Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Do we really need the ama, or is it just like auto insurance...another ripoff?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: Do we really need the AMA???
YEA
82.91%
NAY
17.09%
Voters: 316. You may not vote on this poll

Do we really need the ama, or is it just like auto insurance...another ripoff?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 03:56 PM
binns aero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New York just passed laws on drone use.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:03 PM
franklin_m

I'm on the fence. The reason, how and what I fly has changed. I'm more interested in flying opportunity, and what increases that are small electric models that I can fly in the part 75 yards from my house or at the school (larger) 150 yards away. The nearest AMA flying field is 20 minutes away. So when you look at the "time overhead" required to pack the car, drive there, unpack and setup, and on then start flying...it's something I haven't done in a year. On the other hand, I can doing 450 size helicopter in my yard, and larger stuff in a 5 minute walk.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:31 PM
bradpaul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's see the "hard data"..................... number of collisions (United States) between full scale and model aircraft in 2014.......... 0

Old 12-21-2014, 04:39 PM
binns aero

I guess Brad has acsess to FAA data base.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:40 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by bradpaul
Let's see the "hard data"..................... number of collisions (United States) between full scale and model aircraft in 2014.......... 0

Dang...You got to be kidding! We need to start having more incidents so we will have something to report... Dang modelers are too safe for their own good...
Old 12-21-2014, 04:46 PM
bradpaul

But unlike some here I actually understand the definition of hyperbole...................................
Old 12-21-2014, 04:50 PM
littlecrankshaf

But unlike some here I actually understand the definition of hyperbole...................................
Is that when you use really big letters in your post??? LOL
Old 12-21-2014, 04:58 PM
bradpaul

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
Is that when you use really big letters in your post??? LOL
No that is just making a point that needed to be made.

BTW bins aero the FAA database is online and anybody can access it.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:00 PM
littlecrankshaf

No that is just making a point that needed to be made.

BTW bins aero the FAA database is online and anybody can access it.
Dang...I'll probably never know why people accuse me of that....
Old 12-21-2014, 05:05 PM
bradpaul

Ponder this...................... back in WW2 the pilots reported incidents between "foo fighters" and their planes, in the 50's and 60's it was UFO's now it is multi rotor drones at 10,000' or a RC F4 turbine jet at 5000'. The hysteria is like a virus,
Old 12-21-2014, 05:16 PM
binns aero

Ok, do we need the AMA?,Now it's UFO's and boo-boo's, time for my meds and night-night,don't loose that train,(BraidPal)
Old 12-21-2014, 05:16 PM
franklin_m

Struck a nerve did I? The more interesting number, to FAA regulators, lawmakers, and the general traveling public is that five years ago, they never heard of near misses between "drones" and planes carrying them and their loved ones. Now, they're hearing of them weekly. If the zero was so significant, then why the attention from FAA and the media? The reason is that they're not willling to let that zero become a one. And that group far outnumbers us.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:18 PM
franklin_m

Ponder this...................... back in WW2 the pilots reported incidents between "foo fighters" and their planes, in the 50's and 60's it was UFO's now it is multi rotor drones at 10,000' or a RC F4 turbine jet at 5000'. The hysteria is like a virus,
While some may well be hysteria, there's enough reckless operators posting videos to show that there's too many that are not imaginary - and thus my support for FAA regulating. My recommendation: Hobby = no compensation in any form, nothing over 400' AGL, no FPV, no autonomous navigation, no flight in/under class B or C airspace, nothing within 5nm of class D or full size airfields w/o written agreement, no flight in/under military training routes during NOTAM'd operating hours, and nothing over 55lbs.

Last edited by franklin_m; 12-21-2014 at 05:24 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:26 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by binns aero
AMA too slow to react yet again.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:39 PM
bradpaul

Originally Posted by franklin_m
React to what? There was drone legislation introduced in NYC but I saw no indication that a law was passed.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:46 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

lol...like they are supposed to "react" to everything and stop it at the same time. Again, they can't seem to win with some folks. No matter what they do, they will be criticized and second guessed at every turn.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:47 PM
franklin_m

React to what? There was drone legislation introduced in NYC but I saw no indication that a law was passed.
I bit on that...whoop dee do. What does matter is that five states have laws on the books already, many more introduced around the country. And it's only going to get worse so long as self-regulation continues to be ineffective.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:55 PM
bradpaul

I bit on that...whoop dee do. What does matter is that five states have laws on the books already, many more introduced around the country. And it's only going to get worse so long as self-regulation continues to be ineffective.
Instead of reacting to rediculous reporting proposals the AMA is having a jointj teleconference tomorrow: http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-ne...n-announcement

Is this what you call doing nothing?

The Federal Aviation Administration and leading unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) trade organizations have scheduled a teleconference to announce a “UASSafety Campaign,” on December 22, the same day projected as the release date of the agency’s long-delayed draft regulation on small drones.
The FAA, the Association of Unmanned Vehicle Systems International, the Small UAV Coalition and the Academy of Model Aeronautics will participate on the call, according to a media advisory. “Just in time for the holidays, the UAS campaign will provide prospective users of the technology with the information they need to fly safely and responsibly,” states the advisory. There was no mention of the eagerly awaited “small UAS” notice of proposed rulemaking (NPRM).
Old 12-21-2014, 05:56 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by porcia83
lol...like they are supposed to "react" to everything and stop it at the same time. Again, they can't seem to win with some folks. No matter what they do, they will be criticized and second guessed at every turn.
Their failure was not getting out in front of the issue in the first place. They put all their eggs in the 336 basket and how'd that work out for them? AMA needs to find a way to regain the initiative with legislators and regulators. What makes it tough is that they need to do this knowing that there's a large portion of the RC population that could care less about the AMA safety code - the reckless operators that are showing up in the news. So, I propose that the only way to get back out in front is to cut ties w/ FPV and autonomous crowd and get back to core constituency. They'd do this by proposing to FAA something like what I described above. In doing so, they create a clear distinction between hobby use and the knuckleheads.

Some will disagree I'm sure. But then I'd ask if they'd characterize AMA's actions to date a success?
Old 12-21-2014, 06:04 PM
franklin_m

Also, did you notice that AMA's lobbyist took another job? So they lose their point man in DC and they've hired a new PR firm. Hardly signs of something going well.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:06 PM
franklin_m

Instead of reacting to rediculous reporting proposals the AMA is having a jointj teleconference tomorrow: http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-ne...n-announcement

Is this what you call doing nothing?

[COLOR=#231F20][FONT=Arial Narrow]
And just how many rich parents out buying quads for little Johnny are going to read that announcement? I'm not holding my breath that this will have even a small impact. If you want to think otherwise, you're of course free to do so.

Keep in mind though, for FAA to get regulations through, they have to demonstrate that lesser measures have not worked. So they're doing this campaign, knowing that little Johnny and his parents will ignore it, and that the drone reports will likely continue. Thus, they can go to Congress and say "We tried awareness campaigns, partnered with industry and hobby groups, and the near misses continued. So we need this additional regulation."

Last edited by franklin_m; 12-21-2014 at 06:11 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:19 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Their failure was not getting out in front of the issue in the first place. They put all their eggs in the 336 basket and how'd that work out for them? AMA needs to find a way to regain the initiative with legislators and regulators. What makes it tough is that they need to do this knowing that there's a large portion of the RC population that could care less about the AMA safety code - the reckless operators that are showing up in the news. So, I propose that the only way to get back out in front is to cut ties w/ FPV and autonomous crowd and get back to core constituency. They'd do this by proposing to FAA something like what I described above. In doing so, they create a clear distinction between hobby use and the knuckleheads.

Some will disagree I'm sure. But then I'd ask if they'd characterize AMA's actions to date a success?
Also, did you notice that AMA's lobbyist took another job? So they lose their point man in DC and they've hired a new PR firm. Hardly signs of something going well.
as I noted earlier, no matter what they do, or did, the criticism rains down. Now because they've changed lobbyist, bang, another hit. Keep in mind, if they kept the same guy/firm, another group would be hammering away at that. Change in the strategy is always a factor, as is who is leading the charge. Nothing alarming there. There is only so much they could do, and only so much they can do. There has been no gross mishandling or ineptitude at any level, and nothing has been set in stone at this time. Things didn't go our way at every turn, so what? It's evolving, and at the end of the day nothing major or earth shattering is going to happen the the average hobbyist. I know this because I shook my magic eight ball (no, I didn't shoot it..I shook it), and it said "No Big Change". I don't second guess the Eight Ball, to do so would just be foolish.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:45 PM
franklin_m

as I noted earlier, no matter what they do, or did, the criticism rains down. Now because they've changed lobbyist, bang, another hit. Keep in mind, if they kept the same guy/firm, another group would be hammering away at that. Change in the strategy is always a factor, as is who is leading the charge. Nothing alarming there. There is only so much they could do, and only so much they can do. There has been no gross mishandling or ineptitude at any level, and nothing has been set in stone at this time. Things didn't go our way at every turn, so what? It's evolving, and at the end of the day nothing major or earth shattering is going to happen the the average hobbyist. I know this because I shook my magic eight ball (no, I didn't shoot it..I shook it), and it said "No Big Change". I don't second guess the Eight Ball, to do so would just be foolish.
While I hope you're right, I think we're in for some tightening on the definition of hobby flights. And yes, it will continue to evolve if indeed the near misses and reckless operations continue. I maintain the AMA's role at this point is to limit further losses.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:51 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by binns aero
Does anyone know what the laws entail? I would bet they don't effect RC operations at a designated RC site.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:17 AM
rcmiket

Here's one for you. Say the FAA steps in a does take over and regulate R/C as a whole. Does the AMA disappear and why would we need them?

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.