Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

time to stop the dromes..........NOW

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

time to stop the dromes..........NOW

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 05:18 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by franklin_m
It doesn't matter whether the FAA is or not, given that they have all the power, the best AMA can hope for at this point is to limit the losses.
Hey Navy: Just got this from a budy of mine that spent 32 years with TWA U'll enjoy it.

Naval Aviator

On a carrier, the Naval Aviator looks over at the Catapult Officer ("Shooter") who gives the run up engines signal by rotating his finger above his head. The pilot pushes the throttle forward, verifies all flight controls are operational, checks all gauges, and gives the Cat officer a brisk salute, continuing the Navy/Marine tradition of asking permission to leave the ship. The Cat officer drops to one knee while swooping his arm forward and pointing down deck, granting that permission. The pilot is immediately catapulted and becomes airborne.

Air Force Pilot

We Air Force Navigators have all seen Air Force Pilots look up just before beginning to taxi for takeoff and the ground crew waits until the pilot's thumb is sticking straight up. The crew chief then confirms that he sees the thumb, salutes, and the Air Force pilot then takes off. This time-tested tradition is the last link in the Air Force procedural safety net to confirm that the pilot does not have his thumb up his But.

Army Aviator

If you've ever seen an Army helicopter pilot preparing for takeoff, you will note that the pilot gives the ground guy a thumbs up before he is given hover and takeoff signals. There are two theories about the origin of this gesture. One is that it is to show that the pilot has identified which of his fingers is the thumb so that he will be able to properly operate his rotor wing's several controls. The most compelling theory says that this is to show the ground crewman that the pilot indeed knows which direction is up.

Old 12-22-2014, 05:53 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Hey Navy: Just got this from a budy of mine that spent 32 years with TWA U'll enjoy it.
I like it. Though I do have a lot of respect for my Army brothers. One of my close friends is a retired Blackhawk driver from the 160th Special Air Operations Regiment.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:35 PM
HoundDog

I like it. Though I do have a lot of respect for my Army brothers. One of my close friends is a retired Blackhawk driver from the 160th Special Air Operations Regiment.
It's just a JOKE
Old 12-22-2014, 07:16 PM
randall1959
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A quad at 500' can do considerable damage. Consider the Military Training Routes. Up to ten miles wide, altitudes below 1500AGL (there are a few that have legs surface to above 1500AGL), speeds in excess of 250KIAS, and all over the US. I know AMA doesn't publish those NOTAMS. routes are on VFR sectionals.
So can a goose, hawk, buzzard, seagull and some other large birds and I would dare say there are far more birds around airports than quads.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:22 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by randall1959
So can a goose, hawk, buzzard, seagull and some other large birds and I would dare say there are far more birds around airports than quads.
Yes, and there are bird control programs in / around airports for that very reason. Quads in/around airports is completely preventable.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:44 PM
HoundDog

Yes, and there are bird control programs in / around airports for that very reason. Quads in/around airports is completely preventable.
Navy: Nobudy is arguing that EC should be keep away from Air Ports. What people are saying that with Proper caution al of these disciplines can coexist with GA airports and at 5 miles or more from class B & C we stay away from ...

There has to be a way to educate the public as to the proper use of RC in the area where they should not be flown.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:09 AM
franklin_m

Navy: Nobudy is arguing that EC should be keep away from Air Ports. What people are saying that with Proper caution al of these disciplines can coexist with GA airports and at 5 miles or more from class B & C we stay away from ...

There has to be a way to educate the public as to the proper use of RC in the area where they should not be flown.
HD. In a perfect world, yes, we could educate. Unfortunately, licensed pilots are still gooning up and entering airspace where they shouldn't be. Given that they've got a much higher level of education and awareness of airspace than most anyone else, do we really expect rich little Johnny is going to be better?
Old 12-23-2014, 06:58 AM
bradpaul

And just like the quad flyers the birds sometimes don't get with the program.
[h=2]Bird Strike Hazards to Aircraft[/h]Birds represent a serious, but often misunderstood, threat to aircraft. Most bird strikes do not result in any aircraft damage, but some bird strikes have led to serious accidents involving aircraft of every size. According toBirdstrike Committee USA, bird and other wildlife strikes to aircraft result in over $600 million in damage to US civil and military aviation each year. The lives of the crew and passegers are also at risk. Since 1988, over 200 people have been killed worldwide as a result of encounters with birds and other wildlife.

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2014/12...ke-109793.html
Old 12-23-2014, 12:42 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

You bet there is....and I know of one group that spending a considerable amount of money to help put together educational programs of all types for pilots of all types. I'll give you a hint on the group.....their name starts with A, and ends with A.
Old 12-23-2014, 02:21 PM
HoundDog

[QUOTE=porcia83;11946842]You bet there is....and I know of one group that spending a considerable amount of money to help put together educational programs of all types for pilots of all types. I'll give you a hint on the group.....their name starts with A, and ends with A.
Would that be the ADFpvA "Anti-Drone & FPV Assassins"

Old 12-24-2014, 01:54 AM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by porcia83
LOL.. don't mess with Skippy!

Last edited by Rob2160; 12-24-2014 at 06:00 AM.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:13 PM
crash99
My Feedback: (3)

Wow, lots of reading, I would not say good reading.

1. Clubs can limit membership and flying.

well that is true if your goal is to push the flying in a more public area like your city park. Then when a mishap happens you can say yep, we caused that to happen.

2. No one would even talk to me .....

Well if your playing the fun police / the local control freak, I'm sure that could happen. If most of the club did not see a issue why push it? I am glad we don't see either the fun policeman or the crazy RC pilot.

3. Flying near airports are bad.

ok, international airports - you bet but not your local airport. There are many clubs located on and next to the local airport.

4. Our club gives out written warnings.
You guys have more issues that worrying about FPV. Fix your hate problems first and build a good club. A fun to fly at club.

5. Now your calling Raphael Pirker a fool.

name calling Really!

6. Point out Drone fly a ways

Ok they happen but what about all the circle flying heavy warbirds that have been caught on video striking people?

7. Let's fine the LHS for selling FPV items without seeing a ham lic.
Ok, so screw over the LHS vender so the over seas vender can make more money.

Well, you guys have been busy on this issue. Now tomorrow there will be millions more UAV s in the US alone. Sleep tight and dream about all those evil drones. I just hope I get one

Crash99
Old 12-24-2014, 01:49 PM
NorfolkSouthern

Quad copters are the wave of the future. Circle flying is all well and great, but eventually it will come down to practical use of the device. Many people leave the RC hobby due to boredom. Now, I recently met with a group of full-scale pilots. Some were instructors, others were members of the EAA and AOPA. They all feel that the FAA has gone too far in limiting drones, especially ones that weigh less than 5 pounds. I checked the areal map and the takeoff routes that were posted at the FBO, and it specifies a climb out to 2,500 feet AGL. That's easily high enough to make most anything currently flying at a club speck out and nearly vanish. It can be a little difficult to see people at that altitude, and there were times where I could hear, but not see a full-scale aircraft flying in my vicinity. I'll give my honest opinion: There's a pretty good cushion between a typical small electric and a full-scale craft flying overhead at 3,000 feet. Nobody that I know is going to bat an eye if they see a quad flying just over the tree tops. They probably won't see it anyway.
Old 12-25-2014, 02:58 PM
randall1959

Originally Posted by porcia83
You bet there is....and I know of one group that spending a considerable amount of money to help put together educational programs of all types for pilots of all types. I'll give you a hint on the group.....their name starts with A, and ends with A.
That's all well and fine but there are areas that you would have to travel a considerable distance to find a flying field. I, myself, was also a member of two clubs and I have to be totally honest when I say that some of the most unsafe, reckless, thoughtless people I ever knew flew at both of those clubs that have membership that begins and ends with an "A". I saw ragtag, taped up, worn out junk that was allowed along with some electronic equipment that was spotty at best. At one fun fly I was nearly decapitated by a 70 year old man who's spotter had let his attention wander and the old boy crashed his giant scale Stinger right behind me. I saw giant scale warbirds buzz the runway not more than 15 feet from the pits. I saw people who were under the influence allowed to fly because they had money and no one wanted to tell them no. I saw one of these fools come to the field obviously drunk, and then we had to wait in horror as his 1/3 scale extra had to burn fuel for nearly an hour because he had forgotten to tighten a throttle linkage and it fell off.
Just because a club is aligned with a particular insurer by no means makes that club a safe place to fly nor does it mean that those who fly there will abide by any safety rules. I've also seen this mentality at events that were sponsored by the AMA and even had AMA show teams at them. But you let someone show up at any of these fields with a heli or a quadcopter or want to fly FPV and you would think we got out gattling guns. This is why I got out of the AMA and away from clubs. Most are run for the advancement of the few and every club I've ever been involved in has had a core group that dictated to the many. I've seen some pretty heavy handed actions on the part of some members of the AMA toward others and those same people weren't exactly the paragons of virtue. By and large, most members of the AMA would just as soon throw FPV and quadcopters under the bus. The only reason the AMA even got into this whole thing is because the FAA started to look at them very closely and it made those in power very nervous.
Just like having a drivers license doesn't mean you're going to be a safe driver, having AMA insurance and a pretty card doesn't guarantee that you're safe to be around either.
While I have no problems with the FAA coming down hard on those who are unsafe, I also object to the FAA telling me that I'm safer if I join a club. The FAA should go to check some of the AMA fields in secret before they go saying you're safer if you belong to a club.

Last edited by randall1959; 12-25-2014 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-25-2014, 03:09 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Do you speak for most members of the AMA, I'm guessing you don't, so not sure why you're making a pronouncement that most would throw FPV and multi-rotors out? And unless you've been a member of most clubs (looks like you've only be a member of 2), I'll note there doesn't appear to be basis in truth noting that most are "run for the advancement of a few" (lol....for what, glory and riches?). The ones "dictating" are often times the ones that raise their hands to get involved, rather than just show up and fly. AMA and club membership aren't for everyone, and certainly isn't required to fly and have fun. Many folks are lucky to be able to fly in open spaces and not have to deal with anyone hassling them. Many others like belonging to a club, and enjoy flying with others. To each their own.
Old 12-25-2014, 03:12 PM
randall1959

I've been to funflies at clubs that were close to home and far away and it was always the same. And it was by far more than just two clubs that I saw this mentality at. This is why I got out of the AMA and quit flying at clubs. I have absolutely no problem paying dues and doing my part to maintain a field but I won't throw money away on projects that only benefit a few people. The last straw for me was watching all the back biting and infighting that went on between a few local clubs. I got sick of the rumors and the BS that was sounding more like a group of ten year olds than grown adults. A whole lot of us left the AMA for the same reason.

Last edited by randall1959; 12-25-2014 at 03:47 PM.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:01 PM
Propworn

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Why does it seem so much simpler anywhere but the US

http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?nid=900449

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviatio...i-uav-2265.htm
Old 12-25-2014, 05:07 PM
Propworn

Originally Posted by randall1959
I've been to funflies at clubs that were close to home and far away and it was always the same. And it was by far more than just two clubs that I saw this mentality at. This is why I got out of the AMA and quit flying at clubs. I have absolutely no problem paying dues and doing my part to maintain a field but I won't throw money away on projects that only benefit a few people. The last straw for me was watching all the back biting and infighting that went on between a few local clubs. I got sick of the rumors and the BS that was sounding more like a group of ten year olds than grown adults. A whole lot of us left the AMA for the same reason.
Well Randall I have spent hours on the road across Canada and in my travels in the US from Windsor/Detroit to Florida, Georgia and Fort Worth Texas stopping and flying at as many clubs as I can and I have never experienced any of the problems you speak of. Nothing but hospitality and a warm friendly welcome. Many times I had to depend on word of mouth to find the next club on my adventures and I cannot remember a single incident where someone put down another club. What are the chances you bring some of this stuff on yourself? When I comes to attitude sometimes you reap what you sow.

Dennis
Old 12-25-2014, 05:21 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by Propworn

It's deja vu all over again. http://www.faa.gov/uas/publications/...aft_operators/
Old 12-25-2014, 07:11 PM
Propworn

Originally Posted by JohnShe
Not really there's no waffling on penalties or enforcement [h=2]5.0 UNMANNED AIR VEHICLE (UAV) SYSTEMS[/h][h=3]5.1. General[/h]
  1. There are different mechanisms to allow you to operate a UAV system.
    1. If your UAV has a maximum take-off weight not exceeding 2 kg (4.4 lbs), you may be eligible to operate under a regulatory exemption.
    2. If your UAV has a maximum take-off weight exceeding 2 kg (4.4 lbs), but not exceeding 25 kg (55 lbs), you may be eligible to operate under a separate regulatory exemption.
    3. Or If your proposed operation does not meet the conditions above and cannot be conducted under an exemption, you must apply for a special flight operations certificate.
[h=3]5.2. Penalties Relating to the Use of UAV Systems[/h]
  1. Penalties may be assessed in the amount of $5,000 for an individual and $25,000 for a corporation for operating without a special flight operations certificate when one is required.
  2. Penalties may be assessed in the amount of $3,000 for an individual and $15,000 for a corporation for failure to comply with the conditions of a special flight operations certificate.
  3. The Criminal Code of Canada describes several offences involving the dangerous operation of aircraft and endangering the safety of other aircraft. Committing such offences is punishable by monetary penalties and/or jail time including imprisonment for life.
  4. Other penalties may apply against other regulations outlined in section 2.0.
[h=3]5.3. Reporting[/h]
  1. The reporting requirements for UAV accidents or incidents will be included in the special flight operations certificate.
  2. The Civil Aviation Issues Reporting System provides you with a means to raise issues (concerns, complaints and suggestions for improvement) to Transport Canada. It is a tool to anonymously report any suspicious aviation activity, such as illegal or unsafe use of any aircraft.
  3. The more specific the details about a perceived contravention, the easier it is for Transport Canada’s enforcement officials to process the report.
  4. If you suspect someone has committed a criminal offence, please contact your local police department.
Old 12-25-2014, 07:25 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by Propworn
Not really there's no waffling on penalties or enforcement 5.0 UNMANNED AIR VEHICLE (UAV) SYSTEMS

5.1. General

BLAH BLAH .... BLAH
I have no interest in the commercial side of drone operations. My comment was based on the similarity between the Canadian and US take on recreational drones. They are essentially the same and quite simple.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:49 AM
ljonesii

Everything we fly is a UAV. Umanned aerial vehicle. So they are all "drones". What is the difference between a gadget that has one, two, three or four props, or which way they are pulling the aircraft. None! The issue is people who do not associate with the AMA and do not fly in AMA approved areas. They are who is hurting us. Age old problem, people who do not follow the rules punishing those who do follow the rules. The FAA needs to establish (and I think they are working on it) for all of the non AMA users.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:42 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by JohnShe
I have no interest in the commercial side of drone operations. My comment was based on the similarity between the Canadian and US take on recreational drones. They are essentially the same and quite simple.
It doesn't matter in the least what JohnShe wants, is interested in Or for that matter what anyone in the AMA feels, thinks, or cares about. There are over twice as many people in this country that are flying some sort of R/C DRONE and probably even more that wish to do it commercially for profit. These company's have or will have far more invested in this Form of R/C (DRONES) than all the AMA'ers put together. Now who do U think is going to have more clout with congress ... Boeing , General Dynamics, Lockheed. and every oil company and electric company and every branch of law enforcement including the border patrol and every city state and sheriff dept in this country. in the USA. It doesn't matter what 175000 AMAer's want or don't want. The best we can hope for is they just let us fly how we have been flying for the past 75 years.
Old 12-26-2014, 03:29 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

The AMA tried to do that for 20 years. The general public doesn't want to follow a few simple rules because it interferes with their fun. When are you going to realize that - just look at some of those people who respond on this board!
Old 12-26-2014, 04:40 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by rgburrill
The AMA tried to do that for 20 years. The general public doesn't want to follow a few simple rules because it interferes with their fun. When are you going to realize that - just look at some of those people who respond on this board!
Then the FAA will make all kinds of New Regs to deal with the perceived problem. I don't really see a problem for those of us that fly on a AMA charted field or anyone flying over unpopulated areas more than 5 miles from any Airport

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.