Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

How about this?!!!!

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

How about this?!!!!

Old 11-09-2014, 01:20 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnShe
HD, you have grievously misinterpreted my remarks. The FAA and all other government agencies only enforce the laws of congress. Any time they stray, which happens occasionally (bureaucrats are only human) they catch heck from congress and the public. One of the reasons that the interpretive rule is so narrowly phrased is because the FAA is making every effort to interpret the letter of the law exactly.
On the chance that the moderator sanctions me for Talking Politics, I'll say it anyway:
If U believe that I have 2 bridges for sale One In San Francisco and one in Brooklyn.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:37 PM
bradpaul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is why drones are banned at Disney

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news...t222651-1.html

Disney Sees Drone-Operated Entertainment

Disney "imagineers" have found some unique uses for unmanned aerial systems (UAS) that could eventually see airborne puppets controlled by drones pulling the strings. The company has filed three patent applications to use the increasingly sophisticated little aircraft to widen its entertainment offerings at its theme parks. A couple of the patents address a proposed improvement to the spectacular but apparently limiting use of fountains as an outdoor projection screen. The patents envision using multiple UAS vehicles to hoist lightweight materials that don't have a lot of wind resistance. The materials would act as screens or light diffusers which, working in concert, could create visuals that float in the air or "autonomously work together to deliver an interactive image in three dimensional space," according to Stitch Kingdom. The patents call the image-making light sources floating pixels or "flixels." A third patent would use drones to bring to life Disney characters in the night sky.
The imagineers see using UAS vehicles working in concert to articulate the limbs, joints and other moving parts of gigantic marionettes made of lightweight materials or balloons. Drawings accompanying the patents show dozens of UAS attached to various parts of the huge puppets working together to make it move. The patents do not address the many regulatory roadblocks in the way of these kinds of uses but the investment by Disney may suggest hope that such uses may eventually be legal.

And some of you thought it all had to do with the FAA protecting safety in the NAS..................... when it was actually getting the FAA to help Disney protect the patents.

Last edited by bradpaul; 11-09-2014 at 01:39 PM.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:19 PM
Flight Risk
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't have a problem with these regulations as long as they are reasonable. I don't want to be at a sports event and have Joe Blow buzzing his Hobby King flyer over my head. I don't like the idea of crap falling into hot pots at Yellowstone. I don't care to see packages from Amazon being delivered by drones. I have no problem with them being used for agriculture, or other regulated services, but otherwise FPV needs to be within site by a spotter and follow AMA rules. Unless you're in the middle of nowhere.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:19 PM
Flight Risk

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

sorry, double post

Last edited by Flight Risk; 11-10-2014 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:56 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bradpaul
http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news...t222651-1.html

And some of you thought it all had to do with the FAA protecting safety in the NAS..................... when it was actually getting the FAA to help Disney protect the patents.
HA! HA! HA! I know that I have made at least TWO (2) mentions of what the real thing is all about ! ! THE MONEY ! That is the only consideration in both, the government and Big Business >>>> THA' MONIES !!!!! Like the old SONG: "If you got the money, Honey, I've got the time !"

In addition, "REASONABLE" has only one side. All others are totally "Unreasonable".

Last edited by Hossfly; 11-10-2014 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:26 AM
Oregon Craig

There are a lot of funny synonyms for the phrase power member.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:22 AM
bradpaul

Originally Posted by Oregon Craig
There are a lot of funny synonyms for the phrase power member.
Way off topic, but as you are from Sandy, Oregon what is the local opinion on the Hoffmans? (Gold Rush TV show)
Old 11-11-2014, 10:57 AM
Oregon Craig

I can't really speak for the community. I have been to a couple of businesses that have autographed pictures of the crew on the wall. The Hoffman's own a local private airport, and the Turin name is pretty well known through the family paving business. I had them put in a long asphalt drive a few years back when I had a shop built in back of the property. I am barely related through a series of marriages (so not at all) to another Turin brother and yet another brother and I had kids in sports at the same time so I knew him. Nice guys. My club used to fly right at the Sandy River Airport for a year or two, but we had another field as well and we voted to not pay two leases on two sites. I would see Jack or Todd when I was down flying, but just to say a quick Hi, how's it goin'. They have a big banquet room on the airport property that we used for our meetings, and Jack spoke to us at a banquet a few years back and the subject was Alaska. Mining (he had done it before) and flying. He is a private pilot who has some Alaska flying experience. He wrapped it up by saying he was planning to go back and gold mine, but I didn't think about it one way or another at the time. I just happened to show up one day to fly, and as I drove past the hangars, I saw heavy equipment being loaded onto trucks and big flatbed semis and they were being filmed (taped?) by a couple guys with cameras, and it still didn't click with me what might be going on. It wasn't until I watched the first season that I realized I had been there when those early scenes were being shot. As for the show, my wife and I watched the first two seasons but I guess we just got tired of it. I think all those shows are the same. I don't really watch any of them, but I did do a couple seasons of that one and the one in Alaska that featured Era Air. Completely fake "reality", but nicely shot and fun to watch. I can tell you this based on what I know, the mining came first, then the show. They were going to go anyway, and Todd found a company online that was looking to film something, anything, and do a reality show. He applied and they were interested. It is my opinion after seeing some of the later seasons that this has changed completely, and the show comes first above all else, which is why it feels to me to be so produced and acted out. Because I think it is. But aren't they all? Very formulaic and boring to me.

The last time I saw Todd was at the health club. No, he wasn't working out, his kids were swimming in the pool. After season 1, we walked into the local Thai food joint and Jack and wife were there. The place was kinda full, but they recognized us from the club meetings and banquet and we joined them for dinner. The show didn't really come up much. Jack told us about the back problems he had been having, and told us the story of how he obtained his dog, Blue. That was about it. I think I read recently that Blue wasn't long for the world. I loved that dog. He could play fetch until your arm wore out. Good ol' Blue, who you see often in the first couple seasons.

Now I've gone WAY OFF topic!
Old 11-20-2014, 07:06 PM
franklin_m

Default It's Official - FAA Denies Indoor flight request

My house sits 2.6NM from an NCAA Division 1 football stadium. I decided to probe the lunacy of the NTSB ruling & FDC 4/3621, the NOTAM that establishes Temporary Flight Restrictions around NCAA Div 1 events (and a host of others). So yesterday I used the FAA process to request a waiver to the TFR for a micro-helicopter flight -- INSIDE MY OWN HOUSE. Today the FAA denied that request.

It would appear that the AMA's efforts have had little measurable effect, as the FAA is willing to go on record denying model aircraft flights inside private homes if those homes sit inside a TFR.

My request and their response are attached.

[ATTACH]2048961[/IMG]
[ATTACH]2048962[/IMG]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
File Type: pdf
TFR Waiver Response.pdf (58.5 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by franklin_m; 11-20-2014 at 07:07 PM. Reason: better organize attachments
Old 11-20-2014, 08:02 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

That is ridiculous.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:46 AM
phlpsfrnk

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
That is ridiculous.
Not really, a refusal like this may be newsworthy but it points out inconsistences in the laws. With no means of granting his request under the current laws they (FAA) had no choice but to refuse it. While the novelty of this extreme may appear "ridiculous" what would happen if an annually scheduled club fly in were to be affected by one of these sporting event NOTAM/TFRs? Said club event applies for a waiver and is denied. Granted that one event is much larger than the other but why should one sporting event be able to trump the other? Who reimburses the club for lost revenue?

Frank
Old 11-21-2014, 04:15 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

That is ridiculous.
Agree. Meaningless and futile, and for what purpose? To say see, I didn't get my way? To highlight what everyone already knows, that the current decision isn't perfect ? Is this supposed to do something, other than waste a govt agencies time? Or was is done just to say see see, the AMA failed and here is what the result is? Oh wait, we now see there are inconsistencies with a law? Color us shocked, it's a first! Please. The AMA did what they did, as best as possible. The outcome wasn't optimal, but they say they are still working on it. Any other group out there working on behalf of the modelers, or are we all supposed to band together now and bury the FAA with these silly requests. That will work wonders for our cause I'm sure.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:21 AM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
Agree. Meaningless and futile, and for what purpose? To say see, I didn't get my way? To highlight what everyone already knows, that the current decision isn't perfect ? Is this supposed to do something, other than waste a govt agencies time? Or was is done just to say see see, the AMA failed and here is what the result is? Oh wait, we now see there are inconsistencies with a law? Color us shocked, it's a first! Please. The AMA did what they did, as best as possible. The outcome wasn't optimal, but they say they are still working on it. Any other group out there working on behalf of the modelers, or are we all supposed to band together now and bury the FAA with these silly requests. That will work wonders for our cause I'm sure.
My opinion is directed at the FAA not the poster. Private property rights be damned?
Old 11-21-2014, 04:22 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by phlpsfrnk
Not really, a refusal like this may be newsworthy but it points out inconsistences in the laws. With no means of granting his request under the current laws they (FAA) had no choice but to refuse it. While the novelty of this extreme may appear "ridiculous" what would happen if an annually scheduled club fly in were to be affected by one of these sporting event NOTAM/TFRs? Said club event applies for a waiver and is denied. Granted that one event is much larger than the other but why should one sporting event be able to trump the other? Who reimburses the club for lost revenue?

Frank
The refusal is hardly newsworthy. The novelty of your "what if" is extreme, but I guess it's possible just like all the other comments about the hobby coming to an end because of a ruling or two. Most likely though, it won't happen. But what if it did...I guess the purported need for safety of multiple thousands of fans might in fact trump the fly in of maybe a few hundred. How about the club move the date? A simply remedy.
But if this were to happen on any meaningful scale, this is something the AMA should be able to use to seek further discussions with whatever agency will be dealing with this issue. At least they will have a real world example to show, rather than a "what if".
Old 11-21-2014, 04:28 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by franklin_m
My house sits 2.6NM from an NCAA Division 1 football stadium. I decided to probe the lunacy of the NTSB ruling & FDC 4/3621, the NOTAM that establishes Temporary Flight Restrictions around NCAA Div 1 events (and a host of others). So yesterday I used the FAA process to request a waiver to the TFR for a micro-helicopter flight -- INSIDE MY OWN HOUSE. Today the FAA denied that request.

It would appear that the AMA's efforts have had little measurable effect, as the FAA is willing to go on record denying model aircraft flights inside private homes if those homes sit inside a TFR.

[ATTACH]2048961[/IMG]
[ATTACH]2048962[/IMG]
Better keep the curtains drawn if you decide to violate the TFR...Never know when John might drive by...and he has the FAA on speed dial...and not afraid to use it!
Old 11-21-2014, 04:29 AM
porcia83
Banned

My opinion is directed at the FAA not the poster. Private property rights be damned?
Actually I agree both are ridiculous to some degree. Private property right are not unconditional and without constraints.

I think I'll file a request with the NRC today to see if I can build and maintain a nuclear reactor in my home. Two guesses as to how they will respond. Then I'll post their response here and highlight the absurdity of their response and complain that my property right are being being infringed upon.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:40 AM
porcia83
Banned

Just got this e-mail today:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/aboutama/gov.aspx

[h=2]AMA Answers Your Questions[/h]
On Tuesday, November 25 at 1pm EST AMA's Rich Hanson will answer your most commonly asked questions regarding sUAS and the FAA. If you have a questions you would like possibly addressed, email Rich at [email protected]. We will compile all the questions and answer as many as we can from 1pm-2pm.

To view the live broadcast, please visit this page at 1pm on Tuesday, November 25. There is no need to preregister and no special software is needed to view the event.

After the broadcast, we will post the recorded video on this page. This will allow anyone who missed the broadcast or who may want to watch it again to see the program.

Thank you. We look forward to addressing your questions live, right here, on Tuesday.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:40 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by porcia83
Actually I agree both are ridiculous to some degree. Private property right are not unconditional and without constraints.

I think I'll file a request with the NRC today to see if I can build and maintain a nuclear reactor in my home. Two guesses as to how they will respond. Then I'll post their response here and highlight the absurdity of their response and complain that my property right are being being infringed upon.
LOL glad to see you and Franklin have a healthy sense of humor...well at least I hope that's what it is...hehe.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:32 AM
porcia83
Banned

Gotta have a chuckle every now and then right?
Old 11-21-2014, 05:42 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Wait, I need permission from NRC for my reactor? OOOps.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:01 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by acdii
Wait, I need permission from NRC for my reactor? OOOps.
It's well known that it's easier to beg for forgiveness rather than ask for permission.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:26 AM
BobbyMcGee

[ATTACH]2048961[/IMG]
[ATTACH]2048962[/IMG]
Resubmit your form and state that your intentions for the flight inside your home is for the purposes of safety and security of the event because your 8 year old daughter has a real aversion to the guest team that will be playing at the stadium and you fear that she may throw a temper tantrum and leave the house and go to the stadium and call the team members, "big stupid-heads."
Therefore, in such an event, you will be able to alert the FAA and the Dept. of Homeland Security well in advance of her possible "attack."

PS.
It's funny that the Director's name is Hatfield. Reminds me of the old scenario of the redneck/hillbilly idiot families of the Hatfield's and McCoy's. Is this guy a descendant of that family? It sure seems so. He shows a real disdain for people and society.

And what a waste of our government dollars!!!! I hope that letter goes viral on the internet.

I wonder what the F.D. stands for. I can come up with a few guesses, but most of them couldn't be printed here.

Last edited by BobbyMcGee; 11-21-2014 at 07:55 AM.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:49 AM
BobbyMcGee

[ATTACH]2048961[/IMG]
[ATTACH]2048962[/IMG]
Is that 2.6 NM as the drone fiys?

We should change the old expression from "as the crow flys" to "AS THE DRONE FLYS"
Old 11-21-2014, 08:20 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Note to self, finish drinking coffee before reading posts.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:32 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by BobbyMcGee
Is that 2.6 NM as the drone fiys?

We should change the old expression from "as the crow flys" to "AS THE DRONE FLYS"
Well no wonder they refused your request. U left out all the important things like your name, where U live, and your contact info ... what did U expect.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.