Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Old 09-23-2017, 03:52 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drone hits military chopper over Midland Beach, Staten Island | abc7ny.com

Mike
Old 09-23-2017, 04:24 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the magnifying glass has temporarily moved from drones to the ocean-going ships that apparently cannot navigate without hitting one another!

Regards,

Astro
Old 09-23-2017, 06:31 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"An Army Black Hawk helicopter was struck by a drone" .... Just Who Hit Who? Does a 'Bird Strike' hit the plane or does the Plane hit the Bird?
Old 09-23-2017, 06:59 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
"An Army Black Hawk helicopter was struck by a drone" .... Just Who Hit Who? Does a 'Bird Strike' hit the plane or does the Plane hit the Bird?
Which came first , the chicken or the egg ......

One thing's for sure , lets say , just for the sake of discussion , that the authorities knew the identities of both the military pilot and of the person operating the drone ......

Who do YOU think , Mr. Hound Dog , would be the one to face charges over the incident ? (anyone else can feel free to answer , but I think Hound's answer may well be , , priceless ! )
Old 09-23-2017, 08:42 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by astrohog
I think the magnifying glass has temporarily moved from drones to the ocean-going ships that apparently cannot navigate without hitting one another!

Regards,

Astro
Astro my friend I'm left with only three possible reasons for the ocean bound crashes that make any real sense ;

1 = Incompetence . Could these folks be SO inept as to fail to navigate properly ? Or , could it be ;

2 = Bravado . "I'm in command of a United States war ship , that lowly tanker had BEST get outta MY way !" Or , could perhaps ;

3 = Someone be purposefully messing around with the GPS signals and or other computer hardware ? Could it be either terrorist activity or just plain ol malcontent hackers ?

And if per wild outside chance it WAS #3 , I highly doubt our government would want us to know just how fallible the present day electronic controls are , better to let the public think it was a bumbling skipper rather than cast doubt on this wonderful GPS system that we're all supposed to trust to be driving our cars for us in the very near future !
Old 09-23-2017, 09:36 AM
rcmiket

Don't know but a 500 feet the drone pilot is at fault.

Mike
Old 09-23-2017, 03:01 PM
F.Imbriaco
My Feedback: (56)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Army Blackhawk with full crew. Drone flying from a residential neighborhood in Staten Island ,NY at 500 ft.
Blackhawk: Damage to rotor blade. Drone Motor and prop pieces stuck in oil cooler. The military investigating. This could have been catastrophic.
With the almost ever present 30 mile fight restrictions over NJ due to Trump visits, things about to get worse.
THANKS AMA
Old 09-23-2017, 03:40 PM
astrohog

Originally Posted by init4fun
Astro my friend I'm left with only three possible reasons for the ocean bound crashes that make any real sense ;

1 = Incompetence . Could these folks be SO inept as to fail to navigate properly ? Or , could it be ;

2 = Bravado . "I'm in command of a United States war ship , that lowly tanker had BEST get outta MY way !" Or , could perhaps ;

3 = Someone be purposefully messing around with the GPS signals and or other computer hardware ? Could it be either terrorist activity or just plain ol malcontent hackers ?

And if per wild outside chance it WAS #3 , I highly doubt our government would want us to know just how fallible the present day electronic controls are , better to let the public think it was a bumbling skipper rather than cast doubt on this wonderful GPS system that we're all supposed to trust to be driving our cars for us in the very near future !
I tend to think it is along the lines of #3. I am sure that there are some sort of GPS "jamming" devices out there that could cause one (or more) of these ships to be somewhere other than where they "think" they are! And I do not think it is beyond reasonable to believe that there are countries and terror groups that would use this against us. If for nothing else, just so we have a little egg on our faces!

What I cannot understand is:
IF we know there is a possibility that someone can mess with our GPS guidance (ESPECIALLY our Military), WHY, pray tell, do we not have someone onboard that is using traditional navigational means to check on the computers?

Can't keep huge, behemoth ships from colliding and they want to put autonomous vehicles on our public roads, highways and Interstates? Lord help us all!!!

Seems there ARE bigger fish to fry than those of us that like to fly our old-fashioned radio-control airplanes!!!

Regards,

Astro
Old 09-23-2017, 04:12 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

I know a lot of people are oblivious to what goes on around them but If the "drone" was flown los then how did the pilot not hear and/or see a blackhawk heli closing in?
Old 09-23-2017, 04:20 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
I know a lot of people are oblivious to what goes on around them but If the "drone" was flown los then how did the pilot not hear and/or see a blackhawk heli closing in?
I'm guessing he didn't give a crap. Blackhawks ain't the quietest heli around either.

Mike
Old 09-23-2017, 04:47 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Me thinks he was probably "flying" it looking at the screen and with the high latency of the streaming, by the time he saw / if he saw the heli on the screen they already collided.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:56 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Which came first , the chicken or the egg ......

One thing's for sure , lets say , just for the sake of discussion , that the authorities knew the identities of both the military pilot and of the person operating the drone ......

Who do YOU think , Mr. Hound Dog , would be the one to face charges over the incident ? (anyone else can feel free to answer , but I think Hound's answer may well be , , priceless ! )
Read my statement again .... Itsn't say anything about wright or wrong it is a statement that whom ever wrote the artical doesn't get his facts stright of who hit who.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:59 AM
init4fun

Read my statement again .... Itsn't say anything about wright or wrong it is a statement that whom ever wrote the artical doesn't get his facts stright of who hit who.
In the case of one who is truly faultless , like the odd "Apples & Oranges" comparison you made about a birdstrike , it is always that the plane hit the bird , BECAUSE THE BIRD WAS SUPPOSED TO BE THERE !

Now , with the case that Mike posted about , of a drone striking a military helicopter , since the helicopter WAS supposed to be there , and the lousy POS drone WAS NOT supposed to be there , it's obvious to all who don't have some "Drones are GREAT !!!!" agenda to push (repeatedly , obnoxiously) exactly whom hit whom .

How's THAT for determining fault ........
Old 09-24-2017, 10:40 AM
init4fun

A further thought on this drones hitting stuff they shouldn't business ;

Since these "bad bad drone" stories first began hitting the news maybe 5 or so years ago , how many have their been ? 5 ? Or more ? and how about throwing in the stories where unauthorized drones got in the way of firefighting & other public service operations , what maybe 20 or so stories all in all ? Maybe more ?

Now , in that same timeframe , just how many of these stories involved what some past members here scornfully called "traditional" RC flying ? You know what I'm talking about , some guy with an RC P-51 Mustang causing firefighting operations to be grounded till the area is clear ? Oh , there weren't any of those kinda stories ? Maybe once in a blue moon an out of control RC has caused damage , but that's the whole point , there is no comparing the relatively few instances of malfunction caused damage VS the kinds of misuse caused damage being brought by the improper* use of this technology .

*unrestricted hobby beyond line of sight flight .

I rest my case .
Old 09-25-2017, 01:26 PM
Sport_Pilot

Why did the heli not crash and burn? I thought everybody said they would. Just a nick on the blade. The oil cooler didn't even have a leak.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:45 PM
init4fun

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Why did the heli not crash and burn? I thought everybody said they would. Just a nick on the blade. The oil cooler didn't even have a leak.
Hi Sport ,

A very good question indeed , and the best answer I can come up with is ; "Pure , sheer , raw , unadulterated , luck !"

My Friend , as has also been stated many times in the past , it's no 100% certainty that every strike will result in damage enough to cause death . Who knows ? Maybe you can hit a chopper 1000 times with a drone before one finds the "sweet spot" that will doom the flight . I sure as Hell wouldn't want to be the guy one number after ol number 999 , that's for sure
Old 09-25-2017, 04:37 PM
rcmiket

" Why did the heli not crash and burn? I thought everybody said they would. Just a nick on the blade. The oil cooler didn't even have a leak. "

Maybe you'll get your wish next time.That's the most ridiculous thing you've posted. I guess your siding with the drone pilot.

Mike
Old 09-25-2017, 06:44 PM
astrohog

Originally Posted by rcmiket
That's the most ridiculous thing you've posted. I guess your siding with the drone pilot.

Mike
It must not have happened if the Blackhawk didn't crash. Just another one of those anti-droner, conspiracy theory things.

Regards,

Astro
Old 09-26-2017, 05:38 AM
Sport_Pilot

Hi Sport ,

A very good question indeed , and the best answer I can come up with is ; "Pure , sheer , raw , unadulterated , luck !"

My Friend , as has also been stated many times in the past , it's no 100% certainty that every strike will result in damage enough to cause death . Who knows ? Maybe you can hit a chopper 1000 times with a drone before one finds the "sweet spot" that will doom the flight . I sure as Hell wouldn't want to be the guy one number after ol number 999 , that's for sure
Not luck at all. Most drones are just too small to cause any serious damage. In fact I told everybody it would be a long time coming and it will cause very little damage.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:51 AM
rcmiket

Not luck at all. Most drones are just too small to cause any serious damage. In fact I told everybody it would be a long time coming and it will cause very little damage.
Interesting that in your eyes just because it hasn't happened means it can't.
Mike
Old 09-26-2017, 07:03 AM
fliers1

Old 09-27-2017, 06:41 PM
Sport_Pilot

Interesting that in your eyes just because it hasn't happened means it can't.
Mike
It can but the chances are way to small to be restricting our hobby!! That is the point.
Old 09-28-2017, 04:36 AM
rcmiket

It can but the chances are way to small to be restricting our hobby!! That is the point.
OK, now why not toss out a number that is acceptable as far as risk.

Mike
Old 09-28-2017, 07:04 AM
Sport_Pilot

Serious accident is probably over billion to one. With some education. No need to ground RC aircraft.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:07 AM
Sport_Pilot

" Why did the heli not crash and burn? I thought everybody said they would. Just a nick on the blade. The oil cooler didn't even have a leak. "

Maybe you'll get your wish next time.That's the most ridiculous thing you've posted. I guess your siding with the drone pilot.

Mike
Look at the pic. All it did was nic the composite material and exposed the titanium leading edge strip. I saw something similar but a bit smaller and they just feathered out the area and flew. Now maybe they flew to a base that could replace or repair the blade I don't know.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.