Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Do we really need the ama, or is it just like auto insurance...another ripoff?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: Do we really need the AMA???
YEA
82.91%
NAY
17.09%
Voters: 316. You may not vote on this poll

Do we really need the ama, or is it just like auto insurance...another ripoff?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 07:25 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I play golf as well as fly rc.my membership is over 2 grand but I love the game and being a member playing with other members.i rented my ama at 58 bucks and have supported the ama since 1971.i just rejoined 2 rc clubs at 65 and 80 respectively.both orgasm I Zaki on are great.well maintained runways shelter fun events friendship young and old.i wouldn't have it any other way.overall the ama does a great job.no one forces you to join ama and charted clubs are ama for flying purposethere are some groups around the country blessed with wide open spaces not near anyone or anything.they gather voluntarily fly with out ama that's fine.but ma y of us are lucky to have charter clubs especially in urban area.personally I prefer to fly with a club and never alone.thats just me.if a prop cuts me as did happen I am grateful for help.its sad commentary about how people attack things like ama.they have done a lot for promoting this hobby.i am glad to be a member in 2015.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:29 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

My apology .my tablet types whatever it darn well likes.rent was renewed..orgasm was organization.sorry funny maybe but I just have review what it types.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:33 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by cloudancer03
I play golf as well as fly rc.my membership is over 2 grand but I love the game and being a member playing with other members.i rented my ama at 58 bucks and have supported the ama since 1971.i just rejoined 2 rc clubs at 65 and 80 respectively.both orgasm I Zaki on are great.well maintained runways shelter fun events friendship young and old.i wouldn't have it any other way.overall the ama does a great job.no one forces you to join ama and charted clubs are ama for flying purposethere are some groups around the country blessed with wide open spaces not near anyone or anything.they gather voluntarily fly with out ama that's fine.but ma y of us are lucky to have charter clubs especially in urban area.personally I prefer to fly with a club and never alone.thats just me.if a prop cuts me as did happen I am grateful for help.its sad commentary about how people attack things like ama.they have done a lot for promoting this hobby.i am glad to be a member in 2015.
Man...no wonder you belong to two clubs.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:06 PM
LarsL

I see a fair number of post from folks who say nay, the AMA is not needed because they have a farm, private property, or whatever that allows them to fly and not need a club field. For all of you that have said that, I say you are fortunate and good for you that you are in that position. That said, I think you are disregarding what the AMA has done and will have to do in the future to support and keep the hobby vibrant. If it was just you fortunate hobbiests that the hobby industry had to rely on for buying all of the products that they produce and make available to us today, they wouldn't be in business.

Lars
Old 12-19-2014, 04:07 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by porcia83
Do you see any other SIGs interest being discussed by the federal govt? Any free flight issues being discussed by the FAA? Any giant scale planes caught buzzing buildings lately? Any sloap soarers interfering with landing approaches? Any control line folks causing any trouble at National parks? See where I'm going here?

The reason it's getting the AMA's attention, is because it has a direct affect on this hobby, and how it might be regulated going forward. The FPV capacity of aircraft, coupled with the reckless operation of same, has warranted this level of involvement and funds I would guess.

Also, you took something I said out of context, and noted it was "ridiculous", and ironically did exactly what I suggested in the FULL sentence. You "did more to get involved". You contacted your District V.P. That doesn't seem so ridiculous does it?
The R/C hobby as whole is getting the attention of the FAA due to the quad/"drone" issue. Thinking that these new regulations will only affect the quad/'drone',FPV crowd is foolish. They will impact all of us and the money spent by the AMA can do nothing to stop the real problem irresponsible operators who aren't even members of the AMA in the first place.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 12-19-2014 at 04:11 AM.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:16 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by LarsL
rcmiket,

My last paragraph wasn't directed at you specifically. If you or anyone else reading this thread don't think the AMA is needed, then I assume it is also not "liked." It wouldn't make sense at least to me to like something and yet think it is not needed, especially as it relates to an organization like the AMA. But, if I'm reading your correctly, you are "OK" with the AMA, think it is needed, but are not satisfied with the way they are spending some money in the area of drones/fpv. That's fair and I agree with you that the drone/fpv issues are from the general public and not AMA members. I do however disagree with you on the spending by the AMA in this area.

Here is my take. I don't believe that putting our head in the sand will save us from any regulations that might come down from the FAA, that impinge on our "classic" hobby activities as a result of drone/fpv issues that happened out there by the general public. Our argument to the FAA that, "It wasn't us, it was those renegade rabble rousers out there," will fall on deaf ears. Throughout our history, we the AMA have always shown that this was a responsible hobby with models that were potentially hazardous to people and property. We did that by having an organization that was united around common rules and we have had many programs, procedures, and policies that ensured safety. Every club I have belonged to has a safety officer. Every club I've belonged to has a training program and a "certification" process where new members were certified if they were joining with prior flight experience. Over the years the AMA has spent money on developing many of these elements that continue to guide our hobby in a safe way. Look at all the hoops you have to jump through to fly jets which were developed by the AMA (for the umpteenth time I again say the AMA is us, not just some entity in Indiana). In my opinion those hoops were developed proactively and were/have been effective in ensuring that the FAA didn't come in and regulate in a heavy manner. We could tell them we were already on it. Same thing with the larger (over a certain weight) aircraft. There are regulations and procedures developed by the AMA that ensure that these big models are structurally sound.

So now we have drones/fpv aircraft that are part of the hobby. They're here and not going away, unless of course they are banned altogether by the government. If that happens, we won't have to talk about any of this anymore. But I don't think that is going to happen either and so we are left with this problem (for us) that the FAA is looking as regulations that sucks everything "hobby" related into it. I believe that the AMA by taking action (like it has for the last 75+ years) and in this case spending some money on this training program, is showing the regulating agency, that we are responsible, proactive, and getting ahead of the safety issues as it relates to responsible use by this segment of our hobby. Again, I don't think ignoring/disassociating ourselves from the drone/fpv segment will insulate and protect us.

Lastly, I am primarily a fixed wing hobbyist but I have recently gotten into "classic" rotor wing RC. With the modern flybarless and GPS systems that are part of the rotor wing hobby now, any of these aircraft could also do some of the flights that the quads can do. Certainly they could also easily fly in the same unsafe airspace (around airports, in populous areas, etc.) as the multirotor drones can. I hate so say it but it is probable that in my lifetime, a "Joe Public" flyer will do something stupid. I don't want the rotor wing segment to be cast out/abolished. The AMA is doing what the NRA does with all of the segments of its sport/hobby - supporting them all, as needed spending money on them, and for certain not saying, "Oh, that segment, we'll thrown them to the wolves." We need the AMA, even with it's imperfections as an organization that unifies us in fostering and protecting this hobby in all of its areas.
Fair enough.

Mike
Old 12-19-2014, 01:58 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Talk about timing...hot off the e-mail press.

Dear valued supporter,
Because of you AMA Foundation had a successful first year. Your dedication and generosity have led to a 65% increase in donations-contributing to the betterment of the model aviation hobby.
This has been a very busy time for the AMA Foundation. The staff is preparing for the AMA Expo, held Ontario, California in January. Thanks to a generous donation from Dr. Kendall Wagner, one lucky attendee's name will be drawn for a free ride in his P-51 Mustang "Lady Alice." We are also in the process of finalizing the foundation board of directors. Information about the newest members of the board will be sent with the next issue of The Torch, our donor newsletter. Lastly, the final touches for the 2014 National Model Aviation Day are being completed. The big announcement about the total raised for the Wounded Warrior Project will be made at AMA Expo as well.
As the year comes to an end, we want to thank you for your support, and hope that you will proudly display the donor icon on your membership card. We look forward to 2015 and the many developments your generosity will support.
Remember, it is not too late to make a year-end donation. Visit the AMA Foundation website to show your support, and receive a tax benefit for 2014. Donations must be received by December 31, 2014.
I want to personally thank each and every one of you for your support. We are very fortunate to have a group of donors that support us and understand the importance of our mission.
Happy Holidays to you, and wishes for a happy and healthy 2015!
Mandee Mikulski
Director of Development
AMA Foundation

Huh...65% increase in donations, and that's in addition to membership fees. Interesting number, which I'm sure will be attacked/questioned, but interesting nonetheless.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:10 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wait and see people our hobby will eventually be controlled by the federal government. Try flying in Germany or better yet Great Britain.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:24 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by HoundDog
If and/or when the FAA/NTSB says U have to be Licensed By or belong to the only CBO U will join or not fly. U don't Hunt Boat drive Fly full Scale ect. with out some sort of License expect it for Toy Airplanes too.

Originally Posted by JohnShe
HD, I think you need some fresh tinfoil on your head.

-What U guys don't realize is that it is maybe as many 15 people out of 175,000 AMA members have any Idea that these Forums exist and contribute to or ever even know that the FAA is going to make rules pertaining to our hobby ... So that makes all of us that are guessing about and Bricking about what might happen pretty LAME and Insignificant in the scream of things.

But don't forget U/we are grown men (Physically) TOY Airplanes and other TOYS that fly. There in lies the problem that these thugs are Just TOYS that the powers to be believe are dangerous to the flying public. For that reason alone we are going to be regulated when the FAA/NTSB gets their sh**t together. And if U think that the FAA isn't going to license any one that flies anything then U have your head in the Sand.

Last edited by HoundDog; 12-19-2014 at 04:26 PM.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:01 PM
JohnShe

If and/or when the FAA/NTSB says U have to be Licensed By or belong to the only CBO U will join or not fly. U don't Hunt Boat drive Fly full Scale ect. with out some sort of License expect it for Toy Airplanes too.

-What U guys don't realize is that it is maybe as many 15 people out of 175,000 AMA members have any Idea that these Forums exist and contribute to or ever even know that the FAA is going to make rules pertaining to our hobby ... So that makes all of us that are guessing about and Bricking about what might happen pretty LAME and Insignificant in the scream of things.

But don't forget U/we are grown men (Physically) TOY Airplanes and other TOYS that fly. There in lies the problem that these thugs are Just TOYS that the powers to be believe are dangerous to the flying public. For that reason alone we are going to be regulated when the FAA/NTSB gets their sh**t together. And if U think that the FAA isn't going to license any one that flies anything then U have your head in the Sand.
The FAA is not going to make rules pertaining to our recreational activities. It says so in the law and it says so in the FAA interpretation of that law.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:03 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Just renewed my ama as I will always"
Old 12-19-2014, 05:05 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by flycatch
Wait and see people our hobby will eventually be controlled by the federal government. Try flying in Germany or better yet Great Britain.
I might have said the following in this thread, or another...but...where do people come up with this stuff? Rest easy....nothing much is changing, the sky is not falling.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:48 PM
HoundDog

The FAA is not going to make rules pertaining to our recreational activities. It says so in the law and it says so in the FAA interpretation of that law.
That's only if U "FLY ON THE RESERVATION" CBO i.e. AMA Fields.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:48 PM
HoundDog

A double POST for Johney

Last edited by HoundDog; 12-19-2014 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:56 PM
porcia83
Banned

I doubt that...many many people don't have AMA and fly on their own in parks and farms etc etc.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:21 PM
JohnShe

Nope, all you have to do is obey the spirit of the AMA guidelines and stay out of places where you don't belong. You absolutely do not have to belong to a club.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:25 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by porcia83
I doubt that...many many people don't have AMA and fly on their own in parks and farms etc

etc.

Nope, all you have to do is obey the spirit of the AMA guidelines and stay out of places where you don't belong. You absolutely do not have to belong to a club.

Maybe not yet but u will be licensed sooner if not later you'll get it either from the feds or the
only CBO the AMA.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:47 PM
JohnShe

Maybe not yet but u will be licensed sooner if not later you'll get it either from the feds or the
only CBO the AMA.
Nope, hobbyists will not be licensed. HD, I am getting tired of this. You have no evidence to support your bizarre claims. Just give up.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:03 PM
HoundDog

Nope, hobbyists will not be licensed. HD, I am getting tired of this. You have no evidence to support your bizarre claims. Just give up.
Like I said Just wait and see Johnney
The FAA and the AMA won't pass up a chance for more Revenue ...
Besides taking a written test to prove U know and understand the Rules
and
Per JohnShe U Under stand the " AMA guidelines and stay out of places where you don't belong. "
Old 12-19-2014, 08:21 PM
littlecrankshaf

I think he reads the tea leaves pretty good about being licensed in the future... It will start with a small segment to make it palatable and will seem very reasonable to most when it happens. Not sure when but it's coming based on the things I read guys like you caterwaul about...and there are lots of them. Wish I could just spray 'em with the water hose...LOL
Old 12-19-2014, 08:44 PM
Greybeard1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
I think he reads the tea leaves pretty good about being licensed in the future... It will start with a small segment to make it palatable and will seem very reasonable to most when it happens. Not sure when but it's coming based on the things I read guys like you caterwaul about...and there are lots of them. Wish I could just spray 'em with the water hose...LOL
You are aware that every amateur radio operator is licensed? and the term amateur well defined? None of them are complaining about having to study to get the license, why should something that can be deadly if mishandled not be held to the same requirements. That being, prove you know what you're doing before you can do it. A 6 pound model at 60 mph works out to 528 ft/lb/sec. compare that with some firearms, the model has more impact. We're not playing with toys.

Rich.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:56 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by flycatch

A FAA guy walks into the hobby shop on Thursday here in El Paso to discuss "drones". Asks about the local clubs. Drops off theses for them to post in the store. Don't tell me they are not looking at our hobby as a whole.The AMA website is mentioned at the bottom in really small letters.I wish i would have been there to speak with him.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0757.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	2056435   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0760.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	2.31 MB
ID:	2056436  

Last edited by rcmiket; 12-20-2014 at 03:58 AM.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:28 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The units are (ft-lb)/sec
The analysis stands.

Originally Posted by Greybeard1
You are aware that every amateur radio operator is licensed? and the term amateur well defined? None of them are complaining about having to study to get the license, why should something that can be deadly if mishandled not be held to the same requirements. That being, prove you know what you're doing before you can do it. A 6 pound model at 60 mph works out to 528 ft/lb/sec. compare that with some firearms, the model has more impact. We're not playing with toys.

Rich.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:32 AM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by Greybeard1

Rich.
Thanks for supporting/validating my post...
Old 12-20-2014, 07:54 AM
macmoke1

Nay we don't need the AMA. . . The AMA in my opinion works very hard on the side of Modelers and we should have some type of Special Interest group representing us with the Government. The problem with the AMA is that they act in good faith when dealing with the Government. As we have seen in the past year, any deals/negotiations etc with the Government is like dealing with North Korea. The government is made of a bunch of narcissistic liars with the only goal of expanding and controlling as many people as it can. We saw this in the negotiations on the AMA "Rule" Everything that was negotiated was promptly ignored by the Government and they grabbed more power by conveniently ignoring the law written by congress stating that "modeling activities governed by the AMA were exempt from any rules and regulations buy the FAA." The problem is not with the AMA but the crack smoking, lying, cheating, stealing government representatives.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.