Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

time to stop the dromes..........NOW

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

time to stop the dromes..........NOW

Old 11-27-2014, 06:57 AM
handyman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default time to stop the dromes..........NOW

as we read each day the problems of dromes is hurting us all......been in the hobby for over 40 yrs and would like to see 50 yrs of enjoyment.......but its got to stop now,people who sell these things and the people who use them.........or better yet who misuse them it needs to stop today....we will all be hurt over a few who dont care and only look at what they want to do.....the clubs should out law these things and the hobby shops who sell them should stop......what is going to happen is someone is gooding kill someone and the FAA will ground all of us.i say we stop it befor it gets to that point........big hobby supplyers should wait up and understand that is going on...lets put a stop to this today befor its to late..............
Old 11-27-2014, 07:26 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think drones are hurting us. The FAA is.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:44 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Old argument, an inanimate object doesn’t hurt anyone, careless attitudes and operators do. The genie is out of the bottle, the uninformed and those who insist no one has the right to tell them what to do have grabbed the spotlight. The general public inflamed by the media is demanding someone do something. The FAA is tasked with controlling these hooligans. They don’t have the resources and have no hope of keeping up with the technological advances that are happening.

Panic sets in and the banning begins. When owning/operating one of these becomes to hot a potato to handle the antagonizers who refuse to be reasonable will move on to the next thrill ride leaving the long term players to deal with the shambles.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:27 AM
bradpaul

Originally Posted by handyman
as we read each day the problems of dromes is hurting us all......been in the hobby for over 40 yrs and would like to see 50 yrs of enjoyment.......but its got to stop now,people who sell these things and the people who use them.........or better yet who misuse them it needs to stop today....we will all be hurt over a few who dont care and only look at what they want to do.....the clubs should out law these things and the hobby shops who sell them should stop......what is going to happen is someone is gooding kill someone and the FAA will ground all of us.i say we stop it befor it gets to that point........big hobby supplyers should wait up and understand that is going on...lets put a stop to this today befor its to late..............
This must be a troll, could anybody be that ignorant about the AMA, the FAA and where hobby shops, Horizon Hobby, Great Planes, HobbyKing are moving toward?
Old 11-27-2014, 09:21 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by bradpaul
This must be a troll, could anybody be that ignorant about the AMA, the FAA and where hobby shops, Horizon Hobby, Great Planes, HobbyKing are moving toward?
Right, add to that to his poor spelling, incoherent grammar and sentence structure, the inability to punctuate and total failure to follow even the simplest levels of logic. This guy is a loser. when I first saw "dromes" all I could think was LOL!

Toy drones are here to stay. The real problem is ignorance and irresponsibility.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:22 AM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

whatsa "drome"?

short for airdrome, or what?
Old 11-27-2014, 10:35 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
I don't think drones are hurting us. The FAA is.
+ 1
Old 11-27-2014, 12:23 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Gentlemen, please do not attack a poster simply because of the way they structure their message here or they fact that they may have a typo here as they put a message as they post. I could go back through any member of RCU through their history and find typos and words that were not spelled correctly. If you want to disagree with the message that a member is putting posting that is fine, but there is no reason at all to attack the member just because you don't agree with that member. These issues that we face here are monumental considering what the end result could be towards our hobby, this is a not the time to be bickering with each other. If you can't discuss these matters without resorting to attacking each other then I would suggest that you simply refrain from entering in the discussion because I will take actions if this doesn't stop. But I know we are a better group of people than this guys.

Ken
Old 11-27-2014, 01:29 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I would think the first thing everyone needs to do is learn the difference between a drone and most other aircraft. And everyone just as well get use to the idea that some form of regulation is coming.
Old 11-27-2014, 01:40 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Handyman: look at this link posted by Fox News today.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014...rliners-spike/

Last edited by FLAPHappy; 11-27-2014 at 01:44 PM.
Old 11-27-2014, 02:18 PM
smeckert

Wow started to read the comments, might have caught a mild case of retardation.

Better clarify, on that link posted above.
Old 11-27-2014, 02:55 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't worry the home grown Islamist will do it for us.
Old 11-27-2014, 03:26 PM
GOGGLES PIZANO

Hello ....my two cents if you will.most people do not have a proper understanding about how serious this drone issue is.I live in new York and there have been at least five or six drone investigations concerning airline pilot reports of drone flying in airliner airspace.the last report a pilot says a drone at three thousand feet off his left wing near JFK.we are in big jepordy and it can get ugly real.fast for.all.of us.I feel.the Ama has dragged its feet.we. very well.may have a somewhat regulated hobby as we do fly aircraft.if one commercial aircraft smacks a drone the faa will be on us like a piranha.
Old 11-27-2014, 04:24 PM
bradpaul

Like it or not the AMA has fully embraced the new technologies when flown for recreational use and within the guidelines of the AMA Safety Code and Documents 550, 551, 560, 570, 580. Flying within those guidelines will allow exemption from additional regulation per Sec 336 of PL 112-95.

As for those that are ignorant of the proper way to fly FPV and endanger the NAS, then bring down the wrath of the FAA and the legal system on them. If the pilot turns out to be an AMA member then the EC should expel them from membership. The way we save what er love to do is by following the rules and flying safely. Not by trying to ban a type of model aircraft.
Old 11-27-2014, 04:39 PM
RC_MAN
My Feedback: (11)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Why not limit how high they can go.
Old 11-27-2014, 04:51 PM
bradpaul

Originally Posted by RC_MAN
Why not limit how high they can go.
As any RC model, fixed wing sport plane, fixed wing, war bird, single rotor heli, glider, quad copter CAN BE EQUIPPED WITH FPV your suggestion would set a altitude cap for all models. A 400' cap would eliminate soaring, aerobatic pattern and turbine jets..

Punish the unsafe flyers not those that fly by AMA (CBO) guidelines.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:00 PM
asimatt
My Feedback: (26)

Originally Posted by JohnShe
Right, add to that to his poor spelling, incoherent grammar and sentence structure, the inability to punctuate and total failure to follow even the simplest levels of logic. This guy is a loser. when I first saw "dromes" all I could think was LOL!

Toy drones are here to stay. The real problem is ignorance and irresponsibility.
You sir are the loser. Another person 10 feet tall and bullet proof behind a key board. So tired of people like you on the internet. You make sites like this difficult to come back to. Sorry
Old 11-27-2014, 05:03 PM
franklin_m

It seems that the problem intensified when three technologies were finally integrated: quads w/ self stabilization, self navigation, and FPV. I would wonder what would happen if say two of those three went away? While I wish that everyone would follow the rules, that doesn't seem to have worked out too well so far. Stiff fines will help, but the problem is that the best way to consequence human behavior is reinforcement that is "Positive Immediate and Certain or Negative Immediate and Certain." Current enforcement mechanisms are anything but immediate and certain. So from the potential offender's standpoint, it's a low probability - high consequence calculation. I like to believe that AMA members won't be the downfall of RC aircraft flying as we know it, non-AMA members are doing a pretty good job of putting us on that path. However, while we can complain about "them", the reality is that AMA/AMA code doesn't matter a bit to the traveling public - a group that just wants to know they can put their kids in an airliner and it's not going to be endangered by a "drone."
Old 11-27-2014, 05:04 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by RCKen
Gentlemen, please do not attack a poster simply because of the way they structure their message here or they fact that they may have a typo here as they put a message as they post. I could go back through any member of RCU through their history and find typos and words that were not spelled correctly. If you want to disagree with the message that a member is putting posting that is fine, but there is no reason at all to attack the member just because you don't agree with that member. These issues that we face here are monumental considering what the end result could be towards our hobby, this is a not the time to be bickering with each other. If you can't discuss these matters without resorting to attacking each other then I would suggest that you simply refrain from entering in the discussion because I will take actions if this doesn't stop. But I know we are a better group of people than this guys.

Ken
Thank you.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:04 PM
binns aero

If your the only one standing with a hammer, in a room full of busted china your going to be corrected one way or the other.If the AMA wasn't around the FAA would be driving around in patrol cars. But because we are here,(AMA) we are going to have to accept the "corrections". Time moves foward, and so will the rc world. Happy Holidays!
Old 11-27-2014, 05:19 PM
franklin_m

If I had to make a prediction, I'd say we're looking down the barrel at absolutely nothing higher than 400' AGL, no FPV, no autonomous, and heavy restrictions inside/under class B/C airspace. It wouldn't surprise me to see limitations even in/near small airports as well.

Last edited by franklin_m; 11-28-2014 at 05:11 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-27-2014, 05:24 PM
JohnShe

OK,let's try it this way, when they outlaw drones only outlaws will have drones. Prohibition was a failure for the same reason. The only right thing to do is make every effort to educate the public. Obviously, this will fail as too many people refuse to be educated. The next step, is for local law enforcement to hunt down the perpetrators and bring them in for justice. Over time the mass public will become aware of this and either quit doing stupid things or more likely continue until they are caught. In the meantime, we responsible people will continue to be responsible and support law enforcement if or when the opportunity arises.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:29 PM
franklin_m

Here's a link to a NYT story, along with a link to FAA spreadsheet of reports.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/1...y-issues/?_r=0
Old 11-27-2014, 05:34 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Just another O'L GEZZER with an attitude ... If I don't do it no buddy should be allowed to do it.
It will all blow over when the Media get's something else to exploit. People didn't like Gas or Jets or Letric when it first appeared. If U eliminate any one U soon will be eliminated too. If they can limit one they can limit all, and will.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:57 PM
franklin_m

Here's some preliminary analysis from the FAA spreadsheet:

Top 10 locations:
[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD]California[/TD]
[TD]25[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]New York[/TD]
[TD]20[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Florida[/TD]
[TD]17[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Georgia[/TD]
[TD]10[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Virginia[/TD]
[TD]10[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]New Jersey[/TD]
[TD]9[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Texas[/TD]
[TD]9[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]District of Columbia[/TD]
[TD]8[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Michigan[/TD]
[TD]7[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Oregon[/TD]
[TD]7
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Totals by Year & month
[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD]2-2014[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]3-2014[/TD]
[TD]2[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]4-2014[/TD]
[TD]5[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]5-2014[/TD]
[TD]11[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]6-2014[/TD]
[TD]16[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]7-2014[/TD]
[TD]38[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]8-2014[/TD]
[TD]30[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]9-2014[/TD]
[TD]41[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]10-2014[/TD]
[TD]41[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]11-2014[/TD]
[TD]8[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.