Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Do we really need the ama, or is it just like auto insurance...another ripoff?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: Do we really need the AMA???
YEA
82.91%
NAY
17.09%
Voters: 316. You may not vote on this poll

Do we really need the ama, or is it just like auto insurance...another ripoff?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 03:16 PM
JohnB96041

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a dumb poll. The AMA is our life line, safety advisor, and gives the model pilot great support. Yes...Yes...Yes...
Old 12-11-2014, 03:28 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Perhaps "IF" we didn't have AMA we wouldn't have the 72 and 75 frequencies......and "maybe" the sport would have died when those frequencies were being overrun????? Just some fodder for thought....
Old 12-11-2014, 05:03 PM
LarsL

Originally Posted by tailskid
Perhaps "IF" we didn't have AMA we wouldn't have the 72 and 75 frequencies......and "maybe" the sport would have died when those frequencies were being overrun????? Just some fodder for thought....
Exactly my point earlier and that is just one example of what the collective power of the AMA has done for its membership.

We live in such a "Now" world with no understanding of what happened before and what is possible in the future. If we have our 2.4ghz, multiple worldwide choices of products, etc. we are fat, dumb, but happy. It was always that way, always will be, and it won't take any effort/support to keep it that way.

Is it perfect, no organization can be... but I'm glad we have it and shudder to think of where the hobby would be if it never existed and we didn't have it.

Lars
Old 12-11-2014, 05:09 PM
bw5493
My Feedback: (36)

As a life member and as a Associate VP, You are darn right we need AMA. Having flown at chartered clubs all over the US, Canada, and Germany, I can tell you we are very fortunate to have this coverage. One accident will wipe out all of your life savings, lose your house, and really change your life for the worse. In California, I flew with a group of non AMA folks that shunned all things organized off a road in an industrial area. One guy who was a bit of a loose cannon, his planes held together with bailing wire and bubble gum, actually crashed into another flyers Toyota Pick up, and did a ton of damage. The guy who owned the truck, well he only had liability coverage, so needless to say things got really ugly, and things went to court. The pilot who crashed, was held liable for lost wages, pain and suffering etc in the end, not sure he has it paid off all these years later either as the judgment went 6 figures. As others have stated, if you tally your insurance coverage, magazine subscription, lobbyist for congress, attorneys to battle with FAA and FCC when it comes to infringing on your rights, then $60 a year is pretty paltry. That equates to $5 a month...I am afraid you drop more than that in one trip through a drive through food or coffee establishment, so tell me again why you WOULDN'T Join again?
Old 12-11-2014, 05:21 PM
GRandolph

Yes!
Old 12-11-2014, 05:29 PM
cmoore806
My Feedback: (82)

yeah, auto insurance is a ripoff until you get rearended by an uninsured driver.....
bad thread.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:39 PM
Rvander
My Feedback: (81)

Great.. Why come up with a pole like this NOW?? While all the hype is up on modeling as a whole.. Lets post segregated views for all to use later.. I believe in a body to support and lobby for the hobby.. If you don't so be it.. But what good is opening positive and negative comments out on a forum?? So that FAA or media can pick parts to make statements damaging the hobby?? How about talking about and taking a poll on how much the hobby means to you?? What the hobby has done.. Post positive!!! Lets unite in the love of the hobby.. Giving no one fuel to pick on the negatives.. I would think we all enjoy it... In a world of measuring negative.. Lets try publishing the positives..
Old 12-11-2014, 06:20 PM
lonestoner

If you have ever had the chance to fly at the AMA in Muncie you will for sure see how important the AMA really is and how beautiful the grounds and airstrips are there.i flew there every other sun this past summer and it is world class ,the nats are there every summer to.go check it out.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:22 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by lonestoner
If you have ever had the chance to fly at the AMA in Muncie you will for sure see how important the AMA really is and how beautiful the grounds and airstrips are there.i flew there every other sun this past summer and it is world class ,the nats are there every summer to.go check it out.
Good point! It is so awesome that we fund such a place that a few can take advantage of. Sounds like heaven.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:44 PM
Steve Graham

Yea, and I agree the question is rhetorical therefore flawed.

The thing that I find irrational about so many of these AMA threads where a proud few get on and bash the $**T out of the organization is that they use general terms like "they" when describing the AMA. These people fail to understand the communal nature of the organization. It does not exist without individual effort and sacrifice on the part of the membership. The gains the hobby has enjoyed over it's history have often come as the result of individuals working to better their fellow hobbyists lives without ever even knowing the vast majority of them. These people have often disagreed about the best course forward but the best of the bunch have always done so with a mind more towards the common interests of ALL RC aviators and less so the personal ambitions of always being right or even the loudest voice in the room. For many of our current crop of malcontents it's easier to sit on the sidelines and throw grenades into the small groups of people working on their behalf without ever rolling up their own sleeves and raising a finger to help out. There also seems to be a large contingent of people who are just waiting for a political defeat to be handed down to the hobby so they can run around like a bunch of four year olds yelling "I told you so!" In the aftermath of such a spectre one thing is guaranteed, the people working on our behalf will still be there fighting to make things better with little respect for their efforts.

Ask not what your organization can do for you but what you can do for your organization.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:47 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

"It is so awesome that we fund such a place that a few can take advantage of. Sounds like heaven."

And if they put it on the East coast...or the West coast.....or even "here" then many couldn't visit it either. I'm waiting for the Washington Monument to come here so I can visit it (sarcastically speaking)....you can't please everyone. I miss the Toledo Show because it is now about 2000 miles away (sniff, sniff)....ever been to that? If not your loss! And what about Oshkosh, been there?

What I'm trying to say is that "I" can't have everything right here (although I sure would like that)......but I live in a slice of heaven anyway

Last edited by tailskid; 12-11-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:16 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Good posts. We should never forget to give thanks to and praise the AMA for they maketh me to fly over green pastures...
Old 12-11-2014, 09:06 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Renegade
Answer to "poll" question. NO. Throwing fuel on the conversational fire: How is the AMA similar to Auto Insurance? Where are the claim forms to get my crashed vehicles repaired? I am not a former nor current member of AMA , I have no idea what the benefits of membership would bring to me as an individual. I've just assumed the membership requirement at private club fields is to CYA of the property owners. .......so..... You can't fly here without insurance? Like you can't drive a car in the state michigan without car insurance, why then do I pay for as a separate item of coverage for uninsured motorists and under insured motorists? I'm buying my insurance to cover or protect myself from those don't follow the rules(law)

Renegade: If U have and plan to never to be an AMA member, Just where do U manage to find to Fly... Are U one of these LONERS that fly innew subdivision with out houses yet. Parking lots for large companys on Sunday. School yard. Again the &58 buks is well worth the price of the ticket to just fly with others of like interests. It does help to leave your feelings at home. Or better yet have thick skin... no mater how U fly a club can be a great place to hang out. U really should try it some time.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:20 PM
pahtreek
My Feedback: (1)

Definitely Yes, but why cant dues be less, say $20 a year?

I have a better poll. Who has ever received, or known someone who received a settlement from the AMA? -not trying to be a hater, but I am 47 years old and have been paying my AMA dues since I was a junior at 13yrs old and never have heard of someone getting any money for an accident. Not that it never happens, but I doubt they pay out more than a million a year to member claims.
What's the AMA membership? 150,000 people? Times $58 per person a year? Thats 8.5 million dollars a year. That's roughly 289 million dollars taken in since I became an AMA member. I know they have a lot of lawyer fees and a new building, but damn...
Before everyone starts jumping on me and beating me with sticks, this is just my opinion. Please provide facts if you disagree.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:21 AM
lonestoner

Well they do give you a nice green card and a sticker ,
Old 12-12-2014, 03:47 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

This subject always seems to spur a lot of sensitivity with posters. Don't perceive this incorrectly pertaining to my thoughts on do I desire the AMA? The answer is an astute absolutely not. Do I need the AMA? It is not a choice I have really unless I chose not to fly or buy land and build my own RC field. In my circle I have to have the AMA in order to fly at local clubs as they do not let you fly without being a member. It sort of grates on me, but that is the nature of the beast. If I could buy land and build my own RC field then it is highly likely that I would say a hearty "goodbye" to the AMA and save the annual fees.

It is like the mafia, if you are the bigger gang leader or only kid on the block then you control it all. Right or wrong, like it or not, it is the fact of the matter. Why any of us would deny that I would be curious as to the reasoning behind it. With the AMA it is not a matter of good or bad as far as I am concerned. Do they do good things? I am sure and probably have a fair amount of perks to go along with it. I enjoy reading the magazine at times and also appreciate the insurance, yet why are there not other orgs that do this same thing so the AMA has healthy competition? Aren't they pretty much the only horse in the race?
Old 12-12-2014, 05:28 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by pahtreek
Definitely Yes, but why cant dues be less, say $20 a year?

I have a better poll. Who has ever received, or known someone who received a settlement from the AMA? -not trying to be a hater, but I am 47 years old and have been paying my AMA dues since I was a junior at 13yrs old and never have heard of someone getting any money for an accident. Not that it never happens, but I doubt they pay out more than a million a year to member claims.
What's the AMA membership? 150,000 people? Times $58 per person a year? Thats 8.5 million dollars a year. That's roughly 289 million dollars taken in since I became an AMA member. I know they have a lot of lawyer fees and a new building, but damn...
Before everyone starts jumping on me and beating me with sticks, this is just my opinion. Please provide facts if you disagree.
I know of 3 people that received compensation ... One for an EYE injury and 2 reimbursed fo stolen aircraft.
"have been paying my AMA dues since I was a junior at 13yrs old"
Just consider your self Lucky that U never had to use the AMA Insurance. Why do U pay Car Insurance U are most likely paying way too much for auto insurance but be glad U are paying for the bad drivers. I'd rather be accident free than have to collect for an injury to my self or heaven for bid anyone else. U don't have to belong to the AMA to fly in this country ... (Not yet anyway). Wait till the FAA/NTSB get's done with the FAR's concerning DRONES. You'll be glad to pay just $58 bucks a year to have the privilege to fly only on the RESERVATION.

It's been tried ... Remember the SPORT FLYERS Just $25 for just plain vanilla secondary liability insurance ... No mag, No Nats No Primary Insurance for the land owner. No one to call when U need help because your going to loose your field, or help aquiering a field. ... Guess what they didn't last long did they.
$58 bucks is cheep for what U get ... ask your Insurance man what $2 million dollars of secondary liability insurance would caos per year. Just be grateful we have the AMA.
Let me ask Why do U bother to pay yearly club dues ... U don't need thay U can just go fly in a school yard or empty parking lot. May be fly your Quad near an airport. JMHO.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:46 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by HoundDog
I know of 3 people that received compensation ... One for an EYE injury and 2 reimbursed fo stolen aircraft.
"have been paying my AMA dues since I was a junior at 13yrs old"
Just consider your self Lucky that U never had to use the AMA Insurance. Why do U pay Car Insurance U are most likely paying way too much for auto insurance but be glad U are paying for the bad drivers. I'd rather be accident free than have to collect for an injury to my self or heaven for bid anyone else. U don't have to belong to the AMA to fly in this country ... (Not yet anyway). Wait till the FAA/NTSB get's done with the FAR's concerning DRONES. You'll be glad to pay just $58 bucks a year to have the privilege to fly only on the RESERVATION.

It's been tried ... Remember the SPORT FLYERS Just $25 for just plain vanilla secondary liability insurance ... No mag, No Nats No Primary Insurance for the land owner. No one to call when U need help because your going to loose your field, or help aquiering a field. ... Guess what they didn't last long did they.
$58 bucks is cheep for what U get ... ask your Insurance man what $2 million dollars of secondary liability insurance would caos per year. Just be grateful we have the AMA.
Let me ask Why do U bother to pay yearly club dues ... U don't need thay U can just go fly in a school yard or empty parking lot. May be fly your Quad near an airport. JMHO.
Sport Flyers was primary insurance. AMA insurance is secondary to ANY other insurance you have. As far as just how good it is who knows until you try and collect ( which is true of any insurance). I know of only one claim here a guy accidentally flew his plane into a another s truck the claim was denied and not paid by the AMA but taken care of by the truck owners auto insurance. The AMA is not in the insurance business but is there to look at promoting the hobby that's it. Without the hobby they would not exist. The next few years will be the true test of just how good the AMA is with all this "drone" stuff happening.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 12-12-2014 at 05:50 AM.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:44 AM
bradpaul

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Sport Flyers was primary insurance. AMA insurance is secondary to ANY other insurance you have. As far as just how good it is who knows until you try and collect ( which is true of any insurance). I know of only one claim here a guy accidentally flew his plane into a another s truck the claim was denied and not paid by the AMA but taken care of by the truck owners auto insurance. The AMA is not in the insurance business but is there to look at promoting the hobby that's it. Without the hobby they would not exist. The next few years will be the true test of just how good the AMA is with all this "drone" stuff happening.

Mike
I agree with HC, why should I need to worry about weather or not the other pilots at the field have insurance IF THEY INJURE ME, or damage my car? Sure I have insurance that would cover that, but it has deductibles and why risk my premiums going up because of the fault of someone else.

At a flying field that requires AMA membership I know insurance is in place for damages caused by others.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:45 AM
chopper52

Originally Posted by bw5493
As a life member and as a Associate VP, You are darn right we need AMA. Having flown at chartered clubs all over the US, Canada, and Germany, I can tell you we are very fortunate to have this coverage. One accident will wipe out all of your life savings, lose your house, and really change your life for the worse. In California, I flew with a group of non AMA folks that shunned all things organized off a road in an industrial area. One guy who was a bit of a loose cannon, his planes held together with bailing wire and bubble gum, actually crashed into another flyers Toyota Pick up, and did a ton of damage. The guy who owned the truck, well he only had liability coverage, so needless to say things got really ugly, and things went to court. The pilot who crashed, was held liable for lost wages, pain and suffering etc in the end, not sure he has it paid off all these years later either as the judgment went 6 figures. As others have stated, if you tally your insurance coverage, magazine subscription, lobbyist for congress, attorneys to battle with FAA and FCC when it comes to infringing on your rights, then $60 a year is pretty paltry. That equates to $5 a month...I am afraid you drop more than that in one trip through a drive through food or coffee establishment, so tell me again why you WOULDN'T Join again?
+1 Try to get your homeowner insurance to pay for rc damage They will laugh in your Face!!
Old 12-12-2014, 07:10 AM
rcmichael

The question is non sequitor. The AMA is in place and they deal with those people who have the power to stop ALL rc flying.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:32 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by chopper52
+1 Try to get your homeowner insurance to pay for rc damage They will laugh in your Face!!
I went to my Insurance agent (did not call) face to face and asked if I was covered for liability for my models off my property. I made him explain it and show me it in writing. I also checked on my Home owners and said" Charlie I want a policy where U pay to fix it like it was be for the local fire department made a swimming pool out of my basement" He showed where it that is the policy.
So it might behoove every one to double check with their insurance guy (company).

if U have enough assets U don't even have to have auto insurance But people that have that kind of wealth are the first to buy Insurance to cover every thing.

As not belonig to the AMA I really believe the AMA should refuse them membership. Let them go fly at some dump site or industrial park
Old 12-12-2014, 10:41 AM
Luchnia

Originally Posted by HoundDog
I went to my Insurance agent (did not call) face to face and asked if I was covered for liability for my models off my property. I made him explain it and show me it in writing. I also checked on my Home owners and said" Charlie I want a policy where U pay to fix it like it was be for the local fire department made a swimming pool out of my basement" He showed where it that is the policy.
So it might behoove every one to double check with their insurance guy (company).

if U have enough assets U don't even have to have auto insurance But people that have that kind of wealth are the first to buy Insurance to cover every thing.

As not belonig to the AMA I really believe the AMA should refuse them membership. Let them go fly at some dump site or industrial park
It is important to check with an agent. A lot of good home policies have a rider that covers additional items. My policy will pay 25000 on anything I have even stuff I have in my sheds, trailers, outside my house, etc.. I rarely ever use it, but I have covered this with my agent several times. The only thing I would do is make sure I have accurate records and photos of what I want to make sure is covered so there is no question when something happens.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:19 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chopper52
That may well be true. Like when "IKE" went through SE TX, a number of rather cheap insurance providers folded up, or declared bankruptcy. There are many concrete slabs there with no buildings. Now my bet is that many of the military, ex-military, etc. have USAA insurance. I do and have had since I was an Aviation Cadet back in 1955. USAA was the prima facie of insurance companies, then especially for Officers and Cadets of the military. A few years ago, I purchased a rather nice boat. I requested insurance through USAA. The policy came from PROGRESSIVE. I questioned USAA. I was informed that Progressive was now a subsidiary of USAA. Then I looked up for who owned Progressive. None other than George Sorros. Now all people in any part of the military can be a member of USAA. Insurance costs are higher and higher each year.
Still it is less $$ than most. If I run over a big log in the lake, will George provide any help, or will he smile and think another Conservative loses money? One never knows just what and who is running the show. How good is AMA insurance, I know not, but if the AMAers knew how to vote, I would be telling you about AMA's position very soon.
There is always a better way, yet it seems that you, the AMA populace, knows NOT how to maintain AMA. I still do USAA, but I dare say my eyes are now much better focused on just what is going on there.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:50 PM
MinnSpin
My Feedback: (40)

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
Good point! It is so awesome that we fund such a place that a few can take advantage of. Sounds like heaven.
Unlike the Muncie Garden of Flight, heaven isn't funded by you or I. The price paid for acceptance is not measured by money or popularity. One should rather be thought a fool for believing in Jesus and find out heaven isn't real than to not believe in Jesus to find out that it is.

As to saving your bacon when "the prop hits the fan," (so to speak), having AMA's umbrella liability policy should cover the gaps created by your homeowner's policy. Perhaps a personal umbrella policy would accomplish the same thing? One things for sure.....if you're going to be stupid, you better be tough!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.