Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

time to stop the dromes..........NOW

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

time to stop the dromes..........NOW

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 02:06 PM
Flyfast1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is a drome?

-Ed B.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:42 PM
cj_rumley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bradpaul
At $84 a year (Enthusiast) with no insurance, I just don't see a huge rush to membership. Heck with all the *****ing and moaning about AMA dues at $58 with insurance and a magazine why would uneducated FPV flyers pay $84 for no insurance and YES HEAVEN FORBID A MAGAZINE?
Is that offered as a reason why AMA should get involved with representing civil/public UAS interests?
Old 12-16-2014, 03:41 PM
bradpaul

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Is that offered as a reason why AMA should get involved with representing civil/public UAS interests?
Just an observation......... $84 for a magazine and some discount cupons?
Old 12-16-2014, 03:56 PM
bradpaul

So franklin_m which way do you want it?

In this post:
I'll probably start a firestorm here, but actually I'd rather see more of my AMA $$ go directly to flying site assistance & insurance, with dramatic cuts to competitions, the Muncie facility, the museum, and the magazine. If AMA wants to promote flying, they need to have more places to fly - it's pretty simple. How many new members are going to join AMA due to the Muncie facility? How many new members will join because of the museum? How may will join because of the magazine?

You want a smaller headquarters staff ..............................

In this post:
As someone who does policy making for a living, I'd note the soft non specific words like "advisor", "coordinate", "awareness training", "promote", and "encourage" and the complete absence of words like "enforce." Hence my comment about lack of an enforcement arm.

You want the creation of AMA Police................ Just how many AMA Police would be needed to cover all the AMA Club flyers and non Club flyers?
Great idea create a model aviation equivalent of TSA...........
Old 12-16-2014, 05:34 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Default well

well
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Order re Foreign Person.pdf (573.4 KB, 40 views)
Old 12-16-2014, 06:07 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by bradpaul
So franklin_m which way do you want it?

In this post:

You want a smaller headquarters staff ..............................

In this post:

You want the creation of AMA Police................ Just how many AMA Police would be needed to cover all the AMA Club flyers and non Club flyers?
Great idea create a model aviation equivalent of TSA...........
I don't recall saying anywhere about a smaller HQ staff. I recall saying that I want less put into Muncie flying site, less into competitions, and less into the museum. As to the enforcement piece, the simple observation is that either AMA is going to do it, or in the absence of AMA doing something, the FAA will. And I guarantee we won't like the way the FAA does it. So, for the AMA to have credibility with the FAA as a CBO, then there has to be more than what they have. For example, look at SCUBA diving. There are two major certification agencies out there, PADI and another. Each has a management system that creates minimum standards for each certification, tests to those standards, and standardizes instructors. It also means that those who don't meet the standards don't get to dive.

What would that look like in model aviation? Well, the CBO would set minimum standards required to fly, which would probably include some sort of test, along with a practical demonstration of skills. Sounds easy, but it's not. First you have to agree on standards, both for the test content and the practical skills. Then you have to ensure that your instructor cadre interprets and enforces these standards uniformly. Then of course, just like diving, there were be various advanced certifications. And all of those have to be standardized as well. I submit that's what a CBO really looks like, and the enforcement comes through the certification process mostly, with a few having certifications revoked when they do something dangerous.

Both aspects of enforcement are required - certification structure that means something (i.e. fogging a mirror doesn't mean you get certified) and pulling certifications if required. The CBO can do it or we'll end up with the FAA doing it, and I guarantee we won't like the way the FAA does it.

Last edited by franklin_m; 12-16-2014 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:31 PM
Maximilionalpha

Have you guys even thought about it like this, in the case that the FAA and AMA, started setting standards, for what it takes to fly your rc planes/quads/heli's, that they end up putting an age cap(both minimum and maximum) somewhere in the writings? Then, would you be so happy with their interference?
Old 12-16-2014, 06:43 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by Maximilionalpha
Have you guys even thought about it like this, in the case that the FAA and AMA, started setting standards, for what it takes to fly your rc planes/quads/heli's, that they end up putting an age cap(both minimum and maximum) somewhere in the writings? Then, would you be so happy with their interference?
It sounds like you are saying that you don't like the AMA safety guidelines. What do you think is wrong with the guidelines? I ask this with the certain knowledge that most AMA flyers like them, the FAA likes them and they have been working fine for over 75 years.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:52 PM
robbinsp
My Feedback: (10)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSIBsJk1bKw

there are more important things to worry about.

be wise, reflect on what matters to the heart. if you have an hour, this documentary may be the most valuable hour of your life if you are in contemplation.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:56 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by Flyfast1
What is a drome?

-Ed B.
Were you sleeping when we wore that joke out?
Old 12-16-2014, 06:57 PM
Maximilionalpha

Originally Posted by JohnShe
It sounds like you are saying that you don't like the AMA safety guidelines. What do you think is wrong with the guidelines? I ask this with the certain knowledge that most AMA flyers like them, the FAA likes them and they have been working fine for over 75 years.
Well, not so much the AMA, as opposed to the FAA involving itself into the hobbyist past-time, entertainment.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:25 PM
JohnShe

Well, not so much the AMA, as opposed to the FAA involving itself into the hobbyist past-time, entertainment.
Well, the FAA has not, is not and will not involve itself in true recreational activities so you have nothing to worry about.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:32 PM
Maximilionalpha

Well, the FAA has not, is not and will not involve itself in true recreational activities so you have nothing to worry about.
Do you promise me, John? Please tell me that you, promise John!?
Old 12-16-2014, 07:51 PM
JohnShe

Do you promise me, John? Please tell me that you, promise John!?
The facts are the facts whether you believe them or not.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:06 PM
Maximilionalpha

The facts are the facts whether you believe them or not.
Lighten up! Get a sense of humor! And I thought Pennsylvanians had a rye sense of humor...
Old 12-16-2014, 08:31 PM
JohnShe

Lighten up! Get a sense of humor! And I thought Pennsylvanians had a rye sense of humor...
In VA (Virginia) we like irony.

That's why we believe that facts have liberal bias.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:24 AM
phlpsfrnk

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
well
Okay, if I understand this correctly Raphael Pirker lost his last appeal on the basis that the FAA did not have regulatory authority over model aircraft and he is now appealing on the basis that he is a “foreign person” and this is his “Third Affirmative Defense.” Have I got that right?

[ATTACH]2055795[/IMG]

I’m not going to speculate on his chances this time, but one has to wonder what he has paid in legal fees thus far? After all is said and done paying the $10,000 fine may have been the cheaper alternative.

Frank
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Order re Foreign Person.pdf (573.4 KB, 19 views)
Old 12-17-2014, 04:13 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by phlpsfrnk
Okay, if I understand this correctly Raphael Pirker lost his last appeal on the basis that the FAA did not have regulatory authority over model aircraft and he is now appealing on the basis that he is a “foreign person” and this is his “Third Affirmative Defense.” Have I got that right?

[ATTACH]2055795[/IMG]

I’m not going to speculate on his chances this time, but one has to wonder what he has paid in legal fees thus far? After all is said and done paying the $10,000 fine may have been the cheaper alternative.

Frank
I had a friend that spent probably over $100.000 1968 dollars going all the way to the Wisconsin Supreme Court over a few thousand dollars with the IRS. Long story short He said was a Manufacture buying and cutting up steel and selling Steel and they said he was a processor. The problem was they could tax his equipment as personal property or something like that. But it was the PRINCIPLE of the thing not withing over the next 30 years his taxes would have been much more than the 100K. If Raphael Pirker gives up what do U think is going to happen to all of us? Principle does have it's plane
Old 12-17-2014, 04:31 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

[ATTACH]2055795[/IMG]

Frank
He had paid nothing for his defense, it's being done pro bono. I don't know if when he set out going about his business he expected to the test case, and had funds ready for either a fine or legal fees, but it seems to have worked out for him in either case. So far. There were probably better ways to go about effecting change (or getting closure scrutiny), but he seems to be the poster child for the issue, for better or worse.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:32 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

[ATTACH]2055795[/IMG]

Frank
He had paid nothing for his defense, it's being done pro bono. I don't know if when he set out going about his business he expected to be the test case, and had funds ready for either a fine or legal fees, but it seems to have worked out for him in either case. So far. There were probably better ways to go about effecting change (or getting closure scrutiny), but he seems to be the poster child for the issue, for better or worse.

Last edited by porcia83; 12-17-2014 at 04:35 AM.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:01 AM
phlpsfrnk

Originally Posted by porcia83
He had paid nothing for his defense, it's being done pro bono. I don't know if when he set out going about his business he expected to be the test case, and had funds ready for either a fine or legal fees, but it seems to have worked out for him in either case. So far. There were probably better ways to go about effecting change (or getting closure scrutiny), but he seems to be the poster child for the issue, for better or worse.
Pro bono or not, somebody is paying the bill for his defense and it is us tax payers that are paying for the prosecution. He was operating a commercial enterprise in the USA and in the process operated an unauthorized "drone" in a careless and reckless manner. Who pays the fine after all his appeals have failed? Did his "foreign company have the proper permits to operate in this country? Did his company pay taxes on its earned income? Did he? Has the IRS looked into this yet?

Frank
Old 12-17-2014, 08:04 AM
phlpsfrnk

Originally Posted by HoundDog
If Raphael Pirker gives up what do U think is going to happen to all of us?
Nothing!
Old 12-17-2014, 08:57 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Pro bono or not, somebody is paying the bill for his defense and it is us tax payers that are paying for the prosecution.
Frank
For sure on that one. as of now, probably more money spent trying prosecute and fine than any fine will ever amount too. Sad to say the very least.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:21 AM
HoundDog

Pro bono or not, somebody is paying the bill for his defense and it is us tax payers that are paying for the prosecution. He was operating a commercial enterprise in the USA and in the process operated an unauthorized "drone" in a careless and reckless manner. Who pays the fine after all his appeals have failed? Did his "foreign company have the proper permits to operate in this country? Did his company pay taxes on its earned income? Did he? Has the IRS looked into this yet?

Frank
Frank quit your winning them POOR Lawyers have to eat too LOL
Old 12-17-2014, 09:23 AM
HoundDog

Nothing!
Bet your Life and the Life of this hobby on that ... I'm not willing to. Only a fool takes chances like that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.