Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 06:08 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Done Safely It looks like it is just another phase to R/C. Maybe even more fun than just boring holes in the shy with your favorite fixed wing. The guys I fly with 4 of the 6 all do Choppers and one guy from Portland, Oregon showed up yesterday with this $1000+ flole up Quad (Drone) but left his I phone home so he couldn't fly. It even has a complete GPS Geo fenced operating system with a 4K video system on a gamble. Too bad U have to use their toy Controller.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:17 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shame the cop wasn't there when they were landing on the cop car.

Mike
Old 02-02-2017, 06:25 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

I started a thread on the drones forum about someone being charged with a misdemeanor for flying a drone near a rescue operation in California but it doesn't seem to be getting much attention. Thought I would mention here since it certainly relates to this thread's subject.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:34 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by rgburrill
I started a thread on the drones forum about someone being charged with a misdemeanor for flying a drone near a rescue operation in California but it doesn't seem to be getting much attention. Thought I would mention here since it certainly relates to this thread's subject.

Sounds to me Like a non Issue. Millions got DUI's last year Now that is a real Issue. How Drunks Killed and maimed people and how many Drones have Killed and Maimed. It's Over It really doesn't matter any more. Drones (Quads) are here and they ain't going away anytime soon, if Ever. Now whine about the RED Text
Old 02-02-2017, 07:03 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Hi RG ,

I started a thread in the drones subforum as well , and it hasn't received any attention either . My thread wasn't about the typical abuse of the technology we usually see that has folks riled , it was about a local TV station using a drone for news reporting . Thing is , this drone is being used 100% in accordance with the FAA's drone regs for commercial operations (part 107) and is being flown totally legally . If folks want to fly like jerks by all means they should be called out on it , but to see a TV station properly invest in the safe & legal use of drones is nothing short of great in my opinion .

I think the drone/fpv subforums were created far too late in the game here for them to catch on , the drone/fpv folks already have had their own dedicated forums since about a week after the first quad flew and aren't likely to abandon them to come here to our relatively inactive drone/fpv subforums .
Old 02-02-2017, 07:23 AM
rcmiket

and this just in.........................................
http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/01/3...escue-mission/

Mike
Old 02-02-2017, 11:32 AM
rgburrill

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Sounds to me Like a non Issue. Millions got DUI's last year Now that is a real Issue. How Drunks Killed and maimed people and how many Drones have Killed and Maimed. It's Over It really doesn't matter any more. Drones (Quads) are here and they ain't going away anytime soon, if Ever. Now whine about the RED Text
Interfering with a rescue operation and putting a man's life in danger is a non-issue? Causing the loss of hundreds of homes and dozen cars is a non-issue?

And rcmiket, thanks, that's the arrest I was referring to.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:33 AM
rgburrill

Originally Posted by init4fun
Hi RG ,

I started a thread in the drones subforum as well , and it hasn't received any attention either . My thread wasn't about the typical abuse of the technology we usually see that has folks riled , it was about a local TV station using a drone for news reporting . Thing is , this drone is being used 100% in accordance with the FAA's drone regs for commercial operations (part 107) and is being flown totally legally . If folks want to fly like jerks by all means they should be called out on it , but to see a TV station properly invest in the safe & legal use of drones is nothing short of great in my opinion .

I think the drone/fpv subforums were created far too late in the game here for them to catch on , the drone/fpv folks already have had their own dedicated forums since about a week after the first quad flew and aren't likely to abandon them to come here to our relatively inactive drone/fpv subforums .
Definitely. Also the lifeguards using drones to spot sharks in coastal waters and following FAA regulations doing it.
Old 02-03-2017, 03:19 PM
rcmiket

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-...-pride-parade/

Mike
Old 02-03-2017, 04:32 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Re-echoing a comment.

I wonder if it is this guy?
https://www.vividaa.com/who-we-are
Old 02-03-2017, 05:35 PM
init4fun

Definitely. Also the lifeguards using drones to spot sharks in coastal waters and following FAA regulations doing it.
RG , my hope is that once enough legitimate uses for drones are established and most folks come to realize that drones are a world away from our "traditional" model airplanes that there will be no "guilt by association" of the bad drone stories reflecting on our hobby . Sure , drones may have evolved from our humble RC model airplane beginnings but evolved they have into a new category of flight all their own . We build and fly our models of real airplanes because we like to , it's a hobby just to see it in the air and we do it for nothing more than the enjoyment of seeing our small copies of the real thing fly . The purpose built drone for either photography or deliveries or whatever is built for it's specialized task with no "fun" aspect attached to the flying whatsoever . Our RC planes truly are toys , "Big Boy's toys" for sure but toys nonetheless where the drone is a tool that uses flying ability to reach some other goal and the sooner the "drone as tool" thing is commonplace with the public the sooner I think we'll be not considered whenever a bad drone story happens due to how different we are .

Once they round up the rest of the pervs who would be using them to peek into folk's windows I think the drone fear thing will subside fairly quickly , especially when the Amazon delivery drone is regularly bringing Mr. & Mrs. Joe Q Public their latest and greatest must have widget 15 minutes after they've placed the order . Oh they'll love drones then alright , once they are satisfying the "gotta have it NOW!" urges of the "retail therapy" crowd ....
Old 02-04-2017, 12:07 PM
J330
My Feedback: (3)

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

RG , my hope is that once enough legitimate uses for drones are established and most folks come to realize that drones are a world away from our "traditional" model airplanes that there will be no "guilt by association" of the bad drone stories reflecting on our hobby . Sure , drones may have evolved from our humble RC model airplane beginnings but evolved they have into a new category of flight all their own . We build and fly our models of real airplanes because we like to , it's a hobby just to see it in the air and we do it for nothing more than the enjoyment of seeing our small copies of the real thing fly . The purpose built drone for either photography or deliveries or whatever is built for it's specialized task with no "fun" aspect attached to the flying whatsoever . Our RC planes truly are toys , "Big Boy's toys" for sure but toys nonetheless where the drone is a tool that uses flying ability to reach some other goal and the sooner the "drone as tool" thing is commonplace with the public the sooner I think we'll be not considered whenever a bad drone story happens due to how different we are .

Once they round up the rest of the pervs who would be using them to peek into folk's windows I think the drone fear thing will subside fairly quickly , especially when the Amazon delivery drone is regularly bringing Mr. & Mrs. Joe Q Public their latest and greatest must have widget 15 minutes after they've placed the order . Oh they'll love drones then alright , once they are satisfying the "gotta have it NOW!" urges of the "retail therapy" crowd ....
Sounds like you resist change, while others learned to accept it. This reminds me when a similar thread about kit vs ARF took place 15 years ago. Who won that debate for 2017? Not the kit modeler, that's for sure. Baby boomers are taking their vintage products to the elderly homes and the online orders (Not LHS) of savings and convenience are now the choice of the more able bodied. New technology has made life in many areas more convenient. The mom and pop shoe stores and Blockbuster video are both gone, making way for convenience. Welcome to progress. Drones, BNF foam EP "Planes" are here to stay and are a part of the RC hobby.

You might feel it's a rite of passage staying with your balsa kit or ARF but drones are nothing more than long distance, advanced heli's IMHO, camera or FPV adds to it's functionality for recreation and professional use. I bet you'll see kits and ARFs disappear first.

It's a few incidents of misuse that get blown out of proportion. No need to stereotype professionals and your fellow modelers for accepting new technology. The videos of landscapes, indoor racing, sure beat the Muppet Show men on the balcony complaining at someone with a fast plane that shows up on a Sunday. No thanks. I'll never enter another AMA field for the rest of my life. Hopefully they disappear too, obsolete, overpriced, and ready to be unplugged from life support. Just another side of the coin if you will.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:16 PM
init4fun

Sounds like you read my post all wrong , I don't resist change one bit and am looking forward to the time when drones are integrated and are recognized as the separate species of flying machine that they are . Just because I don't care to hobby fly them doesn't mean that I think they are somehow "bad" , anymore than I don't fly sailplanes and have no problem with them either .

In fact , the only "problem" I do have is with idiots who fly beyond the hobby use rules of any remote flying technology and bring bad press to us .

Now are there any other reading comprehension issues that need to be discussed here ?
Old 02-04-2017, 12:20 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by J330
Sounds like you resist change, while others learned to accept it. This reminds me when a similar thread about kit vs ARF took place 15 years ago. Who won that debate for 2017? Not the kit modeler, that's for sure. Baby boomers are taking their vintage products to the elderly homes and the online orders (Not LHS) of savings and convenience are now the choice of the more able bodied. New technology has made life in many areas more convenient. The mom and pop shoe stores and Blockbuster video are both gone, making way for convenience. Welcome to progress. Drones, BNF foam EP "Planes" are here to stay and are a part of the RC hobby.

You might feel it's a rite of passage staying with your balsa kit or ARF but drones are nothing more than long distance, advanced heli's IMHO, camera or FPV adds to it's functionality for recreation and professional use. I bet you'll see kits and ARFs disappear first.

It's a few incidents of misuse that get blown out of proportion. No need to stereotype professionals and your fellow modelers for accepting new technology. The videos of landscapes, indoor racing, sure beat the Muppet Show men on the balcony complaining at someone with a fast plane that shows up on a Sunday. No thanks. I'll never enter another AMA field for the rest of my life. Hopefully they disappear too, obsolete, overpriced, and ready to be unplugged from life support. Just another side of the coin if you will.

Wow.

Mike
Old 02-04-2017, 12:32 PM
init4fun

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Wow.

Mike
Yep , wow ....

Shame on the folks who hobby fly drones but don't follow the rules , it's their party that's about to be ended and they seem to like taking it out on those who haven't been causing the problems all these years . The unrestricted Beyond Line Of Sight is what I'm referring to here , the hobby world has no provision whatsoever for BLOS and to actually fly BLOS legally now requires operation under part 107 commercial rules . Maybe if they didn't make such menaces of themselves there wouldn't have had to have been an absolute no hobby BLOS rule from the FAA but there it is .
Old 02-04-2017, 12:36 PM
J330

Now are there any other reading comprehension issues that need to be discussed here ?
Keep the personal attacks down, you were already warned twice.

FAA took over, because they can enforce criminal consequences, which actually would be something you'd like, didn't you want drone pilots to be accountable and keep our name good?
Old 02-04-2017, 12:41 PM
init4fun

Funny I don't see any personal attack in calling out someone whose deliberately pretending to not understand what someone has wrote , and twisting folk's words to fit whatever agenda it is they are pushing .

Good Bye ...
Old 02-04-2017, 12:46 PM
init4fun

Wow.

Mike

So what do you think Mike , Once the hobby has returned by the FAA to good old Line of Sight flying , how many of the unrestricted BLOS folks do you think will actually follow the rules VS fly outside of the hobby's restrictions ? When the only allowed BLOS of any kind is part 107 then our hobby shouldn't have to worry about BLOS flyers because at the point of being BLOS they loose the ability to call themselves a hobby flight .

Last edited by init4fun; 02-04-2017 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:47 PM
J330

You might elaborate on these comments in bold that I was referring to. It has recreational uses all over the place, and many locally do not need an AMA field any longer, it's the next generation of RC.

Sounds like you read my post all wrong , I don't resist change one bit and am looking forward to the time when drones are integrated and are recognized as the separate species of flying machine that they are . Just because I don't care to hobby fly them doesn't mean that I think they are somehow "bad" , anymore than I don't fly sailplanes and have no problem with them either .

In fact , the only "problem" I do have is with idiots who fly beyond the hobby use rules of any remote flying technology and bring bad press to us .

Farewell.

Last edited by J330; 02-04-2017 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-04-2017, 01:32 PM
init4fun

So what do you think Mike , Once the hobby has returned by the FAA to good old Line of Sight flying , how many of the unrestricted BLOS folks do you think will actually follow the rules VS fly outside of the hobby's restrictions ? When the only allowed BLOS of any kind is part 107 then our hobby shouldn't have to worry about BLOS flyers because at the point of being BLOS they loose the ability to call themselves a hobby flight .
To sum this up , Drones or any other craft (easystar , etc) flying BLOS FPV per FAA part 107 , fine and sure thing ! The FAA will allow them BLOS within conditions of their filed flight plan . Drones or any other craft being flown under hobby rules have no BLOS provision and no born into "right" to hobby fly a random pattern BLOS through airspace that could be carrying manned flights . And that's exactly why the only recognized CBO's rules for FPV operations require at least one set of human eyes on the craft at all times .
Old 02-04-2017, 01:34 PM
rcmiket

So what do you think Mike ,

I think the hobby has suffered and will continue to be targeted due to the selfish, uncaring , childish, I'll do as I please crowd.

Mike
Old 02-04-2017, 01:50 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

I do totally agree Mike!
Old 02-04-2017, 02:09 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

These drone so called pilot's have just money investment in this hobby, we have years of building and learning in the hobby, respect for other's, I am teaching my grandson to fly and is taking time because of the challenges of the hobby, we were at the field one day awhile back before he ever flew a plane, and one of the guys there had a drone and asked him if he wanted to fly it, went over the control with him and he flew about five minutes with only one small crash, I don't know but where is the challenges in that? Boring!
Old 02-04-2017, 04:14 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by J330

FAA took over, because they can enforce criminal consequences, which actually would be something you'd like, didn't you want drone pilots to be accountable and keep our name good?

They haven't that's the problem the "threats" of BIG FINES and JAIL mean nothing unless they are actually used. Fire up a few of these idiots to the FULL extent of the law and see how quick the idiots get in line.

Mike
Old 02-04-2017, 06:52 PM
init4fun

They haven't that's the problem the "threats" of BIG FINES and JAIL mean nothing unless they are actually used. Fire up a few of these idiots to the FULL extent of the law and see how quick the idiots get in line.

Mike
Mike I'd be fine with that .

If folks can't follow part 107 to fly their BLOS , or think they are going to fly BLOS and claim a hobby exemption , then yea they're gonna have problems . I really have no beef with properly integrated UAS and don't see them as a major threat to us traditional RC hobbyists . If Amazon wants to deliver their widgets by part 107 legal drones and some photography outfit wants to take real estate photos commercially using FAA approved part 107 flights then they are doing UAS right and aren't going to be giving our hobby any black eyes . It's the people claiming to be hobbyists but who are flying beyond the FAA's mandate that a model aircraft is flown LOS only that bring disrepute , and it's those unrestricted flights that lots of these people seem to think they have some kind of "right" to be flying . The days of unrestricted BLOS hobby flights are what will end when the UAS integration is complete , us in our known model fields won't be affected but there will be no more BLOS wandering aimlessly in occupied airspace anymore , and hopefully then the peeking into windows will stop along with it ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.