Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

FAA will require a pilot's license to fly a drone

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

FAA will require a pilot's license to fly a drone

Old 12-16-2014, 06:32 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
A lot of people fly ultralights because ​they failed their medical.
And I maintain that it will ultimately prove self correcting, as well as a short walk to the crash site.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:46 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by franklin_m
And I maintain that it will ultimately prove self correcting, as well as a short walk to the crash site.
Most are perfectly safe. There are many reasons to fail a medical and be completly safe to fly an ultralight. Certain types of causes for vertigo BPPV for example may never happen but some examiners may flunk (or the FAA will if fowarded to them) you if it has happened within several years. Or past heart conditions which may never occur again. Plus an ultralight will not cause as much damage when it crash's. I think the same attitude should be held for model airplanes.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:08 AM
N410DC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of people fly ultralights because ​they failed their medical.
Heh. Good point. Perhaps this is why the FAA prohibits Sport Flyers from flying without a medical certificate, if they have been denied a medical certificate in the past.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:11 PM
franklin_m

Most are perfectly safe...vertigo...&....heart conditions"
(1) I feel sooooo much better about people without medical's flying in the same airspace I do

(2) At least when someone is in the aircraft, one might believe them to be a bit more responsible, in that if they crash into something or something crashes in them, they die. Not so with a drone, only loss for crashing into something is the money they spent on the drone. No personal risk.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:35 PM
NorfolkSouthern

(1) I feel sooooo much better about people without medical's flying in the same airspace I do

(2) At least when someone is in the aircraft, one might believe them to be a bit more responsible, in that if they crash into something or something crashes in them, they die. Not so with a drone, only loss for crashing into something is the money they spent on the drone. No personal risk.
It's the same with model airplanes, too. It's the same with all RC equipment. There is no attachment between the bot and its operator, whether it be by land, air, or water.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:04 PM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by NorfolkSouthern
It's the same with model airplanes, too. It's the same with all RC equipment. There is no attachment between the bot and its operator, whether it be by land, air, or water.
Fortunately, there is difference for model airplanes that is quite significant to the safety issue. Most of us most of the time adhere to the most basic safety rules that have been spelled out for MA operations in AC 91-57 and by AMA, for the few among us that even need to be told:

Don't fly over people and their things

Always give way to other aircraft

I've seen many manifestations of Darwin's Law at club flying sites, thankfully none resulting in injury to others (though some self-inflicted injuries like the too familiar hand in the prop trick and minor property damage). Our good safety record is primarily due to having a safe place for our models to crash, much more so than skill, equipment reliability, and preparation to prevent crashes.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:23 PM
NorfolkSouthern

Yes, cj_rumley, there's a difference. But the difference isn't so much the type of RC equipment. It's the people who are on the sticks. For example: Most folks who buy a drone at a toy store, have no affiliation with aviation. NONE. It doesn't matter to them that a full-scale aircraft may be in the vicinity, and they'll carry the belief that the full-scale is totally unreachable anyway. What harm can a toy do, right?

On the other hand, probably a good number of hobbyists who fly their miniature replicas of full-sized planes, have had at least some form of contact with the full-scale community. And for that, they will likely have more empathy for the full-scale pilots. There is that "fraternal instinct" that many modelers carry when they are at the club, versus the back yard flyer with significantly reduce inhibitions. Am I right?
Old 12-16-2014, 05:53 PM
cj_rumley

Yes, cj_rumley, there's a difference. But the difference isn't so much the type of RC equipment. It's the people who are on the sticks. For example: Most folks who buy a drone at a toy store, have no affiliation with aviation. NONE. It doesn't matter to them that a full-scale aircraft may be in the vicinity, and they'll carry the belief that the full-scale is totally unreachable anyway. What harm can a toy do, right?

On the other hand, probably a good number of hobbyists who fly their miniature replicas of full-sized planes, have had at least some form of contact with the full-scale community. And for that, they will likely have more empathy for the full-scale pilots. There is that "fraternal instinct" that many modelers carry when they are at the club, versus the back yard flyer with significantly reduce inhibitions. Am I right?
Yes, I think you are right. You are talking about a different sort of drone than I had in mind, though. I was thinking primarily of what FAA refers to as civil or public UA rather than flying toys. As for 'toys' I don't have concerns over the vast majority of them, as most are smaller than what what AMA defines as a park flyer and have little mass, and so little kinetic energy to do much harm. I think you are talking about larger and heavier craft, e.g., the ubiquitous DJI Phantom that seems to pop up in an inordinate percentage of negative news reports. They are problematic to us because of their capabilities including range, FPV, can carry HD aerial photography and video equipment, etc., and perhaps most enabling of all, can be flown from a very small launch area. At this time I think AMA is doing all should do regarding them, by allowing them to be flown for just for the sport of flying at chartered clubs (if the club allows, some don't), subject to the same rules everyone else flying in that venue is. I think that is where AMA involvement with them should stop. For the majority that will not want be constrained to club flying sites and rules, I think our neighbors to the north got it right; after a near miss incident at a major airport, MAAC's response to the civil aviation authority and the press was to the effect "they aren't us." FAA has set limits on FPV operation in section 336 and will likely limit them to non-commercial use, along with 400' AGL ceiling for their operation. FAA can make it stick by taking enforcement action against at least the most egregious violators of the rules. AMA can't, and won't make a significant dent in the risks of operating them by conducting safety 'programming' and selling them insurance, and so would best follow MAAC's lead. I think the chances of that happening are represented numerically by a quantity that is small enough to be ignored.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:36 AM
Rob2160

My 2 cents worth on this - I am a qualified air crash investigator and during a 4 year period attended over 40 fatal aviation incidents.

The majority of them involved ultralights and gliders (>25) with most of the crashes caused by a lack of understanding the aerodynamics or the structural limitations.

Of the eleven crashes involving licensed pilots - four of them should not have been flying as they had undeclared (known) medical conditions which were a factor in the accidents.

Two further accidents occurred due to heart attacks in flight. (with no previous known medical issues)

Last edited by Rob2160; 12-17-2014 at 01:39 AM.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:33 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by Rob2160
My 2 cents worth on this - I am a qualified air crash investigator and during a 4 year period attended over 40 fatal aviation incidents. The majority of them involved ultralights and gliders (>25) with most of the crashes caused by a lack of understanding the aerodynamics or the structural limitations. Of the eleven crashes involving licensed pilots - four of them should not have been flying as they had undeclared (known) medical conditions which were a factor in the accidents. Two further accidents occurred due to heart attacks in flight. (with no previous known medical issues)
So was the four who flew with known medical conditions NOT self correcting? I wasn't trying to say that's the sole reason for crashes, just that those who fly w/ medical conditions will ultimately be more likely to pay for that poor decision with their lives.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:18 AM
Rob2160

So was the four who flew with known medical conditions NOT self correcting? I wasn't trying to say that's the sole reason for crashes, just that those who fly w/ medical conditions will ultimately be more likely to pay for that poor decision with their lives.
Unfortunately yes it was self correcting in those cases, too bad for the 'healthy' passengers though.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:35 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by Rob2160
Unfortunately yes it was self correcting in those cases, too bad for the 'healthy' passengers though.
Decisions have consequences.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:45 AM
Silent-AV8R

The major difference is that when a manned aircraft crashes due to a medical issue (known or unknown) the consequence are very often fatal to people in the aircraft and possibly people on the ground. With a camera equipped multicopter the consequences of a medical issue with the pilot are far less likely to be as severe and are almost certainly not going to involve a fatality.

If I pass out from a coronary while flying my Phantom quad it will stop and hover in place. I die while flying a 172 over the congested areas of Orange County and something very bad is likely to happen. So decisions have consequences, but not all consequences are equivalent.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:02 AM
Silent-AV8R

Deleted Duplicate post
Old 12-17-2014, 11:06 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
The major difference is that when a manned aircraft crashes due to a medical issue (known or unknown) the consequence are very often fatal to people in the aircraft and possibly people on the ground. With a camera equipped multicopter the consequences of a medical issue with the pilot are far less likely to be as severe and are almost certainly not going to involve a fatality.

If I pass out from a coronary while flying my Phantom quad it will stop and hover in place. I die while flying a 172 over the congested areas of Orange County and something very bad is likely to happen. So decisions have consequences, but not all consequences are equivalent.
True, but that's only IF the software works as designed, IF the GPS had a good fix, IF there's no interference, IF there are no other unexpected events, IF nobody else flies through that same airspace (the model has see and avoid responsibility, which it cannot do if the pilot is incapacitated). After all, wasn't it the Columbia accident team that said "complex systems fail in complex ways?" With Phantoms and other aircraft with this technology, extensive software programs for position fixing, stability, autonomous flight etc., I'd hardly call them simple. So flying in Southern California means flying in some of the most congested airspace in the US. Los Angeles, Ontario, Long Beach, John Wayne just to name the bigger ones. Then add to it Fullerton, Chino, etc. and all the approach patterns, and it's pretty busy. I don't feel the least bit comfortable relying on the autonomous programming in the Phantom to keep the traveling public safe in that airspace.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:15 AM
NorfolkSouthern

By requiring a medical certificate for commercial drone use, it appears to me like the FAA is targeting issues that may compromise public safety, such as personality and mood disorders. It's probably more a public safety issue. For now, anybody can get a drone. No background check required, no training required, and no need for any kind of knowledge about airspace and legal requirements.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:15 AM
NorfolkSouthern

By requiring a medical certificate for commercial drone use, it appears to me like the FAA is targeting issues that may compromise public safety, such as personality and mood disorders. For now, anybody can get a drone. No background check required, no training required, and no need for any kind of knowledge about airspace and legal requirements.

Last edited by NorfolkSouthern; 12-17-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:45 AM
Sport_Pilot

IMO some of the people WITH medical's are iffy. I knew a fellow pilot who was diabetic. But he passed the medical because he did not take insulin. He kept his bloodsugar in check by dite. But IMO at some point that will not work, and he probably won't know it is not working till he passes out. He had a number of minor incidints, I always wondered if due to his blood sugar level.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:43 PM
N410DC

You are correct. The mentality that is commonly held by "most folks" is the issue that is causing the problem in the first place. These people assume that a 3 pound quad would disintegrate if it were hit by a Cessna 150, and that the Cessna's pilot would never even be aware of the impact. They have no idea that slight damage to a prop (or ingestion into a turbine engine) can be catastrophic and fatal.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:39 AM
j41captn
My Feedback: (5)

I read what all of you are saying. If the FAA does require a commercial pilot certificate and a second class medical to fly drones commercially, does it mean that all drone operators will abide by the law and get a medical and a commercial certificate? NO! People still drink and drive and some still fly in IMC without an instrument rating. Some idiots still drink and fly, fly without a medical and fly out of currency. The sad things is that we hear about these people in the news. These idiots are the exceptions, not the rule. Remember, "YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID". We as RC hobbyist should set a good standard, be vigilant and abide by the law.

N410DC, I have hit birds at 140 kts and yes, the damage done by a 5 lbs. bird is significant. A 3 lbs drone would cause a lot of damage too, or maybe take down an aircraft.

Franklin_m, don't be so negative. This is a good forum.
Dave
Old 12-19-2014, 12:33 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by j41captn
I read what all of you are saying. If the FAA does require a commercial pilot certificate and a second class medical to fly drones commercially, does it mean that all drone operators will abide by the law and get a medical and a commercial certificate? NO! People still drink and drive and some still fly in IMC without an instrument rating. Some idiots still drink and fly, fly without a medical and fly out of currency. The sad things is that we hear about these people in the news. These idiots are the exceptions, not the rule. Remember, "YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID". We as RC hobbyist should set a good standard, be vigilant and abide by the law.

N410DC, I have hit birds at 140 kts and yes, the damage done by a 5 lbs. bird is significant. A 3 lbs drone would cause a lot of damage too, or maybe take down an aircraft.

Franklin_m, don't be so negative. This is a good forum.
Dave
Apparently you have become confused by some inaccurate statements made in this thread and in the forum. At present, the FAA has no rules in place for drone operations. There is a lot of speculation, most of it quite humorous, about what the FAA might do. But, there is nothing in place yet. The FAA has been making case-by-case exemptions for some form of commercial drone operations, but I am not a party to the specifics.

Recreational drone activities, we like to call it model aviation, are not regulated. We are expected to follow the guidance of existent FAA advisories (these are not regulations) to the extent that we don't endanger people, property or the NAS. When the new interpretation of section 336 of the FAA modernization act goes into effect, we will be expected to do essentially the same thing. Nothing will change for us.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:07 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This forum is going no place. It is all in the numbers and the model community fits that profile. People riding bicycles don't require a license do they. How many bicyclist cause accidents, plenty.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:49 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

The forum is doing fine.

Your example is a false equivalency. How many unmanned bikes have you seen this year interfere with the operation of aircraft? Or cruise around at 1,000 feet over people. Or have unintended fly-aways?
Old 12-20-2014, 11:06 AM
bradpaul

Originally Posted by porcia83
The forum is doing fine.

Your example is a false equivalency. How many unmanned bikes have you seen this year interfere with the operation of aircraft? Or cruise around at 1,000 feet over people. Or have unintended fly-aways?
However is the NTSB going to regulate and license radio control cars? What about FPV RC cars? You know there could be accidents caused by collisions between FPV RC cars with pedestrians and full scale cars. I have even seen RC cars operated in parking lots, the equivalent to airports for planes. As someone that has a license to drive full scale cars, I share the concern of the full scale pilots. These things need to stopped before planes fall from the sky and cars crash into a school bus or hit a nun on the sidewalk.

And don't get me going on the danger of FPV RC boats and swimmers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by bradpaul; 12-20-2014 at 11:09 AM.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:19 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

You left out RC Subs, Kites etc.

I suspect all of your concerns above would actually be addressed if and when any of those items start posing a substantive and real risk to the public. As a one in a million never gonna happen example though...nada.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.