Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 05:37 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well it wasn't out in the middle of nowhere, it was in a National Wildlife Refuge area.

Again, a lack of common sense award goes to the copter pilot resulting in more ammo to ban or limit operation for those of us who have common sense and follow the rules.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:57 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://nypost.com/2017/02/26/drone-s...rtment-window/

Mike
Old 02-27-2017, 12:44 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by rcmiket
My Question did the Owner/Pilot of the Drone (Quad) have his FAA Small UAS Certificate of Registration on his person and was that 10 digit Alphanumeric Number on the Drone?
If Not Why Not and If Not How the HE[[ going to catch the guy?
Old 02-27-2017, 01:57 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by HoundDog
My Question did the Owner/Pilot of the Drone (Quad) have his FAA Small UAS Certificate of Registration on his person and was that 10 digit Alphanumeric Number on the Drone?

I doubt it.was registered but I could be wrong so catching them is a issue. .

Mike
Old 02-27-2017, 03:16 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

No, They won't catch him. Second, he might not have the drone registered with the FAA, why would he if he knowingly violates the rules? Third. He was flat out wrong doing what he did.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:22 PM
flyinwalenda

Check the camera card. Good chance there's footage of the pilot in pics or in a video.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:58 AM
Flight Risk
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I checked out the GoPro Karma quad, and it says it has built in no-fly zones. Evidently Manhattan is all no-fly with a couple exceptions. Some good that did here.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:41 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
Check the camera card. Good chance there's footage of the pilot in pics or in a video.
A flying buddy bought that fold up Quad $1400 all up. It has has some sort of Geo Fencing won't go over 400 feet and when in a class of ar space restricted to drone flight it tells you so. but then he wouldn't fly there anyway.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:35 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Flight Risk
I checked out the GoPro Karma quad, and it says it has built in no-fly zones. Evidently Manhattan is all no-fly with a couple exceptions. Some good that did here.
Hi Flight Risk ,

So I guess the natural question here would be ; Does the operator have control of the "Geo fencing" feature ? If an operator can switch that feature off , well then it's only gonna help keep the honest flyer from straying into places his craft shouldn't be . Someone whose up to no good , if they can switch that off , will of course do so and fly wherever they want to , illegally , and cause all kinds of these "bad bad drone" stories .

When you look at it statistically , if there really ARE "millions" of drones out there , the fact that these bad drone operator stories are still relatively few compared to all the other crimes that get reported , I'd say a vast majority of the drone flyers are flying with respect , and of course it's the small number of "bad apples" that get all the attention .

My 80 year old flying buddy has been into drones since they first came out , and not once has he flown in front of a jetliner or into someone's window , ditto for me and my old warbirds (my RC of choice) ...
Old 03-02-2017, 03:35 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by init4fun
Hi Flight Risk ,

So I guess the natural question here would be ; Does the operator have control of the "Geo fencing" feature ? If an operator can switch that feature off , well then it's only gonna help keep the honest flyer from straying into places his craft shouldn't be . Someone whose up to no good , if they can switch that off , will of course do so and fly wherever they want to , illegally , and cause all kinds of these "bad bad drone" stories .

When you look at it statistically , if there really ARE "millions" of drones out there , the fact that these bad drone operator stories are still relatively few compared to all the other crimes that get reported , I'd say a vast majority of the drone flyers are flying with respect , and of course it's the small number of "bad apples" that get all the attention .

My 80 year old flying buddy has been into drones since they first came out , and not once has he flown in front of a jetliner or into someone's window , ditto for me and my old warbirds (my RC of choice) ...
So there's millions of speeders, red light runners drunk drivers and gang bangers. We should worry more about the real world and forget the what if's

Now tell me this doesn't look like a lit of fun and U don't even need an FAA Drone Certificate.
https://www.facebook.com/thedronerac...6262414148280/
Old 03-02-2017, 03:38 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

So there's millions of speeders, red light runners drunk drivers and gang bangers. We should worry more about the real world and forget the what if's
Read my post again .....

You missed my point entirely , or was it really my post you were responding to ?
Old 03-02-2017, 04:42 PM
flyinwalenda

Yes they do have the altitude and distance limits and all of the ones I set up are set at 400' up and 400' out and the owners are told not to fly above 400' and not to take it out beyond line of sight, etc...etc...
Now once they get home they can change those limits if they want to. Some folks will do what they want to do.

The no-fly-zones are being updated and the copters will not even initialize if inside a zone and there is no way to force it to fly.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:58 PM
rcmiket

The no-fly-zones are being updated and the copters will not even initialize if inside a zone and there is no way to force it to fly.
I welcome that but feel it's away's off. You'll still have the build it a home crowd that will continue to do as they please.

Mike
Old 03-02-2017, 05:48 PM
flyinwalenda

True however the majority of the knuckleheads making the headlines are flying store-bought copters and all(at least I think all) of them now have the updated no-fly-zones.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:05 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

And this makes a difference why?
Just because it's included in the package doesn't mean the purchaser has to read it
Old 03-02-2017, 06:30 PM
Flight Risk

Originally Posted by init4fun
Hi Flight Risk ,

So I guess the natural question here would be ; Does the operator have control of the "Geo fencing" feature ? If an operator can switch that feature off , well then it's only gonna help keep the honest flyer from straying into places his craft shouldn't be . ...
It makes me wonder if this pilot was trying to sneak a peak in the window of the 66 yo lady or what the frick they were up to. I guess it could've been out of control. It would take a pretty good whack to break a high-rise window.
Old 03-03-2017, 03:51 AM
flyinwalenda

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
And this makes a difference why?
Just because it's included in the package doesn't mean the purchaser has to read it
They don't even have to know how to read.
If the copter is in/near a nfz it will not arm or fly. Now that won't stop them from getting into trouble elsewhere.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:04 AM
astrohog

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They don't even have to know how to read.
If the copter is in/near a nfz it will not arm or fly. Now that won't stop them from getting into trouble elsewhere.
The geo-fencing is easily disabled.

Astro
Old 03-03-2017, 05:34 AM
flyinwalenda

Originally Posted by astrohog
The geo-fencing is easily disabled.

Astro
That is true just like I stated in an earlier post. The nfz is not .
The fence settings have nothing to do with the nfz setting. The average Joe and Suzy credit-card-flyer's commercially available camera copter of late will not fly near or inside a no-fly-zone.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:14 AM
astrohog

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The nfz is not .
I beg to differ. Just one of many ways to easily defeat the NFZ and geo restrictions

http://www.coptersafe.com/product/nfz-mod-phantom-4/

Regards,

Astro
Old 03-03-2017, 06:15 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by rcmiket
I welcome that but feel it's away's off. You'll still have the build it a home crowd that will continue to do as they please.

Mike
Everyone I know capable of building their own Quad is a responsible flyer. Sure there are some 'Roughs' out there but I'd say the more dangerous is t the guy that goes to Best Buy and buys a $300 toy for his 8 year old son that never read any FAA things like 'Know before u Fly'.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:28 AM
rcmiket

Everyone I know capable of building their own Quad is a responsible flyer. Sure there are some 'Roughs' out there but I'd say the more dangerous is t the guy that goes to Best Buy and buys a $300 toy for his 8 year old son that never read any FAA things like 'Know before u Fly'.
I would imagine ( but I've been wrong before ) any of us hobbyist's that know quad builders are hobbyist's it's the ones not actual hobbyist's I'm referring too. Been my experience ( dealing with them at the shop) that the number of BB $300 buyers will crash right outta the box and it will end up in a closet way before they can become a issue.
Hope that makes sense.
Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 03-03-2017 at 06:31 AM.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:35 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by astrohog
I beg to differ. Just one of many ways to easily defeat the NFZ and geo restrictions

http://www.coptersafe.com/product/nfz-mod-phantom-4/

Regards,

Astro
U can by Radar and Laser Detectors, or a Chip to improve performance of your vehicle to out run cop cars too. The fact of the matter is that U won't/can't stop some one determined to break the law. It's called a 'FREE' Society. Now that one certain political party is out of power we don't have to worry that they will attempt to take our guns away just because there is a criminal element that refuses to abide by existing laws. The same seems to be true with the FAA and Drones. They aren't trying to eliminate all R/C Flying any more or for the near future.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:06 AM
Flight Risk

It's called a 'FREE' Society. Now that one certain political party is out of power we don't have to worry that they will attempt to take our guns away just because there is a criminal element that refuses to abide by existing laws. The same seems to be true with the FAA and Drones. They aren't trying to eliminate all R/C Flying any more or for the near future.
First of all, no political party was trying to eliminate R/C flying (or your precious guns), it was the FAA who rightfully has concerns.
Second, we now have much worse things to worry about now.

RS
Old 03-03-2017, 11:15 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Flight Risk
First of all, no political party was trying to eliminate R/C flying (or your precious guns), it was the FAA who rightfully has concerns.
Second, we now have much worse things to worry about now.

RS

Actually the legislative branch held hearings and demanded the FAA deal with the whole thing. While not elimination they did want regulation.

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.