Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

FAA enrolls State, and local Law enforcement to curb UAS, and model aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

FAA enrolls State, and local Law enforcement to curb UAS, and model aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 02:35 PM
Frank Alvarez

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default FAA enrolls State, and local Law enforcement to curb UAS, and model aircraft?

January 8–The proliferation of small, relatively inexpensive unmanned aircraft (UAS) presents the Federal Aviation Administration with a challenge in identifying people who don’t follow the rules of the air or who endanger the nation’s airspace. So, the agency is asking the law enforcement community for help.
The FAA released guidance to the law enforcement community explaining the legal framework for the agency’s oversight of aviation safety in the U.S., including UAS operations. The guidance describes how UAS and model aircraft can be operated legally, and the options for legal enforcement actions against unauthorized or unsafe UAS operators. The document also discusses the law enforcement community’s vital role in deterring, detecting and investigating unsafe operations.
State and local police are often in the best position to immediately investigate unauthorized UAS operations, and as appropriate, to stop them. The document explains how first responders and others can provide invaluable assistance to the FAA by:

• Identifying potential witnesses and conducting initial interviews
  • Contacting the suspected operators of the UAS or model aircraft
  • Viewing and recording the location of the event
  • Collecting evidence
  • Identifying if the UAS operation was in a sensitive location, event or activity
  • Notifying one of the FAA’s Regional Operation Centers about the operation as soon as possible
The FAA’s goal is to promote voluntary compliance by educating individual UAS operators about how they can operate safely under current regulations and laws, but the guidance makes clear the agency’s authority to pursue legal enforcement action against persons who endanger the safety of the National Airspace System.
The guidance stresses that while the FAA exercises caution not to mix criminal law enforcement with agency administrative safety enforcements, the public is best served by coordinating and fostering mutual understanding and cooperation between governmental entities with law enforcement responsibilities.
> View the FAA’s law enforcement guidance
> More information on the FAA and UAS,
Old 01-09-2015, 03:36 PM
cj_rumley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Frank,

Thanks for passing that along. It's the clearest and most concise statement to date of FAA's position on UAS including model aircraft, well supported by links to provide further definition and clarification as may be needed.
I'm a little ambivalent about the the FAA reaching out to local law enforcement to do their policing; my general view on governance has a libertarian bias, which is to say 'the best government is the least government.' This may well turn out to be the least government approach, though. My main concern with the pending regulation has been with the extended delays in getting the rules on the street, rather than the details of content, as I think we have gleaned a pretty good overview picture of it from bits and pieces. Pols at the local and state level have gotten restless and itching to get their own will in the laws to 'control' us, and that would probably be much worse. When local pols get involved, they most often take the easiest approach: ordinances that put an outright ban on activities that offend some of their constituency. At the state level, my primary residence and so flying venues are in CA. We've got Dianne Feinstein, and she has already been prating about 'drones.' If you don't like FAA's rules, you sure as hell ain't gonna like hers.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:15 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by Frank Alvarez
January 8–The proliferation of small, relatively inexpensive unmanned aircraft (UAS) presents the Federal Aviation Administration with a challenge in identifying people who don’t follow the rules of the air or who endanger the nation’s airspace. So, the agency is asking the law enforcement community for help.
The FAA released guidance to the law enforcement community explaining the legal framework for the agency’s oversight of aviation safety in the U.S., including UAS operations. The guidance describes how UAS and model aircraft can be operated legally, and the options for legal enforcement actions against unauthorized or unsafe UAS operators. The document also discusses the law enforcement community’s vital role in deterring, detecting and investigating unsafe operations.
State and local police are often in the best position to immediately investigate unauthorized UAS operations, and as appropriate, to stop them. The document explains how first responders and others can provide invaluable assistance to the FAA by:

• Identifying potential witnesses and conducting initial interviews
  • Contacting the suspected operators of the UAS or model aircraft
  • Viewing and recording the location of the event
  • Collecting evidence
  • Identifying if the UAS operation was in a sensitive location, event or activity
  • Notifying one of the FAA’s Regional Operation Centers about the operation as soon as possible
The FAA’s goal is to promote voluntary compliance by educating individual UAS operators about how they can operate safely under current regulations and laws, but the guidance makes clear the agency’s authority to pursue legal enforcement action against persons who endanger the safety of the National Airspace System.
The guidance stresses that while the FAA exercises caution not to mix criminal law enforcement with agency administrative safety enforcements, the public is best served by coordinating and fostering mutual understanding and cooperation between governmental entities with law enforcement responsibilities.
> View the FAA’s law enforcement guidance
> More information on the FAA and UAS,
Wonderful. I was wondering how long it would take for the agency to get it's act together. I think that long list of sightings and close calls finally got them to do something positive.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:17 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Frank,

Thanks for passing that along. It's the clearest and most concise statement to date of FAA's position on UAS including model aircraft, well supported by links to provide further definition and clarification as may be needed.
I'm a little ambivalent about the the FAA reaching out to local law enforcement to do their policing; my general view on governance has a libertarian bias, which is to say 'the best government is the least government.' This may well turn out to be the least government approach, though. My main concern with the pending regulation has been with the extended delays in getting the rules on the street, rather than the details of content, as I think we have gleaned a pretty good overview picture of it from bits and pieces. Pols at the local and state level have gotten restless and itching to get their own will in the laws to 'control' us, and that would probably be much worse. When local pols get involved, they most often take the easiest approach: ordinances that put an outright ban on activities that offend some of their constituency. At the state level, my primary residence and so flying venues are in CA. We've got Dianne Feinstein, and she has already been prating about 'drones.' If you don't like FAA's rules, you sure as hell ain't gonna like hers.
I think Feinstein just asked the FAA to do something. Well, this is it.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:51 AM
TimJ

Guys, it is important to read what is in the Law Enforcment guidance PDF. Here is a sample:

Model Aircraft Operations
An important distinction to be aware of is whether the UAS is being operated for hobby or
recreational purposes or for some other purpose. This distinction is important because there are
specific requirements in the FAA Modernization
and Reform Act of 2012, Public Law 112
-
(the Act) that pertain to “Model Aircraft” operations, which are conducted solely for hobby or
recreational purposes. While flying model aircraft for hobby or recreational purposes does not
require FAA approval,
all model aircraft operators must operate safely and in accordance with
the law. The FAA provides guidance and information to individual UAS operators about how
they can operate safely under current regulations and laws. Guidance may be found at:
http://www.faa.gov/uas/publications/model_aircraft_operators/
Section 336(c) of the Act defines “Model Aircraft” as an unmanned aircraft that is

(1) Capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere;
(2) Flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft; and
(3) Flown for hobby or recreational purposes.
Each element of this definition must be met for a UAS to be considered a Model Aircraft
under
the Act. Under Section 336(a) of the Act the FAA is restricted from conducting further
rulemaking specific to Model Aircraft as defined in section 336(c) so long as the Model
Aircraft operations are conducted in accordance with the requirements of section 336(a).
Section 336(a) requires that...

It is important to realize this guidance is to help law enforcement. If you are not flying recklessly and following AMA Safety guidelines, you have nothing to worry about.

Last edited by TimJ; 01-12-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:58 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exactly...if you don't do nothing wrong...you won't get caught.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:47 AM
Silent-AV8R

It is also my sense that this is really directed at the flights around stadiums, et. I sincerely doubt the local police are going to be driving around on the lookout for rogue drone operations.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:14 AM
porcia83
Banned

They aren't, but that's not message the OP wants to convey. Repeatedly.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:44 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
I I sincerely doubt the local police are going to be driving around on the lookout for rogue drone operations.
At least when they (the police) ask the model aviator to produce his AMA card and do find rogue model airplane flyers they will feel a little better about choke holds and taser use.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:34 AM
bradpaul

Default New FAA Drone Policy Disaster in the Making

From FLYING magazine online:

http://www.flyingmag.com/blogs/going...G4BkPVOVlTV.99
Old 01-16-2015, 11:07 AM
porcia83
Banned

There are some good articles in there, not 100% slanted one way or the other, at least differing perspectives are noted.

I liked the article on gas prices falling....just crept under $2.00 in CT...can't remember the last time that happened.

The best advice I saw in the first article was this:

My best advice for operators who find themselves face to face with a person with a badge is to keep things calm.

A harsh reaction to someone with a badge, gun, and tazer is not going to end well for one of the persons.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:40 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by bradpaul
Apparently the author seems to think that it is OK for imbeciles to endanger my person or property with their toys. Well, he is entitled to his opinion, wrong headed though it may be. For me, I want law enforcement to happen.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:50 PM
bradpaul

Originally Posted by JohnShe
Apparently the author seems to think that it is OK for imbeciles to endanger my person or property with their toys. Well, he is entitled to his opinion, wrong headed though it may be. For me, I want law enforcement to happen.
Another unfunded mandate that could distract LE from working on assaults, murders, rapes, burglaries and take time away from patrolling Duncan Donuts..................................
Old 01-16-2015, 04:36 PM
JohnShe

Another unfunded mandate that could distract LE from working on assaults, murders, rapes, burglaries and take time away from patrolling Duncan Donuts..................................
Great idea, that should be inserted into the AM safety code: "Never fly near a Duncan Donuts."
Old 01-16-2015, 06:50 PM
porcia83
Banned

It's not an unfunded mandate by any stretch. Also, law enforcement is charged with working on all types of criminal activity, as well as ensuring the public's safety. That they seem to be getting guidance and direction from the feds isn't anything to get upset about, but it makes for good conjecture.

Here's another thing local LE is getting some direction on......anybody have a big issue with this?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_6488816.html
Old 01-17-2015, 09:23 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...icle-1.2069079
Old 01-18-2015, 04:30 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
Just another reason I'm glad I don't live in NY. [ rant ] Governments think they can control every aspect of our lives. It's up to us to convince them they can't [ /rant ]
Old 01-18-2015, 05:22 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by skylark-flier
Just another reason I'm glad I don't live in NY. [ rant ] Governments think they can control every aspect of our lives. It's up to us to convince them they can't [ /rant ]
It's not just NY that this will be happening in, and to some degree with good reason. Folks can hate on local/state/federal govt because that's the easy and popular thing to do now, but they are the same ones who avail themselves of the benefits of said govt entities 100 times a day.

Why does govt need to be involved...because of people like this:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=50e_1421573155

Yes, I know it's in another country...think this hasn't happened here? Yet?

Like the flying wasn't bad enough...that watermark, not the best move.

Last edited by porcia83; 01-18-2015 at 05:24 AM.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:19 AM
JohnShe

Clearly a wrongheaded overreaction. It will be happening often due to the imbeciles who take their toys out to play and create serious hazards.

They need to put something positive in the law. Maybe recognize AMA chartered flying clubs, or a well managed park flyer program.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:22 AM
vertical grimmace

Here in CO, 2 weeks ago, there was a bill in the stat legislature addressing police use of drones. Piggy backed onto the back page was an outright ban on model aircraft flying. Local club and AMA officials got it removed from the bill.

So some idiot politician feels it is OK for the police to use model aircraft but not the citizenry? The police do not need drones. Maybe the fire dpt. But the not the cops.

Yah, it is really easy to hate on the govt. considering their track record through history. The founders created the bill of rights for a reason. THe govt. needs to be kept under a watchful eye at all times.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:42 AM
porcia83
Banned

Why don't the cops need a quad/multirotor? You don't see any potential use for them?
Old 01-18-2015, 07:56 AM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by porcia83
Why don't the cops need a quad/multirotor? You don't see any potential use for them?
No, I do not, and I will not be convinced otherwise.

But I am not a gov. shill either I am sure we do not agree on the role of gov. in our lives, and that is not going to change. So I will not make an attempt to change your mind, as I am sure it is a waste of time.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:59 AM
vertical grimmace

http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/...ft-in-colorado
Old 01-18-2015, 08:04 AM
porcia83
Banned

No, I do not, and I will not be convinced otherwise.

But I am not a gov. shill either I am sure we do not agree on the role of gov. in our lives, and that is not going to change. So I will not make an attempt to change your mind, as I am sure it is a waste of time.
Well it's good to see we can keep an open mind about things....sheesh.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:09 AM
vertical grimmace

The police have too much power now. They do not need to be given any more. If it were up to me, there would be serious consideration about removing their ability to use fire arms. They have obviously not proven themselves to be responsible with them. Just 2 weeks ago we had a cop empty 11 rounds into someone. Have you ever rattled off 11 rounds before? It takes some time. To me, this was more of an execution, than the prevention of crime.

No, They are not responsible enough to have an aerial surveillance aircraft.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.