Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

The MA mag for joining AMA

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

The MA mag for joining AMA

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 07:58 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The MA mag for joining AMA

I joined AMA for the insurance several years ago, and because it was a requirement to join a club. I have been into R/C since I was a kid, have built all sorts of aircraft, and use to enjoy the modeling magazines purchased at the LHS. But it has also been several years since I have purchased one because of the lack of any kind of building between the pages. The MA that comes from AMA as part of renewal is pulled from the mail box and deposited directly into the trash can. Until now, Octobers issue was sent to the wrong house on the street and was just handed to me in my living room. I was telling my neighbor thanks and that it will go into the trash when I happened to look down. The first thing I saw was, top center and orangy, the words Top Tips for Building. And of course that caught my attention being as there has not been anything of the such in magazines in quite some time. So, I investigated further and was pleasantly surprised to find I was holding a magazine very reminiscent of days gone by. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised that this was a "build" issue and was actually very interesting. I hope the trend continues and I hope MA has learned that even though modeling seems to be more ARF's and the such no one really cares to buy and read about them. Shoot, I even enjoyed the bashing an ARF article. I don't care what the plane is I just want to see what someone can do with it, not what a machine has done and why it's so great.
Anyway, "Bravo" MA on a nice mag for a change.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:02 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a waste of a magazine, not sure what throwing it away has ever accomplished? Why not donate it to the library, local school, or veterans home?
Old 12-14-2014, 12:17 PM
acerc

At least it goes in the recycle ben.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:24 PM
porcia83
Banned

Well, there's that!
Old 12-14-2014, 12:26 PM
acerc

If all of them was like this October issue I would re-subscribe and keep them, BUT.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:30 PM
porcia83
Banned

If they had pics in the center that folded out.....well...now THAT would be nice.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:38 PM
acerc

Oh yea, I can see that big ole Cargomaster on a two page spread now. Ohhhh, baby!!
Old 12-14-2014, 03:39 PM
binns aero

Really ? Thats all you guys got? A big fat cargomaster.
Old 12-14-2014, 03:50 PM
porcia83
Banned

Hey man...some people are into BBWs, not that there's anything wrong with that! My anaconda don't want none unless its got buns hun.

How about a nice Connie.........oh ya!
Old 12-14-2014, 04:29 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When RCM was alive it covered all aspects of the industry. They failed because they did honest reviews of kits and accessories. I was a subscriber to MAN until they stopped catering to the model community and got on-board with corporate interests.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:36 PM
porcia83
Banned

The magazine business is an extremely difficult one to be successful at, and that was true before the advent of the internet. Sure, a magazine can go under due to gross mismanagement, but typically it's because they don't grow or at least maintain a large subscription base. If a magazine did honest reviews, it's doubtful that would be the reason for it's demise. Would seem to be that people would like that and either get a new subscription, or at least renew. Then again, if they can read the same thing for free, on a website, why pay for a magazine. Tough business.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:44 PM
porcia83
Banned

Just went back to check on an old thread, the one where the old IMAA magazine was trying to get restarted, via Kickstart. Despite people having paid for a paper subscription, they wanted to start a digital one and were asking for backing for this, to the tune of $60.000. That in and of itself sounded like a ton of money, but alas it was not successful.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-...l#post11894985

322 backers pledged$16,942 against the goal of $60,000.00
Old 12-14-2014, 05:43 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Give it to someone with a bird or animal to line cages or to someone who still uses an outhouse.. What a ton of money they could redirect (to salaries for example) and lower the dues a bit if they axed the rag and just put it online.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:47 PM
LarsL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the MA magazine is a great magazine. There is a ton of information it it if you have an open mind. If you are only looking for build article , then yes you will be disappointed. I enjoy learning about some of the other areas of the hobby such as CL Navy Carrier, Free Flight, Old Timer, etc.

Lars
Old 12-15-2014, 04:48 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
Give it to someone with a bird or animal to line cages or to someone who still uses an outhouse.. What a ton of money they could redirect (to salaries for example) and lower the dues a bit if they axed the rag and just put it online.
Right, so then people could complain about the salaries of AMA staff.

Originally Posted by LarsL
I think the MA magazine is a great magazine. There is a ton of information it it if you have an open mind. If you are only looking for build article , then yes you will be disappointed. I enjoy learning about some of the other areas of the hobby such as CL Navy Carrier, Free Flight, Old Timer, etc.

Lars
Ya, it's about the best one out there now isn't it? I can't think of another one that covers the depth and breadth of topics MA does right now. Yes there are ads in there, what magazine doesn't have them? An open mind you ask......good luck!
Old 12-15-2014, 05:27 AM
BobbyMcGee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd rather read the National Enquirer or any other trashy tabloid than to waste my time reading anything written in the MA magazine.

Model Aviation should just put a caption above each article that reads, "The manufacturer told us what to write and paid us a lot of money for this ... It's not an article about this plane, it's a paid advertisement."

MA should also describe themselves as pure fiction, or science fiction.

On the rare occasion of an actual article that is not about a new product, MA merely writes a revamped version of an earlier article, or a complete re-posting of an article that is a year or two old. They must have a very short attention span (ADHD). MA has beaten the "downwind turn" subject to death more times than the subject has appeared on RCU. Now that's bad!!!!!!

When MA arrives in my mailbox, it goes straight into the trash can. Never makes it into the house. It's not even worth putting it into the recycle bin.

Last edited by BobbyMcGee; 12-15-2014 at 05:38 AM.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:37 AM
flyinwalenda

Originally Posted by porcia83
Right, so then people could complain about the salaries of AMA staff.
Well there are already complaints where they state a very good percentage of the yearly dues goes to pay salaries. The printing costs have to be extremely high plus it's a bit archaic to still be printing a magazine in 2014. (unless you are in the magazine business) I'm sure the actual numbers of members who actually sit down and read it versus those who put it on/in a pile is very low. Put it online and they can misappropriate ....err' ah.....redistribute, err'..ah.... redirect that savings elsewhere .
Old 12-15-2014, 07:55 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Might I suggest that if original content is what you desire, then maybe taking the time to write and submit something instead of bashing would be the way to go?

"The manufacturer told us what to write and paid us a lot of money for this ... It's not an article about this plane, it's a paid advertisement."
i can assure you that's not the case.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:30 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by BobbyMcGee
I'd rather read the National Enquirer or any other trashy tabloid than to waste my time reading anything written in the MA magazine.

Model Aviation should just put a caption above each article that reads, "The manufacturer told us what to write and paid us a lot of money for this ... It's not an article about this plane, it's a paid advertisement."

MA should also describe themselves as pure fiction, or science fiction.

On the rare occasion of an actual article that is not about a new product, MA merely writes a revamped version of an earlier article, or a complete re-posting of an article that is a year or two old. They must have a very short attention span (ADHD). MA has beaten the "downwind turn" subject to death more times than the subject has appeared on RCU. Now that's bad!!!!!!

When MA arrives in my mailbox, it goes straight into the trash can. Never makes it into the house. It's not even worth putting it into the recycle bin.
Speaking of science fiction, how would you know about all the articles in there if you mag goes right to the trashcan? C'mon...admit it, you read it, and you read it just for the articles, not the pics.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:47 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
Well there are already complaints where they state a very good percentage of the yearly dues goes to pay salaries. The printing costs have to be extremely high plus it's a bit archaic to still be printing a magazine in 2014. (unless you are in the magazine business) I'm sure the actual numbers of members who actually sit down and read it versus those who put it on/in a pile is very low. Put it online and they can misappropriate ....err' ah.....redistribute, err'..ah.... redirect that savings elsewhere .
Right you are, so increasing the salaries would be a good move why? I'm sure printing costs are a substantive part of expenses for the mag, but chances are revenue from ads, and things like clubs placing ads in there offset that. It's either revenue neutral, or makes them money. Simple fact is no other magazine comes close to offering what they do, and people obviously want it, that's why it' still around.

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Might I suggest that if original content is what you desire, then maybe taking the time to write and submit something instead of bashing would be the way to go?

i can assure you that's not the case.

of course it's not the case, but there's no sense in trying to convince folks otherwise. Bashing something, heck anything, is a sport. It's easy to do, find something you don't like and just complain.

Fact is the magazine is the most inclusive when it comes to rc modeling. I'm not aware of anything even close to it that's currently available. Haven't seen one person yet complaining come up with something similar, wonder why. It can't be everything to everyone. Seems like they have adapted to the changing world of RC and responded to consumers needs (how novel), and that has either angered the folks stuck in the past. There' s a reason the other mags folded (bad pun intended).
Old 12-15-2014, 09:25 AM
flyinwalenda

Originally Posted by porcia83
Right you are, so increasing the salaries would be a good move why? I'm sure printing costs are a substantive part of expenses for the mag, but chances are revenue from ads, and things like clubs placing ads in there offset that. It's either revenue neutral, or makes them money. Simple fact is no other magazine comes close to offering what they do, and people obviously want it, that's why it' still around. .
No one but you said anything about raising salaries. If cash is tight for the AMA then they should (like other reputable businesses ) look for ways to cut costs; like cuts in salaries, benefits , etc..or the high costs of printing a magazine that is 3/4 advertisements.....not keep raising membership dues.

Please show me the stats where an overwhelming number of members still want this outdated magazine.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:33 AM
acerc

Come on guys, lets not have the same ole beating on each other. My original post was because I was surprised that MA went, even if only an annual issue, into the build world. I don't take interest in all the ARF's and park flyers in a manner worthy of subscribing, but that's just me. Obviously there are plenty that like it the way it is.
Now, as for another means of finding build articles, well, there is always RCU, RCG, FG, SB, RCC, as well as numerous full scale forums. Personally I don't need a magazine to find practically anything I want to know, build or otherwise.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:09 AM
flyinwalenda

Fair enough. My thoughts will always be; who wants this rag anyway now-a-days ? The last estate sale I went to there was a decades old collection of modeling magazines floor to ceiling in cabinets 30' long. Magazines that were chock-full of kit , scratch builds, plans, etc... Guess what?.......Nobody wanted them ...couldn't give them away. Yes maybe a few folks wanted one or two editions to complete a collection but not worth it. It's a waste of money and resources to keep printing it....make it electronic and lower the dues!
Old 12-15-2014, 10:42 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by acerc
Come on guys, lets not have the same ole beating on each other. My original post was because I was surprised that MA went, even if only an annual issue, into the build world. I don't take interest in all the ARF's and park flyers in a manner worthy of subscribing, but that's just me. Obviously there are plenty that like it the way it is.
Now, as for another means of finding build articles, well, there is always RCU, RCG, FG, SB, RCC, as well as numerous full scale forums. Personally I don't need a magazine to find practically anything I want to know, build or otherwise.
Apologize if it's coming off at least on my part as "beating" on anyone else. I thought we were having a good conversation, I've got no issue with anything said to me. Agree 100% about other ways to get the information we want, the web has opened up a whole new opportunity there. It's actually overwhelming sometimes, but sure better to have more than less.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:53 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm not certain on this, but when you renew your AMA, don't you have the option of NOT receiving the magazine?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.