Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

time to stop the dromes..........NOW

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

time to stop the dromes..........NOW

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 09:17 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Copy all. It will be interesting to see if that stands the test of time in the drone/youtube era in which we find ourselves.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:40 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

"I saw Elvis at 1000' " John Force So there.

Gone Flying ...by buy bye.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:28 AM
cj_rumley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Copy all. It will be interesting to see if that stands the test of time in the drone/youtube era in which we find ourselves.
Bear in mind that the replies you got assume operation in compliance with Sect 336, and fwiw it is unlikely IMHO that most modelers will buy into that. If one chooses to operate without the the sanction of the AMA (which may or may not have price tag attached to it, depending on who is speaking for the AMA), then he is subject to Part 107 in the proposed sUAS rules. Among all the rest of the horse manure therein is an altitude limit of 500' AGL.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:48 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Bear in mind that the replies you got assume operation in compliance with Sect 336, and fwiw it is unlikely IMHO that most modelers will buy into that. If one chooses to operate without the the sanction of the AMA (which may or may not have price tag attached to it, depending on who is speaking for the AMA), then he is subject to Part 107 in the proposed sUAS rules. Among all the rest of the horse manure therein is an altitude limit of 500' AGL.
That's a good point. Lots of language in PL112 that could shift any operation out of 336 and into enforcement territory. I agree that 500' AGL is going to be a likely practical bright line for FAA / NTSB enforcement actions. One could easily argue that ops higher than that are into the NAS and therefore by definition dangerous. I think above 500' the burden of proof may switch to the modeler to prove that it wasn't dangerous, since full scale aircraft are known to operate in that altitude block (MTRs if nothing else).
Old 03-08-2015, 10:54 AM
bradpaul

Correct, at this time the AMA (CBO) has not published a statement as to what it means to be "within the programming of". As I said before we need to watch for the minutes of future EC meetings.

So to be clear in order to "operate" under Sec. 336 you need to:

(1) the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use;
(2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;
(3) the aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a community-based organization;
(4) the aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft; and
(5) when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation (model aircraft operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of an airport should establish a mutually-agreed upon operating procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport)).
and what you fly must meet the definition of a "Model Aircraft"

(c) MODEL AIRCRAFT DEFINED.—In this section, the term ‘‘model aircraft’’ means an unmanned aircraft that is—
(1) capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere;
(2) flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft; and
(3) flown for hobby or recreational purposes.
So no BLOS flying and depending on the interpretation of "visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft" no FPV use by the pilot.

Just don't endanger the NAS and have fun.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:59 AM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by HoundDog
cj:
What's wrong with anyone that flies anything in the NAS having to have the proper credentials that proves they know and will abide by the rules and regulations of said NAS. If flying under the guidance of the AMA as the only CBO then so be it. My $48 per year is well spent. 99% of flyers I have met that do not belong to the AMA or some who do not participate at some organized level.and just fly openly seem to fly Willy Nilly all over the place with no regard for the safety of property and others. This 99% needs discipline and and /or at least prove they know , When, where,when and How to operate the things they fly in the NAS Safely.

If U don't want to be part of the only CBO at present in the USA please feel free to start your own CBO and make it free to all that would Join U in believing that no one needs training or knowledge of where when and how to use the NAS.
HoundDog, if you want pilot certification for modelers I don't understand why you would want people to operate under Sect 336, which disallows FAA from requiring it. AMA doesn't provide or require any remote semblance of pilot certification, unless you count the ability to send them a check or credit card number as qualifying. The other option magnanimously provided by FAA is to operate under Part 107, and that does require pilot certification, aircraft registration, etc., that you deem should be required for flying a model airplane in the NAS. Which way do you want it?
Old 03-08-2015, 11:24 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It is clear that we do not know what "within the programming of" means. Does anyone know of another activity that operates "within the programing of a CBO" for federal purposes? Has congress used that language before? What has experience shown that it means in that circumstance?
Old 03-08-2015, 11:54 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by jrf
It is clear that we do not know what "within the programming of" means.
Correct...but terms have to have their origin somewhere...AMA invented this term(poof...smoke a and mirrors) to benefit themselves despite the negative effect it might have on the model aviation community as a whole...Now we are just waiting to see how it sticks...sure stinks though...
Old 03-08-2015, 11:56 AM
bradpaul

Originally Posted by jrf
It is clear that we do not know what "within the programming of" means. Does anyone know of another activity that operates "within the programing of a CBO" for federal purposes? Has congress used that language before? What has experience shown that it means in that circumstance?
Keep in mind that Sec 339 does not set to requirement for "within the programming of" it leaves that up to the CBO.

As a hypothetical, say there were three CBO's that meet the FAA standard.

CBO 1. Requires membership in the CBO to be within the programming of.
CBO 2. Requires membership and a pilot training/certification to be within the programming of.
CBO 3. Says just follow our published "safety code" to be within the programming of.

Why would not all three be good for the purpose of Sec. 336?.

The issue is lack of choice and that could lead to exploitation by a monopoly CBO.

Last edited by bradpaul; 03-08-2015 at 03:16 PM. Reason: for clarity
Old 03-08-2015, 12:39 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by bradpaul
Keep in mind that Sec 339 does not set to requirement for "within the programming of" it leaves that up to the CBO.

As a hypothetical say there were three CBO's that meet the FAA standard.

1. Requires membership in the CBO to be within the programming of.
2. Requires membership and a pilot training/certification to be within the programming of.
3. Says just follow our published "safety code" to be within the programming of.

Why would not all three be good for the purpose of Sec. 336?.

The issue is lack of choice and that could lead to exploitation by a monopoly CBO.

the lSome ha
I hope you know that it is the FAA that will make the official decision. Actually, they have already done so. I suggest that you read the FAA interpretation of section 336. It does not specify any one of your three items.

"
1. Requires membership in the CBO to be within the programming of.
2. Requires membership and a pilot training/certification to be within the programming of.
3. Says just follow our published "safety code" to be within the programming of.
"
The decision is made and it favors free will. Except, of course, we may not endanger the NAS.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:03 PM
bradpaul

Original post edited for clarity. BTW the AMA along with other groups has taken the FAA to court over "the interpretation".

Last edited by bradpaul; 03-08-2015 at 03:19 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:26 PM
stallspeed

I agree with JohnShe, I couldn't take this guys post serious. I get so tired of people that post questions/ concerns that are so pooly written or confusing that its not even clear what they are asking! People are here to genuinely offer help, so respect that by taking an extra second to proof read your post for clarity before submitting it!
Old 03-08-2015, 02:37 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

HoundDog, if you want pilot certification for modelers I don't understand why you would want people to operate under Sect 336, which disallows FAA from requiring it. AMA doesn't provide or require any remote semblance of pilot certification, unless you count the ability to send them a check or credit card number as qualifying. The other option magnanimously provided by FAA is to operate under Part 107, and that does require pilot certification, aircraft registration, etc., that you deem should be required for flying a model airplane in the NAS. Which way do you want it?
1. if you want pilot certification for modelers I don't understand why you would want people to operate under Sect 336, which disallows FAA from requiring it.
CJ:
Ounce again I'm advocating that people not flying under the CBO/AMA Prove they know the LAWS/RULES and prove it. This is to be sure if they aren't flying at a chartered club with guidance from other members so as to keep these individuals from interfering with maned air craft causing all of us to feeling the Rath of the FAA/NTSB. Nothing more nothing less.

2. AMA doesn't provide or require any remote semblance of pilot certification.
But on the other side of the coin Simply Put they should require at least some semblance of competency, because too many AMA members are not only Incompetent but down right "DANGERIOUS" when it comes to their ability to control their air craft. Again JMHO But U all know of whom I speak. Every club has a few. Their the Crashes, The bashers, and the guy every one talks about every time they get up to the flight line.

Last edited by HoundDog; 03-08-2015 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 04:19 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by bradpaul
Original post edited for clarity. BTW the AMA along with other groups has taken the FAA to court over "the interpretation".
Actually, it is not a suit. They have asked the court to review the interpretation. I expect nothing to come of it. Instead, it will be another waste of our membership dues.

Oh, a hypothesis is a testable supposition based on sound reasoning and evidence. Your hypothesis fails on reasoning and evidence.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:22 PM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by JohnShe
Actually, it is not a suit. They have asked the court to review the interpretation. I expect nothing to come of it. Instead, it will be another waste of our membership dues.

Oh, a hypothesis is a testable supposition based on sound reasoning and evidence. Your hypothesis fails on reasoning and evidence.
Well I looked...

hypothesis |hīˈpäθəsis|noun ( pl. -ses |-ˌsēz|)a supposition or proposed explanation made on the basis of limited evidence as a starting point for further investigation : professionalastronomers attacked him for popularizing an unconfirmed hypothesis.Philosophy a proposition made as a basis for reasoning, without any assumption of its truth.

Seems Brad's use passes the smell test...close enough is good enough...LOL
Old 03-08-2015, 10:43 PM
Silent-AV8R

Here is what the AMA has done:

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...rpretive-rule/

Here is the actual filing:

http://www.kramerlevin.com/files/upl...A_Petition.pdf
Old 03-09-2015, 05:05 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
Well I looked...

hypothesis |hīˈpäθəsis|noun ( pl. -ses |-ˌsēz|)a supposition or proposed explanation made on the basis of limited evidence as a starting point for further investigation : professionalastronomers attacked him for popularizing an unconfirmed hypothesis.Philosophy a proposition made as a basis for reasoning, without any assumption of its truth.

Seems Brad's use passes the smell test...close enough is good enough...LOL
Right, it stinks.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:39 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Right, it stinks.
I think Brad has presented his view in a well thought out and logical manner , and posts like yours do nothing to enhance the discussion . Is recreational trolling just a pastime for you , or are you some kind of professional ? Really John , I think we all know that words can be picked apart and parsed to misrepresent just about any viewpoint that the picker looks to push , but Brad's meaning and intent of his posts are crystal clear to me .
Old 03-09-2015, 06:47 AM
Sport_Pilot

Actually, it is not a suit.
He said they went to court. They did and asked the court to review. To me that is a suit. But perhaps to you a suit is only for damages.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:06 AM
bradpaul

To be clear, I personally do not think it would be a good idea for the AMA to require membership as part of "within the programming of". However based on the wording of Sec. 336 their decision to make.

As stated previously the problem is lack of multiple CBO's so a modeler can make a choice based on competition in the marketplace.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:55 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by init4fun
I think Brad has presented his view in a well thought out and logical manner , and posts like yours do nothing to enhance the discussion . Is recreational trolling just a pastime for you , or are you some kind of professional ? Really John , I think we all know that words can be picked apart and parsed to misrepresent just about any viewpoint that the picker looks to push , but Brad's meaning and intent of his posts are crystal clear to me .
Poor guy ,to be humor deprived is quite the disability.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:04 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
He said they went to court. They did and asked the court to review. To me that is a suit. But perhaps to you a suit is only for damages.
It is not a suit for damages, merely a request for the court to review the FAA interpretation. But no matter what you call it, it is moot, pointless and a waste of our dues.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:06 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Poor guy ,to be humor deprived is quite the disability.
Not to worry , John , the ol sense of humor is doin just fine , thank you ....

I just see no reason to behave like a kid who can't stop tellin fart jokes in biology class . Do you really see the need for comic relief while discussing toy airplanes ?

you must be a REAL hoot at funerals , eh ???
Old 03-09-2015, 08:39 AM
littlecrankshaf

I think John got his hypothesis confused with his theorem...LOL Just like he got confused about the hole in the ground... Now there is some humor...I just kill myself sometimes...
Old 03-09-2015, 09:07 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by init4fun
Not to worry , John , the ol sense of humor is doin just fine , thank you ....

I just see no reason to behave like a kid who can't stop tellin fart jokes in biology class . Do you really see the need for comic relief while discussing toy airplanes ?

you must be a REAL hoot at funerals , eh ???
Actually, toy airplanes provide their own comic relief. And, you should hear my cancer jokes. I have a personal story about bladder cancer that will have you rolling on the floor laughing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.