Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Old 03-11-2017, 04:51 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

sounds like yall might want to keep a camera filming him every time he flys, if that keeps his crashes away from folks.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:41 PM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Oh he's crashed in the pits several times just not on camera. So have others but not like this guy.
Well your video didn't show that did it? I based my opinion as far as safety on what I saw. Again I'll ask what club rules did he violate on the video posted?

Mike
Old 03-11-2017, 05:42 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by mongo
sounds like yall might want to keep a camera filming him every time he flys, if that keeps his crashes away from folks.
Sound advise.

Mike
Old 03-12-2017, 06:31 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Well your video didn't show that did it? I based my opinion as far as safety on what I saw. Again I'll ask what club rules did he violate on the video posted?

Mike

Didn't violate any rules except when he crashed behind the, as they call it at the Arizona Model Aviators Superstition Air Park in Mesa/Apache Junction AZ, The 'DEAD LINE'. South edge of the taxi way in front of the Pilot stations.
Mikie it isn't the violation of any rules but incompetent flying that puts him self and every one else in jeopardy. Again because he and others haven't broken any rules what can the powers that be really do as long as no one has been Killed or Injured YET.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:15 AM
rcmiket

Mikie it isn't the violation of any rules but incompetent flying that puts him self and every one else in jeopardy. Again because he and others haven't broken any rules what can the powers that be really do as long as no one has been Killed or Injured YET."

Bad pilots are just part of the hobby. I noticed the guy is flying on 72 just how old is that video and is the guy still active? Also seems like in every instance you all are aware of the situation and he's the only one in the air. So apparently you guys are aware so sit back and watch the show. In a earlier post I believe you mentioned the below.

"
None of witch really do much about these guys that are Icomponent flyers or just disregard rules and safety in general. 3 years ago I complained about the situations that existed at my home field and it got so bad that people wouldn't talk to me. I gave up and now things are more tranquil but still they refuse to make waves. "

Speaking as a club officer there's only so much we can. Violation of rules is one thing but bad pilots is another.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 03-12-2017 at 07:20 AM.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:13 PM
HoundDog

An Interesting way the rest of the world looks at Drones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CaOS1wTDAs#t=10.735512
Old 04-26-2017, 09:37 AM
HoundDog

Rupprecht Law P.A.

I created an Ultimate Guide to Drone Events page that lists drone events all around the world. This is great for planning trips (or vacations so you can write off some of it as a business trip) because it shows locations on an interactive map and also by date.

I will actually be speaking in person at one of the events and virtually at two of the events coming up. Make sure to check them out!
Old 05-30-2017, 01:03 PM
HoundDog

Today at 2:08 PM

In case you haven't heard, the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that the drone registration regulations (Part 48) do not apply to Section 336 model aircraft.

Everyone had a bunch of questions regarding this case. So I updated the previous article that I sent out last week. I included much more helpful info.

https://jrupprechtlaw.com/drone-registration-lawsu...

Here is the Table of Contents

Why This Drone Registration Lawsuit Was Important
Who Is Affected By This Ruling?
Where Are We Going from Here?
Taylor v. FAA - Part 2
The Academy of Model Aeronautics Lawsuit
How the Court Ruled:
Issues Raised in the Drone Registration Lawsuit the Court did NOT Rule On.
Questions Left Unanswered
John Taylor and I talking about the Case on SUASNEWS:
Who Has Taken What Side In The Drone Registration Case Ruling
Myths and Misconceptions Surround this Ruling
Myth 1 - Recreational Drones Are Now Completely Unregulated.
Myth 2 - The FAA CANNOT Do Anything to Model Aircraft Flyers
Myth 3 - You Took Away a Good Tool for Finding the Bad Guys!
1. History Repeating Itself.
2. Aircraft Registration Deficiencies Identified by Congress and the FAA
3. Comparison of Registry Deficiencies from the DEA ACT to Part 48
4. Not All Drones Are Registered
5. Many Reasons Why This Part 48 Registration Would Not Work.
Myth 4 - This Was Necessary For Security!
Myth 5 – This Was Necessary For Safety!
Myth 6 - Any Substantial Education that could have been received by those Registering is Now Gone!
Myth 7 - We Needed Registration to Help Prosecute the Bad Actors.
How this Ruling is a Good Thing
Suggestions for the FAA
Suggestions for the Industry
Suggestions for Flyers
Actual Text of the Court's Opinion with my Emphasis
Old 05-30-2017, 01:11 PM
HoundDog

Guess what happened yesterday. The Important peple in one of my clubs started discussing DRONE FPV and how he is researching the best bang for the buck. Now he's a Club Officer and big GS War Bird flyer. If he and a couple of other IMPORTANT club members get into FPV and DRONES I'll bet a lot more do to. One member that lives less than a mile from the field and can see it from his front yard said there have been a number of new or unknown flyers setting out a drone FPV course later in the evening. Looks like Drones and FPV are here to stay, no matter how anyone feels. If it flies by remote it will have a place in the AMA.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:34 PM
rcmiket

Guess what happened yesterday. The Important peple in one of my clubs started discussing DRONE FPV and how he is researching the best bang for the buck. Now he's a Club Officer and big GS War Bird flyer. If he and a couple of other IMPORTANT club members get into FPV and DRONES I'll bet a lot more do to. One member that lives less than a mile from the field and can see it from his front yard said there have been a number of new or unknown flyers setting out a drone FPV course later in the evening. Looks like Drones and FPV are here to stay, no matter how anyone feels. If it flies by remote it will have a place in the AMA.
It will either survive or die off one of the two. I had no idea there where " important club members" how does one get that designation?

Mike
Old 05-30-2017, 05:08 PM
Flight Risk
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been a club officer for 8 years. Not sure how important I am, but some of us do get big heads. You wouldn't believe the number of requests we get to use our field for all types of drone training, and related activities. We used to consider these, but discovered it's not worth the trouble and liability with insurance and all. We now just tell everyone we just can't get involved with commercial activities.

Rod Sage
Arvada Associated Modelers
Events Coordinator
Old 05-31-2017, 02:58 AM
HoundDog

It will either survive or die off one of the two. I had no idea there where " important club members" how does one get that designation?

Mike
U have to be in the 'In Crowd' They's the Important peoples.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:32 AM
rcmiket

U have to be in the 'In Crowd' They's the Important peoples.
Thanks.

Mike
Old 05-31-2017, 07:02 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I think all clubs have an "In Crowd". The boating club I belong to has a group of about 10 that have what amounts to "VETO" power. If something gets brought up that they don't like or approve of, they say something that shoots it down and it's gone. Unfortunately, you can't say anything to overrule them because the rest of the group jumps up and defends the one being challenged
Old 06-06-2017, 01:35 PM
HoundDog

You might have heard a bunch of hooplah about a bill Senator Feinstein introduced into the Senate. There are some very problematic provisions to the act which make it bad for drone businesses and also for the freedom model aircrafy flyers enjoy.

Find out more about the Drone Federalism Act of 2017 (Senate Bill 1272) and why you should get your elected officials to not support it.

P.S. You might have heard Trump introduced a plan to privatize ATC. I'm currently working on an article on this topic and how that can influence the drone industry. Stay tuned.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:29 AM
Sport_Pilot

HD you found your grammar!
Old 06-10-2017, 07:40 AM
tommydrone

Default I made my own Range Extender and it works good too!

Ok so where I am, the range is not good.
It cuts out past 200 feet So I made my own range extender, and I think it works good too! It really works I can't at this time test it to see just how good, But if you have a plastic 10 dollar curved range extender now, can you also compare it to a CD or make it yourself and tell us what you found? I think this set up really works. Try it yourself.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:54 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by tommydrone
Ok so where I am, the range is not good.
It cuts out past 200 feet So I made my own range extender, and I think it works good too! It really works I can't at this time test it to see just how good, But if you have a plastic 10 dollar curved range extender now, can you also compare it to a CD or make it yourself and tell us what you found? I think this set up really works. Try it yourself.
Tommy I think you may have missed the point of this thread . This thread is a thread where folks are discussing all the bad things drone pilots do , and the disrepute their misdeeds are bringing on the hobby of flying aircraft by remote control , hence the thread title ; "Another drone pilot does it again" . Now of course there is one poster here who is absolutely insistent on posting up how drones will save the world after each post that calls out some misbehavior or other on the part of a drone pilot , but for the most part this is not a "oh how wonderful is this new technology" thread and more of a "drones will be the hobby's ruin" type of thread .

So , if you scroll down to the next major subheading on the forum frontpage , you will find a drone specific subforum where folks will be somewhat more receptive of your range extender rather than coming here and telling folks who don't like drones how great it is that you've managed to extend your drone's flying range (which of course is one of the major misdeeds being discussed here , that of flying any remote controlled aircraft beyond your physical line of sight) .

I wish you well in your endeavors and please don't do anything stupid with this newfound range extension , what you think is just peachy may be the very thing someone is looking for to use to add even more regulation to us , if for example your newfound range ends up taking you over a stadium full of people ......
Old 06-14-2017, 02:24 PM
GerKonig

Originally Posted by init4fun
Tommy I think you may have missed the point of this thread . This thread is a thread where folks are discussing all the bad things drone pilots do , and the disrepute their misdeeds are bringing on the hobby of flying aircraft by remote control , hence the thread title ; "Another drone pilot does it again" . Now of course there is one poster here who is absolutely insistent on posting up how drones will save the world after each post that calls out some misbehavior or other on the part of a drone pilot , but for the most part this is not a "oh how wonderful is this new technology" thread and more of a "drones will be the hobby's ruin" type of thread .

So , if you scroll down to the next major subheading on the forum frontpage , you will find a drone specific subforum where folks will be somewhat more receptive of your range extender rather than coming here and telling folks who don't like drones how great it is that you've managed to extend your drone's flying range (which of course is one of the major misdeeds being discussed here , that of flying any remote controlled aircraft beyond your physical line of sight) .

I wish you well in your endeavors and please don't do anything stupid with this newfound range extension , what you think is just peachy may be the very thing someone is looking for to use to add even more regulation to us , if for example your newfound range ends up taking you over a stadium full of people ......
OK, so in it not 4 fun, like a doom and gloom thread? I see... Good that you have your own thread.

Gerry
Old 06-14-2017, 06:48 PM
init4fun

Originally Posted by GerKonig
OK, so in it not 4 fun, like a doom and gloom thread? I see... Good that you have your own thread.

Gerry
Gerry to tell you the truth , I DO see great potential in the properly used commercial drone , but no sir , the hobbyist drone being flown beyond it's operators direct line of sight is an accident waiting to happen that our hobby doesn't need the black eye over . You wanna fly hobby based FPV following ALL of the AMA doc. #550 rules ? God bless ya , enjoy your drone and hell yea I'd love to take a try at flying AMA #550 legal FPV sometime . But if your gonna try to somehow defend the hobby based beyond line of sight use of this technology , save you keystrokes cause both the FAA and the AMA say that hobby drone being flown beyond it's operator's direct line of sight = not legal to the FAA and not covered by AMA insurance . All these years the RC model aircraft hobby has been pretty good about generally following the rules so as to not make a repeated nuisance of ourselves . Since this new ability of the flying camera came along , it seems the folks interested in actual aviation are the ones "doing it right" (following AMA #550 , for ex) VS the "It's like my video game , and I'm such an awesome pilot I can fly wherever I want" type who are flying them into buildings and will move onto the next fad hobby once they've ruined this one .

It's kinda like (full sized) racecars . You wanna own one and drive it on the track racing other racecars ? Hell yea , sounds like fun ! You wanna own one and drive it on the street ? Well then your "part of the problem" as it were , since with both racecars AND drones it's all about use , using and having fun with them in the way the established protocols say makes the most safety sense .

Or maybe your "fun" doesn't begin till your breaking the rules and endangering innocent folks , because your such an awesome pilot and nothing bad will ever happen with your drone ?
Old 06-15-2017, 05:14 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Gerry to tell you the truth , I DO see great potential in the properly used commercial drone , but no sir , the hobbyist drone being flown beyond it's operators direct line of sight is an accident waiting to happen that our hobby doesn't need the black eye over . You wanna fly hobby based FPV following ALL of the AMA doc. #550 rules ? God bless ya , enjoy your drone and hell yea I'd love to take a try at flying AMA #550 legal FPV sometime . But if your gonna try to somehow defend the hobby based beyond line of sight use of this technology , save you keystrokes cause both the FAA and the AMA say that hobby drone being flown beyond it's operator's direct line of sight = not legal to the FAA and not covered by AMA insurance . All these years the RC model aircraft hobby has been pretty good about generally following the rules so as to not make a repeated nuisance of ourselves . Since this new ability of the flying camera came along , it seems the folks interested in actual aviation are the ones "doing it right" (following AMA #550 , for ex) VS the "It's like my video game , and I'm such an awesome pilot I can fly wherever I want" type who are flying them into buildings and will move onto the next fad hobby once they've ruined this one .

It's kinda like (full sized) racecars . You wanna own one and drive it on the track racing other racecars ? Hell yea , sounds like fun ! You wanna own one and drive it on the street ? Well then your "part of the problem" as it were , since with both racecars AND drones it's all about use , using and having fun with them in the way the established protocols say makes the most safety sense .

Or maybe your "fun" doesn't begin till your breaking the rules and endangering innocent folks , because your such an awesome pilot and nothing bad will ever happen with your drone ?
WELL SAID, SIR!!!

Astro
Old 06-15-2017, 05:22 AM
rcmiket

Great post.

Mike
Old 06-22-2017, 05:01 PM
HoundDog

tommydrone Aren't glad U found this thread. At one of the clubs I fly at has a school grounds about 5/8 mile SW on the other side of a 4 lane road. There 4 gentleman that fly there and do FPV. Several times one has flown over our field at about 100 feet. One of our club members (a very good friend) has expressed his opinions much like most of the people here. He has yet to do any thing about it though. I don't see the big deal. If someone flying at our field can't avoid other planes then Maybe they should fly alone. We do fly on a full scale airport but maybe 3 take offs and landings a week. What I'm Saying this FPV is no more a hazard than any other model flying here. I know I'm going to get lambasted here but BLOS is and will become commonplace intime. Birds are a million to one a grater hazard than any BLOS FPV. This is my opinion as a Instrument rated full scale pilot. Yes out 8 miles and at 5000 feet they would be a hazard, but not at a few hundred feet AGL a mile out. Actually they are not beyond LOS because we can see them when they are flying over the school grounds.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:32 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by GerKonig

Gerry

So Gerry , nothing to say to my response ? When someone's "fun" comes at the expense of a safety threat to uninvolved folks , that's where I draw the line . Take skiing , for example . The only person the skier is ever gonna hurt is either himself or perhaps another skier on the same trail , and ALL skiers know that being hit by an out of control skier is a (tiny percentage wise) threat to a skier's safety when out skiing . It's a known , assumed risk when participating in that hobby . Same goes for flying RC aircraft in the good ol "traditional" club way . There is always the (tiny percentage wise) chance of being struck by an out of control RC aircraft but everybody (with half a whit of common sense) knows that's one of the inherent risks of our hobby also . But now look at the hobby based BLOS flyer (no matter WHAT craft is carrying the camera) , he (or she) is flying over SCORES of uninvolved people any of whom are at unknowing risk of being hit by an errant BLOS aircraft , without ever giving their consent to being exposed to such risk ! Sorry pal , but I DO NOT believe you or any other hobby entity have the right to endanger uninvolved folks , no "Iffs , ands , or buts" !

Originally Posted by astrohog
WELL SAID, SIR!!!

Astro
Great post.

Mike
Thank You Astro and Mike , I'm happy to know that at least some folks out here see the danger to our hobby that BLOS hobby flight presents .

tommydrone Aren't glad U found this thread. At one of the clubs I fly at has a school grounds about 5/8 mile SW on the other side of a 4 lane road. There 4 gentleman that fly there and do FPV. Several times one has flown over our field at about 100 feet. One of our club members (a very good friend) has expressed his opinions much like most of the people here. He has yet to do any thing about it though. I don't see the big deal. If someone flying at our field can't avoid other planes then Maybe they should fly alone. We do fly on a full scale airport but maybe 3 take offs and landings a week. What I'm Saying this FPV is no more a hazard than any other model flying here. I know I'm going to get lambasted here but BLOS is and will become commonplace intime. Birds are a million to one a grater hazard than any BLOS FPV. This is my opinion as a Instrument rated full scale pilot. Yes out 8 miles and at 5000 feet they would be a hazard, but not at a few hundred feet AGL a mile out. Actually they are not beyond LOS because we can see them when they are flying over the school grounds.
And this , good grief , this .....

Hound , buddy , there is no way in whats left of either of our lifespans that we'll ever see totally legal & FAA condoned BLOS hobby flight of any kind of model aircraft . Period . Now commercial operations ? Sure thing , I believe the FAA has already established the protocols for various commercial interests to do that , but hobby use BLOS ? Being legally flown ? Cows will come home , and leave again before ya ever see that

Last edited by init4fun; 06-23-2017 at 07:35 AM.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:36 AM
HoundDog

Speaking of putting others at risk of being killed ... I certainly hope that none of U ever, have or do Speed. Speed Kills. Far more dangerous to speed, by 1 million percent, than by some little foamie or Quad killing U because it's flown BLOS. In fact no one has been killed to date by something flown BLOS. There many instances of AMA members suffering injury by other AMA members, and killed by model planes supposedly being flown under the auspices of a CBO. Just a FACT.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.