time.Info from the AMA relating to this isn't very timely or frequent. I keep up with the EC minutes and the blogs on the AMA site and haven't seen any updates in some time.

Mike
Old 12-23-2016, 09:39 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by predman
Wow this is a lengthy topic!!! I am president of a rc club and teach and practice safety at all times. I have always noticed that a person or persons defending the"right to fly"anywhere at any given time often do not belong to AMA or a club. People will fork out high dollar on these multirotor copters but will not join a club when they are told there's fees. If someone is behind the stick controlling whatever and around others that might put them in danger, and if it does, it was not a "accident". The person holding the controller entered a zone that was unsafe, that's why it should have never been done in the first place. Whether or not they were asked to, or told to. Accidents can be avoided if not given room for them. Of course anything can happen anywhere so I don't want to hear, if you were flying a airplane it could've happened. Because the issues are arrising because of mutli rotors.
The AMA has made it perfectly clear that they will focus on attracting the MR crowd. If it will succeed who knows. Eventually they will have to provide some accounting to if all the money and effort has paid off.

Mike
Old 12-23-2016, 10:36 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by predman
People will fork out high dollar on these multirotor copters but will not join a club when they are told there's fees.

Just to clarify I don't do MR's/Quads/Drones/FPV ... Not yet anyway. If my eye sight continues down hill that may be a game changer for me. I always thought it might be nice to fly R/C from the cockpit. Especially since I no longer fly Full Scale.

Let me ask Hypothetically ...Would U (meaning anyone) join a club where U aren't relay wanted and the club puts all kinds of restrictions on you? Many times these restrictions are based solely on the leadership that "Doesn't do that part of the Hobby" and consequently doesn't care for Multi rotors/Helies/electric, etc. When the powers that be accept a persons dues (Money) as a new club member the new member should be given the same respect and flying time all club members are entitled to. If U limit a persons privileges and they pay the same as other members, then U can't blame them for not wanting to join a club. jmho
Old 01-13-2017, 05:52 AM
rcmiket

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_-7vpwcs4Q

Another "responsible" droner in action on New Years Eve.

Mike
Old 01-13-2017, 08:39 AM
Sport_Pilot

Yes registration really worked, right?
Old 01-13-2017, 10:26 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Hi Guys ,

Right now there is an interesting case being heard in the New Hampshire court system of a drone operator who is accused of hovering his drone over his two female neighbor's skylights to supposedly do the "peeping Tom" thing on them . I haven't yet searched it out on line but yesterday's (1/12/17) "WPRI Rhode Island news" reported the story at lunchtime and I'll be curious to see how much media attention the case gets .
Old 01-13-2017, 11:26 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by init4fun
Hi Guys ,

Right now there is an interesting case being heard in the New Hampshire court system of a drone operator who is accused of hovering his drone over his two female neighbor's skylights to supposedly do the "peeping Tom" thing on them . I haven't yet searched it out on line but yesterday's (1/12/17) "WPRI Rhode Island news" reported the story at lunchtime and I'll be curious to see how much media attention the case gets .

I'll have to keep a eye out for that.

Mike
Old 01-16-2017, 11:52 AM
cj_rumley

I'll have to keep a eye out for that.

Mike
Do you mean the perp's video appearing on Youtube, Mike?
Old 01-18-2017, 07:41 AM
SunDevilPilot

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a re-post of something I saw on RC Groups:

The author is the John Taylor, the creator of the linked briefs.

The case has now been scheduled for oral argument on March 14, 2017. bit.ly/2j83NKX

I haven't been posting anything about the case in a while, because there simply wasn't anything to say. I filed my reply brief in August, and have been awaiting the scheduling of oral argument since then.

Though this is a long process, the timing is consistent with other cases in that court.

A decision might be expected between June and August, though there are a lot of variables.

I remain quite optimistic on the law, but there are still a number of events that could intervene to derail this before the court rules.

Here are links to:

My brief: bit.ly/28ADz7H

The FAA Brief: bit.ly/2aDPjgT

My reply brief: bit.ly/2bme0ys
Old 01-18-2017, 07:58 AM
rcmiket

Thanks for posting that. I've been following that also.

Mike
Old 01-18-2017, 09:09 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by SunDevilPilot
Just a re-post of something I saw on RC Groups:

The author is the John Taylor, the creator of the linked briefs.

The case has now been scheduled for oral argument on March 14, 2017. bit.ly/2j83NKX

I haven't been posting anything about the case in a while, because there simply wasn't anything to say. I filed my reply brief in August, and have been awaiting the scheduling of oral argument since then.

Though this is a long process, the timing is consistent with other cases in that court.

A decision might be expected between June and August, though there are a lot of variables.

I remain quite optimistic on the law, but there are still a number of events that could intervene to derail this before the court rules.

Here are links to:

My brief: bit.ly/28ADz7H

The FAA Brief: bit.ly/2aDPjgT

My reply brief: bit.ly/2bme0ys
Sites blocked. Which of the above case's is this about?
Old 01-18-2017, 09:48 AM
SunDevilPilot

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Sites blocked. Which of the above case's is this about?
It seems to cover most of the recent changes to our hobby. It focuses on the legality of the added pilot registration as well as the inclusion of model planes in the "No-Fly Zone" surrounding Washington.

SunDevilPilot
Old 01-30-2017, 10:14 AM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Originally Posted by SunDevilPilot
It seems to cover most of the recent changes to our hobby. It focuses on the legality of the added pilot registration as well as the inclusion of model planes in the "No-Fly Zone" surrounding Washington.

SunDevilPilot
OK, now here is something new that will have people wondering???

How will the FAA regulate this? It's coming!!

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/01/...ificantly.html

Last edited by FLAPHappy; 01-30-2017 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:35 PM
Flight Risk
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FLAPHappy
OK, now here is something new that will have people wondering???

How will the FAA regulate this? It's coming!!

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/01/...ificantly.html

Those of you who fly drones know how energy hungry they are. Helicopters can at least glide to some extent, but multicopters need constant down thrust or will just drop like a rock. And without a parachute you won't catch me in one.

RS
Old 01-30-2017, 08:31 PM
N410DC

Originally Posted by Flight Risk
Those of you who fly drones know how energy hungry they are. Helicopters can at least glide to some extent, but multicopters need constant down thrust or will just drop like a rock. And without a parachute you won't catch me in one.

RS
A completely agree. At a minimum, I am guessing that a ballistic parachute will be required for certification in most countries. They may even require a mechanism that allows the pilot to have some control over the deployed chute. Other safety measures, such as a redundant backup battery system may also be required. I could imagine even more safety measures for flying cars that are used for compensation or hire (e.g. taxi services.)
Old 01-31-2017, 10:10 AM
franklin_m

The AMA has made it perfectly clear that they will focus on attracting the MR crowd. If it will succeed who knows. Eventually they will have to provide some accounting to if all the money and effort has paid off.

Mike
Have you noticed that AMA is now a sponsor for many of these events? I wonder what that's costing the rest of us?
Old 01-31-2017, 10:45 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Have you noticed that AMA is now a sponsor for many of these events? I wonder what that's costing the rest of us?
I doubt it costs much, unless televised.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:24 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

[h=1]9 Flying Cars That Just Might Take You to Work One Day[/h]

http://www.popularmechanics.com/flig...ws&date=013117
Old 02-01-2017, 06:11 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by franklin_m
We'll never know and can assure you that they won't let any of us know if we ask.

Mike
Old 02-01-2017, 07:33 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Why should they let us know? It's an "advertising" expense and that's all they would probably tell anyone. As we all know, the AMA EC isn't required to tell anyone anything at any time so asking for their outlays of money for sponsoring an event will, like any other question, get stonewalled.

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 02-01-2017 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:42 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Why should they let us know? It's an "advertising" expense and that's all they would probably tell anyone. As we all know, the AMA EC isn't required to tell anyone anything at any time so asking for their outlays of money for sponsoring an even will, like any other question, get stonewalled.
and that is part of the problem with our organization..

Mike
Old 02-01-2017, 10:19 AM
flugtek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2JW85t2Chs&t=605s

Last edited by flugtek; 02-01-2017 at 10:29 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.