Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

time to stop the dromes..........NOW

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

time to stop the dromes..........NOW

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 07:31 PM
cj_rumley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnShe
What part of "However, the FAA emphasizes that because the prohibition on rulemaking in section 336 of Public Law 112-95 is limited to model aircraft that meet all of the above statutory criteria," did you not understand?
Right, all one has to do is comply with all of the above statutory criteria. You and your fellow travelers just do that, John.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:08 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Right, all one has to do is comply with all of the above statutory criteria. You and your fellow travelers just do that, John.
"Fellow Travelers"? I haven't heard that one since Joe McCarthy. Compliance is easy, getting caught is easier.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:36 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Rumley:

What part of the statutory criteria do you find burdensome?
Old 03-07-2015, 09:05 PM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by jrf
Rumley:

What part of the statutory criteria do you find burdensome?
"Within the programming of (AMA)." The AMA Government Affairs guy says that requires being a member of AMA. Or so says a toad. I don't recall him saying it publicly, just via toad mail. I suppose that makes it deniable. Toads are expendable.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:40 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flyingstill
We tried and experiment at our field, put an altitude sensor in models to be flown and then just flew them as they normally would, foamies, larger ARFs, those built from kits, glo and electric and some giant scale. Out of 16 different flights, none exceeded 400 feet. I suppose the jet guys and the large 3D flyers exceed it, but seldom do the regular sport flyers. Sailplanes perhaps being an exception.
The pattern and scale aerobatic box is about 1000 feet tall. I am supprised the giant scale did not exceed that. Must have been doing touch and go's.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:42 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

What part of "would be subject to proposed part 107" did you not understand?
cj:
What's wrong with anyone that flies anything in the NAS having to have the proper credentials that proves they know and will abide by the rules and regulations of said NAS. If flying under the guidance of the AMA as the only CBO then so be it. My $48 per year is well spent. 99% of flyers I have met that do not belong to the AMA or some who do not participate at some organized level.and just fly openly seem to fly Willy Nilly all over the place with no regard for the safety of property and others. This 99% needs discipline and and /or at least prove they know , When, where,when and How to operate the things they fly in the NAS Safely.

If U don't want to be part of the only CBO at present in the USA please feel free to start your own CBO and make it free to all that would Join U in believing that no one needs training or knowledge of where when and how to use the NAS.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:52 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
The pattern and scale aerobatic box is about 1000 feet tall. I am supprised the giant scale did not exceed that. Must have been doing touch and go's.
LOL or just some more code Red wobblyflight beginners.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:56 PM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by HoundDog
cj:
What's wrong with anyone that flies anything in the NAS having to have the proper credentials that proves they know and will abide by the rules and regulations of said NAS. If flying under the guidance of the AMA as the only CBO then so be it. My $48 per year is well spent. 99% of flyers I have met that do not belong to the AMA or some who do not participate at some organized level.and just fly openly seem to fly Willy Nilly all over the place with no regard for the safety of property and others. This 99% needs discipline and and /or at least prove they know , When, where,when and How to operate the things they fly in the NAS Safely.

If U don't want to be part of the only CBO at present in the USA please feel free to start your own CBO and make it free to all that would Join U in believing that no one needs training or knowledge of where when and how to use the NAS.
Once again you make it clear the problem we have... FWIW I have found very few of the AMAish that know what the rules and regulations are...the arguments in these forums should be abundant proof of my contention...oh well...
Old 03-07-2015, 10:19 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
LOL or just some more code Red wobblyflight beginners.
Most of my planes have at least a HiTec GPS in them and I have two GPS set ups that is completely independent and portabil i.e. I can place it in any plane that has room or it and read their GPS altitude and Ground Speed. Believe me 400' can easily be exceeded by almost anything flying to day. Especially Pattern, Imac, Jets, and Quads, just to see if they will come back by them selves. just as a side note that Return to Home crap isn't all it's cracked up to be ... Although it works exceedingly well most of the time it's not fool proof I personally have seen 2 quads just fly away when the RTH was activated.
Serfice it to say 400' is not that high. If it does become mandatory to stay under some ceiling radio manufactures will be adding it right into recovers and either activating an alarm on the transmitter or simply programming in the radio system that refuses th plane to be flowen over any set altitude limit... Some Quads already have this programming in their software.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:39 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

cj:

I think most would agree that there needs some training on safe RC operations and since the FAA wants to get in on discipline part then that training would be their responsibility, Just
like in full scale no CBO is required so common sense would dictate that none should be required for RC either.

Last edited by ira d; 03-07-2015 at 10:50 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:42 AM
JohnShe

"Within the programming of (AMA)." The AMA Government Affairs guy says that requires being a member of AMA. Or so says a toad. I don't recall him saying it publicly, just via toad mail. I suppose that makes it deniable. Toads are expendable.
AMA membership is not in the statutory criteria. The AMA idiot is wrong. Within the programming means following the rules for the type of aircraft, technology or flight plan, nothing more.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:46 AM
HoundDog

cj:

Originally Posted by i[COLOR=#b22222
ra d;11997931]I think most would agree that there needs some training on safe RC operations and since the FAA wants to get in on discipline part then that training would be their responsibility, Just
like in full scale no CBO is required so common sense would dictate that none should be required for RC either[/COLOR].
I propose that the CBO AMA as an alternative to the FAA having to implement a Training and Testing of a persons Knowledge and Skill to operate a sUAS in the NAS. It would be less expensive to belong to the AMA and receive 3.5 million in secondary insurance and a magazine and all the other Benefits of belonging to a CBO. Still if the FAA got involved one would need 40 hours of flight 15 as instruction and the rest restricted to a special practice area and permission every 90 days to still fly solo as a student. Then pass a written test an oral and flight test. All of this time the student Logging and paying $30 to $50 per hour for private instruction into the Flying of sUAS and not flying with a CBO any model R/C craft because it not flown under a CBO. Be care full of which U condem it could be our saving grace. And the FAA has th power to impliment all of the above scenario are are going to do it for anyone that wants to fly anything considered a sUAS in the NAS for compensation or Hire .i.e. get paid to fly an sUAS or any model plane for pay.

I'd say under this senerio (that is what the FAA is going to do) the only CBO in town today i.e.the AMA seems like a pretty good Idea. Besides if the AMA increased it member ship by 3 fold I'm sure the annual fee would drop significantly. JMHO

As long as I'm on my soap box, it's my opinion that the AMA and clubs in general are too lax in who they let fly with out proper instruction and guidance. There too many dangerous people flying things they have no business attempting to fly. There are many AMA members (Some have been flying 30+ years) that should not be allowed to solo a KITE because they are just plane dangerous. Every AMA club, has at least one if not several incompetent and dangerous flyers. You know the ones that when they get up to fly everyone heads for cover of the shelter. If U say that U don't know anyone like that U are lying to your self. again JMHO.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:10 AM
cj_rumley

Good idea, HoundDog. The gummit should wake up to this Commune Business Opportunity scheme and and apply it to other DOT regulations than just those administered by FAA. Everybody riding a motorcycle should be required to join Hell's Angels. Those things are as dangerous as model airplanes.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:16 AM
bradpaul

Originally Posted by JohnShe
AMA membership is not in the statutory criteria. The AMA idiot is wrong. Within the programming means following the rules for the type of aircraft, technology or flight plan, nothing more.
Your opinion, but not what the law states.

PUBLIC LAW 112–95—FEB. 14, 2012 126 STAT. 77

SEC. 336. SPECIAL RULE FOR MODEL AIRCRAFT.

(2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;
the programming of what???????? wait, wait, "a nationwide community-based organization. Who determines the "program" of the CBO? the CBO.

So if the CBO requires membership as mandatory in their program that is their right to do.
Don't like it? Just join a different CBO

Does the AMA (CBO) require membership to be within the "programming of the CBO (AMA)? Not that I know of other then Rich Hansen 's statement. I would read carefully the published minutes of upcoming EC meetings to see if this becomes a requirement.

Last edited by bradpaul; 03-08-2015 at 06:18 AM.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:33 AM
HoundDog

Good idea, HoundDog. The gummit should wake up to this Commune Business Opportunity scheme and and apply it to other DOT regulations than just those administered by FAA. Everybody riding a motorcycle should be required to join Hell's Angels. Those things are as dangerous as model airplanes.
CJ:

U miss the point all together ... What I am trying to explain to U is that if the FAA determines that even any (R/C model / Quad) flyers must poses and Prove that they have the Knowledge and skills to operate any thing in the NAS because with out the knowledge and skill they will / might endanger others using the NAS. The alternative to proving U have the knowledge and skills would be to Join a CBO / AMA till U start your own. For this the AMA would have the responsibility thru their INTRO PILOT PROGRAM to administer or provide the knowledge and skills to operate any R/C craft Safely in the NAS. This could be at a chartered AMA facility or anywhere the Intro Pilot determines to be suitable for said purposes. Of course the Intro would be prohibited from accepting compensation for Hire.
This Unless the Intro Pilot is a FAA certificated sUAS / R/C instructor.

In my opinion the AMA and the R/C industry as a whole have been way to lax in who is allowed to purchase and use in the NAS without the proper training. I for one believe that the FAA overbite of sUAS / R/C in general.has been needed for years. I also thing/believe that it should be made mandatory and retroactive for everyone wanting to fly any thing not tethered to the ground.

How U like them apples, all U o'l gezzers that can't fly worth a CRAP and are a danger every time you attempt a flight.

Example:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXxCaupAQ8Q
This is the guy that ounce told me in no uncertain terms "I don't need no stink'n rudder except on the ground" and he is/was dead serious.

Last edited by HoundDog; 03-08-2015 at 07:40 AM.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:01 AM
bradpaul

Requied training to use toys................... this country is doomed by the ever increasing "nanny state" philosophy.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:03 AM
littlecrankshaf

CJ:

U miss the point all together ... What I am trying to explain to U is that if the FAA determines that even any (R/C model / Quad) flyers must poses and Prove that they have the Knowledge and skills to operate any thing...

How U like them apples, all U o'l gezzers that can't fly worth a CRAP and are a danger every time you attempt a flight.

Example:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXxCaupAQ8Q
This is the guy that ounce told me in no uncertain terms "I don't need no stink'n rudder except on the ground" and he is/was dead serious.
HD,

Just wondering how merely paying AMA automatically instills all this knowledge...
Old 03-08-2015, 08:25 AM
littlecrankshaf

Oh, BTW loved your video...You should see about getting the "star" to join AMA so he can have the "knowledge" too...
Old 03-08-2015, 08:25 AM
franklin_m

I see a lot of discussion about operations to 1000' etc., such as pattern box, jets, etc. Those operations would seem to be in direct violation of paragraph 3c of 91-57, which is very specific with respect to maximum altitude. If someone can point to a section of law or federal policy where this has been waived, I'm interested to read it.

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/m...ular/91-57.pdf

Last edited by franklin_m; 03-08-2015 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:35 AM
bradpaul

Originally Posted by franklin_m
I see a lot of discussion about operations to 1000' etc., such as pattern box, jets, etc. Those operations would seem to be in direct violation of paragraph 3c of 91-57, which is very specific with respect to maximum altitude. If someone can point to a section of law or federal policy where this has been waived, I'm interested to read it.

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/m...ular/91-57.pdf
Perhaps you missed paragraph 1.

1. PURPOSE. This advisory circular outlines, and encourages voluntary compliance with, safety standards for model aircraft operators.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:39 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hound Dog:

Watched the video. Clearly the guy does not have flying skills, but at no time did I see him endanger anyone (including himself) or anything (except his airplane). It appears that he follows the safety rules just fine. He would not be considered a danger to the NAS either.

Your posting it here is more than a bit unfair.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:46 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by bradpaul
Perhaps you missed paragraph 1.
I saw that, but after the FAA's interpretation of the special rule, and the NTSB's decision, ops above 400' would seem to risk attention. if folks want to hang their hat on voluntary compliance as a way to defend against FAA/NTSB, I wish them luck.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:51 AM
HoundDog

Requied training to use toys................... this country is doomed by the ever increasing "nanny state" philosophy.
When TOYS used improperly can Kill and/or inger unsuspecting speculators and/or the public at large by people that have no idea of the rules and/or the proper skills to operate these Toys....
U better believe it especially without the Only CBO / AMA the FAA/NTSB would be all over us.... As I see it the AMA/CBO is the lesser of the evils that could bestow out hobby/sport.
When U gona get it it's the lesser of two evils and until all the AMA haters start their own FREE CBO the AMA is the only game in town.
Get it now the

"Lesser of 2 Evils"

Temp 70 going to 81 wind 2 mph from the north east I'm Going flying ...
buy.bye by.

Last edited by HoundDog; 03-08-2015 at 08:54 AM.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:54 AM
bradpaul

Originally Posted by franklin_m
I saw that, but after the FAA's interpretation of the special rule, and the NTSB's decision, ops above 400' would seem to risk attention. if folks want to hang their hat on voluntary compliance as a way to defend against FAA/NTSB, I wish them luck.
No luck needed if they are in compliance with Sec. 336.

Again did you miss the part:
(a) IN GENERAL.— Notwithstanding any other provision of law relating to the incorporation of unmanned aircraft systems into Federal Aviation Administration plans and policies, including this subtitle, the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft, or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft, if—
AC 91-57 is voluntary. Of course you still cannot "endanger the NAS". but to state there is a hard anywhere limit of 400' is incorrect.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:03 AM
Silent-AV8R

No luck needed if they are in compliance with Sec. 336.

Again did you miss the part:

AC 91-57 is voluntary. Of course you still cannot "endanger the NAS". but to state there is a hard anywhere limit of 400' is incorrect.
Your assessment is 100% spot on. I keep seeing people talking about the "400 foot limit" which is a fantasy, there simply is no such thing for operations under section 336.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.