Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

time to stop the dromes..........NOW

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

time to stop the dromes..........NOW

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 03:08 PM
DeferredDefect

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cyclops2
The military are almost all computer controlled & fly by wire. US Navy stuff can do a fully automatic , perfect landing if the pilot is unconscious . Their computers do not say. " Bad pilot. Crash the plane. "

Why would any insurance company insure a computer controlled A 380? Or any plane with a computer designed tho crash a plane if crew forgets or is untrained ?

STUPID & premediated murder by the computer company.................PRIME DIRECTIVE should be to NOT allow any damage to the plane / people in it.
Uhh, nothing could be further from the truth. Airbus is like any other major aircraft manufacturer - they need orders to survive. Intentionally building in design flaws (the "premeditated murder") would absolutely destroy them as a respected aircraft builder, and jumps the shark so far into conspiracy theory land that I don't even know where to begin.

Any and every accident hurts sales, so even by the logic of straight capitalism, there would be an absolute need to make these things as safe as humanly possible.

Sure, there's been accidents caused by over-reliance on automation, but that still falls on the shoulders of the PIC as pilot error for not understanding the systems. In almost every other case, automation is (as much as I hate to say it) an addition to safety.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:28 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

All about making the most money.

Boeing & their weight saving, Thermal Runaway batteries. A type of LIPO was used KNOWING FIRES were a almost constant danger ?

A380 allows the plane to NOT ADD POWER to avoid crashing ?

TERRIBLE safety record by everyone in modern airliners. SAVE WEIGHT. MORE PROFIT per mile. That is what I see. There are millions of passengers waiting to be killed in a preventable crash. The pilots are there because of the pilots UNION. Pilots WASTE FUEL. Get rid of the pilot...........Is done on many flights..............MONEY MONEY...........It is ALL about making more money per flight

No crew on planes very shortly. Why is the plane decending ? Ask the computer !!
Old 03-23-2015, 03:31 PM
cyclops2

Daddy !! There is a drone circling our house. OPEN the front door & sign the paper.

Watch out for the spinning blades..................911 we have a cut up customer.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:24 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by ira d
I missed your point, What is it that won't do me much good?
If you were expecting to find a safe comercial aircraft. All pilots are well trained and experienced human beings. The computer is just another link in the man-machine interface. A rather weak link at present.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:57 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnShe
If you were expecting to find a safe comercial aircraft. All pilots are well trained and experienced human beings. The computer is just another link in the man-machine interface. A rather weak link at present.
I think anyone that flies including yourself expect the plane they board to be safe and the crew competent and well trained, That may not always be the case but that is what we expect however in my
post you quoted I did not say anything about what I expected but since you brought it up I do expect a safe aircraft and crew when I travel.

IMO the computer is not the problem in most aircraft crashes but rather it is the pilots who make poor decisions that are at fault in most cases.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:35 AM
cyclops2

Default Pilots are innocent but proven guilty ?

www.airdisaster.com Investigation: Air France 296.......................... This does not take you to 296 crash. Too many crashes since then.

Do a separate web search of the site & crash number. Unbelievable French corruption at work & Airbus employees swapping crash boxes. Criminal.

Last edited by cyclops2; 03-24-2015 at 03:41 AM.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:59 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Airbus A320 Crash In French Alps: Live Blog

• GERMANWINGS AIRBUS A320 CRASHES IN SOUTHERN FRENCH ALPS
  • 144 PASSENGERS AND SIX CREW ON BOARD - ALL FEARED DEAD
  • PASSENGER JET HAD BEEN TRAVELING FROM BARCELONA TO DUSSELDORF
  • FRENCH PRESIDENT FRANCOIS HOLLANDE HAS SAID THERE ARE UNLIKELY TO BE ANY SURVIVORS
  • DEBRIS HAS BEEN LOCATED ON THE ALPS AT AN ALTITUDE OF AROUND 6,500 FT
  • FLIGHT 4U9525 ISSUED EMERGENCY "7700" SQUAWK TO AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL BEFORE DESCENDING FROM 38,000 FT
  • WEATHER WAS CALM AT TIME OF CRASH AND THERE DIDN'T APPEAR TO HAVE BEEN TURBULENCE
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/airbus-a32...5.html#lDMlDzn

When I fly commercial, That's why I check every ones number, to see we aren't all the same.
U Know about "when that man calls your Number?"

Last edited by HoundDog; 03-24-2015 at 05:04 AM.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:22 AM
DeferredDefect

None of that matters when accident rates have been steadily dropping since the end of WWII, even considering the steady increase in flight hours around the globe.

Or look here: http://www.airsafe.com/events/models/rate_mod.htm

The A318/19/20 range that is "so dangerous" has a better safety record than the Boeing 737. In fact, the accident rates are almost identical, especially when considering the era that the aircraft are coming from. (727s and A300s have had more accidents, for instance).

All the anti-Airbus or anti-Boeing rhetoric is all baseless fanboying that should end when an accident happens. It's completely tasteless and takes away from what we can really learn from it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1e16856b-b0f6-4f14-a6dc-d8a5d67461cb-620x372.png
Views:	90
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	2083821  
Old 03-24-2015, 11:06 AM
ramboamt
My Feedback: (36)

Here is another database for aviation accident investigation: http://aviation-safety.net/database/

The A320 crash in France was the result of pilot error, they did not understand the TO/GA function of the FMC. Since then the pilot training syllabus has been updated to alleviate these problems.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:56 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by DeferredDefect
None of that matters when accident rates have been steadily dropping since the end of WWII, even considering the steady increase in flight hours around the globe.

Or look here: http://www.airsafe.com/events/models/rate_mod.htm

The A318/19/20 range that is "so dangerous" has a better safety record than the Boeing 737. In fact, the accident rates are almost identical, especially when considering the era that the aircraft are coming from. (727s and A300s have had more accidents, for instance).

All the anti-Airbus or anti-Boeing rhetoric is all baseless fanboying that should end when an accident happens. It's completely tasteless and takes away from what we can really learn from it.
What anti-airbus rhetoric?
Old 03-24-2015, 03:02 PM
HoundDog

Commercial aviation is still the safest mode of transportation know to man. But don't tell tha to the 150 people spread all over the alps, bottom of the Atlantic Ocean, Birmingham AL. and the millions of other places Where people found out that their Proverbial "Number was Up"
Old 03-24-2015, 03:23 PM
cyclops2

I prefer a accident in a car, bus or boat. Recovery is faster than being in a zippered up body bag.

Enough serious stuff. I will see what else we can save in model airplanes.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:12 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

What does all of this have to do with multi-rotors (drones or dromes as per the op) and the ama ?????
Old 03-24-2015, 05:30 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
What does all of this have to do with multi-rotors (drones or dromes as per the op) and the ama ?????
Are you accusing us of being off-topic?
Old 03-24-2015, 05:49 PM
cj_rumley

Are you accusing us of being off-topic?
I think he is.....and he does have point.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:12 PM
DeferredDefect

Default So ya wanna talk drones?

"time to stop the dromes........NOW"

I sure hope not, especially considering my most recent project!

Wanting to get some decent aerial video, and obviously inundated with all this "drome" nonsense, I decided the best course of action was to design and build my first tricopter, which I just flew for the first time this week.

Being the traditionalist, it had to be made of wood, so the frame is 1/16 and 1/8 inch ply from Tower Hobbies, with 5/8" dowels for the booms. The two forward booms are simply attached with bolts so that if one is removed, the whole thing folds so it can be transported.

A lot easier than a one piece Tiger 60 wing, that's for sure!

The electronics were all sourced from Hobbyking, which included three 700kv bell style outrunners, 20a ESCs, the KK2 flight control board, a 9 gram metal geared servo, and a 3000 mAh 4 cell LiPo. All of this resulted in a day or so of wiring, which was a nice change of pace from clearing up balsa and plywood dust.

The tilt mechanism for the rear rotor was built ala the FliteTest design, which was probably the most time consuming part of the construction.

Finally, having been dragged into the 21st century, kicking and screaming, I made one concession in using my tried and true Tower Hobbies 72 mhz computer radio. Obviously having the long antenna meant that I had to wind it around a straw to keep it out of the rotors.

Total cost? Around $200 with shipping.

Now as I found out, the KK2 has an auto level feature that I decided to bind to my retracts channel, so it can be turned on and off in flight.
Naturally, I have left it off, because having been a fixed wing pilot for a decade or so, this should be easy as pie....

Not even close!

Although it flies "locked in", not that automatically trailing yaw is tricky, and means that if you don't fly coordinated (and not that half honest touch of rudder most guys are using), you'll end up behind the ship very fast. This thing requires constant attention to keep it from drifting, and is a really great challenge to keep where I want it. I'd be willing to bet that even a top-tier pattern pilot will be sweating on their first go, if not breaking props and cracking booms (as I've done so myself).

All in all, this is a fantastic aspect of the hobby that I'm enjoying immensely, introducing new challenges to myself in both building and flying, and will no doubt make me a better fixed wing pilot as well.

Most importantly, this is not something that's completely alien and should be banned. Coming from a balsa and glow guy, this is 100% just another model aircraft, and a really fantastically fun one at that.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150324_21_39_26_Pro.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	2083938   Click image for larger version

Name:	wp_ss_20150324_0001.png
Views:	37
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	2083939  
Old 03-24-2015, 06:33 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
I think he is.....and he does have point.
Did I forget to put a smiley face in the post? :-)
Old 03-24-2015, 07:00 PM
cj_rumley

Did I forget to put a smiley face in the post? :-)
Naw, I heard you
Old 03-24-2015, 07:10 PM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by DeferredDefect
"time to stop the dromes........NOW"

I sure hope not, especially considering my most recent project!

Wanting to get some decent aerial video, and obviously inundated with all this "drome" nonsense, I decided the best course of action was to design and build my first tricopter, which I just flew for the first time this week.
Nice job! Clearly a real modeling effort of the sort that has been a prime attraction to our hobby, at least for me. Not just another Phantom by any means.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:41 PM
DeferredDefect

Thanks CJ!

I've been pretty quiet as far as modelling goes over the past year or so, and this has been a nice way to get back in the swing of things. Lots of new things to learn, and it's really been forcing me to re-learn what I thought I knew about flying. By no means are multi rotors going to replace my fleet (fixed wing aircraft are what got me into this hobby after all), but this kind of machine is a great supplement for anyone wanting to expand their horizons a bit.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:58 PM
HoundDog

[h=1]Amazon says US too late on drone rules
Washington (AFP) - Online giant Amazon told Congress on Tuesday the US government is lagging in implementing rules for commercial drones, making it hard to make plans for its quick delivery system by air.[/h]Amazon's vice president for global public policy Paul Misener said in remarks prepared for a Senate hearing that the US approval granted last week for the company's drone testing program came so late that it had already moved on to a new technology.

The rest of the story :https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/amazon-...190614044.html
Old 03-25-2015, 08:33 AM
reo
My Feedback: (130)

Originally Posted by handyman
as we read each day the problems of dromes is hurting us all......been in the hobby for over 40 yrs and would like to see 50 yrs of enjoyment.......but its got to stop now,people who sell these things and the people who use them.........or better yet who misuse them it needs to stop today....we will all be hurt over a few who dont care and only look at what they want to do.....the clubs should out law these things and the hobby shops who sell them should stop......what is going to happen is someone is gooding kill someone and the FAA will ground all of us.i say we stop it befor it gets to that point........big hobby supplyers should wait up and understand that is going on...lets put a stop to this today befor its to late..............
this horse has left the barn....
Old 03-25-2015, 06:51 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by handyman
as we read each day the problems of dromes is hurting us all......been in the hobby for over 40 yrs and would like to see 50 yrs of enjoyment.......but its got to stop now,people who sell these things and the people who use them.........or better yet who misuse them it needs to stop today....we will all be hurt over a few who dont care and only look at what they want to do.....the clubs should out law these things and the hobby shops who sell them should stop......what is going to happen is someone is gooding kill someone and the FAA will ground all of us.i say we stop it befor it gets to that point........big hobby supplyers should wait up and understand that is going on...lets put a stop to this today befor its to late..............

Originally Posted by reo
this horse has left the barn....

reo
As Yogi Berra said, "It ain't Over till It's over"

.lets put a stop to this today before its to late.

This is Never Going to Happen. The problem is not to OUT LAW Quad but to impart the Knowledge to those the fly these R/C TOYS of When Where and How they are to be flown in the NAS. I made the suggestion that to Fly any R/C in the NAS one must simply prove that they have the knowledge, by Reading and then taking a computer test on the Rules and FAR's pertaining to the When Where and how these R/C TOYS may be flown.

From another Forum:

Again that's the problem. All U brilliant people are "Preaching To The Quire" so to speak.
We all know "Where, How and When we are allowed to fly our TOY's. Again I'm (Beating a Dead Horse) But Still
the problem remains with people flying any R/C device with out this knowledge.
"WILL U AT LEAST AGREE TO THIS HYPOTHESIS".

Then this being the real Problem, How do we, as the knowledgeable R/C flyers, Disseminate or impart this knowledge to those that would, through Ignorance, of any rules or FAR's for flying R/C air craft in a manor that will cause the FAA/NTSB to attempt (Because of the Inevitable Disaster with a full scale air craft) try to limit all R/C flying through out the USA.
Make No Mistake this is the real problem, Not what the FAA or CBO/AMA set as rules/FAR's but how this info is imparted on any and all that fly some form of R/C in the NAS. Like AlwaysJMHO
Old 03-25-2015, 07:42 PM
Sport_Pilot

I got an idea! How bout a law that says all multi rotor copters must use glow or gas engines! That way only the die hard hobbyist that doesn't mind the goo will mess with them!
Old 03-25-2015, 08:04 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
I got an idea! How bout a law that says all multi rotor copters must use glow or gas engines! That way only the die hard hobbyist that doesn't mind the goo will mess with them!
Sporty: My good man.
If it wasn't so Utterly Stupid, but then U proposed this "Toung in Cheek" correct? Just for fun let's say it's an Excellent Idea ... That way they will be able to fly for an hour or more instead of the 8 minutes max they fly know. That's means 4 minutes out and 4 minutes back, If flying against the wind going out. They will also make every one they fly over keenly aware they are there with the NOISE. But then it doesn't mater if your local flying field takes the blame because there just a bunch of O'l Men flying those Noisy annoying Little TOY airplanes. Well it must be those
O'l Gezzers flying them Darn DRONES. Ya Know Like the ones the News guy always talks about. and they crash on the white house lawn. Again JMHO