Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Do we really need the ama, or is it just like auto insurance...another ripoff?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: Do we really need the AMA???
YEA
82.91%
NAY
17.09%
Voters: 316. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 08:44 AM
blhollo2
My Feedback: (278)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who knows, I'll be fly with or without them!
Old 12-11-2014, 08:54 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

For the unaware and belong to the "AMA" read the fine print on insurance coverage. The intent of the "AMA" and still is was to gather all those in pursuit of this hobby under one umbrella. For the most part they have accomplished there task but now they are being challenged by the "drone" enthusiast, who don't fit into the mold of fixed or rotary wing aircraft.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:09 AM
BobbyMcGee

================================================== ============

I feel the ama needs us (um ... I mean our money) more than we need them.
But I still join ... only because of club or field rules.

But I throw all those Model Airplane magazines straight into the trash can. They don't even make it into my house.

Last edited by BobbyMcGee; 12-11-2014 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:13 AM
Maximilionalpha

Out of all fairness and honesty, please guys, only vote once.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:15 AM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by blhollo2
Who knows, I'll be fly with or without them!
That's the real test of having "need" for AMA. If it should come pass that they go away, I'll still be flying too. I need AMA like I need bubble gum.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:54 AM
Flyfast1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those of you who voted "Nay", what will you do for insurance? At least where I live, the cost of $2.5M of excess or "umbrella" coverage is much more expensive than $60 per year. Granted, your own umbrella coverage covers many other liabilities, but it still isn't cheap.

Also, what if more restrictive regulations are implemented in the future. Who would work with representatives of Congress to ensure that private modelers are protected?

-Ed B.

Last edited by Flyfast1; 12-11-2014 at 09:59 AM.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:56 AM
MinnSpin
My Feedback: (40)

Regardless of the poll outcome, I still have 4 gallons of 15% cool power to use, AMA or not.

Last edited by MinnSpin; 12-11-2014 at 10:04 AM.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:20 AM
freefall2907

for those who do not know,the ama is more than an insurance plan,they have fought for this hobby more than any individual has,radio freq"airspace,club fields,and they do more to promote the hobby than any individual could ever dream of,with out the AMA this hobby would have been laid to rest years ago,so for you newcomers that think it is just insurance remember this,the ama has been fighting for its members long before most of us were involved in this hobby,I personaly know of 2 claims paid out by the ama that were extensive amounts,had it not been for the AMA those two individuals would have been ruined financialy,remember this day and age when everyone wants to sue it is nice to know the AMA has our back,been a member since 1979 and i will continue to keep my subscription paid.just my 2 cents worth...Ronald Hopping
Old 12-11-2014, 11:21 AM
bradpaul

Default Do we really need the ama, or is it just like auto insurance...another ripoff?

Which of the three questions in your post do you want answered?

1.Do we really need the ama?
2.is it just like auto insurance?
3..another ripoff?

Answers are YES, NO, NO
Old 12-11-2014, 11:25 AM
LarsL

By the way, OP, what is the objective of the poll?

So far, the poll has a statistical sample size of .0111764 percent which means it is meaningless and by the time it runs its course and activity drops off to zero, it will still be hovering down in inconsequential territory. Just as now, there will still be folks who don't think the AMA is needed and there will be those that think it is. Thankfully, the AMA exists and isn't going away.

Incidentally, I didn't vote as it won't make a difference. If the vote actually meant something, I would have. I did however voice my opinion.

Lars
Old 12-11-2014, 12:09 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by freefall2907
...with out the AMA this hobby would have been laid to rest years ago...
Now support this statement please....

Kurt
Old 12-11-2014, 12:15 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by Bozarth
Now support this statement please....

Kurt
How pathetic would it be if that were true.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:32 PM
acerc

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf

How pathetic would it be if that were true.
I would have to assume it is because without the insurance (AMA) clubs would not exist in the sue happy state we have been in for the last 30-50 years. I know as a property owner I would not allow it without such an insurance policy in place.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:57 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

So would other insurance companies offer such policies?

Kurt
Old 12-11-2014, 01:03 PM
Maximilionalpha

Originally Posted by bradpaul
Which of the three questions in your post do you want answered?

1.Do we really need the ama?
2.is it just like auto insurance?
3..another ripoff?

Answers are YES, NO, NO
The auto insurance and ripoff, are in the same category.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:04 PM
Tony Iannucelli
My Feedback: (193)

I fly at a really great flying field with a terrific bunch of folks from all over the country. We all get along, have a lot of fun, and enjoy the hobby, each in our own way. The county owns the field, and we have a long term lease. The "insurance" AMA allegedly provides helps this to happen. Individual members in our club are required to be members of AMA, so if a few don't have other insurance, the rest of us have some level of financial help if necessary in the event of an accident. The club guys have had a couple of issues, and AMA was no help at all, but push comes to shove, there would be some results I'm sure. The most troublesome thing about AMA to me is that most of our dues, more than half, goes for salaries and benefits to AMA employees, and the figure is in the millions. The financial statements are a blur, and most of us just accept things as they are, because it's not worth fighting over. The SFA was an alternative, but AMA went after them, and that was that. Not to open old wounds; one of the bad things about old age is that we forget everything but the grudges.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:08 PM
Maximilionalpha

Originally Posted by Tony Iannucelli
I fly at a really great flying field with a terrific bunch of folks from all over the country. We all get along, have a lot of fun, and enjoy the hobby, each in our own way. The county owns the field, and we have a long term lease. The "insurance" AMA allegedly provides helps this to happen. Individual members in our club are required to be members of AMA, so if a few don't have other insurance, the rest of us have some level of financial help if necessary in the event of an accident. The club guys have had a couple of issues, and AMA was no help at all, but push comes to shove, there would be some results I'm sure. The most troublesome thing about AMA to me is that most of our dues, more than half, goes for salaries and benefits to AMA employees, and the figure is in the millions. The financial statements are a blur, and most of us just accept things as they are, because it's not worth fighting over. The SFA was an alternative, but AMA went after them, and that was that. Not to open old wounds; one of the bad things about old age is that we forget everything but the grudges.
So, what you're actually saying is, the AMA, has a monopoly going on?
Old 12-11-2014, 01:36 PM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by Maximilionalpha
So, what you're actually saying is, the AMA, has a monopoly going on?
ROFL! Nothing like applying a label to the MO to spark an endless and pointless debate over semantics.

I'm on the side of the guys with bigger arms.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:50 PM
Hossfly

This is more of a poll, than a question...If you're for the AMA, type 'Yea'. Against...type 'Nay'
YES, we do need an AMA, The Academy of Model Aeronautics. Yet more so, we need a clientele of membership that has the smarts to recognize that a significant amount of a real AMA would be to organize the fields of model aviation and care for the many different interests among the overall membership. IMO, a real AMA would be more inclined to provide a true organizational grouping of the aero-modeler population than what I see is simply a bunch of upper staff members that, again IMO, do not provide much more than a typical magazine of staff and extreme amounts of paid advertising. I wonder just where the most of those $$$ go?

Yet, why would the membership do much more? Some 15% at most vote for whatever AMA hands out, and 85% +/- do nothing but pay "for their insurance". That kind of membership simply allows the AMA Staff to do whatever they please, whenever they please with the monies coming into their hands.
I have favored the AMA for many years like some 70 years. I still do and I will continue to do so, Unfortunately the vast majority of the membership does NOT deserve any thing more so than what AMA throws at them. What a frigging shame for the most of you, but you well deserve it. You recently had a real chance to get a lot of things accomplished, but reading the ads took over and you just sit here. SO SAD!

Last edited by Hossfly; 12-11-2014 at 01:57 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:08 PM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

Those people are called blisters. They show up after all the work is done!
Old 12-11-2014, 02:11 PM
JohnShe

[h=2]Do we really need the ama, or is it just like auto insurance...another ripoff?[/h]This is more of a poll, than a question...If you're for the AMA, type 'Yea'. Against...type 'Nay'
Although unethical insurance salesmen can rip you off, I have never considered any form of insurance a rip-off. To me, some forms of insurance, like home owners, health and auto are necessities. Life insurance is a luxury to some degree, but still a good investment.

I see the AMA, though imperfect, as a beneficial service well worth the investment. I think they are failing miserably in the way they have responded to the FAA's plan to deregulate model aviation, like it ever was regulated (he snarked). But, to me, that issue is a separate matter. I gave your poll a "yea" vote even though I do not regard the AMA as a pure necessity.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:37 PM
stoneenforcer
My Feedback: (23)

to the OP... do you really need to waste peoples time with such an )*&%# question? seriously? ( Do we really need the ama, or is it just like auto insurance...another ripoff? ) The second question should be,... "is someone a few tools short of a tool box to ask such a rhetorical question ". hither + yonder... hmmmmm
Old 12-11-2014, 02:40 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

I vote Yea. If I understand correctly, the AMA Insurance is well worth the 50-60 dollars per year. Your homeowners insurance covers you first in case of an accident. If that is exhausted in some type of Lawsuit, the Homeowners only covers up to the Maximum Liability and Medical, of your Policy. If however, it is required that you have to pay more to cover the damages, that is when the AMA Insurance kicks in. If you are a renter, the same applies.
How do put a price on a human fatality or serious accident? It happens. I myself would not like flying without the AMA Insurance.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:12 PM
Hossfly

[QUOTE=FLAPHappy;11935924 .............. I myself would not like flying without the AMA Insurance.[/QUOTE]

I would not like to be on a flying field unless I know that the flyers have AMA Insurance.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:13 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Will not fly without having it"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.