Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Do we really need the ama, or is it just like auto insurance...another ripoff?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: Do we really need the AMA???
YEA
82.91%
NAY
17.09%
Voters: 316. You may not vote on this poll

Do we really need the ama, or is it just like auto insurance...another ripoff?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 08:17 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcmiket
I never said "I don't like the AMA" I do disagree with some of the money being spent on the quad "problem" to the tune of $250,000.00 recently. Witch IMO is being pissed away due to the fact that AMA members are not the problem. Explain to me just how that money spent will "fix" the problem? Just went was the last time any other SIG the AMA represents got that kinda cash? At the end of the month the FAA will present it's new rules regarding RC operation. This should get interesting. I am and have been a AMA member for a long time and have every right to question the actions of a organization that I support.
I am not asking anyone to change their position or quit the AMA I would like people to pay attention to whats going on right now within OUR organization.

Mike
Concur. And I'm told they just hired yet another PR firm, with our money.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:46 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Of course it's our money, where else would it come from?

Of course they will never please anyone. Do too much, not enough, spend too much money, not enough, hate the mag, love the mag, ads from the mag make the EC folks rich, get rid of the drones, embrace the drones,.....etc etc etc.

Seems like they will continue to do what they think is in the the membership's best interest. If folks don't like it, they can quit the AMA, or do more and get involved. If nothing drastic changes, I guess that means the majority of the membership is o/k with how their money is being spent.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:55 AM
cj_rumley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83

Of course they will never please anyone. Do too much, not enough, spend too much money, not enough, hate the mag, love the mag, ads from the mag make the EC folks rich, get rid of the drones, embrace the drones,.....etc etc etc.

Seems like they will continue to do what they think is in the the membership's best interest. If folks don't like it, they can quit the AMA, or do more and get involved. If nothing drastic changes, I guess that means the majority of the membership is o/k with how their money is being spent.
Yea, if ya don't like how the Crips protect the hood, move.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:11 AM
rcmiket

I don't get your logic. Since when is the quad, "drone" FPV crowd any more deserving than any other SIG in the AMA? I don't see them dropping a quarter of a million on any other group do you? As far as "if folks don't like it" that's ridiculous. If any member has a issue with spending they should contact the District V.P. I did and found out the D8 was one of the Districts that voted against the money being allocated. Any of you know how your district voted on it?

Mike
Old 12-18-2014, 10:33 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

I never said "I don't like the AMA" I do disagree with some of the money being spent on the quad "problem" to the tune of $250,000.00 recently. Witch IMO is being pissed away due to the fact that AMA members are not the problem. Explain to me just how that money spent will "fix" the problem? Just went was the last time any other SIG the AMA represents got that kinda cash? At the end of the month the FAA will present it's new rules regarding RC operation. This should get interesting. I am and have been a AMA member for a long time and have every right to question the actions of a organization that I support.
I am not asking anyone to change their position or quit the AMA I would like people to pay attention to whats going on right now within OUR organization.

Mike
Witch IMO is being pissed away due to the fact that AMA members are not the problem. Explain to me just how that money spent will "fix" the problem?

We as AMA and responsible RC flyers have to educate the public Mail order RC vendors and your Local Hobby shop that irresponsible use of QUADS and other things is going to damage or KILL all of the Hobby/Sport and along with that the whole Industry. Ask your fellow club members what they know about these fourms or anything at all about what is happening with this issue ... most have absolutely no Idea or even care.
Sorry for the font but I can't change it.
[h=1]FAA further delays ruling on drones till 2017[/h]
http://cinemaflight.com/faa-delays-ruling-drones-till-2017/
Old 12-18-2014, 10:38 AM
porcia83
Banned

I don't get your logic. Since when is the quad, "drone" FPV crowd any more deserving than any other SIG in the AMA? I don't see them dropping a quarter of a million on any other group do you? As far as "if folks don't like it" that's ridiculous. If any member has a issue with spending they should contact the District V.P. I did and found out the D8 was one of the Districts that voted against the money being allocated. Any of you know how your district voted on it?

Mike
Do you see any other SIGs interest being discussed by the federal govt? Any free flight issues being discussed by the FAA? Any giant scale planes caught buzzing buildings lately? Any sloap soarers interfering with landing approaches? Any control line folks causing any trouble at National parks? See where I'm going here?

The reason it's getting the AMA's attention, is because it has a direct affect on this hobby, and how it might be regulated going forward. The FPV capacity of aircraft, coupled with the reckless operation of same, has warranted this level of involvement and funds I would guess.

Also, you took something I said out of context, and noted it was "ridiculous", and ironically did exactly what I suggested in the FULL sentence. You "did more to get involved". You contacted your District V.P. That doesn't seem so ridiculous does it?
Old 12-18-2014, 10:41 AM
porcia83
Banned

I would also add...perhaps it's not just the currect AMA membership that's of issue, it's might just be the new members coming into the hobby, brought in by this type of tech and flying? Just my guess. And of course, how is it ever bad to try to create or least advocate for safe flying rules/regs?
Old 12-18-2014, 11:12 AM
bradpaul

Just ponder this................................ If what Rich Hansen has stated that be subject to the SEC 336 exemption you MUST be a member of the AMA then there is the real possibility that very shortly the number of FPV pilots that are AMA members will exceed the number of "traditional RC" pilots........................ Now why do some not see that the AMA knows exactly what they are doing?
Old 12-18-2014, 11:13 AM
cj_rumley

Mike
Yes, my DVP voted against it. And FWIW, the "drone FPV crowd" targeted for AMA's largess (and the $250K is just for starters) isn't an AMA SIG at all, but rather sUAS interests outside of AMA that can't/won't operate within AMA rules for recreational FPV. Not modelers, not AMA members, but rather a 'target market' for an EC/mgmnt staff majority obsessed with revenue generation first and foremost, far ahead of whatever is in second place.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:33 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by bradpaul
Just ponder this................................ If what Rich Hansen has stated that be subject to the SEC 336 exemption you MUST be a member of the AMA then there is the real possibility that very shortly the number of FPV pilots that are AMA members will exceed the number of "traditional RC" pilots........................ Now why do some not see that the AMA knows exactly what they are doing?
Two things. Rich Hanson is dead wrong. Nobody is going to join the AMA just because Rich Hanson says you have to.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:53 AM
bradpaul

Originally Posted by JohnShe
Two things. Rich Hanson is dead wrong. Nobody is going to join the AMA just because Rich Hanson says you have to.
Slight modification............. Must be a member of a "nationwide CBO" Since Rich Hansen is the AMA resource working with the FAA could it be possible he might just know where the FAA is thinking? Sorry John other then just your opinion what conversations have you had with the FAA?

The semantics are critical...........
;(2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a communitybased
set of safety guidelines and within the programming
of a nationwide community-based organization;
Any regulatory lawyers out there? What constitutes "within the programming"?
Old 12-18-2014, 12:00 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

the ONLY reason Im a member is because I MUST have it to fly at one of the local fields.. But just like any insurance, its a scam, and its not needed, another local club has a policy through a local insurance company so you dont need ama to fly there, works great. AMA is secondary, they will do everything in their power to find a way not to pay.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:06 PM
JohnShe

Slight modification............. Must be a member of a "nationwide CBO" Since Rich Hansen is the AMA resource working with the FAA could it be possible he might just know where the FAA is thinking? Sorry John other then just your opinion what conversations have you had with the FAA?
He is still dead wrong. No one can be forced to join a club.

It means follow the rules and guidelines of the appropriate program to the extent necessary to avoid interfering with NAS in a dangerous way.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:38 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by JohnShe;119432
[IMG
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/images/styles/iBusiness/misc/quote_icon.png[/IMG] Originally Posted by bradpaul
He is still dead wrong. No one can be forced to join a club.

It means follow the rules and guidelines of the appropriate program to the extent necessary to avoid interfering with NAS in a dangerous way.
Don't bet on that In New Zealand U must belong to Their equivalent of our AMA in order to fly anything RC.

The FAA/NTSB could in act an FAR that requires anyone who wants to fly an RC anything must pass a written test to obtain a license to fly any where but an AMA field where a person would be supervised on the rules. Of course AMA members would be allowed to fly at an AMA field and the Designated flight instructors would certify U knew and understand the rules and indorse your license if U wanted to fly places other than an AMA field. Present AMA members would be issued their Licensee with their next AMA Renewal.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:43 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by JohnVH
the ONLY reason Im a member is because I MUST have it to fly at one of the local fields.. But just like any insurance, its a scam, and its not needed, another local club has a policy through a local insurance company so you dont need ama to fly there, works great. AMA is secondary, they will do everything in their power to find a way not to pay.
So it's a choice you make to have AMA, to fly at a field.

LOL on the insurance stuff...funny. It's virtually impossible that you haven't used some type of insurance at least once in your life. Doubt it was a scam then. Expensive, cumbersome, difficult to understand, sure. A scam and unnecessary, of course not.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:22 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

So it's a choice you make to have AMA, to fly at a field.

LOL on the insurance stuff...funny. It's virtually impossible that you haven't used some type of insurance at least once in your life. Doubt it was a scam then. Expensive, cumbersome, difficult to understand, sure. A scam and unnecessary, of course not.
Not much of a choice for people that want to fly, you MUST have it to fly there. Yes, you can go somewhere else I guess, but thats another part of the scam.

You also MUST have insurance to drive a car, and you pay extra because other people suck at driving, sucks.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:51 PM
rolsen12

Nay
Old 12-18-2014, 03:24 PM
LarsL

Mike
rcmiket,

My last paragraph wasn't directed at you specifically. If you or anyone else reading this thread don't think the AMA is needed, then I assume it is also not "liked." It wouldn't make sense at least to me to like something and yet think it is not needed, especially as it relates to an organization like the AMA. But, if I'm reading your correctly, you are "OK" with the AMA, think it is needed, but are not satisfied with the way they are spending some money in the area of drones/fpv. That's fair and I agree with you that the drone/fpv issues are from the general public and not AMA members. I do however disagree with you on the spending by the AMA in this area.

Here is my take. I don't believe that putting our head in the sand will save us from any regulations that might come down from the FAA, that impinge on our "classic" hobby activities as a result of drone/fpv issues that happened out there by the general public. Our argument to the FAA that, "It wasn't us, it was those renegade rabble rousers out there," will fall on deaf ears. Throughout our history, we the AMA have always shown that this was a responsible hobby with models that were potentially hazardous to people and property. We did that by having an organization that was united around common rules and we have had many programs, procedures, and policies that ensured safety. Every club I have belonged to has a safety officer. Every club I've belonged to has a training program and a "certification" process where new members were certified if they were joining with prior flight experience. Over the years the AMA has spent money on developing many of these elements that continue to guide our hobby in a safe way. Look at all the hoops you have to jump through to fly jets which were developed by the AMA (for the umpteenth time I again say the AMA is us, not just some entity in Indiana). In my opinion those hoops were developed proactively and were/have been effective in ensuring that the FAA didn't come in and regulate in a heavy manner. We could tell them we were already on it. Same thing with the larger (over a certain weight) aircraft. There are regulations and procedures developed by the AMA that ensure that these big models are structurally sound.

So now we have drones/fpv aircraft that are part of the hobby. They're here and not going away, unless of course they are banned altogether by the government. If that happens, we won't have to talk about any of this anymore. But I don't think that is going to happen either and so we are left with this problem (for us) that the FAA is looking as regulations that sucks everything "hobby" related into it. I believe that the AMA by taking action (like it has for the last 75+ years) and in this case spending some money on this training program, is showing the regulating agency, that we are responsible, proactive, and getting ahead of the safety issues as it relates to responsible use by this segment of our hobby. Again, I don't think ignoring/disassociating ourselves from the drone/fpv segment will insulate and protect us.

Lastly, I am primarily a fixed wing hobbyist but I have recently gotten into "classic" rotor wing RC. With the modern flybarless and GPS systems that are part of the rotor wing hobby now, any of these aircraft could also do some of the flights that the quads can do. Certainly they could also easily fly in the same unsafe airspace (around airports, in populous areas, etc.) as the multirotor drones can. I hate so say it but it is probable that in my lifetime, a "Joe Public" flyer will do something stupid. I don't want the rotor wing segment to be cast out/abolished. The AMA is doing what the NRA does with all of the segments of its sport/hobby - supporting them all, as needed spending money on them, and for certain not saying, "Oh, that segment, we'll thrown them to the wolves." We need the AMA, even with it's imperfections as an organization that unifies us in fostering and protecting this hobby in all of its areas.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:28 PM
kimchiyuk

I've read every post in this thread. It seems the root of people's issue is the cost. Seriously? Most people I know have invested more than enough to buy 10 life memberships, but
Old 12-18-2014, 05:15 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Don't bet on that In New Zealand U must belong to Their equivalent of our AMA in order to fly anything RC.

The FAA/NTSB could in act an FAR that requires anyone who wants to fly an RC anything must pass a written test to obtain a license to fly any where but an AMA field where a person would be supervised on the rules. Of course AMA members would be allowed to fly at an AMA field and the Designated flight instructors would certify U knew and understand the rules and indorse your license if U wanted to fly places other than an AMA field. Present AMA members would be issued their Licensee with their next AMA Renewal.
Last time i checked, we were living in the United States of America. I thing we have a different bill of rights. No on can be forced to join a club in this country.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:37 PM
HoundDog

Last time i checked, we were living in the United States of America. I thing we have a different bill of rights. No on can be forced to join a club in this country.
If and/or when the FAA/NTSB says U have to be Licensed By or belong to the only CBO U will join or not fly. U don't Hunt Boat drive Fly full Scale ect. with out some sort of License expect it for Toy Airplanes too.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:52 PM
binns aero

Yes . Who could turn down the special 2 year deal, did you know you could save three dollars?
Old 12-18-2014, 06:04 PM
franklin_m

Unfortunately, it's a legislative / regulatory problem. For me it's not a single thing, but a growing list.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:05 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by HoundDog
If and/or when the FAA/NTSB says U have to be Licensed By or belong to the only CBO U will join or not fly. U don't Hunt Boat drive Fly full Scale ect. with out some sort of License expect it for Toy Airplanes too.
HD, I think you need some fresh tinfoil on your head.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:24 PM
aeronca52

HD, I think you need some fresh tinfoil on your head.

Ditto.

I fly out back of my house in my aunt's fields, done so since the early 1960's. No national CBO or whatever it is today is going to tell me if I can fly or not. My Homeowners insurance is my primary coverage and I'll run with that. NAY!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.