Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

time to stop the dromes..........NOW

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

time to stop the dromes..........NOW

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 09:50 AM
cj_rumley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by phlpsfrnk
cj,
I'm sorry but that is so wrong on so many levels I don't know where to start.

Frank
We'll just have to wait and see, Frank. I took notice that FAA dutifully complied with the PL handed down by Congress and did not change a word of it. Can you cite any instance where a private organization has lobbied for a law and was allowed to change it after it was passed?
Old 03-12-2015, 11:35 AM
N410DC

Originally Posted by srt10
Uhm lets see
#1 he works for the government
#2 he was possibly drunk
#3 this is more glorified media news
#4 this was possibly staged
#5 if true some actions need to be taken by his "employer"

who he works for
  • NGA delivers the strategic intelligence that allows the president and national policymakers to make crucial decisions on counterterrorism, weapons of mass destruction, global political crises and more.

The National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA) delivers world-class geospatial intelligence that provides a decisive advantage to policymakers, warfighters, intelligence professionals and first responders.
Anyone who sails a U.S. ship, flies a U.S. aircraft, makes national policy decisions, fights wars, locates targets, responds to natural disasters, or even navigates with a cellphone relies on NGA.
NGA enables all of these critical actions and shapes decisions that impact our world through the indispensable discipline of geospatial intelligence (GEOINT).
NGA is a unique combination of intelligence agency and combat support agency. It is the world leader in timely, relevant, accurate and actionable GEOINT. NGA enables the U.S. intelligence community and the Department of Defense (DOD) to fulfill the president’s national security priorities to protect the nation. NGA also anticipates its partners’ future needs and advances the GEOINT discipline to meet them.
NGA is the lead federal agency for GEOINT and manages a global consortium of more than 400 commercial and government relationships. The director of NGA serves as the functional manager for GEOINT, the head of the National System for Geospatial Intelligence (NSG) and the coordinator of the global Allied System for Geospatial Intelligence (ASG). In its multiple roles, NGA receives guidance and oversight from DOD, the Director of National Intelligence (DNI) and Congress.
I do agree that his current occupation may make it less likely for him to be charged with a crime. Every cop I have ever known has never been given a citation when they have been pulled over by a fellow officer. However, a decision to not prosecute the guy would set a precedent that it's okay for anyone to fly a quadcoptor in the manner that he did (e.g. at night, close to The White House, in a prohibited zone, and while under the influence of alcohol.) I think giving him immunity will inform others that this kind of behavior is legal, and accepted by the federal government.

The "buddy system" that exists within government bureaucracies has its limits. Cops can get away with a speeding ticket, but if the public is informed that they committed a more serious offense (e.g. DUI, assault, etc.), they will see the inside of a courtroom, and will loose their job if convicted.

Originally Posted by JohnShe
The AMA safety guidelines reduce that risk dramatically. Our chartered club has been in operation for close to 10 years and has never had an NAS incursion. . .Usman did not endanger people or the NAS. The risk to the president and the white house itself was minimal. The closest thing he did to a crime was to give the secret service the shakes.
I do agree that the AMA guidelines substantially reduces the risk, but we still place some risk to life and limb whenever we fly, even we are at an AMA field, and following all AMA guidelines and rules for the local field. As far as I can tell, the teenager that was killed by a model helicopter in 2013 was flying at an approved AMA site, and was following all AMA guidelines. Risk can be managed, but it can never be eliminated. I hate to say it, but Roman Pirozek Jr. will not be the last person who is seriously injured or killed by a model aircraft at an AMA chartered field.

As others have said, one simply has to create a potential undue risk to the NAS or to people/property in order to be charged and convicted of a crime. I have never gotten close to hitting anyone while speeding, but I have been convicted of my share of speeding tickets. My most recent violation was running a red light (about 0.5 - 0.75 seconds after the light turned red.) I did not get close to hitting anyone, since the lights in the other parts of the intersection has not yet turned green. The cop pulled me over anyway, and gave me a citation.

I do think Usman has a decent chance of avoiding criminal prosecution. However, I think he will still face civil action from the FAA.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:21 PM
GBLynden

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The best step is to stop calling quads drones.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:21 PM
GBLynden

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 03-12-2015, 05:31 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by GBLynden
I agree...certainly worth repeating!
Old 03-13-2015, 02:37 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never liked the moniker "drone" either as the label came from the mainstream media to make headlines. At that point these were just RC multi-rotor helicopters.. Now , however, as technology keeps advancing the quads are coming close to autonomous flight (more like a drone) with waypoint flying, etc...
Old 03-13-2015, 02:46 AM
HunkaJunk

+1, I agree, we should probably be using the same terminology as the regulation. when I hear the term "drone" I am thinking UAV (Unmanned Arial Vehicle), and not defined as a model aircraft.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:42 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by phlpsfrnk
cj,
My understanding of “within programming” I believe to be such things as the waivers provided by the AMA’s Large Model Airplane Program (over 55 pounds) and its turbine waiver programs. These will never be “FAA rules,” only exceptions that the FAA will accept.

TFRs are a bad example of why one must be a member of a CBO because TFRs are freely available to everyone and the source below is more up-to-date than anything the AMA can provide;
Next time U are at your LHS check and see just how many people Even know of the AMA ... TFR ... and where when how they are allowed to fly. Even the Help at most of the LHS here in PHX aera don't have a clue or just don't want to know . What U don't seam to under stand is that with out belonging to a CBO/AMA or passing some sort of test to fly TOY Air Planes people have NO CLUE and don't even care wen u try to explain it too them.
http://tfr.faa.gov/tfr2/list.html

Everyone that flies within 30NM of a major airport should check it before they fly.
Major Air Ports have nothing to do with TFR. They are only Incidental to the travels of the VIP for home the TFR is enforce for. Usually the pres of the USA. There many other TFR's where U are not allowed to fly model airplanes . Example with in 3 miles of less than 3000' above a Stadium of 30,000 people for 1 hour before to 1 hour after an scheduled. near or around major dilators fires ect.

The Rich Hanson quote appears to be a snipped comment from a personnel e-mail to an individual and because it appears to be out of context I won’t comment further on it. I cannot find any references in the AMA Website that one must be a member to fly safely.

Regards
Frank
see answer to Red Hi-lighted statements above.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:59 AM
HoundDog

Great Idea ...GBLynden;
U call NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX and all your local stations and try to explain the Difference between a DROMN and a Quad / HEX / OCTO Rotter craft. While U R at it tell them that TOY AIR PLANES aren't DROMNsToo.
Even though if all 170 thousand Paying CBO/AMA Member and tha CBO/AMA it's self referred to them a Quads ect or did refer to them in their proper nomenclature, with the National and Local News Media we have. That Ain't Ever Gonna Happen. Again JMHO
Old 03-13-2015, 09:21 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The major retailers (Tower, Horizon, Hobby People, etc) have started calling quads, even toy quads, "Drones". That is a battle we have already lost. The good news is that they are limiting that name to multi-motor heli-type UAV's, and that will undoubtedly help the public recognize the difference between traditional model airplanes and "drones".

Last edited by jrf; 03-13-2015 at 09:24 AM.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:16 AM
N410DC

As far as I know, the FAA has never used the term "drone." They use the UAS term, which is analogous to the definition of "done" that has been recently adopted.

If anyone ever gets upset about me flying my "drone," I'll simply say "don't worry, the FAA does not define this aircraft as a drone."
Old 03-13-2015, 11:18 AM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by N410DC
As far as I know, the FAA has never used the term "drone." They use the UAS term, which is analogous to the definition of "done" that has been recently adopted.

If anyone ever gets upset about me flying my "drone," I'll simply say "don't worry, the FAA does not define this aircraft as a drone."
Well that's alright for you to say, but I'm losing sleep worrying over it.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:18 AM
cj_rumley

Old 03-13-2015, 09:34 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
cj: When is the last time U have flown a DROMN or any R/C Flying thing any place other than an
AMA/CBO Chartered filed. No self Respecting FAA personal is going to mess with anyone
flying at an AMA/CBO
chartered field Unless they don't give way to an maned air craft that might be flying low over your field, or something like that.
But check out FAR 91.119 (b)
(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.

I contacted the Phoenix FSDO Fight Safety District Office. I asked what the FAA person What they considered "any open air assembly of persons" He stared that it could be as few as 2 people having a picnic on a blanket.

That being said no maned air plane should be allowed to fly over any OCCUPIED air field at an altitude Lower than 2000' above the highest object at the field.
Remember As a modeler we still have to give way to all man carrying aerial vehicles.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:34 AM
GerKonig

Well happy international drone day y'all!

Do not take my word please, google it. The day is today, the 14th.

This is a good thing the more people learn about drones, better.

They are not going anywhere anytime soon.

Gerry
PS It is funny how much it seems the WWI times again. At the beginning the airplanes flew recon missions. then they decided to drop bombs from the airplanes, then... well, you know.
With the drones, the story was similar. It was not until during the Bush administration when they had the idea of adding a weapon to the Predator... Move that proved to be brilliant. But now, the revolution will not be in the military field, it will be in the many civilian applications we will witness in the coming years. You cannot stop progress, nor can you stop the drones. (toy drones or working ones)

Last edited by GerKonig; 03-14-2015 at 11:35 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-14-2015, 11:42 AM
GerKonig

This is from the FAA website page:

Gerry

[h=1]Unmanned Aircraft Systems[/h]
[h=2]News Stories[/h]

Unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) are inherently different from manned aircraft. Introducing UAS into the nation's airspace is challenging for both the FAA and aviation community, because the U.S. has the busiest, most complex airspace in the world. The FAA is taking an incremental approach to safe UAS integration.
What Can I Do with my Model Aircraft?
UAS come in a variety of shapes and sizes and serve diverse purposes. Regardless of size, the responsibility to fly safely applies equally to manned and unmanned aircraft operations. The FAA is partnering with several industry associations to promote safe and responsible use of unmanned aircraft. Read more about the Know Before You Fly educational campaign.
[h=2]Different Types of UAS Operations[/h]
Old 03-14-2015, 12:48 PM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by HoundDog

cj: When is the last time U have flown a DROMN or any R/C Flying thing any place other than an
AMA/CBO Chartered filed. No self Respecting FAA personal is going to mess with anyone
flying at an AMA/CBO
chartered field Unless they don't give way to an maned air craft that might be flying low over your field, or something like that.
HoundDog, Like many others the CBO chartered club that controls the field where I usually fly when I need improved facilities (i.e., a runway) does not allow multi-rotor craft, which I am assuming is what you mean by dromn, drome, drone, etc. That being the case, the last time I flew one the place was the street in front of my house.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:07 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by GerKonig
Well happy international drone day y'all!

Do not take my word please, google it. The day is today, the 14th.

This is a good thing the more people learn about drones, better.

They are not going anywhere anytime soon.

Gerry
PS It is funny how much it seems the WWI times again. At the beginning the airplanes flew recon missions. then they decided to drop bombs from the airplanes, then... well, you know.
With the drones, the story was similar. It was not until during the Bush administration when they had the idea of adding a weapon to the Predator... Move that proved to be brilliant. But now, the revolution will not be in the military field, it will be in the many civilian applications we will witness in the coming years. You cannot stop progress, nor can you stop the drones. (toy drones or working ones)

from GOOGLE : Who'd of Thunk It? Man that's wild.

International Drone Day | March 14, 2015

http://www.internationaldroneday.com/

Join us for International Drone Day on March 14, 2015 and show the world that “Drones are Good” Over 150 events are going in nearly every part of the world, ..

Last edited by HoundDog; 03-14-2015 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:16 PM
GerKonig

from GOOGLE : Who'd of Thunk It? Man that's wild.

International Drone Day | March 14, 2015

http://www.internationaldroneday.com/

Join us for International Drone Day on March 14, 2015 and show the world that “Drones are Good” Over 150 events are going in nearly every part of the world, ..

Well, if you real in between lines, what this is telling us is that someone is pumping money into this to educate the morons (sorry, I meant general population). And if they are spending money, this tells me that 'they" understand the importance of clearing some things out in some people's minds. (No matter how small those might be)

So who are "they" (that are spending money)?

Te industry, ready to start pumping products out into the market as soon as they are allowed. The toy industry (or model), us, we have no problem...

If one clicks on any of these lnks (from the FAA) one can get more definitions, and info. We are under "recreation/hobby"

Gerry
Old 03-14-2015, 02:21 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by GerKonig
This is from the FAA website page:
Gerry: if it were Mandatory to read understand and pass a written (Computer Test) even a free one, The sales of DROMNS would drop to a trickle .... Glade U thought of a Mandatory Test administered by the FAA/NTSB

READ All of this and understand, there will be a TEST.

Unmanned Aircraft Systems

News Stories

Unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) are inherently different from manned aircraft. Introducing UAS into the nation's airspace is challenging for both the FAA and aviation community, because the U.S. has the busiest, most complex airspace in the world. The FAA is taking an incremental approach to safe UAS integration.
What Can I Do with my Model Aircraft?
UAS come in a variety of shapes and sizes and serve diverse purposes. Regardless of size, the responsibility to fly safely applies equally to manned and unmanned aircraft operations. The FAA is partnering with several industry associations to promote safe and responsible use of unmanned aircraft. Read more about the Know Before You Fly educational campaign.
Different Types of UAS Operations

Old 03-18-2015, 07:56 AM
bradpaul

Well I guess the drome (drone) haters will need to add model aircraft with wings to the should be banned list..............................
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...-3754736443001

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	video-undefined-20E26E3800000578-792_636x358.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	2082271   Click image for larger version

Name:	26C02EAA00000578-2999644-image-a-17_1426634746157.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	2082272  

Last edited by bradpaul; 03-18-2015 at 08:00 AM.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:52 AM
HoundDog

Well BOYS it'a finally Put Up or Shut Up time
https://us-mg205.mail.yahoo.com/neo/...q2bckfpdt#mail

[TABLE="width: 100%, align: center"]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"][TABLE="class: yiv4722149163container, width: 600, align: center"]
[TR]
[TD][TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD][TABLE="width: 100%, align: left"]
[TR]
[TD="class: yiv4722149163content-padding"][TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD]To view this email as a web page, go here.
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"][TABLE="class: yiv4722149163container, width: 600, align: center"]
[TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: yiv4722149163header"][TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TR]
[TD]
You're receiving this email because of your affiliation with the Academy of Model Aeronautics.
[TABLE="class: yiv4722149163dashedBorder, width: 700"]
[TR]
[TD="width: 25, bgcolor: #a0defd"][/TD]
[TD="width: 360, bgcolor: #a0defd"]Academy of Model Aeronautics
Member Communication
[/TD]
[TD="width: 290, bgcolor: #a0defd"][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD="width: 360, bgcolor: #bcbcbc"]Tuesday, March 17, 2015[/TD]
[TD="width: 290, bgcolor: #bcbcbc"]
[/TD]
[TD="width: 25, bgcolor: #bcbcbc"][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: yiv4722149163drop, width: 33%"][/TD]
[TD="class: yiv4722149163drop, width: 2%"][/TD]
[TD="class: yiv4722149163drop, width: 65%"][TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: yiv4722149163drop, colspan: 3"][TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TR]
[TD]
AMA's Response to the FAA's sUAS NPRM

On February 23, 2015, the FAA published its proposed regulations for small unmanned aircraft systems (sUAS) as a notice of proposed rulemaking (NPRM). This began a 60-day period during which the public can comment on the proposed regulations. When finalized, the proposed rules would become the safety regulations for operating small,non-recreational, unmanned aircraft.

In accordance with the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (the AMA amendment) established by Congress in the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 (P.L. 112-95), the new regulations would not apply to model aircraft operated within the safety programming of a nationwide community-based organization. This is good news for AMA members; however, the FAA has said that to be exempt from regulations, model aircraft operators must operate within the parameters of the Special Rule set out by Congress in 2012.

The NPRM references FAA's June 2014 interpretation of the Special Rule. As indicated in detail in updates to our members last summer , the AMA has taken exception to several aspects of FAA's interpretation. The main areas of concern are that the FAA's interpretation:

Asserts model aircraft to be "aircraft" and effectively makes model airplanes subject to all regulations applicable to full-scale aircraft.
• Makes model aircraft subject to airspace requirements that have never been applicable in the past and with which it is impossible or impractical to comply.
• Effectively changes the criteria for operating within 5 miles of an airport from the requirement of providing prior "notification" to a requirement of obtaining prior permission.
• Narrowly defines "hobby and recreation" and puts in question the activities of the supporting aeromodeling industry and AMA's educational programs.

• Rigidly defines the requirement to operate within visual line of sight and targets the use of a specific aeromodeling technology/equipment, namely first-person view (FPV) goggles.

Overall, the AMA views the proposed sUAS regulations as a positive step. With one exception that may impact model aircraft manufacturers, it essentially takes the language in the 2012 Special Rule for Model Aircraft (the AMA amendment) and places it in the federal aviation regulations.

Get all the members of your family and all your friends to comment also.
We encourage members to submit comments commending the FAA for appropriately separating model aviation from the new regulations. However, AMA would also encourage members to include in their comments the need to resolve the discrepancies stemming from the Interpretive Rule before finalizing the sUAS rule. In any case, it's important that our members provide their comments in support of the proposed rule. It's possible that there will be members of the public or aviation industry who will be opposed to a rule that protects the model aviation hobby, and we need to make sure that our voices are heard in support of continued community-based self-governance.

Comments on the proposed sUAS rule can be made by clicking here. Read the proposed rule carefully, particularly the sections concerning "model aircraft," and submit comments on areas where you have a concern as well as thoughtful and productive comments in areas where you feel there could be improvement. AMA has created a suggested template for comments, which we strongly encourage you to edit and personalize. Unless extended, the deadline for submitting comments is 11:59 p.m., Friday, April 24, 2015.
[h=4]Template Comment for AMA Members
(copy the template, click the comment now button below, and paste into the comment field)[/h]
[TABLE="width: 600, align: center"]
[TR]
[TD="align: left"]I am writing in response to the FAA's proposal to regulate small unmanned aircraft systems, including model aircraft. [Insert personal introduction details such as: I am a [job/profession], a member of the Academy of Model Aeronautics, and have been safely and responsibly flying model aircraft for ___ years. I am also a model aircraft club officer/educator/designer, etc.]

I support the exemption of recreational model aircraft from the regulation of unmanned aircraft systems. As Congress recognized, self-governance under community-based safety guidelines has worked exceptionally well for decades, and should remain in place. However, I have the following concerns about the FAA's proposal: [choose all that you feel apply, and feel free to add other comments]

The FAA has repeated its June 2014 statement that model aircraft are "aircraft" subject to all existing aviation regulations. The FAA must revise this interpretation so that it is in agreement with what Congress directed in 2012, which is that recreational model aircraft are subject to community-based safety guidelines, not aviation regulations. Similarly, the regulatory proposal excludes ultralight vehicles, moored balloons, kites, amateur rockets, and unmanned free balloons from the FAA's aircraft operating regulations but neglects to expressly exclude model aircraft. The proposed regulation should make it clear that model aircraft meeting the criteria established by Congress are not subject to aviation regulations.

Also, the proposal leaves out the part of the statute that excludes "an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft" from aviation regulations. This exclusion must be added to the regulations. Companies in the model aircraft industry should not be regulated as if they are aircraft manufacturers.

The FAA bases its proposal on its June 2014 interpretation of the law concerning model aircraft. There were 33,000 comments submitted last summer concerning that interpretation [including mine]. The future regulations for model aircraft should not be based on incorrect interpretations of what Congress wrote. Some of the interpretations that should be changed to the extent they form the basis for any current or future regulation include:

• Making model aircraft subject to airspace requirements such as air traffic control clearance, that have never been applicable in the past and with which it is impossible or impractical to comply. Congress indicated the maximum obligation, which is actually stricter than what the FAA's guidance has been for the past 34 years: notifying the airport when operating within five miles. That is the most that model aircraft hobbyists should have to do.
• Rigidly defining a requirement to operate within visual line of sight and that calls into question the use of a specific technology or equipment, namely first-person view (FPV) goggles. The language of the 2012 statute concerning "within visual line of sight" indicates how far away a person should fly the model aircraft, not what method of control may be used for the recreational experience. The proposal for commercial unmanned aircraft acknowledges that an observer (spotter) can be used to ensure airspace safety, just as the AMA's community-based safety guidelines do.
• Narrowly interpreting the words "hobby or recreational use." You should not regulate people who are flying model aircraft in connection with the hobby just because they receive payments. For decades, enthusiasts have participated in contests and competitions that have cash prizes, have been paid to instruct others on how to safely fly models, and have received compensation for aerobatic displays. These payments incidental to the hobby do not change the underlying recreational purpose of the activity or make the hobby any less safe, and regulating these activities would be highly disruptive to the hobby without any benefit.

Respectfully,
[Name]
[Optional] AMA Member Number: _________[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: yiv4722149163drop, colspan: 3"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[/TR]
[TR]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 03-18-2015, 08:52 AM
HoundDog

Well BOYS it'a finally Put Up or Shut Up time

[TR]
[TR]
[TR]
[TR]
[TR]
[TD]To view this email as a web page, go here.
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TR]
[TR]
[TR]
[TR]
[TD]
You're receiving this email because of your affiliation with the Academy of Model Aeronautics.
[TR]
Member Communication
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD="width: 290, bgcolor: #bcbcbc"]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TR]
[TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TR]
[TR]
[TD]

On February 23, 2015, the FAA published its proposed regulations for small unmanned aircraft systems (sUAS) as a notice of proposed rulemaking (NPRM). This began a 60-day period during which the public can comment on the proposed regulations. When finalized, the proposed rules would become the safety regulations for operating small,non-recreational, unmanned aircraft.

In accordance with the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (the AMA amendment) established by Congress in the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 (P.L. 112-95), the new regulations would not apply to model aircraft operated within the safety programming of a nationwide community-based organization. This is good news for AMA members; however, the FAA has said that to be exempt from regulations, model aircraft operators must operate within the parameters of the Special Rule set out by Congress in 2012.

The NPRM references FAA's June 2014 interpretation of the Special Rule. As indicated in detail in updates to our members last summer , the AMA has taken exception to several aspects of FAA's interpretation. The main areas of concern are that the FAA's interpretation:

Asserts model aircraft to be "aircraft" and effectively makes model airplanes subject to all regulations applicable to full-scale aircraft.
• Makes model aircraft subject to airspace requirements that have never been applicable in the past and with which it is impossible or impractical to comply.
• Effectively changes the criteria for operating within 5 miles of an airport from the requirement of providing prior "notification" to a requirement of obtaining prior permission.
• Narrowly defines "hobby and recreation" and puts in question the activities of the supporting aeromodeling industry and AMA's educational programs.

• Rigidly defines the requirement to operate within visual line of sight and targets the use of a specific aeromodeling technology/equipment, namely first-person view (FPV) goggles.

Overall, the AMA views the proposed sUAS regulations as a positive step. With one exception that may impact model aircraft manufacturers, it essentially takes the language in the 2012 Special Rule for Model Aircraft (the AMA amendment) and places it in the federal aviation regulations.

We encourage members to submit comments commending the FAA for appropriately separating model aviation from the new regulations. However, AMA would also encourage members to include in their comments the need to resolve the discrepancies stemming from the Interpretive Rule before finalizing the sUAS rule. In any case, it's important that our members provide their comments in support of the proposed rule. It's possible that there will be members of the public or aviation industry who will be opposed to a rule that protects the model aviation hobby, and we need to make sure that our voices are heard in support of continued community-based self-governance.

Comments on the proposed sUAS rule can be made by clicking here. Read the proposed rule carefully, particularly the sections concerning "model aircraft," and submit comments on areas where you have a concern as well as thoughtful and productive comments in areas where you feel there could be improvement. AMA has created a suggested template for comments, which we strongly encourage you to edit and personalize. Unless extended, the deadline for submitting comments is 11:59 p.m., Friday, April 24, 2015.
[h=4]Template Comment for AMA Members
(copy the template, click the comment now button below, and paste into the comment field)[/h]
[TR]
[TD="align: left"]I am writing in response to the FAA's proposal to regulate small unmanned aircraft systems, including model aircraft. [Insert personal introduction details such as: I am a [job/profession], a member of the Academy of Model Aeronautics, and have been safely and responsibly flying model aircraft for ___ years. I am also a model aircraft club officer/educator/designer, etc.]

I support the exemption of recreational model aircraft from the regulation of unmanned aircraft systems. As Congress recognized, self-governance under community-based safety guidelines has worked exceptionally well for decades, and should remain in place. However, I have the following concerns about the FAA's proposal: [choose all that you feel apply, and feel free to add other comments]

The FAA has repeated its June 2014 statement that model aircraft are "aircraft" subject to all existing aviation regulations. The FAA must revise this interpretation so that it is in agreement with what Congress directed in 2012, which is that recreational model aircraft are subject to community-based safety guidelines, not aviation regulations. Similarly, the regulatory proposal excludes ultralight vehicles, moored balloons, kites, amateur rockets, and unmanned free balloons from the FAA's aircraft operating regulations but neglects to expressly exclude model aircraft. The proposed regulation should make it clear that model aircraft meeting the criteria established by Congress are not subject to aviation regulations.

Also, the proposal leaves out the part of the statute that excludes "an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft" from aviation regulations. This exclusion must be added to the regulations. Companies in the model aircraft industry should not be regulated as if they are aircraft manufacturers.

The FAA bases its proposal on its June 2014 interpretation of the law concerning model aircraft. There were 33,000 comments submitted last summer concerning that interpretation [including mine]. The future regulations for model aircraft should not be based on incorrect interpretations of what Congress wrote. Some of the interpretations that should be changed to the extent they form the basis for any current or future regulation include:

• Making model aircraft subject to airspace requirements such as air traffic control clearance, that have never been applicable in the past and with which it is impossible or impractical to comply. Congress indicated the maximum obligation, which is actually stricter than what the FAA's guidance has been for the past 34 years: notifying the airport when operating within five miles. That is the most that model aircraft hobbyists should have to do.
• Rigidly defining a requirement to operate within visual line of sight and that calls into question the use of a specific technology or equipment, namely first-person view (FPV) goggles. The language of the 2012 statute concerning "within visual line of sight" indicates how far away a person should fly the model aircraft, not what method of control may be used for the recreational experience. The proposal for commercial unmanned aircraft acknowledges that an observer (spotter) can be used to ensure airspace safety, just as the AMA's community-based safety guidelines do.
• Narrowly interpreting the words "hobby or recreational use." You should not regulate people who are flying model aircraft in connection with the hobby just because they receive payments. For decades, enthusiasts have participated in contests and competitions that have cash prizes, have been paid to instruct others on how to safely fly models, and have received compensation for aerobatic displays. These payments incidental to the hobby do not change the underlying recreational purpose of the activity or make the hobby any less safe, and regulating these activities would be highly disruptive to the hobby without any benefit.

Respectfully,
[Name]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[/TR]
[TR]
[/TR]
[TR]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 03-18-2015, 08:53 AM
HoundDog

Well BOYS it's finally Put Up or Shut Up time

[TR]
[TR]
[TR]
[TR]
[TR]
[TD]To view this email as a web page, go here.[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TR]
[TR]
[TR]
[TR]
[TD]
[TR]
Member Communication
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD="width: 290, bgcolor: #bcbcbc"][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TR]
[TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TR]
[TR]
[TD]

Template Comment for AMA Members
(copy the template, click the comment now button below, and paste into the comment field)

[TR]

Respectfully,
[Name]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[/TR]
[TR]
[/TR]
[TR]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 03-18-2015, 09:28 AM
phlpsfrnk

Well BOYS it's finally Put Up or Shut Up time
How about deleting two of your triplicate posts?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.