Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

How about this?!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

How about this?!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 07:57 AM
JohnShe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Since when was a stadium an aviation activity?
Apparently, the FAA believes that flying a drone over a stadium full of people creates a dangerous situation. I kind of agree with the FAA on this.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:02 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by phlpsfrnk
Ira d,
Do you think suing the organization you wish to be "working" with is conducive to a good working relationship?

Frank
Obviously it would be better if the FAA was working in good faith with the AMA but IMO currently they are not and I think they pushed the AMA into a corner.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:07 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bradpaul
To put forth the idea that

or

implies a motive or intent that just is not there.......................... it is simple ignorance at play.

Sure it is easy to say that there is some sort of conspiracy to damage LOS RC, simple but in this case just plain wrong.
I meant that the rogue drone flyers were inadvertently damaging the image and also the self governing relationship we have maintained with the FAA through the years.
I never figured that someone would interpret my statement to mean that I know of a subversive, coordinated group of drone flyer "Hit Men" whose ultimate goal is to destroy the AMA and LOS flying.
I expected resonably minded folk to interpret what I said that Rogue Drone Activities create inadvertent consequences that are damaging to the rest of us.
Like another guy's signature line says, anyone who is determined to misconstrue what I've written will surely find a way to do so, no matter how carefully I try to select my words.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:30 AM
BobbyMcGee

Originally Posted by combatpigg
I meant that the rogue drone flyers were inadvertently damaging the image and also the self governing relationship we have maintained with the FAA through the years.
I never figured that someone would interpret my statement to mean that I know of a subversive, coordinated group of drone flyer "Hit Men" whose ultimate goal is to destroy the AMA and LOS flying.
I expected resonably minded folk to interpret what I said that Rogue Drone Activities create inadvertent consequences that are damaging to the rest of us.
Like another guy's signature line says, anyone who is determined to misconstrue what I've written will surely find a way to do so, no matter how carefully I try to select my words.
So, if I'm reading this correctly, you are saying that chocolate chip cookies are better than oatmeal cookies?
Old 11-05-2014, 08:44 AM
BobbyMcGee

Originally Posted by acdii
I can understand their reasoning for NOTAMs in most cases, but this one, over Disney, is just plain ridiculous.
Mickey and Minnie are getting on in years. So they are more easily frightened, and less willing to take the "risks" they would normally take if they were younger. In short, they worry too much about nothing. But they have lots of money and clout to influence the "big-wigs" in the FAA.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:50 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought he was fairly clear that he likes Coke over Pepsi, but perhaps it's just me.

In other news, the temp/perm NOTAM notice came from the AMA today.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:43 AM
bradpaul

Originally Posted by combatpigg
what you said was:
Now we have an epidemic of idiots who are doing their best to create problems for the other half of the RC fraternity who simply want to fly within a line of sight box and be happy with that. The best way to avoid suspicion is to place as much distance as you can away from suspicious activity.

Nice attempt at "walking it back" are you looking for a job with Hillary?
Old 11-05-2014, 11:12 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If the FAA wont get you, the EPA will. With the Nitromethane and synthetic oils spewing out and landing on the ground, surprised they aren't involved too. I can understand some of what they are doing, but it is a government organization, and they will go too far. As far as distance, my T-Clips with a FG-11 on it will go for an hour at 3/4 throttle, and that is moving fast for that plane. Add in a heading hold and altitude gyro, it can fly a straight line for an hour or more. How far can it travel in that time, I dont know, but I bet it is going to be more than 6 miles. Also with the 2.4 radios, they can shoot 6 miles line of sight, which is exactly what the curvature of the earth is. The plane only needs to receive the signals, and with a boosted radio, it can easily be flown for a longer distance. Large planes that can easily carry additional weight, or those that require a pound or more of lead to balance can be turned into small flying bombs by replacing the lead with C4. Yeah sounds Tom Clancyish, but imagine what 2-3 pounds of C4 can do, or Semtex, or any of those plastiques. Some of these planes can have enough power for unlimited verticals too, and one placed in just the right spot in front of an airplane on approach can create one hell of a mess if timed right. This is the thinking of Homeland, FBI, etc. I am quite certain they have run these possibilities over and over, so some of what this is about is justified. Unfortunately it impacts everyone involved in this hobby.

I can understand their reasoning for NOTAMs in most cases, but this one, over Disney, is just plain ridiculous.

That is amazingly far fetched and highly unlikely. This would only be possible if it were FPV as you can not use heading hold and gyro to redirect an aircraft, that is out of visual range to go vertical to hit airforce 1. Again, this all gets back to FPV flying really.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:57 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by BobbyMcGee
So, if I'm reading this correctly, you are saying that chocolate chip cookies are better than oatmeal cookies?
You guys are killing me! What he really meant to say is that he likes fat chicks...

Last edited by littlecrankshaf; 11-05-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:09 PM
BobbyMcGee

Originally Posted by porcia83
I thought he was fairly clear that he likes Coke over Pepsi, but perhaps it's just me.
Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
You guys are killing me! What he really meant to say is that he likes fat chicks...
OMG ... You two guys are so right! How could I have missed that???
Old 11-05-2014, 12:41 PM
combatpigg

what you said was: [/COLOR]

Nice attempt at "walking it back" are you looking for a job with Hillary?
Half of the idiots I speak of do not have any inkling of how they are negatively affecting an organization full of people [AMA members] that they have never even heard of. Never the less, they are doing a very fine job of creating problems for us.
Have I "walked it back" far enough for you to understand now...?
Old 11-05-2014, 12:50 PM
combatpigg

...and LCS REALLY likes the Jon Bonet types....lol.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:22 PM
BobbyMcGee

Forget the Bonet's. I prefer to live dangerously ... I'm dating Lorena Bobbitt.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:13 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I like fat chicks, what about it! They make good chicken soup!

That is amazingly far fetched and highly unlikely. This would only be possible if it were FPV as you can not use heading hold and gyro to redirect an aircraft, that is out of visual range to go vertical to hit airforce 1. Again, this all gets back to FPV flying really.
Quite so, but so was flying a 747 into the capital building in the Clancy Novel, but 9/11/2001 happened anyway. Put yourself into the thinking center of Homeland Security and those other organizations. Just because its far fetched, doesn't mean it can't happen. To me, this is part of the reasoning behind the 30 NM no fly zone, and the NOTAM over DC.
No one ever thought there would be an organized take over of 4 passenger jets that would target buildings. If it is possible to happen, then steps need to be taken to avoid that slim possibility. It really has nothing to do with FPV, LOS, RC, etc. it has to do with that slight risk that some crazy SOB would put high explosives on something like this and cause havoc. There is enough off the shelf tech parts to make it happen too, the only thing not easy is the HE stuff, and Heres to hoping that never happens, I like flying my planes too much.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:12 PM
N410DC

...Quite so, but so was flying a 747 into the capital building in the Clancy Novel, but 9/11/2001 happened anyway. Put yourself into the thinking center of Homeland Security and those other organizations. Just because its far fetched, doesn't mean it can't happen. To me, this is part of the reasoning behind the 30 NM no fly zone, and the NOTAM over DC.
No one ever thought there would be an organized take over of 4 passenger jets that would target buildings. If it is possible to happen, then steps need to be taken to avoid that slim possibility. It really has nothing to do with FPV, LOS, RC, etc. it has to do with that slight risk that some crazy SOB would put high explosives on something like this and cause havoc. There is enough off the shelf tech parts to make it happen too, the only thing not easy is the HE stuff, and Heres to hoping that never happens, I like flying my planes too much.
I think this is the salient point. The scenario that acdii described may seem a little far fetched, but I don't think it's impossible. As I said before, the US military has drones that are designed to destroy targets many miles away from the pilot. Implementing this idea with a commercially available UAV would not be easy, but it's certainty possible.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:23 PM
Sport_Pilot

but imagine what 2-3 pounds of C4 can do,
I would worry more about a bomb from a car, truck, or small plane. Maybe one of the banner tows flying above the stadium.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:29 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by JohnShe
Apparently, the FAA believes that flying a drone over a stadium full of people creates a dangerous situation. I kind of agree with the FAA on this.

The law says they can only regulate model airplanes that endanger the airspace and the aircraft that fly in it. Not stadiums or anything else on the ground, except for parked aircraft.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:32 AM
littlecrankshaf

I like fat chicks, what about it! They make good chicken soup!

Quite so, but so was flying a 747 into the capital building in the Clancy Novel, but 9/11/2001 happened anyway. Put yourself into the thinking center of Homeland Security and those other organizations. Just because its far fetched, doesn't mean it can't happen. To me, this is part of the reasoning behind the 30 NM no fly zone, and the NOTAM over DC.
Sad but true...the truly disapointing thing is that people are so conditioned now that all they can do is whine-ass and fearfully shake hoping some authority will make everything OK... Just the thought of a few guys with box-cutters taking over a plane filled with people speaks volumes about the real dangers coming to our society in the future... A limp wristed society is being bred as I type this... So, lets keep up the whining, waiting for daddy to take of the boggy man and mama will kiss our boo-boos.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:56 AM
bradpaul

What happened to the country that fought a war for independence from nobility and a king? Rather then believing that the highest title you can have is "citizen" we now have restricted citizens rights to provide security to "VIP's".

If you read the "VIP", Disney, or stadium NOTAMS you will see that the airspace above the sites is now classified as
PURSUANT TO 49 USC 40103(B), THE FEDERAL AVIATION ADMINISTRATION (FAA) CLASSIFIES THE AIRSPACE DEFINED IN THIS NOTAM AS 'NATIONAL DEFENSE AIRSPACE'.

Mickey Mouse is now a national defense asset.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:36 AM
Sport_Pilot

Sad but true...the truly disapointing thing is that people are so conditioned now that all they can do is whine-ass and fearfully shake hoping some authority will make everything OK... Just the thought of a few guys with box-cutters taking over a plane filled with people speaks volumes about the real dangers coming to our society in the future... A limp wristed society is being bred as I type this... So, lets keep up the whining, waiting for daddy to take of the boggy man and mama will kiss our boo-boos.
Yes, in my mind the terrorists have won.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:42 AM
littlecrankshaf

What happened to the country that fought a war for independence from nobility and a king? Rather then believing that the highest title you can have is "citizen" we now have restricted citizens rights to provide security to "VIP's".

If you read the "VIP", Disney, or stadium NOTAMS you will see that the airspace above the sites is now classified as

[/FONT][/COLOR]Mickey Mouse is now a national defense asset.
I think Ronald McDonald needs to get busy and get some protection too... Got save those happy meals at all costs!
Old 11-06-2014, 08:58 AM
bradpaul

In the words of Benjamin Franklin:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Those old dead white guys had it right........................................ NOTAMS to restrict the use of model aircraft, just wonder what they would have thought of that?

Old 11-06-2014, 09:15 AM
littlecrankshaf

In the words of Benjamin Franklin:

Those old dead white guys had it right........................................ NOTAMS to restrict the use of model aircraft, just wonder what they would have thought of that?

[/B]
Actually NOTAMS are a good thing...properly used. I think its a great tool to tell them man-flying type airplanes where we are... so they can watch out for or avoid us.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:49 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

YEP, you guys are thinking the same things I am. The terrorists got exactly what they wanted, us p***ing our pants. What happened? We had the greatest generation who fought back when Pearl was attacked and Hitler tried to take over the world, then Korea came along and we got our butts kicked, Not to mention how bad Vietnam made us look. Now we have generations of wimps and texters, who can't even talk face to face with the person they are standing next to, but "text" them instead.

Makes me sad to see it, and I am raising my kids to be respectful of the Flag, our Constitution and Life Liberty and the purfut of happiness.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:51 PM
BobbyMcGee

Mickey Mouse is now a national defense asset.
That's because Mickie Mouse is a spy for the CIA. I thought everyone knew that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.