Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

The MA mag for joining AMA

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

The MA mag for joining AMA

Old 12-15-2014, 11:04 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
No one but you said anything about raising salaries. If cash is tight for the AMA then they should (like other reputable businesses ) look for ways to cut costs; like cuts in salaries, benefits , etc..or the high costs of printing a magazine that is 3/4 advertisements.....not keep raising membership dues.

Please show me the stats where an overwhelming number of members still want this outdated magazine.
Fair enough, when you mentioned shifting possible cost saving from printing that's either going to be done with raises, or more staff. Either way, it would probably be an issue for some. As for membership dues, I thought they were the same over the past few years, but could be wrong there. Any increase was probably nominal at best. Then again, what gets cheaper now a days? Heck I'm happy when fixed cost things stay the same, like insurance, gas etc.

As for stats, I don't have any hard and fast stats just as you don't have any to back up that money is misappropriated or that very few people sit down and read the mag. It's an assumption, right or wrong, on our part. What I think though is that if nobody is reading this, and it's that expensive to produce, it would have been gone long ago. What business would keep tossing money at something that nobody is looking at (wait..how long was Windows Vista sold?). I've got to think there is sufficient demand there. As a stand alone mag $5.95 it sure beats other similar type of mags out there no?

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
Fair enough. My thoughts will always be; who wants this rag anyway now-a-days ? The last estate sale I went to there was a decades old collection of modeling magazines floor to ceiling in cabinets 30' long. Magazines that were chock-full of kit , scratch builds, plans, etc... Guess what?.......Nobody wanted them ...couldn't give them away. Yes maybe a few folks wanted one or two editions to complete a collection but not worth it. It's a waste of money and resources to keep printing it....make it electronic and lower the dues!
Again, not sure why you say this is a waste of money. Enough people out there are reading this, or enough revenue is coming in from corporate ad buys, as well as clubs and individuals to make it worthwhile. What would the actual savings be going digital?

I took a look through the last copy of MA, Decembers. I didn't see 3/4 of the mag being devoted to ads, the opposite actually. 160 pages, and of that 52 were all ads. The rest was copy, with some ads as well. And might I mention, lots of ads some mom and pop/one man US based hobby operations too!

Articles on the ARUP (bizzare and cool as hell), Focal Point (my fav section,,,geeky centerfold), old timer antigue planes (SAM), RC Giant story, a profile on slope soarer/builder Michael Richter, free flight article to name a few. I dunno, I think that's pretty comprehensive. And the district info too, always cool to see what other groups are doing.

It's not a mag for everyone, or the person looking for one facet of the hobby I guess. I think it has to be as much as possible for everyone, so there are hard choices to make. Kinda like making a perfectly bland turkey hoggie appeal to everyone.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:14 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Lifer
I'm not certain on this, but when you renew your AMA, don't you have the option of NOT receiving the magazine?
I didn't see that option. It's 29 to renew, and you can pay another 9.95 for the park flier mag, or pay an extra 2.00 for a plastic covering for the mag to get shipped in.

Honestly I don't know how much lower a membership could be to make any difference. AMA membership equals the cost of 6 mags at retail price. Drop it to 25, 20? I think it's a bargain at 29
Old 12-15-2014, 11:44 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Like I said, I'm not certain. Bye the way, $29 to renew? I paid $58!
Old 12-15-2014, 12:20 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

$58 for open membership and it hasn't changed in years, despite the additional money they have been spending on the FAA issues.

$29 would be if you're a CD and CD at least one event during the year.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:54 PM
LarsL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyMcGee
I'd rather read the National Enquirer or any other trashy tabloid than to waste my time reading anything written in the MA magazine.

Model Aviation should just put a caption above each article that reads, "The manufacturer told us what to write and paid us a lot of money for this ... It's not an article about this plane, it's a paid advertisement."

MA should also describe themselves as pure fiction, or science fiction.

On the rare occasion of an actual article that is not about a new product, MA merely writes a revamped version of an earlier article, or a complete re-posting of an article that is a year or two old. They must have a very short attention span (ADHD). MA has beaten the "downwind turn" subject to death more times than the subject has appeared on RCU. Now that's bad!!!!!!

When MA arrives in my mailbox, it goes straight into the trash can. Never makes it into the house. It's not even worth putting it into the recycle bin.
Hey Bobby,

Note sure what magazine you are reading??? I don't see any of the "manufacturer told us what to write" that you refer to. In fact, every review has a Pluses and Minuses section and I have never seen a review that didn't have at lease one minus. Most have at least two or three. With the discontinuation of RC Report, all of the other commercial magazines only refer to the positives in their reviews.

You write that that it is rare for them to have an article on something other than a new product... if someone wants to have a critique of MA, it could be that there are not enough reviews of new products. Usually they have just one or two per issue. The majority of the articles are from SIG's, explaining what's new, what's developing, how to's, and so on in their areas. I might have missed the article on the "downwind turn" so maybe there was one, but I've never seen the plethora of articles on that subject that you refer to.

Like someone else said, you send yours right to the trash and don't read it, so on what are you basing your critique?

Lars
Old 12-15-2014, 01:05 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by LarsL
Hey Bobby,

Note sure what magazine you are reading??? I don't see any of the "manufacturer told us what to write" that you refer to. In fact, every review has a Pluses and Minuses section and I have never seen a review that didn't have at lease one minus. Most have at least two or three. With the discontinuation of RC Report, all of the other commercial magazines only refer to the positives in their reviews.

You write that that it is rare for them to have an article on something other than a new product... if someone wants to have a critique of MA, it could be that there are not enough reviews of new products. Usually they have just one or two per issue. The majority of the articles are from SIG's, explaining what's new, what's developing, how to's, and so on in their areas. I might have missed the article on the "downwind turn" so maybe there was one, but I've never seen the plethora of articles on that subject that you refer to.

Like someone else said, you send yours right to the trash and don't read it, so on what are you basing your critique?

Lars
He's not reading MA, that's for sure. Either he is mistaken as to what mag he is reading, or his comments are not factually correct. After all, he said the mag doesn't even get to the house, it goes right into the trash.

No alternative publication was named either. Hmm?
Old 12-15-2014, 01:06 PM
BarracudaHockey

With the discontinuation of RC Report, all of the other commercial magazines only refer to the positives in their reviews.
Sorry, I disagree with that as well, Fly RC reviews all have pro's and con's.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:02 PM
Lifer

Barracuda Hockey,

You only have to "CD" one event to qualify for a discount? If so, I'm due for a refund.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:04 PM
BarracudaHockey

You have to be the primary CD on a Class C event, or a co-CD on something that involves scoring (not 100 percent on the 2nd part, but yes, 1 event, I've only done class C thus far though)
Old 12-15-2014, 02:31 PM
Lifer

I CD'd "Warbirds over Missouri" last May and reported it to the AMA after the event. It was sanctioned.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:33 PM
BarracudaHockey

Sounds like you shoulda got half price then, give the nice folks a call.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:05 PM
Lifer

I will, and thank you!
Old 12-15-2014, 05:28 PM
Rvander
My Feedback: (81)

Wow... Yet another negative post... One after another... Whether its AMA, IMAA, IMAC,... Again would be awesome to hit some threads on positive things in the hobby...
Old 12-15-2014, 06:07 PM
fragile

I really enjoy reading the Model Aviation magazine. The best articles for me are the coverage of model airplane World Championships which M.A. covers since day one. To the best of my knowledge, only M.A. has full coverage of these great events since the report is usually written by the team manager or a team member.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:14 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I hear the plan is to run a feature article on every new member.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:22 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Ever since the very beginning of model aviation, women have shown virtually ZERO interest in building model airplanes.
Every generation of men [since "Super Glue" and Monokote arrived on the scene] has displayed the effeminate trend towards no interest in building either.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:33 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by combatpigg
Ever since the very beginning of model aviation, women have shown virtually ZERO interest in building model airplanes.
Every generation of men [since "Super Glue" and Monokote arrived on the scene] has displayed the effeminate trend towards no interest in building either.
I am happy that women do what they do...LOL Now if a guy tries that he'll get a fat lip or worse...I'll step on his ARF!!!
Old 12-15-2014, 06:35 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Rvander
Wow... Yet another negative post... One after another... Whether its AMA, IMAA, IMAC,... Again would be awesome to hit some threads on positive things in the hobby...
Oh, don't forget the AMA magazine too. Overpriced, useless, propaganda, etc etc.

It's just to easy for some people to be negative, and paint everything in a negative, and more alarmingly, conspiratorial light. Sucks the fun out of the hobby when you meet those folks at the field, almost the same here.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:37 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
I am happy that women do what they do...LOL Now if a guy tries that he'll get a fat lip or worse...I'll step on his ARF!!!
yeeouch! Will the foamies remain unscathed?
Old 12-15-2014, 06:39 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by porcia83
yeeouch! Will the foamies remain unscathed?
If he's flying a foamy, I have already distanced myself... LOL
Old 12-15-2014, 06:46 PM
porcia83
Banned

ZING !

It's good to have high standards.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:44 AM
chopper52

Originally Posted by Rvander
+1 If you don't want the mag coming to you house, Have it sent to your computer and yes they do that... Read your renewal card, then if you don't want it
HIT THE DELETE BUTTON!!!!!!
Old 12-16-2014, 06:55 AM
BobbyMcGee

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
If he's flying a foamy, I have already distanced myself... LOL

A man and his foamy! Ha! That could be seen as an effeminate example.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:14 AM
BobbyMcGee

Originally Posted by porcia83
He's not reading MA, that's for sure. Either he is mistaken as to what mag he is reading, or his comments are not factually correct. After all, he said the mag doesn't even get to the house, it goes right into the trash.

No alternative publication was named either. Hmm?
I was reading (or at least glancing through) Model Aviation magazine for years before I finally gave up on it altogether sometime in 2009. To this day, I still hear enough of the club members complaining about the magazine and saying the same things as I wrote. The general sentiment I've heard is that the magazine is written for beginners coming into the hobby. So, with that, I don't waste my time reading MA because I get nothing out of it.

I don't feel that I need to state that I read any alternative publication, whether I do or not. That has no bearing on my statement that MA is useless.

I agree that MA should be switched to an internet publication, but the good ol' boys in the AMA wouldn't go for that because they want to use the magazine as a revenue source for their own personal/financial gain.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:28 AM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

I am enjoying the option to take the print edition, the online edition, or both.
I very seldom ever read anything in the Model Aviation magazine, and it seemed to be a big waste of a tree to me, so I opted for the digital edition only.
It is nice to have the option of having access to the digital issue only, and saving $9.95 and part of a tree.
It seems as if most of you have no idea that a digital copy of MA is even available. The annual dues for AMA with the print and digital editions is $57.95, and the annual dues with the digital edition only is $48.00.
My interests are only in aerobatic and 3D at this time, so the magazine venue doesn't appeal to me. Magazines cover many aspects of the hobby that have absolutely no interest to me. I would much rather spend my RC reading time on the internet, looking up specific things that I have questions about. Digital information is easly accessed, and more timely.
I just logged onto the AMA site and looked at the most recent edition of MA, and noticed that I haven't even looked at an issue since April 2014. Saved me a few walks to the garbage can.
It was suggested that a person could donate issues of MA to the local library....I tried this, and they weren't interested, and didn't want the magazines. I contacted a local VA hospital to see if they would want my collection of old model magazines that dated back to the 60's, and they also weren't interested. Finally got rid of them to the landfill a few months back.

Greg

Last edited by OldRookie; 12-16-2014 at 08:04 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.