Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

time to stop the dromes..........NOW

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

time to stop the dromes..........NOW

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 12:03 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not the same issue, they went well beyond what Myrtle Beach did.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:13 AM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do not have the time to read this whole thread, but was just told here in the state of RI there is a bill in the legislature to impose a yearly $15 registration fee on each and every UAS which includes plain old model aircraft. You have ten planes? That's $150/year to register them. Of course the AMA is fighting that and good for them.

On the larger issue, it's my opinion that the AMA is placing a risky bet by trying to take quad-copter/drones or whatever you want to call them under their umbrella. I think the AMA should first and foremost fight for the current members, the vast majority of which fly regular rc planes. Make it clear rc planes flying under line of sight rules and quad copters are two distinctly different activities. That was their first tactic a couple years ago until it dawned on them there were going to be millions of possible dues paying members out there with quad copters.

Last edited by smithcreek; 03-05-2015 at 07:16 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:44 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by smithcreek
Do not have the time to read this whole thread, but was just told here in the state of RI there is a bill in the legislature to impose a yearly $15 registration fee on each and every UAS which includes plain old model aircraft. You have ten planes? That's $150/year to register them. Of course the AMA is fighting that and good for them.

On the larger issue, it's my opinion that the AMA is placing a risky bet by trying to take quad-copter/drones or whatever you want to call them under their umbrella. I think the AMA should first and foremost fight for the current members, the vast majority of which fly regular rc planes. Make it clear rc planes flying under line of sight rules and quad copters are two distinctly different activities. That was their first tactic a couple years ago until it dawned on them there were going to be millions of possible dues paying members out there with quad copters.
Read the whole thread before U make such a statement ...PLZ
Old 03-05-2015, 07:59 AM
smithcreek

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Read the whole thread before U make such a statement ...PLZ
Bite me. PLZ. The original position of the AMA was "drones are not us". Now it is and one of the biggest considerations is "that's where the hobby is going and we want to increase membership." I disagree and think it's a risky bet to not spend the resources protecting what most of us do, fly MODELS. Go look up the definition of "model" and you will see it has nothing to do with quad copters.

Last edited by smithcreek; 03-05-2015 at 08:02 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:01 AM
Sport_Pilot

Why can I not fly my quad copter without FPV at an AMA field. How is that any different than flying a RC helicopter?
Old 03-05-2015, 09:48 AM
smithcreek

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Why can I not fly my quad copter without FPV at an AMA field. How is that any different than flying a RC helicopter?
That's no different and in a fair world that's exactly what the AMA should be looking at. But, things are not that simple and I can tell you for a fact (when I say fact I don't mean "I really really think that's the case" I mean I was told first hand yesterday by one of the AMA executives most intimately involved with the FAA regulations), the AMA is looking to sign up people whose only interest is in "drones" and who are not at all interested in flying them a club fields. And the AMA is fine with that. I see a lot of stupid people doing a lot of stupid things in the near future. At least with rc planes most of us seem to have a modicum of common sense when it comes to safety, either from being in a club or from being taught by someone with experience. If the AMA wants to represent those people fine, but as I said, first and foremost, take care of the dues paying members that form the vast majority of the organization. Get the FAA to recognize model planes and helicopters flown in line of sight (or FPV with a partner on a buddy box) as a completely different category from quads, then work on the quad issue.

Last edited by smithcreek; 03-05-2015 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:13 AM
NorfolkSouthern

Isn't it true, though, that the FAA is now recognizing that drones can be operated in the same fashion as model planes? I've read their most recent position, and they appear to be in support of the small guy who wants to make a buck or two with his quad, flown in daylight and below 500'. I see nothing wrong with that. It will only require a simple test, and some paper work and you're good to go. Keep in mind that in just about every state in the union: Boats, quads, and snowmobiles also have to be registered. What would make a model plane much different from a snowmobile as far as sporting purposes go?

Last edited by NorfolkSouthern; 03-05-2015 at 10:17 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:04 AM
Sport_Pilot

That's no different and in a fair world that's exactly what the AMA should be looking at. But, things are not that simple and I can tell you for a fact (when I say fact I don't mean "I really really think that's the case" I mean I was told first hand yesterday by one of the AMA executives most intimately involved with the FAA regulations), the AMA is looking to sign up people whose only interest is in "drones" and who are not at all interested in flying them a club fields. And the AMA is fine with that. I see a lot of stupid people doing a lot of stupid things in the near future. At least with rc planes most of us seem to have a modicum of common sense when it comes to safety, either from being in a club or from being taught by someone with experience. If the AMA wants to represent those people fine, but as I said, first and foremost, take care of the dues paying members that form the vast majority of the organization. Get the FAA to recognize model planes and helicopters flown in line of sight (or FPV with a partner on a buddy box) as a completely different category from quads, then work on the quad issue.
I am pretty sure that the AMA is looking no further than FPV dues paying members. Though they may be looking to start up a separate organization for autonomous sUAV. Similar to the NRA which is loosely connected to the AMA.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:00 PM
bradpaul

Well if the AMA limited itself to the non drone flying club flyers then considering the age demographic in 15 to 20 years they will have lost the majority of the membership. Bottom line is considering the % of profits being generated by "drones" for hobby shops, distributors and manufactures, just where do you think the product development money is going?
Old 03-05-2015, 04:35 PM
HoundDog

Bite me. PLZ. The original position of the AMA was "drones are not us". Now it is and one of the biggest considerations is "that's where the hobby is going and we want to increase membership." I disagree and think it's a risky bet to not spend the resources protecting what most of us do, fly MODELS. Go look up the definition of "model" and you will see it has nothing to do with quad copters.

U are entitled to your opinion even if it is WRONG.

We can not afford to through any discipline under the buss.
Besides it's now a Moot point The FAA is Only going to care about people that attempt to Use any form of R/C for compensation or Hire. Just don't do anything to endanger anything in the NAS.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:45 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
I am pretty sure that the AMA is looking no further than FPV dues paying members. Though they may be looking to start up a separate organization for autonomous sUAV. Similar to the NRA which is loosely connected to the AMA.
Sporty .... give it up Only a few of U believe that it all about the money ... I really be-leave that the AMA should have a Loyalty Oath that U sign at every Renewal and if violated your AMA membership is revoked for ever. With out the AMA U would have to give up flying anyware in the USA very soon. The FAA would have made sure of that.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:01 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

I really be-leave that the AMA should have a Loyalty Oath that U sign at every Renewal and if violated your AMA membership is revoked for ever.
They do...and a secret handshake too...I can only guess they didn't show you...Oh well. They showed me how to recognize fellow AMAers also.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:58 PM
cj_rumley

Last edited by cj_rumley; 03-05-2015 at 07:52 PM. Reason: not relevant
Old 03-06-2015, 02:57 AM
teebox11
My Feedback: (33)

All of this energy should be directed towards that idiot president we have. Does not obey the laws of this country, has total disrespect for our constitution, and gets us closer to the realization that iran is making a nuke in hiding as they use him as a pawn. Good 'ol buddy! I have several dromes that I plan to use as targets with my AR-15-16, M-60, M-79, M2, AND BAR. I will burn up ten thousand rounds of 223 and send the vid to Washington with a note of how much more I have to shoot. OH! Did I say drome? Sorry, I meant gnome!!!!! You should see them run when they have rounds chasing around the woods!!!!
Old 03-06-2015, 03:01 AM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by teebox11
All of this energy should be directed towards that idiot president we have. Does not obey the laws of this country, has total disrespect for our constitution, and gets us closer to the realization that iran is making a nuke in hiding as they use him as a pawn. Good 'ol buddy! I have several dromes that I plan to use as targets with my AR-15-16, M-60, M-79, M2, AND BAR. I will burn up ten thousand rounds of 223 and send the vid to Washington with a note of how much more I have to shoot. OH! Did I say drome? Sorry, I meant gnome!!!!! You should see them run when they have rounds chasing around the woods!!!!
Good post...Started of reminding me of what all is wrong with our once great country but finally ended up pretty dang funny...
Old 03-06-2015, 03:40 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
Good post...Started of reminding me of what all is wrong with our once great country but finally ended up pretty dang funny...
Ya, it was brilliant....on a thread about rc toys blame the president, bring in another country, and wrap up with gun talk. Deep thoughts there.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:29 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Sporty .... give it up Only a few of U believe that it all about the money ... I really be-leave that the AMA should have a Loyalty Oath that U sign at every Renewal and if violated your AMA membership is revoked for ever. With out the AMA U would have to give up flying anyware in the USA very soon. The FAA would have made sure of that.
At our club, we say this at the beginning of every flying day:

I pledge allegiance, to the car window sticker,
of the Academy of Model Aeronautics.
And to the non-profit, for which it stands,
one CBO, under blue skies, indivisible,
with toy airplanes, helicopters, and
quadrotors for all. 
Old 03-06-2015, 04:56 AM
smithcreek

We can not afford to through any discipline under the buss.
Throwing the "you are wrong" crap in your posts just makes you look like more of an idiot than the content of the rest of your posts, so you may want to lay off. I specifically said if the AMA wants to get involved with and advocate for drones fine, but the first thing they should do is get the FAA to recognize line of sight flying rc planes and helicopters as a separate category.

When all this started the AMA made the choice to exclude anything but FPV with a second pilot on a buddy box. So at the point the AMA felt it was perfectly fine to throw all the other people flying outside that definition "under the bus" precisely because they felt being associated with drones and the people flying them threatened our hobby. The AMA understood that many of the people buying these things have no training, no experience and by simple statistics a large percentage will have no common sense. The AMA was smart enough to recognize a recipe for disaster when it saw it, but later they realized how many people were buying these things and changed their decision in order to sign them up as dues paying members. In fact they are lobbying to make it a law that anyone flying one MUST join a recognized CBO, ie. the AMA. I think, even if the AMA can get the regulations they are hoping for at first, down the road things will change as more and more idiots get these things and do stupid things with them. If the AMA does not make it clear now that rc flying and drones are two distinct categories we will all pay the price when the regulations are tightened.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:12 AM
JohnShe

You know teebox, I would buy a ticket to watch the county coroner pry your gun from your cold stiff fingers.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:32 AM
Sport_Pilot

Better stock up. They have banned the AR-15 bullets.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:34 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by 804

quadrotors for all. 
I did not know they added CBO's and quadcopters to the pledge! Rather revealing.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:51 AM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by 804

quadrotors for all. 
I am sure your club knows the sekret handshake too...
Old 03-06-2015, 09:58 AM
HoundDog

Throwing the "you are wrong" crap in your posts just makes you look like more of an idiot than the content of the rest of your posts, so you may want to lay off. I specifically said if the AMA wants to get involved with and advocate for drones fine, but the first thing they should do is get the FAA to recognize line of sight flying rc planes and helicopters as a separate category.

When all this started the AMA made the choice to exclude anything but FPV with a second pilot on a buddy box. So at the point the AMA felt it was perfectly fine to throw all the other people flying outside that definition "under the bus" precisely because they felt being associated with drones and the people flying them threatened our hobby. The AMA understood that many of the people buying these things have no training, no experience and by simple statistics a large percentage will have no common sense. The AMA was smart enough to recognize a recipe for disaster when it saw it, but later they realized how many people were buying these things and changed their decision in order to sign them up as dues paying members. In fact they are lobbying to make it a law that anyone flying one MUST join a recognized CBO, ie. the AMA. I think, even if the AMA can get the regulations they are hoping for at first, down the road things will change as more and more idiots get these things and do stupid things with them. If the AMA does not make it clear now that rc flying and drones are two distinct categories we will all pay the price when the regulations are tightened.

What do U care if the AMA is trying to expand it's ranks it can only be good for U Me the hobby and all the people that have any responsible thing to do with RC flying in general. People should be licensed to fly RC. These things are dangerous they can "KILL" when used incorrectly. If people had to be licensed to fly and pass a knowledge test 99.999% of our problem would be MOOT.
What U fail understand is that if it were not for the efforts of the AMA for 75+ years R/C wouldn't be where it is today. Also U have a fishing licence to fish and Hunt, a drivers licence to ride a car cycle a licence to fly ... why not either have a licence to fly R/C anyplace but a CBO chartered field. Anyone wanting to fly OFF THE RESERVATION (CBO FIELD) should prove that they possess the Knowledge and the skills to fly anything they intend to fly where they intend to fly it..

In New Zeland they fly out to 4 KMs with no problems all RC flies under 400foot in New Zeland. They also I BELIEVE must belong to their equivalent of our AMA and if with 5 miles/kms of an air port hold a special certificate from their (AMA).

Any New Zelanders out that can enlighten us.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:00 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
I am sure your club knows the sekret handshake too...
It is very important to understand that Jesus not only died for our sins but died because of our sins...even harder to understand now, exactly what were those sins???

No1 sin I would say is Bad Mouthing the CBO that charters your field ... the AMA.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:10 AM
toolmaker7341

Originally Posted by mongo
whatsa "drome"?

short for airdrome, or what?
A drome is a cross between a drone and one of those little lawn guys (nome)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.