Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Do we really need the ama, or is it just like auto insurance...another ripoff?

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: Do we really need the AMA???
YEA
82.91%
NAY
17.09%
Voters: 316. You may not vote on this poll

Do we really need the ama, or is it just like auto insurance...another ripoff?

Old 12-16-2014, 07:50 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dwmcmike:
The best statement in the whole forum ,,, and I quote .
" For those who don't want to participate or get involved with the AMA, fine... don't"

I'd add if U R not part of the solution U R the Problem.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:08 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by franklin_m
I'll probably start a firestorm here, but actually I'd rather see more of my AMA $$ go directly to flying site assistance & insurance, with dramatic cuts to competitions, the Muncie facility, the museum, and the magazine. If AMA wants to promote flying, they need to have more places to fly - it's pretty simple. How many new members are going to join AMA due to the Muncie facility? How many new members will join because of the museum? How may will join because of the magazine?
How many people Join the YMCA with a Pool but don't swim. Or go to a hotel with a SPA but again don't use it. How many people join the AMA and their local R/C club with an excellent field but don't fly but a couple of times a season. The answer is it's there for the enjoyment of all if U choose to participate. But no one is twisting any arms to join in on the things that are provided. If U don't like to compete then don't but don't say others shouldn't have the opportunity to do so because you don't think these things should not be funded because U don't do them. I'm Just saying It's what things have evolved too and most people that join an origination don't realize or understand an origination before they join, it only after they join that they realize all the extras that come with being Part of an organization. Again how many people do U think go to the AMA Museum and do decide to get into this Hobby sport? Or young kids that go the USAF museum end up joining the USAF? We'll never know but it's there for every one to enjoy just the same.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:47 AM
cj_rumley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Just were did you get we exclude non AMA members? You mention being threatened by the AMA for accepting SFA we accepted SFA and were never threaten in any way. If they were alive we would still welcome them and in the future we would accept any form of insurance with the provision that it was at least the same coverage. I don't see that happening but it could I guess. Were a very open minded bunch and don't paln on changing. Most people just opt for the AMA as it's the most convenient. I've not yet met a potential new member who have told me they would not meet the insurance requirement. I do think a good homeowners would be more effective as far as insurance goes.

Now lets look at the AMA document you posted does not state anywhere it it that you cannot what it says is you "should not" there is a big difference. Should not is not can not. Should is a "suggestion". Just like there suggestions as far as field lay out they are just that suggestions nothing more. Why does it not say "can not" or "does not allow"rather than "should"?

Mike
You mentioned people from a couple of groups that your club allows to fly at your site and I, perhaps mistakenly, took that to be the summation of non-members you accept and others are excluded. Even if it were so, I find it commendable that at least some are welcomed. Not so at any AMA chartered club I know of in SoCal. You said "I also don't see why the county would exclude flyers who could provide insurance coverage unless your club just did not want them and the SFA there." Could be describing the clubs I'm in or aware of are just pointing the finger at AMA when asked why they tell people you can't fly here without AMA.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:38 AM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

Originally Posted by Maximilionalpha
This is more of a poll, than a question...If you're for the AMA, type 'Yea'. Against...type 'Nay'
So you think auto insurance is a ripoff? drive without it and see how you make out
Old 12-16-2014, 11:18 AM
N410DC

Originally Posted by franklin_m
It does seem like a lot to me when AMA insurance "is 'excess' to any other applicable coverage, such as homeowner's", and "Reimburses medical expenses only after submission to any other health plan, including Medicare," and loss or theft that is also in "excess' to any other applicable coverage, such as homeowner’s."

(http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/I...aryMembers.pdf).
Originally Posted by porcia83
it's an excess policy, and even at $58.00 not a bad deal. But it's not really 58.00 for the coverage, that's the amount to renew AMA (even less in some cases). Lets say that even half of that goes for insurance (doubtful, but give me at least this one), is $29.00 that much? No. And how many members don't carry any underlying insurance at all? Plenty!
That's a good point, though the AMA insurance is worth its weight in gold if a "primary" insurance company denies a claim. Would my homeowner's insurance pay a $1,000,00 claim if I killed someone with my plane while flying from property that I do not own? I don't know. However, I do know that either my homeowners policy or the AMA policy would cover me. That security is worth $0.16 per day, IMO.

Remember, when a claim is filed one of the first things the insurance company does is to figure out a way to avoid paying for the claim. This is why an insurance contract is packed full of exclusions. For this reason, secondary insurance has some value. As I said, it's value is zero, unless you file a claim.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:14 PM
Maximilionalpha

Originally Posted by HoundDog

Max and Kranky and a few others should just turn your 2015 AMA card and ask for your dues back ... if U hate the AMA that much Don't be so Hypocritical .. The AMA doesn't need your, I would guess, $48 bucks.
Now...now! What's the deal with the name calling? Short on grammar?
Old 12-16-2014, 01:06 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by N410DC
That's a good point, though the AMA insurance is worth its weight in gold if a "primary" insurance company denies a claim. Would my homeowner's insurance pay a $1,000,00 claim if I killed someone with my plane while flying from property that I do not own? I don't know. However, I do know that either my homeowners policy or the AMA policy would cover me. That security is worth $0.16 per day, IMO.

Remember, when a claim is filed one of the first things the insurance company does is to figure out a way to avoid paying for the claim. This is why an insurance contract is packed full of exclusions. For this reason, secondary insurance has some value. As I said, it's value is zero, unless you file a claim.
Where do people come up with this stuff? It's so impossibly wrong it's.....laughable and sad at the same time. Unless it was a joke, in that instance, BOOM...hilarious! otherwise is a trite and empty stereotype. There isn't an insurance company out there that operates like that, absolutely universally wrong on every level. First, it would be impossible to keep customers, second, they would be sued into extinction, that is if there was anything left after the govt had seized their assets.

A policies real value is just knowing it's there, the practical value is when it's triggered and pays a claim, or the defense of one (which is often times more costly then the claim itself).
Old 12-16-2014, 01:15 PM
bradpaul

Originally Posted by porcia83
Where do people come up with this stuff? It's so impossibly wrong it's.....laughable and sad at the same time. Unless it was a joke, in that instance, BOOM...hilarious! otherwise is a trite and empty stereotype. There isn't an insurance company out there that operates like that, absolutely universally wrong on every level. First, it would be impossible to keep customers, second, they would be sued into extinction, that is if there was anything left after the govt had seized their assets.

A policies real value is just knowing it's there, the practical value is when it's triggered and pays a claim, or the defense of one (which is often times more costly then the claim itself).
Tom, while I basically agree with your post, the experience many homeowners had after the hurricanes a few years ago in FL, Hurricane Katrina and Superstorm Sandy left a different perception in the public.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:30 PM
porcia83
Banned

And many of the same policies holders were happy with their claims, of course there will be one offs. Everyone has a personal insurance related horror story, or has heard one from a friend/family/neighbor. Not to turn the discussion into insurance (although the OP did note that as part of his question), there is simply no insurance company who's first priority when getting notice of claim is to look for a way to deny it. That's pure fiction. Keep in mind every last one of them is regulated by the states they do business in, and the majority of them are publicly held companies who answer to shareholders.

Come to think of it, I do recall one company that operated that way. Great Benefit Insurance Company, run by Roy Sheider. He ran that company horribly, and Matt Damon and Danny Devito took him to ask for it too!
Old 12-16-2014, 01:45 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Originally Posted by Maximilionalpha
Now...now! What's the deal with the name calling? Short on grammar?
Are we not kicking the dead horse here?. It's dead, no matter what you do, it's still dead. Arguing about Insurance Policy's from one company to another, to me doe's not make any sense. Hey, if you are to cheap to join the AMA, that's fine, just don't complain about it.
I'ts your choice, but you may be paying more than you think without it.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:27 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by FLAPHappy
Are we not kicking the dead horse here?. It's dead, no matter what you do, it's still dead. Arguing about Insurance Policy's from one company to another, to me doe's not make any sense. Hey, if you are to cheap to join the AMA, that's fine, just don't complain about it.
I'ts your choice, but you may be paying more than you think without it.
Here's something almost as much fun lets debate about the AMA getting in bed with the quad/FPV crowd and see where that goes.............................................. .............................................

Mike
Old 12-17-2014, 08:30 AM
HoundDog

Here's something almost as much fun lets debate about the AMA getting in bed with the quad/FPV crowd and see where that goes.............................................. .............................................

Mike
What's wrong with Quads and FPV Just because you don't participate in it doesn't make it wrong ... Bet U don't approve of fomeys and 3D either and probably an electric hater. So many O'L Gezzers are so stuck in their ways the can't see that if it weren't for New Blood and New concepts and new forms of R/C this hobby would be so expensive and probably so regulated U could no longer afford to participate. We as a group (all of AMA) must stand as a united front against what is becoming a more BIG BROTHER country than ever dreamed of till a decade or two ago. If we as a group through any discipline under the buss so to speak we can expect that we will suffer the same consequences down the road. But then talking to the O'LD (Thinking) Buzzards. In this hobby. The problem I have with the AMA is that they tend to stay to their own members and not reach out to the Hobby shops selling things to people with out consideration of where or when these things may be used. Even when the Mail order and Hobby shops have the most to loose if the FAA (Government) decides that this Hobby/Sport we love so much is detrimental to the Health and well being of Full scale aviation we are all in deep DO DO.
We can end up like New Zealand where U must belong to their equivalent of our AMA and never fly anything over 400' and if flying with in 5 K of an air port no mater how big U must posses a special license. How U like that Here in the good O'l USofA.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:36 AM
HoundDog

Mike
What's wrong with Quads and FPV Just because you don't participate in it doesn't make it wrong ... Bet U don't approve of fomeys and 3D either and probably an electric hater. So many O'L Gezzers are so stuck in their ways the can't see that if it weren't for New Blood and New concepts and new forms of R/C this hobby would be so expensive and probably so regulated U could no longer afford to participate. We as a group (all of AMA) must stand as a united front against what is becoming a more BIG BROTHER country than ever dreamed of till a decade or two ago. If we as a group through any discipline under the buss so to speak we can expect that we will suffer the same consequences down the road. But then talking to the O'LD (Thinking) Buzzards. In this hobby. The problem I have with the AMA is that they tend to stay to their own members and not reach out to the Hobby shops selling things to people with out consideration of where or when these things may be used. Even when the Mail order and Hobby shops have the most to loose if the FAA (Government) decides that this Hobby/Sport we love so much is detrimental to the Health and well being of Full scale aviation we are all in deep DO DO.
We can end up like New Zealand where U must belong to their equivalent of our AMA and never fly anything over 400' and if flying with in 5 K of an air port no mater how big U must posses a special license. How U like that Here in the good O'l USofA.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:36 AM
JohnShe

Mike
I don't get your point. Quads and FPV are just new technology and, for some, a great way to have fun.

If there is any concern at all, it would be, for me at least, the AMA getting in bed with the commercial drone crowd. Let's debate that.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:38 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by JohnShe
I don't get your point. Quads and FPV are just new technology and, for some, a great way to have fun.

If there is any concern at all, it would be, for me at least, the AMA getting in bed with the commercial drone crowd. Let's debate that.
Start a thread on that and I'll participate...
Old 12-17-2014, 10:03 AM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

Originally Posted by JohnShe

Yes, it is great fun especially for the moron flying into a glideslope of a commercial airliner, it can be fun if you're responsible
Old 12-17-2014, 10:36 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
Start a thread on that and I'll participate...
Hey Folks there are few of us on RCU that would have something to say or argue on Pig Wrestling
if there were a PIG wrestling Forum ...
That is.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:58 AM
Renegade
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Hey Folks there are few of us on RCU that would have something to say or argue on Pig Wrestling
if there were a PIG wrestling Forum ...
That is.
Oh yeah, that brings back memories of the Building Trades. Arguing with the building inspectors was just like wrestling a greased pig, after a while you realize, the pig enjoys it! Hah!
Old 12-17-2014, 11:11 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by Renegade
Oh yeah, that brings back memories of the Building Trades. Arguing with the building inspectors was just like wrestling a greased pig, after a while you realize, the pig enjoys it! Hah!
O dang! You caught on to my hidden agenda!
Old 12-17-2014, 11:14 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by airega1
Yes, it is great fun especially for the moron flying into a glideslope of a commercial airliner, it can be fun if you're responsible
Well yes, but! It can be great fun when flown in a responsible manner. And, there is no followup punishment or fear of being caught. That is if you are smart enough to recognize that what you are doing is wrong when you do it irresponsibly. Such is the way of the sociopath.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:47 PM
CESSNA 421
My Feedback: (17)

Default Do we really need the AMA

I have been in the AMA since 1963 and at that time I was completely pro-AMA, however in the past 20 years if it wasn't for the insurance I wouldn't waste my time being a member. Other than the insurance the AMA is not worth cost of the dues.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:53 PM
porcia83
Banned

Why, what changed for you?
Old 12-17-2014, 01:35 PM
rcmiket

Well my post about quads/FPV and the AMA worked just as I thought it would.
HoundDog where did I say I hated quads and FPV? I find both as much fun as watching paint dry but don't hate them,nor do I hate foamy's,3D and helicopters,e;ectrics and EDF's I fly them all.. I do hate the irresponsible users that will eventually cause more regulation on our enjoyment of "tradition" RC.

Mike
Old 12-18-2014, 05:58 AM
LarsL

Rcmiket,

What does that mean, "Getting in bed with the quad/FPV crowd"? I know that the AMA supports responsible operation for that segment of the hobby, just as it does Giant Scale, Jet, Free Flight, Control Line, etc. In comparison, the NRA supports responsible gun ownership/use and deplores anyone that uses a gun irresponsibly, especially when innocents are harmed.

As for the original topic of this thread, someone else just said it... if you don't like the AMA and think it isn't needed, quit. Quit because then it will cease to exist for you. The AMA isn't going away, in fact it's numbers have risen over the past few years. The people that think we need it are set on that position, and the people that think that it is not needed are set on that position. In the 7 pages of this thread, I haven't seen anyone change their position.

Lars
Old 12-18-2014, 06:15 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by LarsL
Rcmiket,

What does that mean, "Getting in bed with the quad/FPV crowd"? I know that the AMA supports responsible operation for that segment of the hobby, just as it does Giant Scale, Jet, Free Flight, Control Line, etc. In comparison, the NRA supports responsible gun ownership/use and deplores anyone that uses a gun irresponsibly, especially when innocents are harmed.

As for the original topic of this thread, someone else just said it... if you don't like the AMA and think it isn't needed, quit. Quit because then it will cease to exist for you. The AMA isn't going away, in fact it's numbers have risen over the past few years. The people that think we need it are set on that position, and the people that think that it is not needed are set on that position. In the 7 pages of this thread, I haven't seen anyone change their position.

Lars
I never said "I don't like the AMA" I do disagree with some of the money being spent on the quad "problem" to the tune of $250,000.00 recently. Witch IMO is being pissed away due to the fact that AMA members are not the problem. Explain to me just how that money spent will "fix" the problem? Just went was the last time any other SIG the AMA represents got that kinda cash? At the end of the month the FAA will present it's new rules regarding RC operation. This should get interesting. I am and have been a AMA member for a long time and have every right to question the actions of a organization that I support.
I am not asking anyone to change their position or quit the AMA I would like people to pay attention to whats going on right now within OUR organization.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 12-18-2014 at 06:17 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.