Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Be Worried Now. NTSB Says RC=aircraft

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Be Worried Now. NTSB Says RC=aircraft

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 07:25 PM
bradpaul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by binns aero
Hey Bradp, I guess youve got it all figured out. At least it sounds that way.TTTWTW.
I do know that it would be impossible to have a VIN on something made of foam, balsa or plastic. BTW you do know that not everybody flys RTF models, some actually build what they fly?

Got some here advocating banning some model types based on apperance, now you are asking for a national regestration database. Whats next a background check and a three day waiting period to purchase?

Where have I heard all of this before???
Old 11-22-2014, 07:32 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by rgburrill
That is an absurd attitude and indicative of the problem we face.
I think maybe a talk with the mirror is in order here.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:35 PM
Desertlakesflying

Originally Posted by Lifer
Well, if anyone in the AMA has any sense, they'll hire a lawyer and file a restraining order and demand a judicial review under a 14th amendment violation.
Like most everything else that people try to tack onto it, the 14th Amendment doesn't apply here.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:42 PM
Desertlakesflying

Those wishing for more government intervention, like being alright with checking for an AMA license, while complaining about the current government intervention, while no one is talking about melting down the phone lines of their respective Congressional representatives, is what is truly indicative of the problem we face in every aspect of American life, not just our hobby.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:40 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I would rather AMA created the rules for this, not government. Then one simple rule for Government, Fly outside AMA rules, unless a registered permit to fly outside those rules for a commercial purpose(like a documentary film, or movie) is obtained, get caught and pay a hefty fine, or jail time depending on how extreme the offense.

Then again, nothing in the government is simple.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:47 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by acdii
I would rather AMA created the rules for this, not government. Then one simple rule for Government, Fly outside AMA rules, unless a registered permit to fly outside those rules for a commercial purpose(like a documentary film, or movie) is obtained, get caught and pay a hefty fine, or jail time depending on how extreme the offense.

Then again, nothing in the government is simple.
Well, isn't that exactly what the 2012 FAA modernization act says in section 336? I believe that the FAA interpretation of section 336 says the exact same thing. Sounds pretty simple to me. As far as commercial and public use of drones (or sUAS and UAS) goes, the regulations are still in the planning stage, but that should not matter to us safe recreational flyers.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:52 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

So whats missing then that we have issues with the NTSB and everyone crying wolf?
Old 11-23-2014, 09:16 AM
JohnShe

So whats missing then that we have issues with the NTSB and everyone crying wolf?
I have no issues with the NTSB. The NTSB ruling only effects the idiots who don't follow reasonable safety guidelines, as well as commercial and public service drone flyers. Yes, there seem to be a lot of people crying wolf or at least overreacting to poorly understood government actions.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:00 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Maybe more the FAA. Issuing NOTAMS, that effect RC activities, with very little notice, that have an incredibly large area covered unnecessarily. That is why.

What if your club, has an event that they have worked to organize all year, that is needed to help pay their bills, and 2 day before the event a NOTAM is declared that shuts the event down? Where I live, the closest airport is 20 miles away from my flying site. It has been shut down before. How is a line of sight model a threat from 20 miles away? Very unreasonable IMO.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:04 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
Maybe more the FAA. Issuing NOTAMS, that effect RC activities, with very little notice, that have an incredibly large area covered unnecessarily. That is why.

What if your club, has an event that they have worked to organize all year, that is needed to help pay their bills, and 2 day before the event a NOTAM is declared that shuts the event down? Where I live, the closest airport is 20 miles away from my flying site. It has been shut down before. How is a line of sight model a threat from 20 miles away? Very unreasonable IMO.
According to John such things only effects the idiots who don't follow reasonable safety guidelines...
Old 11-23-2014, 12:42 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
According to John such things only effects the idiots who don't follow reasonable safety guidelines...
Keep trying, one of these days you will learn to be a real troll. Don't tell me that was a joke, it fails on so many levels.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:47 PM
vertical grimmace

Too bad so many of these posts are attacks at each other. This is a real, serious issue.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:51 PM
JohnShe

I think that it has happened. I seem to remember a club that had to apply for a special waiver or something like that. My own club falls in the Washington DC special flight rules area and we get occasional VIP NOTAMs. The are rare but irksome. You are right, we can just barely cause significant harm so it seems a bit unfair.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:53 PM
JohnShe

Too bad so many of these posts are attacks at each other. This is a real, serious issue.
Yes, I constantly have to defend myself from LCS's out of context remarks.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:10 PM
vertical grimmace

It has been my experience that any contact with the government ends up being unfair.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:42 PM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by JohnShe
Well, isn't that exactly what the 2012 FAA modernization act says in section 336? I believe that the FAA interpretation of section 336 says the exact same thing. Sounds pretty simple to me.
Agreed. AMA created and lobbied for the rules, and Congress enacted them in 336. Truly very simple, yet many folks are demonizing the US government in general and particularly FAA for interpreting the rules, as they must by law do in order to apply them as Congress intended and as your post appears to confirm they correctly did ("...says the exact same thing"). FAA did not create these rules, nor any rules regulating model aircraft other than the advisory AC91-57. It is most unlikely that FAA would have made such rules. If FAA were to make any such rules, they would be well off in the future as model airplanes are far off the critical path to incorporating UAS in the NAS. We as a group seem to currently be in the weird predicament of urging AMA on to free us from onerous government regulation designed and hastened through the lawmaking process by AMA.

As far as commercial and public use of drones (or sUAS and UAS) goes, the regulations are still in the planning stage, but that should not matter to us safe recreational flyers.
Agreed again, recreational modelers should not be affected......but we are and will be. The savior needed something to save us from.
Old 11-23-2014, 02:37 PM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Agreed. AMA created and lobbied for the rules, and Congress enacted them in 336. Truly very simple, yet many folks are demonizing the US government in general and particularly FAA for interpreting the rules, as they must by law do in order to apply them as Congress intended and as your post appears to confirm they correctly did ("...says the exact same thing"). FAA did not create these rules, nor any rules regulating model aircraft other than the advisory AC91-57. It is most unlikely that FAA would have made such rules. If FAA were to make any such rules, they would be well off in the future as model airplanes are far off the critical path to incorporating UAS in the NAS. We as a group seem to currently be in the weird predicament of urging AMA on to free us from onerous government regulation designed and hastened through the lawmaking process by AMA.

Agreed again, recreational modelers should not be affected......but we are and will be. The savior needed something to save us from.
Perfect post...wondering now how the duality of the hypocritical mind will spin this one...
Old 11-23-2014, 04:41 PM
JohnShe

It has been my experience that any contact with the government ends up being unfair.
Speaking of opposite viewpoints. I cannot think of a single experience with the government that I had that was in any way unfair. I suppose I could make a log list of my beneficial government experiences. Let's see: VA Benefits, Social; Security, Medicare, Roads & Bridges, safe air travel, protection from murderers, thieves and other malefactors, the internet, safe prescription drugs, safe food, safe toys (for children)...
Old 11-23-2014, 05:08 PM
littlecrankshaf

Speaking of opposite viewpoints. I cannot think of a single experience with the government that I had that was in any way unfair. I suppose I could make a log list of my beneficial government experiences. Let's see: VA Benefits, Social; Security, Medicare, Roads & Bridges, safe air travel, protection from murderers, thieves and other malefactors, the internet, safe prescription drugs, safe food, safe toys (for children)...
Well...there you have it.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:10 PM
vertical grimmace

You must have never been through a divorce.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:18 PM
JohnShe

You must have never been through a divorce.
LOL! That was your own fault.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:21 PM
littlecrankshaf

LOL! That was your own fault.
Yea, just kill em and bury them in backyard. When people ask what happen to her, just say she ran off with the milk man or TV repairman...that should work.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:15 PM
binns aero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Come on now, lets talk about something serious. Like pony abuse at the circus.Well put JohnShe, the key word overreacting.Hundreds of ideas and views on the subject are just more logs on the fire.The (system) will work it all out.I read that on the internet.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:41 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

I have no issues with the NTSB. The NTSB ruling only effects the idiots who don't follow reasonable safety guidelines, as well as commercial and public service drone flyers. Yes, there seem to be a lot of people crying wolf or at least overreacting to poorly understood government actions.
Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
Keep trying, one of these days you will learn to be a real troll. Don't tell me that was a joke, it fails on so many levels.

Um , , Mr She ? ....... Would you mind explaining why you say LCS is trolling you , , when he has done nothing but repeat your words pretty much exactly as you wrote them ? I see plain as day where you say only idiots and commercial users will be affected , and you know what ?

I HOPE LIKE HELL YOUR RIGHT !!!!!

Now , that we're in agreement that us boring ol circle flyers oughta be left alone , at least OWN what ya said , rather than deny it just cause you don't like the guy who repeated it
Old 11-23-2014, 06:56 PM
binns aero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here we go! well it's off to the circus.Good night all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.