Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Do we really need the ama, or is it just like auto insurance...another ripoff?

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: Do we really need the AMA???
YEA
82.91%
NAY
17.09%
Voters: 316. You may not vote on this poll

Do we really need the ama, or is it just like auto insurance...another ripoff?

Old 12-12-2014, 02:52 PM
cj_rumley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Luchnia
It is important to check with an agent. A lot of good home policies have a rider that covers additional items. My policy will pay 25000 on anything I have even stuff I have in my sheds, trailers, outside my house, etc.. I rarely ever use it, but I have covered this with my agent several times. The only thing I would do is make sure I have accurate records and photos of what I want to make sure is covered so there is no question when something happens.
Agreed that it is important to check what your insurance covers, whether by reading the policy (preferred, but tedious) or asking the agent. My HO and PUP providers do cover my modeling activities as do most providers that conform to insurance industry standards, and with fewer exclusions than what is provided by AMA. For example, they will cover damage/destruction of another modeler's airplane by mine if I am liable. AMA won't.
Just FWIW, according to AMA most liability claims are paid by members' other insurance, leaving AMA off the hook. For the last year reported (insurance summary in AMA docs online) AMA shelled out a total of about $50K for such claims. This was all paid directly from AMA coffers, as the real insurance company doesn't pay anything until the self-insurance reserve (SIR) of $250K per each claim is exhausted, obviously not possible as even the total for all claims didn't approach that figure.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:11 PM
Maximilionalpha

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techno...ers/ar-BBgIo1k

Not a good sign! Not a good sign, at all! We must take back our freedoms, from this oppressive government.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:34 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by Maximilionalpha

Not a good sign! Not a good sign, at all! We must take back our freedoms, from this oppressive government.
Well, beside the fact that the reporter got just about everything wrong, I fell the compulsion to ask, what oppressive government?
Old 12-12-2014, 07:56 PM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by Maximilionalpha

Well, according to the article we can't just take our freedoms back, we will have to buy them back from a private charitable organization that this oppressive government is going to sell them to. Here's a clue: It's not news, it's an infomercial. The MSN reporter got punked.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:33 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A Little In site Into the FAA Leader ship and the Rank and File Controllers.
also from another Forum:

Funny U say that about the FAA. A very good RCer x Airline Pilot has a daugher that is an Air Traffic Controller in SE Wisconsin. I asked her if they were having any problems with so called Drones. Her comment was t fold. 1. that they were concerned with the NEW TFR/notam about not allowing DRONES to Fly with in 3 miles of a Stadium that seets more than 33,000 for 2 hours before to 2 hours after a secluded event. 2. They have had several people call and ask about the tower notification as to being able to fly with in a certian distance. Her answer was that he would have to have to have a WRITTEN Agreement with the facility, and he would have to notify them befor he started flying and when he finished flying. That way they can warn full scale about the RC activity or rout them around the ares. With that she said the Rank and File controllers She Said are much too busy with controlling traffic and other duities to worry about model airplanes.
Then she said they have been advised / required to follow up on any reports from pilots about Drones. She also stated that the Milwaukee FSDO has been out this summer sever week ends because a flight instructor had filed a report that he had seen a couple of RC models under one of the final approach courses. She said the FSDO people were there to catch whom was flying there. She also said that the tower had known of the RC activity for years but no one had ever made a complaint before.

So take it for what it is ... But Bad Mouthing the FAA can be anything but helpful and probably even very detrimental to our hobby. The people at the FAA are not Stupid and U can bet they at least some one Reads things like these RCU Forums.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:43 AM
HoundDog

A couple of comments on bad mouthing the FAA/AMA Be careful of what U say in public forums like those you see here on RCU and other places. The day may come when people are singled out for what they say in these forums. If I were in charge of an organization and a member kept Bad Mouthing and not offering any fixes or unwilling to serve I'd suggest they take back their $58 and go find someone else to blame. No one is making U belong to any particular CBO yet. Remember that cavioat is "YET" witch may change in the near feature. If you don't like a particular origination then why do you continue your membership? Just go it on your own or start your own neighborhood CBO.

Also do U realize how few AMA members know anything of the pending FAA Regs and don't even care. Just ask your fellow club members if they have ever particapited or even read any of these fourms. There are very few of us that Read them much less comment. We must be the smallest minority in this hobby/sport.

Last edited by HoundDog; 12-13-2014 at 05:54 AM.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:50 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by JohnShe
Well, beside the fact that the reporter got just about everything wrong, I fell the compulsion to ask, what oppressive government?
News media people are the DUMBEST people in any profession ... Just to day on CBS Saturday morning news the news (READER) caster stated that after an air liner had a bird strike that the pilot made a 911 call. It's a MAYDAY. At least he didn't say it almost "NOSE DIVED" when the Bird at 15 MPH hit the airplane going 180 KTS.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:13 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by HoundDog
A couple of comments on bad mouthing the FAA/AMA Be careful of what U say in public forums like those you see here on RCU and other places. The day may come when people are singled out for what they say in these forums. If I were in charge of an organization and a member kept Bad Mouthing and not offering any fixes or unwilling to serve I'd suggest they take back their $58 and go find someone else to blame. No one is making U belong to any particular CBO yet. Remember that cavioat is "YET" witch may change in the near feature. If you don't like a particular origination then why do you continue your membership? Just go it on your own or start your own neighborhood CBO.

Also do U realize how few AMA members know anything of the pending FAA Regs and don't even care. Just ask your fellow club members if they have ever particapited or even read any of these fourms. There are very few of us that Read them much less comment. We must be the smallest minority in this hobby/sport.
Well, there you have it...Must belong to Special Interest Groups...and watch your mouth...then everything is hunky-dory.

Its so depressing to see how all the sniveling turd heads are ruining our once great country.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:43 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
Well, there you have it...Must belong to Special Interest Groups...
and watch your mouth...then everything is hunky-dory.

Its so depressing to see how all the sniveling turd heads are ruining our once great country.
Cranky:
I don't see U doing anything but whining, get with it, participate and change it if U don't like it otherwise Well If I said what I am thinking I'd be sanctioned for another 4 months. Again if U don't like the origination why doU insist on belonging Save your self a few bucks and quit the AMA and any clubs U might be in andgo fly DRONES in the PARK.

Sorry for U, for the way U feel about the World and the way it is.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:10 AM
littlecrankshaf

Cranky:
I don't see U doing anything but whining, get with it, participate and change it if U don't like it otherwise Well If I said what I am thinking I'd be sanctioned for another 4 months. Again if U don't like the origination why doU insist on belonging Save your self a few bucks and quit the AMA and any clubs U might be in andgo fly DRONES in the PARK.

Sorry for U, for the way U feel about the World and the way it is.
"Well If I said what I am thinking I'd be sanctioned for another 4 months."
What do you mean by "sanctioned"? 4 months??
Old 12-13-2014, 08:31 AM
Johnny_Zero
My Feedback: (44)

Yes.....I fly at a field on a state park. I don't belong to the club (really bad politics) but you don't have to have club membership. We need insurance for everything and the AMA covers me for next to nothing. We need the AMA.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:01 AM
HoundDog

"Well If I said what I am thinking I'd be sanctioned for another 4 months."
What do you mean by "sanctioned"? 4 months??
If U let more than a couple of people know about a swap meet U are SPAMMING and that is a no no on RCU
Old 12-13-2014, 09:37 AM
littlecrankshaf

If U let more than a couple of people know about a swap meet U are SPAMMING and that is a no no on RCU
I am not sure what you are saying...can you explain?
Old 12-13-2014, 10:19 AM
HoundDog

I am not sure what you are saying...can you explain?
Just send RCU members in SE wisconsin that there is a swap meet next week and one guy complained that I was spamming him.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:40 AM
littlecrankshaf

Just send RCU members in SE wisconsin that there is a swap meet next week and one guy complained that I was spamming him.
Hard to understand someone reporting something like that but still don't understand why you say sanctioned for another four months though.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:05 AM
HoundDog

Hard to understand someone reporting something like that but still don't understand why you say sanctioned for another four months though.
Because they took away all of my privileges - I wasn't even allowed to log in. This was the winter of 2010-11
Old 12-13-2014, 11:46 AM
littlecrankshaf

Because they took away all of my privileges - I wasn't even allowed to log in. This was the winter of 2010-11
Wow! I'd hate it if an organization could ever have that type of control over our hobby...
Old 12-13-2014, 12:42 PM
HoundDog

Wow! I'd hate it if an organization could ever have that type of control over our hobby...
Read the RCU Rules some time......
Old 12-13-2014, 01:19 PM
FASTCRASHER

YEA AND NAY.... YEA because when i was in a club (NIMA) i had a large new plane with a new 35cc eng. on it , on its 4th lap of breaking the eng. in as i increaced the eng. speed the tail flew off taking the battery with it ....as the tail fluttered to earth the, eng went full throttle and the wing, eng., and body flew in to a telephone pole by some buildings near our field, and took out the power for those buildings, ... as me and a few members were picking up peaces , the boss of building closest to were i crashed asked to see the owner of the plane , so when i got there he told me his building made spring steel and i had shut off all there power to there furnus so now he had bad product and a whole crew of ppl to pay that cant work... so he was asking how i was going to pay for his over million dollar loss , lucky the owner of the land that we flew in owned the property of there buildings also and had them clam it as a nacheral disaster like lighting had hit there pole , but AMA was ready to cover this problem for me if that didnt work!

NAY ... now i fly electric in an old baseball field by myself theres nothing around so i dont see the point of putting the money in it or paying for dues at a field with new electrics and foam planes you can fly just about anywhere!
Old 12-13-2014, 01:28 PM
HoundDog

NAY ... now i fly electric in an old baseball field by myself theres nothing around so i dont see the point of putting the money in it or paying for dues at a field with new electrics and foam planes you can fly just about anywhere![/QUOTE]

Right up till the time U hit some kid on his bike in the head. HOPE your Home owners is up to date and it'll cover model flying.

Just saying never can have too much insurance in this country ... Unless it Life Insurance Just going make your Widows next husband a lot richer.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:11 PM
Uncas
My Feedback: (1)

To bring this hobby to the level where it is today - you need the AMA.
The AMA has set the bar pretty high.

If all you do is fly a little electric on an empty ball field then no, you probably do not need it.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:31 PM
mackeyjones

Originally Posted by Uncas

If all you do is fly a little electric on an empty ball field then no, you probably do not need it.
They do, they just dont think they do.
Old 12-14-2014, 03:16 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Asking if you need the AMA, or are they a ripoff, is like asking if you need the IRS, except for the fact that the AMA is a non-profit right? How many other 501 orgs does everyone belong to? The poll brings to mind many thoughts. If another agency cropped up like AMA would we all join because they are doing good for RC as a whole like the AMA? What really dictates the reason most have joined AMA?

Many of these quasi-gov agencies like the AMA try to entwine themselves within various groups and agencies so that no one can un-twine them. It is a matter of how we as a 501 org can be "important" and carry our board's objective forward. Some have said that a long time ago the AMA stop following their own mission statement. That I do not know to be factual, just hope it isn't or they should change their mission statement to reflect what they actually do.

Once they (non-profit quasi gov agencies) get really hooked in it is almost impossible to ever get the tentacles out. Again I am neither an AMA hater or liker just posting food for thought. There are many orgs you could put in place of the initials AMA as it would follow the same reasoning.

I joined because I cannot fly around here without being a member because that was the rules of the area RC clubs plain and simple - nothing more, nothing less.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:12 AM
chopper52

Default Do we realy need AMA

Originally Posted by Johnny_Zero
Yes.....I fly at a field on a state park. I don't belong to the club (really bad politics) but you don't have to have club membership. We need insurance for everything and the AMA covers me for next to nothing. We need the AMA.
Yes at times (Bad Politics) But what you state in your comment : You fly at a state park but not in a club? That park field better be (Sanctioned) by AMA..If not
You are not covered by AMA Insurance.....Read AMA Rules.....
Old 12-14-2014, 06:19 AM
HoundDog

If U can't afford $58 / $48 seniors or FREE for any one under 18 then U don't belong in this Hobby / Sport. If U are so CHEAP that AMA dues are too much for U then go get an R/C Sail Boat a Lawn chair and a 6 Pac. Then when U Sober Up (U can't / Should not Drink and fly) U can wonder where the Boat went. Guess what, There's another Advantage to R'C Boats, when U do find the boat U won't need a TRASH bag to take it home.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.