Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

time to stop the dromes..........NOW

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

time to stop the dromes..........NOW

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 10:25 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ramboamt
Sporty, "GPS TRACKER" Progressive insurance already has this. It is an item you use in your car to track your movements to justify the mileage driven per month/year you report on your application for insurance.
Not only does it show mileage, it can also show the frequency of use, the general areas covered, and even the driving style (acceleration, braking etc). That little thing captures a ton of data. The question for the consumer is, should I give up this data in exchange for a better deal on insurance. I wouldn't, but many do.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:56 AM
phlpsfrnk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
Not only does it show mileage, it can also show the frequency of use, the general areas covered, and even the driving style (acceleration, braking etc). That little thing captures a ton of data. The question for the consumer is, should I give up this data in exchange for a better deal on insurance. I wouldn't, but many do.
I can foresee sometime in the future where analysis of the data will govern your insurance rates (Up and Down) and another question I have is could the data be subpoenaed in the case of a lawsuit?

Frank
Old 01-22-2015, 11:14 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by foodstick
You know after all the talk about Amazon using them for deliveries it dawned on me a few months ago that drugs were probably the thing that would be most feasible to deliver by drone.
Well yeah! If you are busting the law anyway what's a few more FAA regs?
Old 01-22-2015, 11:19 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Sporty:
Maybe every automobile and truck should be equipped with video and voice recorders and black boxes. Better yet all be equipped with GPS trackers so the vehicle reports any violations that a driver commits and assigns points to their License as needed.

"CAREFUL BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING"
You do understand that I was refering to commercial aviation where their voices, position, and instrument readings are presently recorded, don't you? I can't see that a video of what is in front of the plane would be violating any privacy that isn't already void.

Last edited by Sport_Pilot; 01-22-2015 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:20 AM
Sport_Pilot

I wouldn't but that is mostly because I suspect I drive more than the average bear.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:25 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by ramboamt
Sporty, "GPS TRACKER" Progressive insurance already has this. It is an item you use in your car to track your movements to justify the mileage driven per month/year you report on your application for insurance.

Not hardly what I suggested real time video and recorded video and audio and report any violations in real time.
That's "Big Brother" What people do't realize is that your smart phones carries a record of every Place U go and the time U are there and U can be followed in real time.

I have a GPS tracker that i can move from plane to Plane that if I crash I call it with my cell and it Emails it's last known GPS corridinents and I can walk to with in a few meters of the downed plane. The good thing about this GPS Tracker it's about the size of a Zippo lighter and compleatly self contained.
And if I had teenagers i can place it in the car and if they leave a defined area it calls me and shows the location of the car and speed on Google Earth ... Imagian that Sure glad my father didn't have that back in the day when i got my first speeding ticket.

Last edited by HoundDog; 01-22-2015 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:41 AM
Sport_Pilot

What people do't realize is that your smart phones carries a record of every Place U go and the time U are there and U can be followed in real time.
You can turn that off. Though I think the earlier phones called that the OFF button.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:13 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by phlpsfrnk
I can foresee sometime in the future where analysis of the data will govern your insurance rates (Up and Down) and another question I have is could the data be subpoenaed in the case of a lawsuit?

Frank
There are many factors that go into pricing a policy. A few carriers are using this new data logging technology as an additional factor. Is that data discoverable...you bet. Actually vehicles have had similar technology (Black box) for a number of years, GM in particular. Spoliation of evidence letters are routinely send in more significant losses, especially when one of the vehicles is totaled. Vehicles speed, and pedal position (brake and accelerator) are among but a few data points collected.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:09 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

if you see a drone close to you take you shot gun and let fly
Old 01-22-2015, 01:19 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by [email protected]
if you see a drone close to you take you shot gun and let fly
I Hope they Do allow discharge of weapons, there in Hemet?
Old 01-22-2015, 02:52 PM
WI53072

What is a "Drome" anyway? They sound dangerous...Better sic a dog on em! Can clubs outlaw them?
Old 01-22-2015, 02:58 PM
Maximilionalpha

Here's my new drone...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcDGbnlfvA8
Old 01-22-2015, 03:38 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

In Canada we have been going through the same conundrum of how the federal guidelines and rules are going to affect resident model flying. We have the same armchair experts, lawyers and full size pilots who can and do tell you how you must interpret the new wording. Like you guys the arguing has been going on for some time and can become quite heated at times. One of the guys here in Canada simply enquired of Transport Canada (equivalent to the FAA) as to how the new rule apply to our associations guidelines since they are so different. Below is the reply and it was complete on official letter head with signature.

Good day,
Thank you for your recent e-mail received in the Transport Canada Civil Aviation Communications Centre.
To provide clarification, there have been no new regulations published regarding model aircraft. Section 602.45 of the Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs) remains the only regulation applicable to model aircraft operations in Canada.
The guidance on our website and the new Advisory Circular (AC) are intended to provide guidance on how to meet the intent of 602.45 and operate safely. This guidance material is aimed at a general audience (e.g. someone who buys a model or quadcopter at Best Buy) that lacks an understanding of aviation generally, aviation safety in particular and their responsibilities when it comes to aviation safety. As such, this guidance is more restrictive than what might be appropriate for the more experienced and responsible modelers to which you are referring. It should also be understood that the new guidance is not the only means of operating a model aircraft safely. Many MAAC clubs have well established guidelines / procedures that promote safe operations which are equally acceptable.
I hope this addresses your concerns.

I’m glad it’s simpler for us still able to fly FPV nothing has changed.

Dennis
Old 01-22-2015, 05:43 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Here in the US, anything that is being flown beyond line of sight is disqualified as a model airplane, and all of the protections passed into law by congress do not apply.

What is the legal definition of a model airplane in Canada?

On the other hand, in the US, the same vehicle, flown within line of sight, is a model airplane, and it is excluded from the upcoming UAV regs. So we can and will continue to be able to fly FPV legally as long as it is flown completely within line of sight and not in a reckless manner.

How is this different?

Jim

Last edited by jrf; 01-22-2015 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:53 PM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

It's drone with an N
Old 01-24-2015, 02:22 AM
Rob2160

An Australian Drone pilot was fined $850 recently for breaching Civil Aviation Safety regulations.

http://eftm.com.au/2015/01/850-drone...rone-use-19067

On another note, I am trialling a new multicopter flight controller that has a built in "black box" style recorder - you can analyse the last 40 minutes of flying.

It show all parameters, angles, speeds, altitude, maximum altitude, modes, GPS location and satellite status and will display your flight path on Google maps.

Makes it easy to prove you were flying legally (or illegally)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	436.9 KB
ID:	2067145  

Last edited by Rob2160; 01-24-2015 at 02:41 AM.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:32 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Rob2160
An Australian Drone pilot was fined $850 recently for breaching Civil Aviation Safety regulations.

On another note, I am trialling a new multicopter flight controller that has a built in "black box" style recorder - you can analyse the last 40 minutes of flying.

It show all parameters, angles, speeds, altitude, maximum altitude, modes, GPS location and satellite status and will display your flight path on Google maps.

I have that in real time with my HiTec RCD Aurora 9 Xmitter and the telemetry system a computer and the
[h=1]HTS-Navi USB Telemetry Receiver Part No: 29701
and if U have a WI-FI connection U can play it against Google Earth and see it from any angle U wish.

[/h]
Old 01-24-2015, 05:38 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

I have that in real time with my HiTec RCD Aurora 9 Xmitter and the telemetry system a computer and the
HTS-Navi USB Telemetry Receiver Part No: 29701
and if U have a WI-FI connection U can play it against Google Earth and see it from any angle U wish.

Hmmm...Makes possible instrument only Drome flying...
Old 01-24-2015, 06:11 AM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
Hmmm...Makes possible instrument only Drome flying...
Yes, that is a very nice set up.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:24 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Rob2160

That guy get a better deal than Trappy did....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2331305

After all that....$1100.00. Hundreds of thousands if not 7 figures spent on the case by the govt, and they settle at $1100.00.

As far as your black box tech...too cool!
Old 01-24-2015, 09:05 AM
HoundDog

What if the FAA requires ADS-B in Models (drones) that fly in Controlled air space.

By now, you’ve probably heard of Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast (ADS-B) and the requirement for many airplanes to add an ADS-B Out transponder to the panel. But you may be confused about what exactly ADS-B is, why you should care and what you should do.

That’s where we come in. Count on Cincinnati Avionics to guide you through the process from start to finish. We’ll explain what ADS-B is all about and what it offers for pilots, so you can make a confident decision about your airplane’s avionics. We also offer a full complement of ADS-B avionics to suit almost any aircraft, from names you trust: Garmin, Aspen, Avidyne, Bendix/King and more.

https://us-mg205.mail.yahoo.com/neo/...iaoqrvq8g#mail
Old 01-24-2015, 09:20 AM
littlecrankshaf

After all that....$1100.00. Hundreds of thousands if not 7 figures spent on the case by the govt, and they settle at $1100.00.

As far as your black box tech...too cool!
As typical for government oversight...no winners...just losers. We need a whole lot less of that!
Old 01-24-2015, 09:36 AM
JohnShe

What if the FAA requires ADS-B in Models (drones) that fly in Controlled air space.

By now, you’ve probably heard of Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast (ADS-B) and the requirement for many airplanes to add an ADS-B Out transponder to the panel. But you may be confused about what exactly ADS-B is, why you should care and what you should do.

That’s where we come in. Count on Cincinnati Avionics to guide you through the process from start to finish. We’ll explain what ADS-B is all about and what it offers for pilots, so you can make a confident decision about your airplane’s avionics. We also offer a full complement of ADS-B avionics to suit almost any aircraft, from names you trust: Garmin, Aspen, Avidyne, Bendix/King and more.

https://us-mg205.mail.yahoo.com/neo/...iaoqrvq8g#mail
Sounds intriguing, but i don't care what they do to the commercial dromes.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:38 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
As typical for government oversight...no winners...just losers. We need a whole lot less of that!
Yup, Pirker bailed with a nolo contendre plea, a nice legal ploy to avoid the more severe punishment.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:46 AM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by JohnShe
Yup, Pirker bailed with a nolo contendre plea, a nice legal ploy to avoid the more severe punishment.
You're right...the incessant harassment from FAA will no longer be a punishment he will have to endure from this incident. Just pay them off...continue on...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.