Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

time to stop the dromes..........NOW

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

time to stop the dromes..........NOW

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 03:51 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Happened again ... LAX

It's not if FAA is forced to come down hard on our hobby, but now I think merely a matter of when.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2015/...safety-debate/
The FAA does not need to come down on our hobby but instead needs to make some rules that pertain to the rouge flyers and go after them.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:11 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two things first U have to get Sellers to Impress their coustermers of the proper way and where to fly PERIOD. We can't do it The AMA can't do it even the FAA can't do it.
Second Stopped into a couple Hobby shops I frequent and one said almost 50% of their has to do with Quads. The others didn't exactly say any proportion of sales were Quads but a significant amount .... Quads could be just a passing fad because of their borish way they operate. If it's boring it won't last.
JMHO
Old 02-11-2015, 09:29 PM
Sport_Pilot

Assuming the quad weighs less than a couple of pounds. Just how much damage will it do to a jet on approach? A scratch?
Old 02-12-2015, 03:00 AM
phlpsfrnk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Assuming the quad weighs less than a couple of pounds. Just how much damage will it do to a jet on approach? A scratch?
Think about it, four electric motors far denser and heavier than any bird bones rattling around in a turbo fan engine not to mention the other metal parts and carbon fiber stuff. What about the catastrophic destruction of the batteries? Seen any of the LiPo destruction U-Tube vids? What happens to that energy in a turbo fan prior to the combustion chamber? Do you seriously think it won't cause some damage?

Frank
Old 02-12-2015, 05:34 AM
HoundDog

If an air liner runs a Quad over on landing is one ting but what about when it takes out an engine on Take Off? There very few of the 500 airports with scheduled air service, out of the 12000 airports in the USA, that have some where to set down except for the airport of departure. ask Sully Sullenbuger.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:42 AM
bradpaul

Pilot: “Hey, there was just one of those radio-controlled helicopter things that went right over the top of us at 4,000.” Controller: “Over the top of you at 4,000. Roger that.”
Pilot: “One of those remotely piloted deals.”
Controller: “Gotcha, a drone.”
Pilot: “Yep, little bitty one … was red in color.”

OK......................................... sure little bitty red one at 4000'

I see some here are buying into this fairy tale.............................................. ........
Old 02-12-2015, 06:55 AM
phlpsfrnk

Originally Posted by HoundDog
If an air liner runs a Quad over on landing is one ting but what about when it takes out an engine on Take Off? There very few of the 500 airports with scheduled air service, out of the 12000 airports in the USA, that have some where to set down except for the airport of departure. ask Sully Sullenbuger.
Good point, however the chances of an encounter with a quad are greater on approach than on take off. With a typical 3 degree glide slope and slower relative airspeeds airliners are in the lower altitudes (5000 to 0 ft) with the nose down for a greater period of time. On take off the climb angle is far greater than 3 degrees and the speed is greater than approach speed so the "exposure" time is less. On the other hand the damage caused during take off would probably be greater to the engines that are developing 100% power vise something less at approach power settings.

Frank
Old 02-12-2015, 06:57 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by phlpsfrnk
Think about it, four electric motors far denser and heavier than any bird bones rattling around in a turbo fan engine not to mention the other metal parts and carbon fiber stuff. What about the catastrophic destruction of the batteries? Seen any of the LiPo destruction U-Tube vids? What happens to that energy in a turbo fan prior to the combustion chamber? Do you seriously think it won't cause some damage?

Frank
Small birds do little damage to a large jet. A duck can crack the windshield, it took a flock of geese to kill the engines. Planes are designed to fly through hail larger than golf balls since Southern Airway 242. So I do not see a reason for huge concern for UAV less than 5 pounds. At least with airliners. GA aircraft yes, but then again I doubt the damage could take down an aircraft, break a windshield. To cause the engine to quit it would have to hit the perfect spot.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:06 AM
phlpsfrnk

Originally Posted by bradpaul

I see some here are buying into this fairy tale.............................................. ........
And why would you think it a fairy tale? Do you have proof to the contrary? What would the purpose be for a commercial pilot to make a false radio report and risk his career? Most near miss incidents require follow-up investigative paper work and pilots just love doing extra paperwork and answering questions.

Frank
Old 02-12-2015, 08:01 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

And why would you think it a fairy tale? Do you have proof to the contrary? What would the purpose be for a commercial pilot to make a false radio report and risk his career? Most near miss incidents require follow-up investigative paper work and pilots just love doing extra paperwork and answering questions.

Frank
Sounds like what you guys are really talking about is a new episode for Myth Busters...
Old 02-12-2015, 08:21 AM
bradpaul

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
Sounds like what you guys are really talking about is a new episode for Myth Busters...
It would make for a good episode ........ love the "commercial pilots" description . "little bitty one...... red in color". Can't wait to see that description in the FAA database.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:49 AM
HoundDog

If the Quad went over the plane and they said it was red then does anyone know of any quad that is red on the bottom? I don't.
I've seen only white and black some are partly red on top but not all red. that I know of.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:58 AM
littlecrankshaf

If the Quad went over the plane and they said it was red then does anyone know of any quad that is red on the bottom? I don't.
I've seen only white and black some are partly red on top but not all red. that I know of.
It was probably a drome instead...as red is a favorite color for them...they usually fly together... two or more...the pilots probably missed the others as they were probably dressed in rhinestone and sequins that tend to blend into the sky.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:04 AM
phlpsfrnk

It would make for a good episode ........ love the "commercial pilots" description . "little bitty one...... red in color". Can't wait to see that description in the FAA database.
I fail to see how a spur of the moment comment he made causes you to label his report as a fairy tale.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:06 AM
littlecrankshaf

I fail to see how a spur of the moment comment he made causes you to label his report as a fairy tale.
Because it was probably a drome! LOL
Old 02-12-2015, 09:14 AM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It doesn't take much to damage the internal parts of a turbine. A local ag sprayer had a single Dzus fastener break free from the cowl and go through his engine last year. That put him one the ground off airport and cost several hundred thousand dollars.

About a week ago, I came out of a grocery store had heard a quad over head. This was several hours after sunset, so I would never have seen it except it had running lights and was over the actual building. After looking for the operator in the parking lot for several minutes, it finally flew away. I followed in my car until I saw it land behind a row of buildings well over a half mile away. Then I figured out that it was being flown by a guy that runs a Chinese restaurant that flies helos as well. He speaks almost no English and showed up last summer at our fun fly with some high dollar grey market RC equipment that did not function due to some internal software wanting help.

Houston, we have a problem.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:14 AM
N410DC

Pilot: “Hey, there was just one of those radio-controlled helicopter things that went right over the top of us at 4,000.” Controller: “Over the top of you at 4,000. Roger that.”
Pilot: “One of those remotely piloted deals.”
Controller: “Gotcha, a drone.”
Pilot: “Yep, little bitty one … was red in color.”

OK......................................... sure little bitty red one at 4000'
People with no R/C experience are questioning how a pilot was able to see and identify a "littly bitty" quad at 4,000', if the jet was traveling somewhere in the neighborhood of 200mph. I have to ask the same question. Aside from the statement of one pilot, there is no evidence that a quad was even there.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:16 AM
HoundDog

. 12

"I Saw Elvis at 1000 Feet" John Force

- See more at: http://www.great-quotes.com/quotes/a....JC0Ncwl8.dpuf
. 12

"I Saw Elvis at 1000 Feet" John Force

- See more at: http://www.great-quotes.com/quotes/a....JC0Ncwl8.dpuf

"I saw Elvis at 1000 feet" john force
Old 02-12-2015, 09:16 AM
HoundDog

May the USAF should restart Project Blue Book.

"I saw Elvis at 1000 feet" john force
Old 02-12-2015, 09:20 AM
phlpsfrnk

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	41KhYnr4YEL.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	2072531   Click image for larger version

Name:	ehang-ghost-fullbleed.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	233.5 KB
ID:	2072532  
Old 02-12-2015, 09:24 AM
HoundDog

Gees there it is the Crab Quad OH well Looks like U put the landing gear on the top.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:36 AM
bradpaul

Since Brian Williams was suspended by NBC, he is trying to make a living as a pilot for Southwest Airlines.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:39 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Small birds do little damage to a large jet.
Uh....wrong. And that doesn't count any number of tactical military aircraft lost after hitting birds.

http://www.airsafe.com/birds/signif.htm
Old 02-12-2015, 09:43 AM
HoundDog

When's the last time anyone here know's of a close call with any full scale plane and any RC thing on or near a chartered AMA field. The only 2 I know of is the Sun Vally Flyers in PHX AZ about 3 or 4 years ago, Darn for got the other OH Well.
One of the AMA clubs I fly at in Wisconsin has Been flying on a full scale airport for over 30 years and never had so much as a close encounter ... What I'm getting at they can eliminate all RC flying in the USA except for those at a "Community Based Organization Chartered field". Sorta tough for the Float Flyers and the guys who like to fly off the Ice in the winter but Ya gota make some sacrifices if the Hobby/Sport is to be preserved, as it is, for those that behave and fly responsibly.
JMHO
Old 02-12-2015, 09:50 AM
littlecrankshaf

When's the last time anyone here know's of a close call with any full scale plane and any RC thing on or near a chartered AMA field. The only 2 I know of is the Sun Vally Flyers in PHX AZ about 3 or 4 years ago, Darn for got the other OH Well.
One of the AMA clubs I fly at in Wisconsin has Been flying on a full scale airport for over 30 years and never had so much as a close encounter ... What I'm getting at they can eliminate all RC flying in the USA except for those at a "Community Based Organization Chartered field".
Sorta tough for the Float Flyers and the guys who like to fly off the Ice in the winter but Ya gota make some sacrifices if the Hobby/Sport is to be preserved, as it is, for those that behave and fly responsibly.
JMHO
I hope the people that think like that are few and far between...What a dark time in history would that be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.