Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

How about this?!!!!

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

How about this?!!!!

Old 11-07-2014, 05:48 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

That looks like the quads they sell at Hobby clown! Also, that lady had to wait 7 days to just get a slice? That was a small box!

I got the impression that they had permission for a very small area. Like, a particular building. Not a lot of air traffic below those tall buildings in a big city. Who knows where that is headed, looks like it's practical use is a little ways off. It certainly is just a novelty right now.

They will need specific machines purpose built at some point for sure. Honestly, I do not see reports like these as a threat to our hobby.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:20 PM
binns aero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well ya know, join the ama, join a club, pay your dues, follow the rules. The AMA can't do zip in this case.Now why does the FAA and local gov. look at the AMA first? Is Dist.2 getting involved with this? I don,t think so. I'm sure the FAA knows our position on this,and their is nothing we can do about it. They said nothing about the AMA in the report .Let the FAA deal with the problem they were the CAB and theCAA back in the 40's and 50's ya know, control over air Comerce and safety. Or unless the pie was free?
Old 11-08-2014, 05:46 AM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnShe
What's the big deal, DC has a permanent NOTAM that covers a much larger area, a circle of 30 NM radius (About 1927.431 Sq NM). 3 NM is nothing, only 28.27431 Sq NM, barely a postage stamp.
Given the fact that you don't live here or aren't directly affected by these rules "unless you come here" you have really no say in U.S. matters

Last edited by warbird_1; 11-08-2014 at 06:43 AM.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:00 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

What's the big deal, DC has a permanent NOTAM that covers a much larger area, a circle of 30 NM radius (About 1927.431 Sq NM). 3 NM is nothing, only 28.27431 Sq NM, barely a postage stamp.
Originally Posted by warbird_1
Given the fact that you don't live here or aren't directly affected by these rules "unless to come here" you have really no say in U.S. matters

Hi warbird ,

I'm not lookin to stir crap here , or attack you , I'm curious why you would say this when his location is listed in Round Hill , Virginia . Does Mr. She actually live in the US ?
Old 11-08-2014, 06:40 AM
warbird_1

Originally Posted by init4fun
Hi warbird ,

I'm not lookin to stir crap here , or attack you , I'm curious why you would say this when his location is listed in Round Hill , Virginia . Does Mr. She actually live in the US ?
Me either 4fun, i was referring to post #10 . the person from Canada. For reasons i won't get into here... It just irritates me when foreigners try to dictate what's best for us when it doesn't even effect them. though it did sound like a rude statement , it wasn't met that way but is true. i accidentally clicked on the wrong post quote. sorry.

Last edited by warbird_1; 11-08-2014 at 06:42 AM.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:50 AM
JohnShe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by warbird_1
Me either 4fun, i was referring to post #10 . the person from Canada. For reasons i won't get into here... It just irritates me when foreigners try to dictate what's best for us when it doesn't even effect them. though it did sound like a rude statement , it wasn't met that way but is true. i accidentally clicked on the wrong post quote. sorry.
Now that we know what you were referring to, had me puzzled for a moment, let's talk about NOTAMs. They are used internationally to inform pilots of dangers, restrictions and other important issues. I know that, in this country, some NOTAM restrictions might seem a little overboard, but I can't say the same for other countries. Perhaps our Canadian friend can enlighten us.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:50 AM
lumpy649
My Feedback: (75)

Quote from a previous poster-

"This community of hobbyists really needs to seriously consider the risks to others that they are causing by not following AMA guidelines. this is especially true in high-density areas such as Raleigh."

I feel what many of the posters to this thread don't realize is that many of these folks flying FPV don't even know what the AMA is, let alone their guidelines/rules and the issuance of a NOTAM. Within the rc industry, we are seeing things like flight stabilization systems in a $50 quad, or $100.00 fixed wing. This allows an individual with absolutely no rc flying experience to walk into a LHS, get a quick demonstrations on the product and head off to the local school yard and start to fly. Some will crash and burn, others will get a good grasp on it. The newbies that stay interested in the hobby, then progress more into the hobby. YouTube can be a fantastic influence. Before you know it, the new modeler is advancing into more sophisticated FPV systems, and flying greater distances.

I'm guessing that most of us here on RCU joined a club because we had to, it was the only way to get instruction as to how to operate the aircraft. I tried teaching myself and got tired of destroying aircraft. With joining a club, I got informed about the AMA. I recently convinced two people to join the AMA, one was my brother. He has been building/flying scratch built FPV for several years. He educated himself from the internet. He saw no need for a club, sanctioning body, rules and dues.

As more incidents of knuckleheads flying over stadiums, metropolitan areas, or anywhere there is a high concentration of people get reported in the press, the more restrictive OUR side of the hobby is going to get.
More school districts will ban them from their property, state and local parks will follow suit of the National Park system. I think that what has to happen is if these people flying recklessly over population centers get caught, there has to be some sort of punishment. But the punishment has to be publicized in the media so word gets out that. Then, and only then maybe the AMA will see increased membership thus leading to a more educated hobbyist.

You guys may think I'm crazy, but I am concerned about the health of our hobby. It's the small baby steps the FAA is taking against all rc. Ignorance of a few, will effect all involved! I just hope it doesn't follow the same path as our 2nd amendment rights, free speech, and illegal search and seizure.
Thanks,
Gary
Old 11-08-2014, 07:07 AM
warbird_1

i guess with the huge popularity of "drones" AKA FPV's , quads etc. i'm not surprised at the restrictions. i'm not against them in their present form ,but as soon as they start affecting R/C fields for no good reason other than control i'd start getting concerned. you have to maintain control over things other wise they get out of hand quick. no one has the "right" to fly anything anywhere they want. it's not the case now or ever was.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:08 AM
warbird_1

Now that we know what you were referring to, had me puzzled for a moment, let's talk about NOTAMs. They are used internationally to inform pilots of dangers, restrictions and other important issues. I know that, in this country, some NOTAM restrictions might seem a little overboard, but I can't say the same for other countries. Perhaps our Canadian friend can enlighten us.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:03 AM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by lumpy649
Quote from a previous poster-

"This community of hobbyists really needs to seriously consider the risks to others that they are causing by not following AMA guidelines. this is especially true in high-density areas such as Raleigh."

I feel what many of the posters to this thread don't realize is that many of these folks flying FPV don't even know what the AMA is, let alone their guidelines/rules and the issuance of a NOTAM. Within the rc industry, we are seeing things like flight stabilization systems in a $50 quad, or $100.00 fixed wing. This allows an individual with absolutely no rc flying experience to walk into a LHS, get a quick demonstrations on the product and head off to the local school yard and start to fly. Some will crash and burn, others will get a good grasp on it. The newbies that stay interested in the hobby, then progress more into the hobby. YouTube can be a fantastic influence. Before you know it, the new modeler is advancing into more sophisticated FPV systems, and flying greater distances.

I'm guessing that most of us here on RCU joined a club because we had to, it was the only way to get instruction as to how to operate the aircraft. I tried teaching myself and got tired of destroying aircraft. With joining a club, I got informed about the AMA. I recently convinced two people to join the AMA, one was my brother. He has been building/flying scratch built FPV for several years. He educated himself from the internet. He saw no need for a club, sanctioning body, rules and dues.

As more incidents of knuckleheads flying over stadiums, metropolitan areas, or anywhere there is a high concentration of people get reported in the press, the more restrictive OUR side of the hobby is going to get.
More school districts will ban them from their property, state and local parks will follow suit of the National Park system. I think that what has to happen is if these people flying recklessly over population centers get caught, there has to be some sort of punishment. But the punishment has to be publicized in the media so word gets out that. Then, and only then maybe the AMA will see increased membership thus leading to a more educated hobbyist.

You guys may think I'm crazy, but I am concerned about the health of our hobby. It's the small baby steps the FAA is taking against all rc. Ignorance of a few, will effect all involved! I just hope it doesn't follow the same path as our 2nd amendment rights, free speech, and illegal search and seizure.
Thanks,
Gary

This is exactly what I am saying. The FPV crowd by and large do not know about or embrace the AMA, so why should the AMA embrace the FPV crowd, when it is to their detriment? Are they just chasing dollars? A new, expanding market so to speak? I do not think it takes a lot of intelligence to figure out that this new market, does not have a very long shelf life as the laws will be coming to restrict them heavily. Best to just insulate ourselves from the activity in the first place.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:49 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
This is exactly what I am saying. The FPV crowd by and large do not know about or embrace the AMA, so why should the AMA embrace the FPV crowd, when it is to their detriment? Are they just chasing dollars? A new, expanding market so to speak? I do not think it takes a lot of intelligence to figure out that this new market, does not have a very long shelf life as the laws will be coming to restrict them heavily. Best to just insulate ourselves from the activity in the first place.

V-G, I could certainly live with your thinking. Unfortunately, the people of this country seem to just have to have the latest new thing. Be it new clothing item, different hairstyle, eat at a new restaurant, drive a new car, bigger house, etc., etc. Look at how RC modelers are: latest style, Big Bird, new engine, and all kinds of whatever the latest thing might be. If Joe Blow has a new Big Bird, then everyone in his club has to have one, then the next club sees and does same, etc. etc.
Years ago, I saw RC modelers to be just like kids in school, whatever Johnie gets then so does Johnie's friend, and on it goes. However not all of us have that trait, THANKFULLY.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:01 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Got some stats to back up that assertion, or is it just an anecdotal guess on your part? I was going to ask that of your first sentence, but the more I read on, it fits pretty much everything you said. I bet folks counted on the helis being a fad, and electrics, and ARFs, and foamies too. Meanwhile, multi rotor aircraft is the fastest growing segment in RC now, and bring news folks into the hobby AND the AMA.

Chasing dollars...is that a bad thing? It's called embracing a completely valid growing segment of the hobby. If the AMA doesn't adapt, why bother going on? "insulate" is just a fancy word for "ban", the same kind of mentality that's seen at clubs regarding heli's, gassers etc etc. Narrow minded approach, reactionary and myopic. Won't solve a thing, will make no difference on how uncle sam continues forward. AMA has a valid and appropriate dog in this fight, if not them, who?
Old 11-08-2014, 02:06 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Hossfly
V-G, I could certainly live with your thinking. Unfortunately, the people of this country seem to just have to have the latest new thing. Be it new clothing item, different hairstyle, eat at a new restaurant, drive a new car, bigger house, etc., etc. Look at how RC modelers are: latest style, Big Bird, new engine, and all kinds of whatever the latest thing might be. If Joe Blow has a new Big Bird, then everyone in his club has to have one, then the next club sees and does same, etc. etc.
Years ago, I saw RC modelers to be just like kids in school, whatever Johnie gets then so does Johnie's friend, and on it goes. However not all of us have that trait, THANKFULLY.
Ah yes, the good 'ol days. Scratch built, free flight, control line, nitro motors, scale models flying the pattern.

Hope that's not the view you'll take on things should the election go your way.

Times change, situations change, nothing wrong with "new" things. The past is just that.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:07 PM
vertical grimmace

Just because something leaves the ground, does not mean the AMA has to welcome it in, and insure it. Model rockets come to mind. They are doing fine on their own. They have their own organization, the NAR. They are very safe, and follow the rules.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:16 PM
porcia83
Banned

Just because something leaves the ground, does not mean the AMA has to welcome it in, and insure it. Model rockets come to mind. They are doing fine on their own. They have their own organization, the NAR. They are very safe, and follow the rules.
Well it's a good thing they cover lots of stuff that flies, since planes were primarily the main platforms for FPV before mutli-rotors came along.

Regarding rockets, is it your position that the AMA has not welcome rocketry , and does not insure it?
Old 11-08-2014, 02:34 PM
vertical grimmace

My position is that rocketry is different than FF, RC and CL aircraft. Hence, they have their own organization that governs them. FPV, regardless of the vehicle type ( I don't care if it is a helicopter, Multi rotor, or aircraft) that is not a line of sight controlled, should find it's own governing body. Not the AMA. That type of flying, should find it's own way to protect itself from the government, without associating typical model aircraft flying with them.

Do not get me wrong. I am far from narrow minded, and I am not anti any technology. I just do not want the AMA to associate with it, as it is not what they are about.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:51 PM
Sport_Pilot

The FPV crowd by and large do not know about or embrace the AMA, so why should the AMA embrace the FPV crowd, when it is to their detriment?
FPV started with the AMA. I remember in the late 90's that members were putting small video cameras with small transmitters. The problem is not with those people but the ones who buy ready to fly FPV planes and copters (usually a quad copter). They are the ones completely ignorant of the rules. So to me the AMA is not embracing something that started without them but something that was with them all along.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:18 PM
vertical grimmace

THe FPV that has been showing up at our field is far from a store bought quadcopter. It is on a radio frequency that gets crazy range and full feedback, VHS I think. He admitted to me that he waits till nobody is around to fly, because he knows he is breaking the rules. Both of our club and the AMA.

I am not sure that those $100 store bought jobs are as much of an issue, as they do not have the range.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:04 PM
porcia83
Banned

".Do not get me wrong. I am far from narrow minded, and I am not anti any technology. I just do not want the AMA to associate with it, as it is not what they are about...."
I can't help but feel that is a conflicted, contradictory message. Also confusing, as I'm not sure what you mean by this is not what "they (AMA) is about. I think what you mean to say is that you don't think the AMA should be about this. The reality though is quite different:

What is AMA?
• AMA is the Academy of Model Aeronautics.
• AMA is the world's largest modelaviation organization, representing a membership of more than 150,000 from
every walk of life, income level and age group.
• AMA is a self-supporting, non-profit organization whose purpose is to promote development of model aviation
as a recognized sport and worthwhile recreation activity.

AMA is an organization open to anyone interested in model aviation.
• AMA is the official national body for model aviation in the United States. AMA sanctions more than a thousand
model competitions throughout the country each year, and certifies official model flying records on a national
and international level.
• AMA is the organizer of the annual National Aeromodeling Championships, the world's largest model airplane
competition.
• AMA is the chartering organization for more than 2,500 model airplane clubs across the country. AMA offers
its chartered clubs official contest sanction, insurance, and assistance in getting and keeping flying sites. Flying
site assistance and disaster relief funds are available to chartered clubs.
• AMA is the voice of its membership, providing liaison with the Federal Aviation Administration, the Federal
Communications Commission, and other government agencies through our national headquarters in Muncie,
Indiana. AMA also works with local governments, zoning boards, and parks departments to promote the interests
of local chartered clubs.
• AMA is an associate member of the National Aeronautic Association. Through NAA, AMA is recognized by
the Fédération Aéronautique Internationale (FAI), the world governing body of all aviation activity, as the only
organization which may direct U.S. participation in international aeromodeling activities.
• For more detailed information, contact the Academy of Model Aeronautics, Marketing Department, 5161 E.
Memorial Drive, Muncie, Indiana, 47302 or telephone 1-765-287-1256.
AMAVision
We, the members of the Academy of Model Aeronautics, are the pathway to the future of aeromodeling and are
committed to making modeling the foremost sport/hobby in the world.
This vision is accomplished through:
• Affiliation with its valued associates, the modeling industry and governments;
• A process of continuous improvement;
• A commitment to leadership, quality, education and scientific/technical development; and,
• A safe, secure, enjoyable modeling environment.

AMA Mission
The Academy of Model Aeronautics is a world-class association of modelers organized for the purpose of
promotion, development, education, advancement, and safeguard of modeling activities. The Academy provides
leadership, organization, competition, communication, protection, representation, recognition, education and
scientific/technical development to modelers.

Emphasis added.....

Last edited by porcia83; 11-08-2014 at 04:06 PM.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:26 PM
vertical grimmace

We obviously do not agree. In spite of your efforts, you will not change my mind of how things should be. So, it is a waste of your time to try. My opinions on this issue are clear. Despite anything you may try to say otherwise.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:29 PM
vertical grimmace

Also, I do not need a lesson on what the AMA is about. I have been a member and a competition modeler for over 30 years. This is not just sunday flier type of relationship. I have been heavily immersed in this hobby. So when I see a threat to it, I take it personal, and I feel that we are not on the right path.

So, do you think it is a good idea for the AMA to promote FPV flying?
Old 11-08-2014, 04:46 PM
bradpaul

Also, I do not need a lesson on what the AMA is about. I have been a member and a competition modeler for over 30 years. This is not just sunday flier type of relationship. I have been heavily immersed in this hobby. So when I see a threat to it, I take it personal, and I feel that we are not on the right path.

So, do you think it is a good idea for the AMA to promote FPV flying?
Old 11-08-2014, 05:28 PM
Flight Risk

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I can hear the terrorists now: "Damn the FAA! With that NOTAM we not able to fly over Disney World as Allah commands, we not get our 73 virgins."
Old 11-08-2014, 05:29 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Do not get me wrong. I am far from narrow minded, and I am not anti any technology. I just do not want the AMA to associate with it, as it is not what they are about.
You do realize AMA also provides insurance for modelers of RC cars and boats...
Old 11-08-2014, 05:57 PM
binns aero

Once the FAA gets done painting the out-house again,everything will be fine. Those of us who fly,drive or float for goodness and not badness will find our hobby is still a complete pleasure to enjoy! Don't worry be happy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.