Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

time to stop the dromes..........NOW

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

time to stop the dromes..........NOW

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 10:00 AM
phlpsfrnk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
And yet auto insurance regularly pays claims that result from drunk driving, speeding, etc. They do not pay your legal fees, but they pay for the result of your negligence.
Yep, and there is a huge industry of insurance claims lawyers here in Florida that makes our insurance rates the best of anywhere else in the country.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:04 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

And yet auto insurance regularly pays claims that result from drunk driving, speeding, etc. They do not pay your legal fees, but they pay for the result of your negligence.
Good point...I was reading on another forum where one of the self acclaimed genius responders made a statement that essentially said " thankfully it is the insurance companies that keep lawyers at bay"...Just had to drop my head and shake it off... The reality is, Its insurance that feeds the lawyers... Oh well... what can you do?
Old 03-10-2015, 10:17 AM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by phlpsfrnk
Actually I believe its the other way around. The FAI is the world organization and is the lead internationally as is the ICAO for world air traffic and the USA is a signatory of both. I'm not a lawyer but I don't think the safety code is "proprietary".

Frank
Well heck, you probably don't believe Al Gore invented the internet, either.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:27 AM
phlpsfrnk

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
well heck, you probably don't believe al gore invented the internet, either.
what!!! Are you implying that he didn't?
Old 03-10-2015, 10:51 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by phlpsfrnk
What part of "knowingly doing something illegal" did you not understand?
Is it illegal? No law says that it is illegal. It is part of a definition in a funding bill, but no punishment is specified. The FAA interpretation states that punishment will be applied only if the NAS is endangered.

Don't endanger the NAS and you are not breaking any law.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:03 PM
N410DC

True. However, they also raise your premiums, and may refuse to offer you insurance altogether. I am guessing that if I crashed a 60lb turbine aircraft into a school and killed a few students, my homeowners policy would get cancelled, even if they did pay for the incident. I am not sure what my mortgage company would do if I were unable to find another insurance company who was willing to insure me at a rate that I could afford. . .

Originally Posted by JohnShe
Is it illegal? No law says that it is illegal. It is part of a definition in a funding bill, but no punishment is specified. The FAA interpretation states that punishment will be applied only if the NAS is endangered.

We potentially endanger the NAS every time we fly. It's an inherent risk that we take. There is always a possibility that we will loose control of an aircraft, and that they aircraft will fly somewhere that it's not supposed to be.

Interestingly, The NY Times has reported that Shawn Usman (the guy who flew the drone that landed in Obama's back yard) may not be charged with a criminal offense. He might, however, face a civil penalty from the FAA (a la Mr. Pirker.)
Old 03-10-2015, 02:59 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

Originally Posted by Propworn
Old argument, an inanimate object doesn’t hurt anyone, careless attitudes and operators do. The genie is out of the bottle, the uninformed and those who insist no one has the right to tell them what to do have grabbed the spotlight. The general public inflamed by the media is demanding someone do something. The FAA is tasked with controlling these hooligans. They don’t have the resources and have no hope of keeping up with the technological advances that are happening.

Panic sets in and the banning begins. When owning/operating one of these becomes to hot a potato to handle the antagonizers who refuse to be reasonable will move on to the next thrill ride leaving the long term players to deal with the shambles.
yes amen

Thank you !
to many who try to keep us out of the skies when we do this for some cash
Old 03-10-2015, 03:30 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

Originally Posted by N410DC
We potentially endanger the NAS every time we fly. It's an inherent risk that we take. There is always a possibility that we will loose control of an aircraft, and that they aircraft will fly somewhere that it's not supposed to be.

Interestingly, The NY Times has reported that Shawn Usman (the guy who flew the drone that landed in Obama's back yard) may not be charged with a criminal offense. He might, however, face a civil penalty from the FAA (a la Mr. Pirker.)

Uhm lets see
#1 he works for the government
#2 he was possibly drunk
#3 this is more glorified media news
#4 this was possibly staged
#5 if true some actions need to be taken by his "employer"

who he works for
  • NGA delivers the strategic intelligence that allows the president and national policymakers to make crucial decisions on counterterrorism, weapons of mass destruction, global political crises and more.

The National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA) delivers world-class geospatial intelligence that provides a decisive advantage to policymakers, warfighters, intelligence professionals and first responders.
Anyone who sails a U.S. ship, flies a U.S. aircraft, makes national policy decisions, fights wars, locates targets, responds to natural disasters, or even navigates with a cellphone relies on NGA.
NGA enables all of these critical actions and shapes decisions that impact our world through the indispensable discipline of geospatial intelligence (GEOINT).
NGA is a unique combination of intelligence agency and combat support agency. It is the world leader in timely, relevant, accurate and actionable GEOINT. NGA enables the U.S. intelligence community and the Department of Defense (DOD) to fulfill the president’s national security priorities to protect the nation. NGA also anticipates its partners’ future needs and advances the GEOINT discipline to meet them.
NGA is the lead federal agency for GEOINT and manages a global consortium of more than 400 commercial and government relationships. The director of NGA serves as the functional manager for GEOINT, the head of the National System for Geospatial Intelligence (NSG) and the coordinator of the global Allied System for Geospatial Intelligence (ASG). In its multiple roles, NGA receives guidance and oversight from DOD, the Director of National Intelligence (DNI) and Congress.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:35 PM
JohnShe

The AMA safety guidelines reduce that risk dramatically. Our chartered club has been in operation for close to 10 years and has never had an NAS incursion.

Usman did not endanger people or the NAS. The risk to the president and the white house itself was minimal. The closest thing he did to a crime was to give the secret service the shakes.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:39 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a reminder of the Academy of Model Aeronautics National Model Aircraft Safety Code
GENERAL:
(e) Not exceed a takeoff weight, including fuel, of 55 pounds unless in compliance with the AMA Large Model Airplane program. (AMA Document 520-A.)

LARGE MODEL AIRPLANE PROGRAM
A. General.1. Large Model Airplanes (LMA) are classified as follows:
LMA-1 are all non-turbine powered model airplanes weighing 55 pounds (25 kilograms)to 77.2 pounds (35 kilograms), with fuel, ready to fly.
LTMA-1 are turbine-powered model airplanes weighing 55 pounds (25 kilogram) to 77.2pounds (35 kilograms), with fuel, ready to fly.LMA-2 are all non-turbine powered model airplanes weighing 77.3 pounds (35 kilogram)to 125 pounds (56.7 kilogram) with fuel, ready to fly.
LTMA-2 are turbine-powered model airplanes weighing 77.3 pounds (35 kilogram) to100 pounds (45.4 kilogram) with fuel, ready to fly.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/520-a.pdf
Old 03-10-2015, 06:11 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Just a reminder of the Academy of Model Aeronautics National Model Aircraft Safety Code
GENERAL:
(e) Not exceed a takeoff weight, including fuel, of 55 pounds unless in compliance with the AMA Large Model Airplane program. (AMA Document 520-A.)

LMA-1 are all non-turbine powered model airplanes weighing 55 pounds (25 kilograms)to 77.2 pounds (35 kilograms), with fuel, ready to fly.
LTMA-1 are turbine-powered model airplanes weighing 55 pounds (25 kilogram) to 77.2pounds (35 kilograms), with fuel, ready to fly.LMA-2 are all non-turbine powered model airplanes weighing 77.3 pounds (35 kilogram)to 125 pounds (56.7 kilogram) with fuel, ready to fly.
LTMA-2 are turbine-powered model airplanes weighing 77.3 pounds (35 kilogram) to100 pounds (45.4 kilogram) with fuel, ready to fly.

And, your point being?
Old 03-10-2015, 06:48 PM
HoundDog

The AMA safety guidelines reduce that risk dramatically. Our chartered club has been in operation for close to 10 years and has never had an NAS incursion.

Usman did not endanger people or the NAS. The risk to the president and the white house itself was minimal. The closest thing he did to a crime was to give the secret service the shakes.

Negative Negative Negative Shawn Usman (the guy who flew the drone that landed in Obama's back yard) may not be charged with a criminal offense.

•  
    • Ever hear of the Permanent Flight Restrictions around the capital and 60 miles from it.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:31 PM
HoundDog

GENERAL:

And, your point being?
Johnney baby:
Just posting what is considered the LARGE MODEL AIRPLANE PROGRAM
for clarification to some of the other posts .. is that OK?
Old 03-11-2015, 02:17 AM
phlpsfrnk

So if I use your logic and I speed on a deserted highway and I'm not endangering anyone else I'm not breaking the law. I'll be sure and let the state trooper know that.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:41 AM
phlpsfrnk

So what you are saying is, as long as risk is minimal and one does not endanger people or the NAS it's okay to violate a No Fly Zone (NFZ)?
Old 03-11-2015, 05:24 AM
HoundDog

Jonny, Jonny, Jonny:

Usman
did not endanger people or the NAS. The risk to the president and the white house itself was minimal. The closest thing he did to a crime was to give the secret service the shakes.

U can't endanger the NAS ... The violation will be when U endanger others Operating in the the NAS.
Look at all the FAR's if one does not cover something another does or a Catch All FAR will.
Part 107 is/will be no different.

Again he flew a model airplane/Dromn in a Permanent Flight Restricted Zone i.e. ADIZ
That's a Crime in it's self. Flying intoxicated is a crime. Flying at night is a crime. Flying in less the 3 miles visibility is a chime.
"That's 5 thing he did that are considered as crimes.
Now tell me us again that "The closest thing he did to a crime was to give the secret service the shakes.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:32 AM
bradpaul

Per JohnnyBoy it would be OK to video your neighbor through the bedroom window as there would be no danger to the NAS. John, there are possible illegal activities based on the use of a sUAS that are not based on FAA regulation or Sec. 336.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:40 AM
Sport_Pilot

Auto insurance is not homeowners insurance. Auto insurance is required to pay because the states want to be sure that the victim, to include the driver has monies to take care of their medical bills. Homeowners and AMA insurance is not required to pay if you broke the law, though there are exceptions I am sure.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:46 AM
Sport_Pilot

I believe the safety code is proprietary. However I do not think it is copyrighted.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:51 AM
Sport_Pilot

I believe the safety code is proprietary. However I do not think it is copyrighted.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:29 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Auto insurance is not homeowners insurance. Auto insurance is required to pay because the states want to be sure that the victim, to include the driver has monies to take care of their medical bills. Homeowners and AMA insurance is not required to pay if you broke the law, though there are exceptions I am sure.
Here is a fun read: http://www.insure.com/car-insurance/...egal-acts.html

Got to keep our precious lawyers fed...
Old 03-11-2015, 07:14 AM
phlpsfrnk

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
Here is a fun read: http://www.insure.com/car-insurance/...egal-acts.html

Got to keep our precious lawyers fed...
I especially liked the outrageous insurance claims link.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:14 AM
phlpsfrnk

Duplicate post

Last edited by phlpsfrnk; 03-11-2015 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Duplicate post
Old 03-11-2015, 07:15 AM
JohnShe

•  
    • Ever hear of the Permanent Flight Restrictions around the capital and 60 miles from it.
Oops! forgot about that. It doesn't affect me so I don't keep it in mind. Often wondered what the government would do if anyone violated it. Now we know, not much.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:16 AM
JohnShe

GENERAL:

Johnney baby:
Just posting what is considered the LARGE MODEL AIRPLANE PROGRAM
for clarification to some of the other posts .. is that OK?
Well, thanks or the useless reminder.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.